-
AuthorContent
Plantcrazii
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 5, 2006
2:38 AM

Post #2883051

Here are some photos of my terrarium. The first photo is of Fittonia "Red Vein".

Jesse

Thumbnail by Plantcrazii
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Plantcrazii
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 5, 2006
2:40 AM

Post #2883056

Here is Optimara Little Creek Girl.

Jesse

Thumbnail by Plantcrazii

Plantcrazii
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 5, 2006
2:43 AM

Post #2883067

Fittonia "Stripes Forever"

Jesse

Thumbnail by Plantcrazii

Plantcrazii
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 5, 2006
2:46 AM

Post #2883073

African Violet Mini Papa

Jesse

Thumbnail by Plantcrazii

Plantcrazii
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 5, 2006
2:48 AM

Post #2883082

Fittonia "Red Anne"

Jesse

Thumbnail by Plantcrazii

Plantcrazii
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 5, 2006
2:50 AM

Post #2883087

Photo taken from the left side.

Jesse

Thumbnail by Plantcrazii

Plantcrazii
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 5, 2006
2:51 AM

Post #2883092

Mini Papa African Violet bloom

Jesse

Thumbnail by Plantcrazii

Plantcrazii
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 5, 2006
2:52 AM

Post #2883097

Photo taken from the right side.

Jesse

Thumbnail by Plantcrazii

Plantcrazii
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 5, 2006
2:56 AM

Post #2883109

Strawberry Begonia. A little piece of my strawberry begonia fell off so I put it in the terrarium to see if it would root. I just laid it on the soil and closed the lid. But it did root and is looking good.

Jesse

Thumbnail by Plantcrazii

Plantcrazii
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 5, 2006
2:58 AM

Post #2883115

Front view of my terrarium.

Jesse

Thumbnail by Plantcrazii

Plantcrazii
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 5, 2006
3:10 AM

Post #2883149

Here is what it looked like when I first planted it. It sure has grown a lot in a few months.

Jesse

Thumbnail by Plantcrazii

jabes
Cape Coral, FL

November 5, 2006
9:13 PM

Post #2885062

Just came to site looking for a picture of Fittonia verschaffelti to determine size for my very small terrarium -- (only 10 by 20 by about 13 inches tall at the peak). great photos and I think the red one is similiar to the one that Glass House has for sale. Have you ever seen a smaller one that looks like Red Vein?? thanks for sharing your pictures and info. when I get it all together will do the same. Going to try mixing succulents in with others so should be interesting at watering time. Julie Wallsh
Plantcrazii
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 15, 2006
4:34 AM

Post #2914753

Here is a new photo of that little AV called Mini Papa. It sure has grown. And look at all of the buds on that little thing. I think it is the prettiest little AV I've ever seen. I would love to have a huge tank full of AVs.

Jesse

Thumbnail by Plantcrazii

cedarnest
Northeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

November 15, 2006
4:42 AM

Post #2914760

Wow Jesse! That Mini Papa is really a beauty! So many blooms! Thats really amazing how much everything grew in just 4 months.Now you have me thinking...You definitely have me wanting to try my hand with a terrarium. : )
Nancy
Plantcrazii
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 15, 2006
5:39 AM

Post #2914794

I was thinking of getting a large tank to put all of my mini AVs in. That would be so neat. I don't think they sell the type of tank that I really want (I think the larger ones would be way too tall) so I would need to make my own. I have a square piece of wood (top of a coffee table) that matches the two end tables that we bought from the previous tenants. They are made out of really nice wood. It is square which would be great for putting something like this on. I could have two (one for top and one for bottom) pieces of Plexiglas cut the size of the top and 4 other pieces to use as the sides. I could get the nice decorative spindles that you can buy from HD and use those for legs. It would be really awesome. It is only an idea right now, but who knows, maybe one day I will have the money to make this and it will be the coolest AV terrarium ever.

Jesse
aprilwillis
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 15, 2006
6:59 AM

Post #2914838

Very nice! Good use of color.
cedarnest
Northeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

November 15, 2006
5:08 PM

Post #2916025

Your idea sounds wonderful Jesse. Hope you can make it all come together.I would Love to see your finished product. Now I wouldn't have the slightest idea of how to make one.Lord knows what it would look like when I got finished LOL .Now my mother... grows all her mini av's in a terrarium and she said she loves it.I gave her a few of my minis that weren't doing well for me and she claims they are all beautiful for her in the terrarium.That just might be the answer. : )
Nancy
PalmBchBill
West Palm Beach, FL
(Zone 10b)

November 29, 2006
1:38 AM

Post #2952018

I was inspired by looking at your terrariums so I decided to put our old fish tank to better use than collecting dust.
Here it is day one.

Thumbnail by PalmBchBill

1gardengram
Fayetteville, NC
(Zone 8a)

December 11, 2006
4:44 AM

Post #2989236

This is my first terrarium, started this summer, and these are pictures taken at that time. On the right under the arrowhead-shaped ivy is a cake holder thing I got at the thrift shop just to add height since this was a 35 gallon aquarium. The gray rock on the left used to be in the aquarium. I left most of the original gravel, added soil and covered the very front along the glass and the surface with that Spanish moss stuff to hide the dirt. I have added NOID AVs since then (in case they did not make it), but they are very large and healthy now, and I've had to beat the several ivy plants back with a machete. The little fern had a hard summer as I was in the hospital a lot, but it's on its way back. The bright green plant with the waffle leaves has been really beautiful. The lid has a couple of holes in the back where the pump, etc., used to go, so I have to keep mine misted and watch their dryness level. I love the poulty baster idea. I've been using an old soup can in order to get the water right where I want it.

Thumbnail by 1gardengram

1gardengram
Fayetteville, NC
(Zone 8a)

December 11, 2006
4:45 AM

Post #2989238

Thumbnail by 1gardengram

Plantcrazii
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 11, 2006
5:17 AM

Post #2989271

Here is an update of my terrarium. First is a photo of the mini African violet named Mini Papa.

Jesse

Thumbnail by Plantcrazii

Plantcrazii
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 11, 2006
5:20 AM

Post #2989274

Here is my mini AV named Optimara Little Creek Girl. She has just started putting out some buds. I can hardly wait until she blooms.

Jesse

Thumbnail by Plantcrazii

Plantcrazii
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 11, 2006
5:23 AM

Post #2989281

Here is a shot taken from the front of the terrarium. I still have to take a shot from above.

Jesse

Thumbnail by Plantcrazii

Plantcrazii
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 11, 2006
5:26 AM

Post #2989286

Look at this little piece of Strawberry Begonia. I took this off of my hanging basket and just laid it on the soil and it took root. It is right in the middle of the photo.

Jesse

Thumbnail by Plantcrazii

Plantcrazii
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 11, 2006
7:02 AM

Post #2989312

Here is a photo taken from above my terrarium.
Jesse

Thumbnail by Plantcrazii

nutmegnana
Adamstown, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 13, 2006
2:05 AM

Post #2994491

What a lovely garden, Jesse. What kind of cover do you use on your terrarium?
SW_gardener

(Zone 6a)

March 5, 2007
12:03 AM

Post #3248412

Thats a very nice terrarium Jessie. Your plants have filled it in very nicely.
I'm hoping to do one soon, theres still one lone fish in my tank, I try to keep fish but they just die so I'm going to convert the tank into a terrarium.
Any recent pics?

Steven
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 5, 2007
12:14 AM

Post #3248447

PalmbeachBill, gardengram and jesse...great going...I think I am getting inspired...!!
kls_01
Champaign, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 29, 2007
6:59 PM

Post #3445064

Ooohhh...I definately want one now...
Dimmer
( Kim) Zion, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 1, 2007
10:17 PM

Post #3453184

I put this in the wrong section I would like to start a Terrarium with an African voilet.
If I start one should I put some stones on the bottom than potting soil than the plant it is a old fashion jar with a snap on lid in blue I wood have to go by the jar from the dollar store it is so cute and I don't know what kind of plants I can grow can someone help me
KIM
MzzPool
Pass Christian, MS
(Zone 8b)

May 4, 2007
1:25 PM

Post #3462488

Does anyone mix a little charcoal (like they use in fish tank filters) in with the soil when putting together a terrarium or maybe put some over the rocks before topping with soil? I think I read somewhere it helps keep the soil from smelling?

Thanks,
Megin
Plantcrazii
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 4, 2007
9:21 PM

Post #3463858

I used charcoal in my terrarium. I put a layer of pebbles down on the bottom, then a layer of charcoal, and then my soil. That is how I made mine and it worked great.

Jesse
Dimmer
( Kim) Zion, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 5, 2007
7:20 AM

Post #3464818

I have done that on my first one. does the dirt always fall though to the bottom of the bowl
I was making this for my Mom For Mothers day but it looks kind of bad with the dirt is there any way to stop the dirt from falling?
Kim

Thumbnail by Dimmer

Dimmer
( Kim) Zion, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 5, 2007
7:21 AM

Post #3464822

Here is one more picture

Thumbnail by Dimmer

Plantcrazii
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 6, 2007
1:48 AM

Post #3467518

Dimmer,

I think yours looks great. I do not see anything wrong with it. I am sure that your mother will love it.

Jesse
MzzPool
Pass Christian, MS
(Zone 8b)

May 6, 2007
5:35 AM

Post #3467674

Dimmer -- If you don't like the dirt falling to the bottom, maybe you could insert a piece of screen (like for a window) before you put in the soil.
Dimmer
( Kim) Zion, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 6, 2007
7:48 AM

Post #3467783

I like that Idea about the screen and thanks for tell me it looks good I just didn't know if the dirt was to fall to the bottom. It is my first one I am sure my Mom will like it

Kim

Wvdaisy
Buffalo, WV
(Zone 7a)

May 6, 2007
6:00 PM

Post #3469456

You can also use landscape fabric.

Lana

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Terrarium Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
How to start? LittleHippyGirl 3 Apr 9, 2007 7:08 AM
Terrarium Links begoniacrazii 42 Jun 21, 2007 2:52 PM
My new terrarium Plantcrazii 13 May 7, 2007 1:55 PM
My new dart frogs/vivarium! clarkranch 14 Oct 31, 2007 8:11 AM
Setting up my first terrarium Wvdaisy 32 Aug 6, 2007 6:19 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America