Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Winter Sowing: Winter Sowing Seed Swap .....part 2

Communities > Forums > Winter Sowing
bookmark
Forum: Winter SowingReplies: 213, Views: 2,141
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
alicewho
North Augusta, SC
(Zone 8a)

November 6, 2006
3:35 AM

Post #2886253

Winter Sowing Seed Swap, continued from
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/651635/

Started a new thread since the original was getting so long.
Alice

===============
Winter Sowing Seed Swap.
We'll limit this to 20 people, so you'll need to send 20 packs of seeds, all the same or different, along with a return address label and postage.
My address is in the address exchange.
If you're new to winter sowing check out
[HYPERLINK@www.wintersown.org]
for idea's and seed suggestions.

Have your seeds to me by November 30 so that I can mail them out before the Holiday rush and Winter Solstice.

1- Alicewho ***
2- critterologist ***received 11/20
3- claypa ***received 11/30
4- kaykay1010
5- Shirley1md ***received 10/02
6- Illoquin ***received 09/29
7- happy_macomb ***received 11/30
8- Brent_In_NoVa ***received 10/07
9- dispatcher1 ***received 11/06
10- beaker_ch ***received 11/18
11- utlucky ***received 10/03
12- cegoins ***received 10/10
13- garden6 ***received 10/26
14- lafko06 ***received 10/28
15- etravia ***received 10/18
16- Hineni ***received 10/03
17- frausnow ***received 10/30
18- pamsue ***received 11/10
19- bluespiral ***received 11/08
20- Heavinscent ***received 10/23

=================
And just to summarize:

o Use a bubble envelope or bubble wrap to send seeds to Alice;
o Include 20 packets of seed;
o The amount of seed is whatever you feel comfortable with. If you are looking for guidelines, see the Seed Trading Primer in Extras;
o Can be all one seed type or different seed types;
o You can use anything for seed packs, but make sure they won't fall out and tape is not in a location where seeds could stick. The glycine envelopes work best for tiny seeds as opposed to plastic;
o Identify each seed pack with the contents and include your DG name (see Shirley's post on 9/15 at 4:22);
o Include 63 cents in postage not coin;
o Include a mailing label with your own address on it;
o Do not use scotch tape to seal a reused bubble envelope; and
o Write WS Swap on outside of the envelope sent to Alice.

This message was edited Nov 30, 2006 4:36 PM
pepsidrinker
La Salle, MI
(Zone 5b)

November 6, 2006
3:37 AM

Post #2886261

Good idea ;-)

Connie
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 6, 2006
3:50 AM

Post #2886282

I'll start working on labels & bagging this week, since harvesting & drying is pretty much completed. I know Connie is hoping I'll start with the Lion's Ear seeds she wants... Connie, are we doing a trade, or am I just tucking an extra packet of these in with my swap seeds (with your name & swap # on it)?
alicewho
North Augusta, SC
(Zone 8a)

November 6, 2006
3:57 AM

Post #2886299

Anyone try winter sowing tomatoes? If so, how did they do for you?
Alice
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 6, 2006
4:16 AM

Post #2886329

If I remember, wintersowing.org thinks they do just fine, and Trudie included tomato seeds in the free seeds she sent to me specifically for winter sowing. So based on those clues, I'd say it'd be fine.
pepsidrinker
La Salle, MI
(Zone 5b)

November 6, 2006
11:04 AM

Post #2886581

Critter, we can trade, don't know if I have anything you want or you can send it to alice to put in my envelope, if she doesn't mind... why don't you d-mail me what you are looking for :o)

Alice when I sent off to the WS site for free seeds, Trudi sent me some heirloom tomato seeds to winter sow... So I am assuming they do pretty good. this will be my first year to WS...

Connie
alicewho
North Augusta, SC
(Zone 8a)

November 6, 2006
4:06 PM

Post #2887336

Connie, Yes, tomato seeds do WS well. A couple of years ago I WS'd all my tomatoes, had good germination but they seemed to be slower to grow which isn't a good thing when our summer heat arrives early...so last year I went back to growing them all under lights which meant they were already bigger when the weather was warm enough to transplant. So I'm not convinced it's the best method for tomatoes in my Zone, but wanted to see what experience other WS'ers had with them. I'm considering growing them by both methods this year so see if there's any real difference in growth, disease and production.
Alice
pepsidrinker
La Salle, MI
(Zone 5b)

November 6, 2006
4:25 PM

Post #2887385

Alice, I don't have a green house or a place to grow by lights so it will be by wsing and spring sowing for me... Hope they all work out for you... Take lots of pics :o) to show and tell...

Connie

bluespiral

bluespiral

(Zone 7a)

November 7, 2006
3:25 AM

Post #2889617

Alice, I sent in my seeds today to you.

Regarding wintersowing tomatoes, I wonder whether some varieties do better with that technique than others? Probably, what does best in one area would not necessarily do best in a different area. Many years ago, we planted cherry tomatoes, and they self-sowed in that spot over many winters - don't remember the variety. No disease in all those years - sure is different now.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 7, 2006
3:39 AM

Post #2889662

Maybe I should include some 'Wild Cherry' tomato seeds for this swap. It "volunteered" in my perennial bed again this year (I put it over by the lilies initially so it would be a little isolated for seed saving purposes)... They're little currant-sized tomatoes with huge flavor. I had 2 vigorous plants this summer that grew quickly enough without an indoor start and produced plenty of tasty garden snacks!

I figure if it comes up that easily on its own, it should be an excellent WS candidate. I also had volunteers of 'Stupice' again this year that produced fairly well... I suspect WS might work better with "early" tomato varieties, as they'll have plenty of time to produce a good harvest before the end of the season... Some of my late tomatoes barely get into the swing of things before the weather turns cooler, even with an 8 week head start indoors.
alicewho
North Augusta, SC
(Zone 8a)

November 7, 2006
5:04 AM

Post #2889819

Critter, I'd love some of your 'Wild Cherry' tomato seeds. We love trying new tomatoes.
Alice
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 7, 2006
5:18 AM

Post #2889843

I finished fermenting another round of them last week, and the first ones are nicely dried now... I'll include several packets... :-)
pamsue
Gresham, OR
(Zone 8a)

November 7, 2006
4:34 PM

Post #2891026

oh did i say the seeds are in the mail...hope everybody likes what i sent..cuz it took forever to harvest...and the weather wasnt cooperating...we have nasty weather here

pamsue
pepsidrinker
La Salle, MI
(Zone 5b)

November 7, 2006
4:38 PM

Post #2891044

Don't feel bad Pam, we do too :(

Jill I would love to try some of your Wild Cherry Tomato's

Connie
garden6
Lansing, KS
(Zone 5b)

November 7, 2006
5:15 PM

Post #2891164

Pam~ I'm sure I will love any and everything I receive in this swap. The generosity of everybody here is a positive reassurance that there are and remain some good people on earth and they can be found... in the garden! ;0)
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 7, 2006
5:16 PM

Post #2891166

Alice, I was trying to think of an easy way to mark packets that particular people said they wanted... I have little white labels that I'm going to stick on the front of the pre-designated packets, I think... For example, two of the 'Wild Cherry' tomato packets now have little stickers on them that say "#1 Alice" and "#12 cegoins." Does that sound like it'll work for you? I'll also group the pre-designated ones together with a rubber band around them or something.

If anyone doesn't get something they're hoping for that's on my list, just Dmail me and we can trade... I've got extra packets of most things.

I finally started writing/printing label slips to slip inside the seed baggies... Not only do I need to get my seeds done for this swap, I need to reclaim the dining room table before Thanksgiving! I'll include extras to make up for being one of the last people to get my seeds in... :-)

garden6
Lansing, KS
(Zone 5b)

November 7, 2006
5:18 PM

Post #2891174

Critter~ do you mind including a label for Wild Cherry tomato for me as well? ;0)
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 7, 2006
6:17 PM

Post #2891369

No problem!

If anyone wants "dibs" on any others I've mentioned, PLMK. I can put in more than 2 packets of most of these. However, if you want 10 of the things on my list, we should probably make an arrangement separately from this swap... As it is, by the time I include 2 or 3 packets of everything, my BE to Alice will be pretty full!

I know somebody else had purple coneflowers covered... does anybody want Black-Eyed Susan, or should I leave that one out?

Here's a list of the WS-able seeds on the dining room table:

Agastache 'Honey Bee White'
Agastache 'Honey Bee Blue'
Alpine Strawberry (red)
Annual Lion's Ear (Leonotus nepetifolia)
Basil, Italian Genovese (my pesto favorite, from seeds a friend brought back from Italy)
Basil, Lime
Black-Eyed Susan, Rudbeckia fulgida
Celosia argentea v. spicata, 'Flamingo Flower'
Celosia argentea v. spicata, 'Pink Candles'
Chocolate Daisy (Berlandiera lyrata)
Garlic Chives
Hollyhock -- single burgundy, from 'Happy Lights' mix
Marigold -- tall, rangy plant with small gold blooms, self sown from anti-nematode hybrid variety
Morning Glory fence row mix (mixed and probably crossed seeds of many different varieties)
Penstemon smallii
Tomato, Wild Cherry

alicewho
North Augusta, SC
(Zone 8a)

November 7, 2006
6:19 PM

Post #2891374

Critter,
That should work just fine.
I've got seeds all over the place also...seems to be a year round thing as I still have flowers in bloom.
Once the seed saving mess is cleaned up it will then be replaced with the WS & growing under lights mess and then followed by the propagation mess...always something!
Alice

alicewho
North Augusta, SC
(Zone 8a)

November 7, 2006
6:24 PM

Post #2891398

Hi again Critter, everyone will already be getting Rudbeckia, 'Autumn Colors' from me, but I don't see why anyone would not want to grow several different kinds of Rudbeckia...it's the kind of flower that can fit into any garden.
I's love some of your Chocolate Daisy and Alpine Strawberry...birds never let mine go to seed.
Alice
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 7, 2006
6:35 PM

Post #2891436

My Black-Eyed Susan is the regular gold one... it looks like 'Goldstrum' but I'm not sure of the variety as it was a passalong plant. I've never actually WS'd it, but it self-sows with no trouble at all, LOL.

Here's the Chocolate Daisy... It did have a slight fragrance, but I'm not sure it smelled even a little like chocolate to me. It did look nice by my purple conflowers, though!

Thumbnail by critterologist
Click the image for an enlarged view.

garden6
Lansing, KS
(Zone 5b)

November 7, 2006
6:40 PM

Post #2891459

Critter~ thanks a bunch, don't want to be a pig"oink!oink! OINK! would also love any of the celosia! Thanks again, I'm looking forward to having a gorgeous garden in the Spring courtesy of my gardening friends! ;0)
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 7, 2006
6:48 PM

Post #2891496

I'll tag 'em for you, no problem! Alice, I've got you down for the strawberry and the chocolate daisy, as well as the wild cherry tomato. As I said, if anyone has more then 3 requests we should probably take it to a separate trade/SASBE so I don't end up making too much extra work for Alice... Alice, do you want to give me an upper limit on how many packets to send altogether? ;-)
alicewho
North Augusta, SC
(Zone 8a)

November 7, 2006
6:51 PM

Post #2891511

Thanks Critter. And no, I don't see any reason to set a limit as long as they're marked differently then the ones intended for the group swap.
Alice
garden6
Lansing, KS
(Zone 5b)

November 7, 2006
9:34 PM

Post #2892043

Alice~thank you for your generosity of time and graciousness for us all to share in this treat. BOUQUETS to you! ;0)
dispatcher1
Seymour, IN
(Zone 5b)

November 7, 2006
10:33 PM

Post #2892212

I would love some seeds from Celosia argentea v. spicata, 'Flamingo Flower'.If it's not too much confusion for everyone. It will be my first time to WS, but I'm already dreaming of the flowers that might grow from my first WS experience. It will help me avoid the withdrawal pains of no winter gardening. Thanks so very much to everyone for participating! LOu
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 7, 2006
11:22 PM

Post #2892346

I'll mark out a packet for you, Lou. Judging by the enthusiasm with which they popped up all over this spring, I'd say they're excellent WS candidates. (Not to worry, the seedlings are also very easy to pull out where you don't want them.)
Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

November 8, 2006
1:53 PM

Post #2893950

Hey Critter! That's really nice of you and I'd like to take advantage of the offer by asking for both the celisoias and also the Italian Basil (any basil, actually) I saw a picture of a large pot of all one kind of the celosias (not sure which one it was) and it was really nice looking. I am hoping to duplicate it for my patio next year.

Thanks!
Suzy aka Illoquin
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 8, 2006
2:18 PM

Post #2894012

OK! FYI, these are "Wheatstraw" celosias, which are a bit different from the cockscomb ones or the plumed bedding plants that HD sells... They were 3 ft. tall by the end of summer.

Let's see if I can find a photo...

Here's the 'Flamingo Flower' one... 'Pink Candles' is similar but with some burgundy on the leaves.

bluespiral

bluespiral

(Zone 7a)

November 8, 2006
3:53 PM

Post #2894339

Critter, may I prettyplease put in another oink for your Wild Cherry tomato?

Ditto on kitchen table gone to seed - in fact, half of the room occupied by that table looks like a tool shed. DH is coping nicely, but what an unattainable fantasy: a simple, bare surface with just a posy.
Brent_In_NoVa
Sterling, VA
(Zone 6b)

November 8, 2006
4:21 PM

Post #2894427

My vote would be to take it easy on Alice. A few extra packets and some requests might not be too much work but let's not use Alice as the middleman (err...woman) for all of this season's trades. I hate to think of all the work this will add on top of the effort required just to run the swap.

- Brent
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 8, 2006
4:27 PM

Post #2894446

LOL, yup, that's pretty much an unattainable fantasty here too! I have the posy, though... in the midst of all those plates of drying seeds, my new 'Iced Amethyst Showoff' streptocarpus is blooming away!

Bluespiral, you know I'll share anything I have with you! (And I know it's O/T, but so far our epi cuttings are looking good!)

I'm glad I asked, because this lets me know which extras to include rather than just putting in double packs of everything.

Speaking of which, I've been packing seeds again this morning, and I've got a couple of packets here of Salvia lyrata 'Purple Knockout' http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/64088/index.html. LMK...

Alice, I know you've been sorting into piles for us as seeds come in, but if there are any choices on the remaining ones... I've got mostly full sun and my favorite color is purple (please no gold or orange if possible, and no marigolds). But not to worry, anything that I get that I can't use I will just pass along to somebody who will love it!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 8, 2006
4:31 PM

Post #2894462

Brent, I just saw your post... Alice has said she does not mind the extra packets, as long as they are marked and easy to sort out. I've got enough seeds to send at least 2 packets to everyone on the list, and it's easy enough to put stickers on some packets to earmark them for particular people. I'm certainly not trying to accomplish all my trades through this one swap, LOL.
alicewho
North Augusta, SC
(Zone 8a)

November 8, 2006
7:17 PM

Post #2894904

I don't mind extra packets, as long as they are marked clearly, it's not much, if any more trouble or work. It's as simple as tossing them into the 'numbered' bags I have set up. That's why including the members number is so important. That's also why it's impossible to 'filter' who gets what seeds, with the exception of not getting your own seeds...I pull your numbered bag before distributing your seeds amongst the others bags. And since there is at least one extra pack, since you've sent at least 20, I always put the extra one into the number after yours. Hope this makes since? Not sure that I'm explaining it clearly. But this is an effort to stay fair to everyone with the number of packs you receive.
And you probably will get some seeds you can't use, already have, or just don't care for. But you can share those unwanted seeds with someone else, trade them, send them to a friend, etc..
Alice

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 8, 2006
7:49 PM

Post #2895016

That's fine, and it sounds like a good system. As I said, I will happily pass along any seeds I can't use. :-)
alicewho
North Augusta, SC
(Zone 8a)

November 8, 2006
8:29 PM

Post #2895142

bluespiral - Karen, I received the package you sent today and all I can say is WOW! You put a lot of effort into all these and I think everyone will be pleased when they get the seeds you personally selected for everyone in the group.
And the numbers keep climbing, with the 5 packs of seeds that Karen just sent for each member...hope everyone is ready to get MANY packs of seeds. You'll need to save more containers for WS'ing!
Alice
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 8, 2006
8:35 PM

Post #2895156

Woohoooo! Karen & Alice, you are both just wonderful!!
pepsidrinker
La Salle, MI
(Zone 5b)

November 8, 2006
10:36 PM

Post #2895583

Alice,
Do I need to send you a little extra postage???
If you need me too just give me a jingle and will mail it out asap :o)

Connie
alicewho
North Augusta, SC
(Zone 8a)

November 9, 2006
2:17 AM

Post #2896229

Connie, No that isn't necessary, some members have sent extra postage, so it should all be covered.
Alice
Hineni
Paris, TN
(Zone 6b)

November 9, 2006
3:16 AM

Post #2896487

I was supposed to # something? (faints) Oh dear, I didn't do that. Please forgive me - somehow I must have overlooked that Alice. I also may need to give you my new address or send a new label or something since we may be moved before these go out.

Critter, may I have some chocolate daisy and Agastache Honey Bee Blue since Mama Alice said it was okay? :D

And if not, I'll be happy to d-mail you for an off the list trade.

WE GOT A HOUSE!!!! And there's not a single flower in the yard (big wide-eyed look). And the landlord said "garden away" :D :D :D
Ahem, but d/h said "no flower in the front yard" (sniff, pout, whine) He wants a 'manly tree and grass' yard. Pffft. I'm putting flowers by the mailbox, I don't care if he gets mad. Hmmm, maybe I could toss some seeds there when he's not looking and claim nature not nurture??

Thanks again to everyone who is making this soooo exciting. I can't WAIT!

~Sunny
claypa
West Pottsgrove, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 9, 2006
3:21 AM

Post #2896508

After this, your husband might believe the seeds spilled out of the mailbox! Congratulations on your new place
alicewho
North Augusta, SC
(Zone 8a)

November 9, 2006
3:24 AM

Post #2896522

Sunny, No, you didn't need to number anything. That is for those sending extra seeds intended for a certain member.
And congratulations on the house and don't worry about hubby's no flowers in the front rule...you'll wear him down in time.
Alice
alicewho
North Augusta, SC
(Zone 8a)

November 9, 2006
3:26 AM

Post #2896527

Sunny, you could always put up a bird feeder, plant all around it and tell him that some seeds must have fallen out and planted themselves ;)
Alice
garden6
Lansing, KS
(Zone 5b)

November 9, 2006
3:57 AM

Post #2896617

Bouquets to you Sunny on your new house! :0) How exciting, now you will have so many great flower beds to dream, plan and welcome you out to the gardens!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 9, 2006
4:34 AM

Post #2896667

Congratulations on the new house, Sunny! I'll earmark those seeds for you... and LMK when you start putting together ideas for your new garden(s), and I'll see what else I have that you might be able to use. :-)

bluespiral

bluespiral

(Zone 7a)

November 9, 2006
12:15 PM

Post #2897010

Wonderful on your new home and ground waiting for a garden, Sunny. It took some doing for me to bring DH over to the magic of gardening (a lot of blood, sweat and tears involved, I must say). However, I noticed how much he loved animals, and so I designed the garden to - in large part - be naturalized and to attract birds and hummers and butterflies, as well as to withstand woodchucks, rabbits, deer, etc. heh heh - it worked!

Soooo, what interests does your DH have that might somehow be linked to something having to do with gardening and/or nature? Everyone likes to sit and rest - do I see a gazebo screened against 'skeeters looking out on...what?

Connie, I sent an amount of postage to Alice equal to what it cost to send the seeds ("priority mail" hah), so I thought that the return postage - spread out over everyone's envelopes - would compensate for my extra seeds. The trick to getting the return postage in the form of smaller denominations like - say - 30 1-cent stamps, 40 2-cent stamps, 20 5-cent stamps and the rest in 39-cent stamps - from the post office is to explain in the first place why. Many feathers flew with much harumphing in the process of getting our return postage like this because I just asked for the postage without explaining why in the first place.

Critter, I believe - was it Glenda the white witch in the Wizard of Oz? - that you and I are "in the right place right now" in this company of fellow seed enthusiasts ( http://www.gutenberg.org/catalog/world/results ).
pepsidrinker
La Salle, MI
(Zone 5b)

November 9, 2006
12:33 PM

Post #2897064

blue,
for one the post office shouldn't give you a hassle when you buy stamps, no matter what qty or price,

Connie
Hineni
Paris, TN
(Zone 6b)

November 9, 2006
12:41 PM

Post #2897097

Now those are all terrific ideas...hmmm, seed packets must have leaked, bird feeder spillage...(eyes twinkling) You guys are great :)

And thank you for all the congrats - we are so delighted to get out of the city proper (we live right smack downtown). Atlanta is a beautiful and exciting place, but we're pretty much home-bodies so all of the things that attract others really aren't up our alley (except for the park, which we love). We will lose some of the convenience factor, but we decided the trade-off of land, larger home and the peaceful more rural lifestyle were more than worth it. I only hope that proves to hold true for the commute DH will face - some of it on Ga's worst highway, GA400 (only 8 miles of it thankfully). He said "Even if the drive turns out to be little more stressful, once I turn the corner of the street the house is on, it's like entering the forest and I know I'll be able to decompress more easily." I'm very greatful that he can think of it like that :)

Hmm, sorry Alice for pulling this thread off topic, I'll shut up now :D

~Sunny (who should be packing before work rather than waxing poetic about moving!)
pamsue
Gresham, OR
(Zone 8a)

November 9, 2006
3:37 PM

Post #2897637

ohh id love to try the chocolate daisy...

pamsue
Brent_In_NoVa
Sterling, VA
(Zone 6b)

November 9, 2006
6:53 PM

Post #2898179

5 packs per member?!? Are you trying to make me feel bad for only sending in the required 20 packs? ;-) Oh well...it is a good thing that I sent them in early otherwise my male hormones would kick in and I would be determined to send at least 6 packs per member and I don't think I could handle that much work! Thanks!!

- Brent
pepsidrinker
La Salle, MI
(Zone 5b)

November 9, 2006
7:11 PM

Post #2898234

Hi Jill,
In adition to the wild cherry tomato's I would love to try some Annual Lion's Ear (Leonotus nepetifolia) and Chocolate Daisy (Berlandiera lyrata)

:o) Thanks Connie
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 9, 2006
8:29 PM

Post #2898414

Pamsue & Connie, I added Chocolate Daisy for both of you (already had the Lion's Ear for Connie).

Alice, in fairness I'm thinking that the "picks" people have requested from my list will count as swap seeds, otherwise some people will be getting 5 packs from me and others without preferences will get 2. I can put swap numbers on all the seed packets (just picking out random pairs of packs for people who haven't made requests) and bundle them together in order so you can just pop them into the bags as you go down the row. Or, I can keep the random seeds separate and let you pick out who gets what... So when you go down the row of bags, you'll have seeds labeled for #9 and #10, and then you'd see seeds labeled for #12, so you'd just pick out 2 random packs to put into bag #11. That sounds more complicated than it would actually be, I think, when I try to write it out! Just LMK if you want me to put swap numbers on all the seed packs or just on the requested ones.

So if anyone else has picks from the list above, PLMK! :-)

I'm making good progress on bagging and tagging, LOL, so I should have my seeds in the mail on Monday.
Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

November 9, 2006
8:34 PM

Post #2898427

LOL! Brent on the male hormones!

Critter, you are too good to us!

And Alice, you are a Saint to put up with all our nonsense...LOL Thank you!

Suzy
alicewho
North Augusta, SC
(Zone 8a)

November 9, 2006
8:40 PM

Post #2898449

Critter, whenever way works best for you is fine with me.
Alice
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 9, 2006
8:43 PM

Post #2898462

Here's the *giggle* that I forgot to include for Brent earlier! I'm not going to try to top bluespiral's generosity... testosterone is just not an issue for me... but I'm having fun putting in some extra swap packets and marking out some things that folks particularly want. :-)
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 9, 2006
8:45 PM

Post #2898467

Alice, you really are a gem!! Thanks. I just didn't want to make things difficult at your end, especially since you've been so wonderful about organizing this for all of us! It's been really fun to have this swap in mind when harvesting & packaging seeds this fall. I'm glad you gave us an end of November deadline, too, or I'd have had far fewer things to offer.

:-)
pamsue
Gresham, OR
(Zone 8a)

November 10, 2006
12:27 AM

Post #2899212

5 packs? did i miss something? i followed the rules...

critter..i didnt read your list carefully and i see more if you dont mind, lions ear, blue agastache and flamingo fountain the pictured one in addition to the choc daisy. if you have a few more seeds.

pamsue
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 10, 2006
12:44 AM

Post #2899271

You didn't miss anything... it's just that in her usual generous fashion, Bluespiral sent 95 packs of seed rather than 20, from what Alice said. !!!

FYI, on consideration, I'm not sure that the Annual Lion's Ear is WSable... I started mine inside last spring since I had just a few seeds, and they didn't start flowering until, hmmm, maybe early August and were just starting to set seed at the end of September... without the early start, I'm not sure how they would've done. I'm still happy to send them, but you might want to start a couple inside as insurance. :-)

Pam, I don't mind at all... I'm happy to share them. I appreciate Alice letting us bend the swap rules to send some extras around!

pamsue
Gresham, OR
(Zone 8a)

November 10, 2006
3:38 AM

Post #2899754

critter...ah ok ...thanks for updating me..
.yes i do sow some seeds inside so i will start the lions ears indoors thanks for letting me know..i admit i do not know alot about wintersowing..
i do like to sow something new and different every year..plus my favorites...
very generous of bluespiral to share lots of seed :)
pamsue
pepsidrinker
La Salle, MI
(Zone 5b)

November 10, 2006
4:32 AM

Post #2899853

Pam, check out mamajack's thread, http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/668696/ Poojer (Trudi) from wintersown.org posted some really good links and gave some great advice on winter sowing. :o)

Connie
pamsue
Gresham, OR
(Zone 8a)

November 10, 2006
1:43 PM

Post #2900497

ok thanks i do know who trudi is but i did not know her user name she uses on here... and ill check the links out...pamsue
kaykay1010
Cincinnati, OH

November 10, 2006
7:41 PM

Post #2901881

I would really like some of the agastache and basil, both kinds, if possible. I can do a separate trade if you would like.
beaker_ch
Columbia Heights, MN
(Zone 4a)

November 11, 2006
1:39 AM

Post #2902916

Hi Everybody, my package is on the way.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 12, 2006
12:14 AM

Post #2905651

Hmmm, I thought I posted last night, but either my post evaporated or I had another blonde moment.

Anyway, I've got you covered, Kay, and I'll dig out the Torenia seeds also to include for you & a couple others who wanted them (they're not WSable, but, well).
alicewho
North Augusta, SC
(Zone 8a)

November 13, 2006
9:43 PM

Post #2910733

Mary from Orlando?
I got a bubble envelope in the mail today that contains 12 packs of seeds, no note, no postage, no address label. The return address, what I can read of it, says Mary, Orlando FL. The words 'Winter Sowing Swap' is also written on it. Any clues as to who this is from?
Alice
claypa
West Pottsgrove, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 13, 2006
9:44 PM

Post #2910737

Not me...
pepsidrinker
La Salle, MI
(Zone 5b)

November 13, 2006
10:30 PM

Post #2910825

No Clue what so ever??? sooo strange!

Connie
Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

November 14, 2006
3:04 AM

Post #2911583

This is going to sound really weird, but I think Fran sent her seeds to the wrong person and to the wrong swap. On the Winter sowing seed swap #2 -- AnitaKbryk's -- we are waiting for Fran's seeds which were mailed a week ago. On Monday, so exactly week ago.

I know the names Fran and Mary don't sound alike, but lots of people have Mary as a legal first name -- I think her name is Mary Frances, goes by Fran, is from Orlando, and sent the seeds to the wrong swap. :(

Sound possible?

Suzy
pepsidrinker
La Salle, MI
(Zone 5b)

November 14, 2006
4:13 AM

Post #2911749

Alice, it is who Suzy says, her screen name is Sendone2me, She sent her seeds to the wrong swap, they should have went to Anita's...

Connie
alicewho
North Augusta, SC
(Zone 8a)

November 14, 2006
4:30 AM

Post #2911782

Suzy & Connie, you may be right...I dmailed Anita about it.
Thanks for investigating this mystery!
Alice
pepsidrinker
La Salle, MI
(Zone 5b)

November 14, 2006
4:32 AM

Post #2911787

Your welcome Alice,

I did a sasbe with Fran, but thought her name was Mary because it was list that way, I d-mailed her as Mary and she answered back as Fran, lol totally confused me rofl... But I had forgot about that til Suzy mentioned it...

Connie
alicewho
North Augusta, SC
(Zone 8a)

November 15, 2006
5:05 AM

Post #2914775

Happy Birthday Shirley1md!
Alice
Shirley1md
Ellicott City, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 15, 2006
8:28 PM

Post #2916623

Thank you, Alice. I'm enjoying my special day and have been receiving bouquets of flowers & plants. My house looks like the inside of a florist shop and I'm lovin' it! :~)
Hineni
Paris, TN
(Zone 6b)

November 16, 2006
2:50 AM

Post #2917791

Make sure you save the seeds Shirley ;) Happy birthday!

~Sunny
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 16, 2006
3:12 AM

Post #2917932

OK! I think I've got everything on my list in trade baggies, just have to put the special stickers for special requests, and then my fat packet will be on its way. I think I kept track of requests pretty well as we went along, but if I forgot anything I said I'd send you, just LMK and we can trade or SASBE for it.

If anybody wants "dibs" on anything on my list, LMK today or tomorrow... Of course, I'm also happy to swap later, too, but figured I'd post one more reminder...

Thanks for your patience while I dried and sorted and labeled! I will try to make the wait worthwhile... and if USPS cooperates, my seeds will arrive well before our end of month deadline, LOL.

edited to add, scroll up to Nov. 7 for the list of what I'm including in the swap... you can pick, or you can get random choices.

This message was edited Nov 16, 2006 12:47 AM
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 17, 2006
5:35 AM

Post #2921314

Seeds are all packed up and will hit the mailbox tomorrow. :-) I ended up stapling 2 (or more, for folks with requests) packets together, numbering them, and bundling them sequentially, so it should be easy to drop them into the bags. If I missed anything that somebody asked for, LMK and we'll figure it out.

Alice, I left the morning glory mix out of the main swap because of the weight of the seeds, but when my packet weighed in at just over 3 oz I figured there was room to put some MGs in for you... If you don't want them, just pass them along!

This was fun, and it made me get my seeds dechaffed and organized a little earlier this year. Thanks!!
alicewho
North Augusta, SC
(Zone 8a)

November 17, 2006
11:08 AM

Post #2921479

Critter, that's very thoughtful of you, I love MG's. I can't wait to see all the goodies you're sending. After yours arrives we only have to wait for seeds from 4 other members and then I can mail them out to everyone.
Alice
alicewho
North Augusta, SC
(Zone 8a)

November 17, 2006
11:43 AM

Post #2921525

Okay, I think the mystery seeds from the mystery sender has been solved. It was Sendone2me who mistakenly mailed them to me instead of Anita, who is hosting the WS Swap #2. After several dmails to both of them, in which I offered to mail them back to either one of them, it was concluded that neither needed or wanted them. So, that means they're up for grabs.
These are the sends, courtesy of 'Sendone2me'. If you'd like any of these added your your envelope, let me know. And please note that I do not have any additional info about these seeds other then what I have listed here...

Empress Tree - Paulownia (about 8 seeds)
Martin Gourd
Hibiscus, plate size, color wine or white --etravia*
Zinnia - large orange --pamsue*
Clematis, Sweet Autumn --Hineni*
Yellow Candle Tree --Hineni*
Echinacea --Hineni*
2- Pink Shower Tree --cegoins*
Dwarf Glad --Hineni*
Dwarf Flamboyant , orange & red --cegoins*
Dutch Iris, blue --cegoins*

Alice

This message was edited Nov 19, 2006 11:35 AM
pepsidrinker
La Salle, MI
(Zone 5b)

November 17, 2006
1:04 PM

Post #2921683

Hi alice,

I would like the Dutch Iris, blue

Thanks Connie
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 17, 2006
2:12 PM

Post #2921855

Oh dear, you're waiting on me. I was going to wait until after Thanksgiving, but I don't want to hold everyone up so I'll try to get them out this weekend. My father-in-law is visiting and I have a huge work deadline looming, so I might slip, but I'll do my best.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 17, 2006
3:32 PM

Post #2922088

happy, I'm sure Alice will respond too, but the deadline isn't until the end of the month... I don't think any of us are planning to sow these seeds soon, so take care of things at home. I'm sure it'll work out fine! I have to get my seeds off my dining table *before* Thanksgiving, or I might be coming in under the wire too!
Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

November 17, 2006
3:33 PM

Post #2922094

Nobody is waiting on you, Happy. The deadline is Nov 30 and we all knew it when we signed up. I only mailed mine in early because I didn't realize I could keep track of a thread so easily and was afraid I would forget if the thread scrolled down off the page. Enjoy your father in law, get your work done, and have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Suzy
pamsue
Gresham, OR
(Zone 8a)

November 17, 2006
4:05 PM

Post #2922174

hi id like the zin large orange.. pamsue
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 17, 2006
4:22 PM

Post #2922219

I'd like the dwarf Glad, if you think it's a hardy gladiolous variety... hmmm, actually I see Fran lives in Orlando, so hardiness seems unlikely! I just know I'm unlikely to remember where they are in order to lift them in fall.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 17, 2006
4:40 PM

Post #2922275

Illoquin and critterologist: I knew the deadline was the end of the month -- just didn't like to be one of the last people holding it up. As for me, I'm not doing anything with seeds (other than sorting them) until the last of the Christmas decorations is put away . . . at the earliest!
Hineni
Paris, TN
(Zone 6b)

November 17, 2006
6:16 PM

Post #2922554

Hi Alice, oooh, extra goodies!

If there is enough, I'd like:

Zinnia - large orange
Clematis, Sweet Autumn
Yellow Candle Tree
Echinacea
Dutch Iris, blue

And if not, it's all good too :)

Thanks to Fran, Anita and you!

~Sunny
alicewho
North Augusta, SC
(Zone 8a)

November 17, 2006
6:22 PM

Post #2922569

Happy, You still have almost 2 weeks so don't rush. You do have until the end of the month.
I was hoping to have the seeds to everyone in time for Winter Solstice, which is either December 21 or 22, found conflicting info, maybe someone knows which one it actually is?
Alice
pepsidrinker
La Salle, MI
(Zone 5b)

November 17, 2006
6:26 PM

Post #2922579

Alice on Trudi's WSn site she has it as the 21st.

Connie
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 17, 2006
6:28 PM

Post #2922586

Sunny, do you want the dwarf glads also? I don't think you'd have to lift them in fall... most glads in PF seem to be hardy to zone 7. Alice, it's fine with me if the glads go into Sunny's bag. :-)

I think it's one pack of each, so the orange zinnia and dutch iris are already gone.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 17, 2006
6:30 PM

Post #2922592

I thought somebody posted on this forum that the official time for solstice this year was somthing like "12:22 am on 12/22" ... it stuck in my mind because of all the 2's! Our year isn't measured that precisely with regard to the sun, so winter solstice varies a little bit.
claypa
West Pottsgrove, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 17, 2006
6:34 PM

Post #2922605

This year it falls on December 22, at 00:22 am UTC, which is 7:22pm Eastern Time, December 21. Pretty sure about this, from the astronomy sites.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 17, 2006
7:19 PM

Post #2922707

I think you were the one who posted! Sorry, should've made it clear that I meant UTC time zone...

My family has always made a special celebration of Winter & Summer Solstices, even if it's just to call and say "Happy Solstice!" It's just something we have fun with.
Hineni
Paris, TN
(Zone 6b)

November 17, 2006
7:26 PM

Post #2922732

Oh, silly me, I was thinking it was 20 packs (doh!). Um sure, I like Glads a lot - are you sure you don't want them Critter? We could split them if you want?
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 17, 2006
7:40 PM

Post #2922759

Sunny, I'm sure... I have a feeling these wouldn't be hardy for me, but they would be for you... enjoy!

Alice, would you please put the dwarf glad seeds from bag #2 into bag #16? Thanks!!
etravia
Elkhart, IN
(Zone 5b)

November 17, 2006
10:13 PM

Post #2923140

Alice, I would like the plate size hibiscus if there still available.
Thank you,
Maggie/Etravia
claypa
West Pottsgrove, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 18, 2006
1:27 AM

Post #2923659

Hi all
critterologist, I sure didn't remember wether it was UTC or not, I had to look it up again, but I did remember the 12:22 / 12-22 part, too. The clock on this computer has a mind of its own; between that, the time change, and looking at the astronomy sites where the times are all UTC, I don't know what time it is anymore!

Speaking of time, and being 'late', I'm one of those last minute types, I start my Christmas shopping about 4:00pm on Dec.24th, and just try to spend every dime I have 'til it's gone, then go wrap. Some shopkeepers remember me and laugh when they see me coming. I have more fun that way. Sooo...my seeds will probably be at alicewho's right on the 29th or 30th. Can't help it. Like Murphy's Law, projects always expand to fill the allotted time, even if if doesn't take that long!

bluespiral

bluespiral

(Zone 7a)

November 18, 2006
2:19 PM

Post #2924527

Just wondering - which seeds would benefit most from being wintersown on the day of Solstice? Is anyone planning to sow anything in particular on that day?
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 18, 2006
2:24 PM

Post #2924535

Claypa: You and I will become fast friends, I can tell; we approach life the same way!
pepsidrinker
La Salle, MI
(Zone 5b)

November 18, 2006
2:27 PM

Post #2924544

blue, here is what Trudi put on her site about the soltice. http://www.wintersown.org/wseo1/Solstice_Celebration.html Hope it helps.

Connie

bluespiral

bluespiral

(Zone 7a)

November 18, 2006
11:43 PM

Post #2925986

Connie, thank you - that's beautiful. Maybe a couple of weeks leading up to the Solstice, a thread about wintersowing on the Solstice could be started. I'll bet there will be some great stories revolving around that theme.
pepsidrinker
La Salle, MI
(Zone 5b)

November 19, 2006
12:26 AM

Post #2926114

You know blue, that's a good idea. Maybe you could start it. :o)

When i first read it, I thought it was very touching.

Connie
alicewho
North Augusta, SC
(Zone 8a)

November 19, 2006
4:16 AM

Post #2926801

Still have these available from Sendone2me if anyone wants them?

Empress Tree - Paulownia (about 8 seeds)
Martin Gourd
2- Pink Shower Tree
Dwarf Flamboyant , orange & red

Alice
pepsidrinker
La Salle, MI
(Zone 5b)

November 19, 2006
12:04 PM

Post #2927083

Alice

I would love to try some of the Pink Shower Tree and Dwarf Flamboyant , orange & red, if thats ok :o)

Connie
Brent_In_NoVa
Sterling, VA
(Zone 6b)

November 20, 2006
7:00 PM

Post #2931485

I probably will not put out any seeds until around the first of February. Here in the DC area it just does not start to get consistently cold until mid January (though I am sure there are plenty that would argue that it never gets "cold" around here).

- Brent
alicewho
North Augusta, SC
(Zone 8a)

November 20, 2006
7:13 PM

Post #2931522

I'm with you Brent, I don't usually start until mid January.
Alice
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 20, 2006
9:24 PM

Post #2931904

ALERT!

I was just told on this thread (see November 19) http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/667391/#new that the reason my "Chocolate Daisy" blooms don't smell like chocolate to me, and the reason the plants grew taller than I thought they would, is that they aren't the real thing!!

I got the seeds in a trade, and they were labeled "Chocolate Daisy," so that's what I went by in labeling the seeds. If you look at that thread, you'll see that the blooms look similar, but my plant (whatever it really is) was taller and had larger flowers, almost like an echinacea or a shasta daisy.

But sow the seeds anyway... it's a pretty yellow flower that blooms for a long time, and it bloomed the first year from seed for me.

My apologies to those whose swap packets contain the mislabeled seeds!
garden6
Lansing, KS
(Zone 5b)

November 20, 2006
9:28 PM

Post #2931930

Critter~ thanks for the alert... just pickled pink to try out all the gifts of seeds. I,m looking forward to WS and remember that the seeds are a gift from the heart and garden! ;0)
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 20, 2006
9:37 PM

Post #2931981

LOL, the mixup did make me glad that everyone was getting at least 2 packs from me... should help make up for sending "mystery seed!" I really did like this plant, even if the flowers didn't smell of chocolate. :-)
pamsue
Gresham, OR
(Zone 8a)

November 21, 2006
12:02 AM

Post #2932348

hi critter..thats ok its a pretty plant...id be planting it :)

pamsue
Hineni
Paris, TN
(Zone 6b)

November 21, 2006
12:08 AM

Post #2932360

'Tis okay Critter. I'm going to see if I can find some of the real deal, and interplant them. Maybe they'll hybridize ;) Thanks for the warning though!

~S
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 21, 2006
1:04 AM

Post #2932500

I think I sent out 8 packs of them in addition to the packs for people who requested them...

For anyone else who likes the photo and doesn't mind a mystery, I've got plenty of seeds!

Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

November 22, 2006
1:38 AM

Post #2935419

Critter,

Look up Helianthus strumosus, the Woodland Sunflower and seeif you think it's a match. It is a wildflower/weed in Indiana and blooms late July -Sept in dry, open woodlands and woodland edges.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/97029/index.html

Suzy
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 22, 2006
2:05 AM

Post #2935537

It's possible, but I think the growth habit of my plant is much more branching, with multiple flowers on a stem, and the leaves look more serrated... but the center of the flower looks right (tiny flower-looking structures clustered above where the seeds are forming, kind of like the center of a regular sunflower)... so it might be some type of Helianthus. I hope mine is a perennial!
Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

November 22, 2006
2:19 AM

Post #2935585

Oh, well, I thought I had seen those flowers on the side of the road and looked it up in a book I have. Natutally it didn't show the plant at the same angle, but it looked fairly close.

Suzy
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 22, 2006
4:18 AM

Post #2935805

I think you're right -- it's close, to be sure, but comparing that PF photo to the plant in my garden didn't make me think, oh yes, that's it exactly... but I'll bet mine might be some variety of Helianthus, anyway!

I really appreciate your finding out more about what my mystery "not Chocolate Daisy" could be! Thanks!
claypa
West Pottsgrove, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 27, 2006
2:32 PM

Post #2947530

The seeds are in the mail!
garden6
Lansing, KS
(Zone 5b)

November 27, 2006
4:01 PM

Post #2947746

Critter~ that would look really cute on a decorated garden marker by the blooming flowers.."not Chocolate Daisy" LOL!
alicewho
North Augusta, SC
(Zone 8a)

November 27, 2006
8:15 PM

Post #2948352

Clay, I'll let you know when they arrive.
Everyone have a nice thanksgiving?
Anyone NOT still eating leftovers?
Alice
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 27, 2006
9:45 PM

Post #2948635

LOL... perhaps they do need a sign... "Not-So-Chocolate Daisy"

Alice, I think I'm going to make meatloaf tonight and give us a break from turkey... tomorrow, it's time for turkey soup! Yum!!
alicewho
North Augusta, SC
(Zone 8a)

November 29, 2006
5:01 PM

Post #2953447

Swap update!
Tomorrow is the deadline, both claypa and happy_macomb have mailed their seeds to me, still waiting to hear from kaykay1010.
Really want to get these seeds out to everyone as soon as possible.
Alice
pepsidrinker
La Salle, MI
(Zone 5b)

November 29, 2006
5:19 PM

Post #2953480

ohhh I can hardly wait, oh the excitement of it all :o)

Connie
Hineni
Paris, TN
(Zone 6b)

November 30, 2006
3:08 AM

Post #2954947

Alice, our moved is pushed up to this weekend. Drop me a D-mail if I didn't give you my new address please. How wonderful it will be to have a seed swap in the first few weeks at the new house. I barely have time to get online here and will have no ISP for a couple of days. In fact, I'll just D-mail it to you in case I forget (which is highly possible as at the moment I can barely remember my NAME).

Thanks again for all that you've done for us!

~Sunny
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 30, 2006
3:21 AM

Post #2954977

I apologize to everyone for being just about the last one to get my seeds in!!!! I hope they arrive tomorrow.
alicewho
North Augusta, SC
(Zone 8a)

November 30, 2006
8:05 AM

Post #2955274

Sunny, got it, made the address change for you so that it will go to your new place...moved out of the big city, huh?
Happy, no biggie, nothing to apologize for.
And just a note, some of you will not be receiving the same envelope back that you mailed in...I had to replace a few of them that were not big enough to hold all the seeds you'll be getting...everyone has been so generous.
Alice
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 30, 2006
3:24 PM

Post #2955990

Alice, do you need some extra $ for postage? You said earlier that you thought it was covered... but LMK and I'll be happy to chip in via paypal!
alicewho
North Augusta, SC
(Zone 8a)

November 30, 2006
4:58 PM

Post #2956203

Critter, thanks for the offer but it isn't necessary, it should all come out just fine.
Alice
alicewho
North Augusta, SC
(Zone 8a)

November 30, 2006
8:44 PM

Post #2956831

claypa & happy, both of your seeds arrived today, perfect timing!
Still no word from kaykay1010, so I'm just going to assume that life got in the way as it's prone to do.
So, I'm going to start packing them all up for Saturdays trip to the post office.
A small warning...you will be receiving more seeds then first expected, the numbers are between 35-45 packs each. So, you may want to find a few more containers to sow them all in.
Alice
claypa
West Pottsgrove, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 30, 2006
9:44 PM

Post #2957005

Well, good. I hope kaykay1010 is okay, and just busy with something else. My neighbor keeps asking me where I'm going to put all the containers...I think there's room! Plants is another question!
garden6
Lansing, KS
(Zone 5b)

November 30, 2006
10:53 PM

Post #2957198

I can relate Claypa, my neighbor just shakes her head when she enters my garage.. " I never heard of WSing till I met you!" DH is just a tad bit better! LOL! ;0)
alicewho
North Augusta, SC
(Zone 8a)

December 2, 2006
9:49 PM

Post #2962659

Well, the seeds are all now in the care of the USPS...hopefully arriving at their new homes in a few days.
It did take 2 trips to the post office this morning to get them all mailed, first trip resulting in 15 of them being sent on their way and 3 of them had to return home with me. One of them had a number missing from the zip code, I really should have caught that when I was attaching the mailing label. And the other 2 had mailing labels that were made from USPS priority mail labels...they would not accept them without paying priority mail fee's. Once again, I should have caught this also since the same thing happened a few weeks ago with some SASBE seeds I was sending out. So, after making the needed corrections and a second trip to the post office, ALL are on their way.
The extra seeds that had been set aside for kaykay1010 got divided amongst all the other swappers, so you may get some duplicate seeds.
I've really enjoyed hosting this swap and hope everyone enjoys the seeds they receive.
Alice
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 2, 2006
10:11 PM

Post #2962722

Oh, dear, I'm sorry... I think one of those labels might have been mine... I was out of regular sticky labels, so I cut the "Priority Mail" blue strip off the top of a PM label and put that in my BE... I guess it still looked too much like a PM label! I will not do that again. :-(

Thanks so much for all your efforts in hosting this swap! I'm looking forward to my packet of treasures!

pepsidrinker
La Salle, MI
(Zone 5b)

December 2, 2006
10:13 PM

Post #2962730

Oh joy, *grinning and rubbing hands together* can hardly wait :o)

Thanks a bunch Alice

I have no clue what has happened to kaykay, I sent her a sasbe the first part of this month and she dmailed and said she received it and was putting it in the mail, I have not received anything from her, no reply to the dmail I sent her about a week ago. :(
I really hope nothing is wrong...

Connie
garden6
Lansing, KS
(Zone 5b)

December 2, 2006
10:14 PM

Post #2962734

Alicewho~ BOUQUETS again for all your organizational skills, gracious investment of time and effort. Our gardens will sing praises this Spring and Summer! ;0)
alicewho
North Augusta, SC
(Zone 8a)

December 3, 2006
8:06 AM

Post #2963942

Critter, the priority mail labels have a watermark, I've never noticed it until it was pointed out to me yesterday. If you look real close at the background you'll see it. The post office has made some policy changes and are now very strict about this one.
I have no idea what happened to kaykay either, hoping she's okay. Maybe she's busy helping Santa prepare for the holidays?
And I hope everyone will post photo's next summer, would love to see some of the results from these seeds.
Alice
dispatcher1
Seymour, IN
(Zone 5b)

December 3, 2006
4:07 PM

Post #2964704

Mine too was one of the Priority Labels. My post office has let me use them this way many times. I am so sorry for the trouble it caused you. I will remember not to use them for returns . Thanks so very much for hosting this! Do you need a little extra for postage? We didn't expecto receive this many seeds, so I'm sure the postage must have been short on the larger mailings. Please let me know, and I will more than gladly send some extra $'s for postage. Lou
alicewho
North Augusta, SC
(Zone 8a)

December 3, 2006
4:42 PM

Post #2964811

Lou, apparently it's a fairly new policy because I've received dozens of trades from people who had used them without any problems. It wasn't really a problem, I just brought them home, covered the old label with post-it notes, attached a new label and taped the whole thing up...which is something else you may notice when you get them, I get a little 'tape happy' sometimes!
And no, no extra postage is needed.
Alice
etravia
Elkhart, IN
(Zone 5b)

December 4, 2006
4:33 PM

Post #2967685

Alice,
Thank you for all your time & effort. This is so exciting. I have been in 2 other large trades this season & I am amazed by the how organized all you veterans are!
Maggie/Etravia
pamsue
Gresham, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 4, 2006
5:28 PM

Post #2967821

hi alice i got the package of seeds today and thank you so much for organizing this swap and i sure will enjoy wintersowing these seeds..and thank you all for sending seeds for this swap too!

pamsue
Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

December 4, 2006
7:26 PM

Post #2968085

Hey! I got my package today, too! Thanks to all of you who sent in, especially Bluespiral and Critter who sent a whole lot with my name on them :))

I have one I can't read -- looks like cucumber seeds or melon seeds and says "plum" and "granny" on it.

Alice, You did a really great job on this and I really appreciated the long lead time.

Thanks again,
Suzy

alicewho
North Augusta, SC
(Zone 8a)

December 4, 2006
7:42 PM

Post #2968123

Hi Suzy, the plum granny is from me, also called pocket melon or Queen Anne's Pocket Melon.
They are not really grown as food however, if you google it, you'll find out loads of interesting info about them. Should you choose to grow them, please save some seeds and pass them on next year :)
I just mailed these out on Saturday, they certainly traveled fast!!!!
Alice

pepsidrinker
La Salle, MI
(Zone 5b)

December 4, 2006
9:18 PM

Post #2968391

Hi Alice, got mine today *grinning*,

Ok this is not a complaint, just want to share what happened to me.

I see the envelope and chuckled to myself hehe, any way got that baby open and dumped the contents in my lap (still had my gown on). Was going thru all my little goodies, and low and behold, there in my lap was a bunch of teeny tiny seeds all over the place. The envelope was full of them too. But I managed not to loose a one of them :o)

Now you all can laugh with me...

Got those put away and opened another envelope from a different swap and I'll be danged if it didn't happen again, same exact thing... Got all them too... rofl

Thanks Alice for a super swap... Can hardly wait for the next one you host...
Thank each and everyone for the great seeds.

Happy Holidays to All, Connie
frausnow
Winterville, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 5, 2006
2:58 PM

Post #2970667

Alice,
Received my packet of seeds this morning! Wow! What an assortment! Thanks everyone for a great trade and special thanks to you, Alice for coordinating and handling all of this!

Can't wait to get started...hurry up Winter Solstice!

JoAnn
lafko06
Brimfield, MA
(Zone 5a)

December 5, 2006
6:26 PM

Post #2971205

Hi Alice,

My seeds just came in today's mail too. Thank you so much for hosting this swap and thanks to everyone for the wonderful selection of seeds. This will sure ease the ache of winter!

Megan
garden6
Lansing, KS
(Zone 5b)

December 5, 2006
7:16 PM

Post #2971338

WOW!!! How awesome it was to participate in this W/S swap! I received my seeds today and I am blown out of the ocean and grateful for everyone's generosity!! Bouquets again to Alice! Bouquets to everyone who has enriched my garden with your wonderful supply seeds!! ;0)

bluespiral

bluespiral

(Zone 7a)

December 5, 2006
10:39 PM

Post #2971939

This has been a fabulous seed swap - not a seed came today that won't be treasured - either by me or some friends starting new gardens - thanks to you all, Darius' new garden is going to be off to a splendid start next spring, as well as a newbie's in Wisconsin.

One that I'm getting a big charge out of is the South African Foxglove. I remember reading about it in a seed catalog many years ago, wistfully, but didn't want to risk money on an unknown that was not winter hardy for us. And then, low and behold, a few years later, DH and I were following a horse trail through pinxterflower and lady slippers and then on up to an abandoned ruin that had a pond and meadow with lilies still blooming nearby. On the edge of the pond, there it was - the South African Foxglove - blooming in all its improbable splendor. I gotta emphasize "improbable", because #1 it ain't winter hardy around here and #2 usually people just leave beer bottles behind - let along something like this. So, this afternoon, it arrived as part of this swap - talk about destiny :)

Well, if I stay on this soap box long enough to say how delighted I am with each and every seed, I'll outdo myself in the windy department.

PS - Can anyone help me out with a couple of IDs? One of the packets says:

ROS mix

and another one says: Yellow Butterfly Weed

Does anyone know what these are? the ROS mix seeds are big, flat and round with "hair" radiating out from the perimeter like the Stooge, Curly, on a bad hair day.
Shirley1md
Ellicott City, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 6, 2006
12:00 AM

Post #2972143

I was absolutely thrilled when I received the bubble envelope "stuffed" with everyone's seeds. What a wonderful selection and I can't wait to get started sowing all these fabulous seeds!

A BIG thank you to Alice for hostessing and running such a successful swap and to everyone who participated. I look forward to seeing pictures of all your wintersown plants & blooms next year!

This message was edited Dec 5, 2006 8:01 PM
alicewho
North Augusta, SC
(Zone 8a)

December 6, 2006
1:44 AM

Post #2972523

Blue, I sent the South African Foxglove, it may not be hardy but it does a good job of self-seeding.
I didn't send the butterfly weed, but it's Asclepias.
ROS - Rose of Sharon
Alice

bluespiral

bluespiral

(Zone 7a)

December 6, 2006
7:23 AM

Post #2973067

Thanks, Alice - all of your efforts are immensely appreciated.
Hineni
Paris, TN
(Zone 6b)

December 6, 2006
5:47 PM

Post #2974305

Woohoo~!! I'm up and online and...my mail service started officially today and GUESS what was in the very first mail I received here? Yesssss, all the lovely seeds gifts from everyone in the swap...Thank you, thank you, to everyone who participated, and especially to Alice for her wonderful skills in organizing and sending things. I got so many seeds that I don't have!! Everyone was so generous too. I'm delighted and already scoping out the yard for what will go where. And DH actually packed and brought all the wintersowing containers I had saved at the old house, bless his heart. (of course, they aren't unpacked yet but...I still have a few weeks...lol)

And Alice, under the leaf cover by the mailbox in the "off limits" front yard is a rocked off planting area which DH graciously said "It's all yours, plant whatever you want" :D :D So I don't have to resort to "oops, must have fallen out of a trade envelope"...hahaha!

Now I just have to figure out what gets full sun and where to put all of these lovely little babies...is it spring yet? As you can see, the property has a bunch of trees and I have no idea what it will fill in like once everyone gets dressed in their spring finery.

Thanks everyone, I'm delighted!

~Sunny

Thumbnail by Hineni

garden6
Lansing, KS
(Zone 5b)

December 6, 2006
6:11 PM

Post #2974371

Sunny~ Good News Indeed! Bouquets on your new home and new gardens! Lovely home and property.
alicewho
North Augusta, SC
(Zone 8a)

December 6, 2006

Post #2974414

Sunny, I LOVE the new house!!!! When can I come for a visit? :)
Alice
claypa
West Pottsgrove, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 6, 2006

Post #2974415

My envelope showed up in today's mail...WOW! Boy, am I glad I signed up for this... : )
A big fat THANK YOU to everyone!!!! Especially Alice for all the work.

I think of all the seeds, there's only one kind I had already

Hineni, congratulations, your place is gorgeous. Are those Azaleas among the trees there? Looks like an Ivy removal opportunity might be in your future...lol

I wish everyone the best of luck with the seeds and everything else. Here's to next Spring!!!

Thanks again
Mike
Shirley1md
Ellicott City, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 6, 2006
6:42 PM

Post #2974448

Sunny, congratulations on your beautiful new home! Happy wsing & planting all those wonderful seedlings in your new garden!
pepsidrinker
La Salle, MI
(Zone 5b)

December 6, 2006
8:13 PM

Post #2974679

Sunny, your new place is beautiful, you are going to have soooo much fun with your landscape... Be sure to take lots and lots of pictures to show us...

Happy Holidays

Connie
Brent_In_NoVa
Sterling, VA
(Zone 6b)

December 7, 2006
12:53 AM

Post #2975498

Woo Hoo! I got my pack of seeds today and it looks great! There are lots of plants that I hope to have in my garden next year. Looks like I need to be saving some more containers and getting ready for a busy growing season!

Sunny? You might have to change that name because I don't see a lot of "full sun" patches in the picture...it sure looks like a nice place with lots of potential for woodland gardens.

- Brent
dispatcher1
Seymour, IN
(Zone 5b)

December 7, 2006
1:27 AM

Post #2975597

I received my seeds today. I really am impressed with the wide variety of flowers. I am new to this, but I am so hopeful that I can get some of these to grow for me. Thanks to everyone for all the great seeds. We will need a thread this coming season to keep track of what grew and didn't grow for people. I hope to see lots of pictures when these babies bloom. We will keep this forum active all year I think. Thanks again ! Lou
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 7, 2006
2:54 AM

Post #2975864

Mine arrived today also! What a wonderful assortment! I really appreciate the zinnias -- I missed them in the garden this summer, must have them next year! I'm looking forward to trying poppies again this year too. :-)

Blue, you outdid yourself... Are the "Wallflower" seeds those siberian wallflowers, Erysium marshalii, that you shared with me last year? I had a couple of precious seedlings that perished despite my coddling, but I am hoping for better success this year!

I'm quite intrigued about the south african foxglove, and will put it somewhere *probably in my salvia patch) where it can reseed.

Many thanks to all who shared their seeds and to Alice for putting it all together!

happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 7, 2006
10:53 AM

Post #2977071

You all are the kindest, most generous, most thoughtful, most intelligent, most interesting and most green-thumbed group of people on the face of the earth. Am I ever lucky to be in your company! Thank you so very much for the wonderful big fat envelope that I received in yesterday's mail, with an especially big thanks to Alice for organizing it and for being patient with me when my autumn ended up being a small nightmare at work! You should have seen my DH's face: "They sent you all this????"
beaker_ch
Columbia Heights, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 7, 2006
10:11 PM

Post #2979339

Thank you ALL for the wonderful seeds! Mine came on Tuesday, but I haven't had a chance to get on DG and smooze. The Iris and Canna seed are so pretty, you could use them for beeding a necklace.

Would anyones feelings be hurt if I passed on some of these for SASBE? Some of these plants are just too large for my little yard and then there are some perennials that just won't work in my zone 4. But it really is a wonderful selection and I can't wait to start winter sowing.

Cegoins - did you get any of the Silky Red? If not, let me know and I'll send some off to you.
pepsidrinker
La Salle, MI
(Zone 5b)

December 7, 2006
10:21 PM

Post #2979372

nope beaker sure didn't and critterologist, I didn't get any Lion's Ear either :(

Connie
claypa
West Pottsgrove, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 7, 2006
10:28 PM

Post #2979396

beaker ch, it seems to me they're yours now, do what you can with them! I have to admit I didn't think of hardiness zones.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 7, 2006
10:31 PM

Post #2979404

Beaker_ch: I agree that the seeds are yours to do with as you like. Just enjoy whatever you do!

Claypa: I think we reached agreement early on that seeds would be spread without regard to zone, because some people in northern zones wanted to be able to try their hands at plants that would not be hardy and maybe keep them indoors over the winter.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 7, 2006
11:10 PM

Post #2979517

Connie, I'm sorry! I thought I'd gone through everybody's lists carefully, and I know you were really after that Lion's Ear... I stapled packets together for everybody... Did you get any other seeds you'd especially requested from me, like the Wild Cherry tomatoes? If not, maybe I goofed when I put your swap number on them or something, so that they ended up in the wrong bag. I'll get some to you, but probably not until after the holidays.. I have half a dozen other trade packets to get out still, and then I'm going to turn my attention to other things for a bit.
pepsidrinker
La Salle, MI
(Zone 5b)

December 8, 2006
12:58 AM

Post #2979841

No I got the other ones, just no Lion's ear :(
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 8, 2006
4:10 AM

Post #2980606

I have no explanation for that... I could swear I double-checked that one since I knew you were really looking for it. Hmph! Mystery.
alicewho
North Augusta, SC
(Zone 8a)

December 8, 2006
9:06 AM

Post #2980890

Beaker, I think offering the seeds you can't use to someone who can, is a great idea.
Connie, were your seeds from Critter still all stapled together?
Critter, I'm amazed at the great job you did with the seeds you sent, must have taken you forever keeping everything separate while trying to honor all the special requests for certain seeds. And you sent them to me all nicely stapled together in groups and labeled for each individual member, you really went the extra mile to please everyone!
I'm glad that everyone is happy with the seeds they've received, has anyone NOT gotten theirs yet?
Alice

This message was edited Dec 8, 2006 5:39 AM
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 8, 2006
2:00 PM

Post #2981324

Thanks, Alice! I was happy to do it, but I'm sorry if anybody's requests got mixed or missed! I've got plenty of seeds to SASBE or trade, so if I missed something or if somebody sees something they'd have liked to get from me, just send me Dmail.

I got a couple of packets that I'll pass along to somebody who can put them to better use, but I'll be gleefully sowing most of the seeds I was sent! I can't believe what a fabulous assortment I ended up with! :-)
Hineni
Paris, TN
(Zone 6b)

December 8, 2006
8:10 PM

Post #2982575

Hmmm, you think we should remove the ivy Claypa? I think it's kind of cool, but I've never really had trees and ivy - will it hurt the trees? Yes, those are azaleas; some in the back yard too although I don't know what kind (I know nothing about azaleas except to recognize their foliage). Thanks for the compliments ya'll, I'm so happy. Alice, come on down - I have two spare bedrooms (of course, the beds aren't set up yet...lol)! Brent, I think you are very right about woodland gardens. I haven't had the pleasure of living with trees like this in any house I've ever lived in - so it's a new experience. We're bringing over the compost bins on Sunday though...lots of leaves...yeah! I've got my eye on a patch for veggies at the edge of the terraced segment of the yard. And yards and yards of fence for my morning glories next year. I'm turning the old wooden swingset in the back yard into a climbing vine paradise in my head...and on and on I dream. DH just gave me another whole row in front of the bushes to plant flowers too, as there seems to have been beds there before. Joy Joy!

I'll have to ask around to the neighbors and see what the canopy is like in the spring and summer - I've spotted one or two gardeners in the area on our neighborhood walks :/ But maybe there are more to see in the spring!

~Sunny
alicewho
North Augusta, SC
(Zone 8a)

December 8, 2006
9:26 PM

Post #2982838

Sunny, with all that shade, you can just go crazy with hosta's and ferns!
Alice
claypa
West Pottsgrove, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 8, 2006
9:52 PM

Post #2982949

I think I like ivy more than most people, but it can be a problem. I think it looks great, especially on brick buildings. Eventually, it can kill a tree, but it takes a long time. I have a small patch that I'm determined to keep under control. It depends what kind it is, too.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1637/index.html

bluespiral

bluespiral

(Zone 7a)

December 10, 2006
10:16 PM

Post #2988360

Hineni, what a wonderful place to garden - looks like it comes with the sense of antiquity built in :)

Speaking of "sense" (or lack thereof), Critter, weren't they Erysimum asperum? (or E. cheiranthus - don't have new name sitting on the top of what passes for my head)??? I wonder what E. marshalli is like - such wonderful fragrance in that genus.

Lou, I would love to keep this thread going to see how everyone's wintersowing goes - not to mention how these plants perform in different parts of the country.

Beaker, ditto to what Alice and others said - I don't think anyone would be offended at all - more like happy the seeds they sent off into the ether will ultimately land in a good home. Besides, the seeds you can't use are wonderful to trade for what you really want. It's amazing to me how our garden, through trade, has parlayed itself into such treasures I never would have been able to grow otherwise.

LOL, Critter on "mystery" and "I could have sworn..." - now how many times did I use those terms with Connie on her current swap? Connie, I found 2 out of 3 mysteries - they're on their way to you now. I think it'll be a while before this Mrs. Magoo rides again into another seed swap.
beaker_ch
Columbia Heights, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 10, 2006
11:43 PM

Post #2988576

I offered the ones I couldn't use last night and, bam, they were gone just like that. As a result, I plan to clean up my seed box and get rid of several other seeds I can't use.
garden6
Lansing, KS
(Zone 5b)

December 26, 2006
6:01 PM

Post #3026232

Merry Christmas to all~ I'm working on my spreadsheet today, and have received the following seeds in this swap but I'm not sure from whom? Mixed canna, Whirligig zinnia,Flanders field poppies and Ageratum houst. Leilani Blue,and again BOUQUETS to all for the generous supply!
Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

December 26, 2006
6:51 PM

Post #3026368

Mine were the ageratum...I used my email addy instead of my DG name. :(

Suzy
garden6
Lansing, KS
(Zone 5b)

December 26, 2006
7:00 PM

Post #3026391

Suzy~ thanks so much! That ageratum will be very special as I have a niece named Leilani. I do so love your name with the email address, it reminded me of some delicious chicken wings we enjoyed that were made with those two ingredients! YUMMY!
beaker_ch
Columbia Heights, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 27, 2006
2:50 AM

Post #3027264

I sent the Flanders Fields Poppies.
garden6
Lansing, KS
(Zone 5b)

December 27, 2006
2:56 AM

Post #3027276

Beaker~ thanks so much! When the poppies are in bloom, I will be able to send the right bouquets your way! BTW, I W/S'ed the flanders field poppies today in the paper potsmade by the pumpkins.

bluespiral

bluespiral

(Zone 7a)

February 3, 2007
10:14 AM

Post #3151885

Hello everyone - Happy dmailed me asking if I remembered what I wrote on the label for those pink Japanese anemones, and I don't. Here's what it looked like to her:

Japanese anemone "AEU" (early), pink*, 3', deep rose

Can anyone help us out and let us know what kind of sense that part of the label made to you?

Speaking of sense, Critter, I found the Penstemon smallii you sent me via this swap that I said I didn't receive - it was sitting in its alphabetized spot in the box where it was s'posed to be - am looking forward very much to growing it.

And PepsiDrinker, seems I've been having a field day with confusion - I think I did arrange those tree peony seeds so whoever got the white Renkaku would get all of them. There weren't that many of any of the different kinds - one of them might only have had 1 seed - but my thinking at the time was that since so many accidents can happen between the day a tree peony seed is sown and the day 10 years later when it might finally bloom, that it would be nice for the recipient to get all of each kind. That way, no matter how few might survive 10 years later, you'd at least maximize your chances of getting something from that variety. Also, since these are all hybrids, you're going to get a variety of offspring & I thought it would be fun to see the variations among seedlings.

Has anyone wintersown yet? I had quite a few seeds from the North Amercan Rock Garden Society ( http://www.nargs.org/ ) and Ursula as well as the ones from Alice's and others' swaps in 2006 - some with pretty intricate germination techniques. I've been trying to make a germination-based database before I start so on any given day I can sow "like with like". Am only wintersowing a fraction of each kind of seed just in case... I did order some seeds that haven't arrived - maybe by midFebruary all my poppy seeds will be here - would like to WS some of each kind on the same day to compare the ways they germinate.

Has anyone tried the alpine poppy, Papaver alpinum? It's a dwarf (6"), hardier-than-Iceland poppy, Fragrant (!) poppy that I thought would be pretty coming up with the small, double orange flowers of Papaver atlanticum floating above it (from NARGS) along a path with the black leaves of Heuchera 'Molly". Should harmonize with the colors of the bricks better than pinks, I think. I bought the alpine poppy from http://www.fragrantpathseeds.com/product_info.php?products_id=472&osCsid=47b520f993e05bb340694cad8290feae - most of their packets are $1.50, and I thought the amount of seed was generous.

Can't believe we hauled all those bricks up our hill in buckets when we were "young" - one thing I'll say about buying an old wreck of a house - we may never finish fixing it up after all these years, but they sure do come with great topsoil!

Hope things are going well with everyone - why not chime in here with how your winter schemes and dreams are coming along as well as your wintersowing? Waving to Alice -

karen
claypa
West Pottsgrove, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 3, 2007
11:26 AM

Post #3151967

Hi everybody
Yes, I've been busy sowing - trying to do roomier, multiple jugs for plants I'd like a lot of: Echinaceas, Helenium, a few kinds of Geraniums, & Platycodons, et cetera. I'm saving some annuals for later, and saving some of each seed in case some don't work out.

Bluespiral, my baggie of Japanese Anemone says (I think): "AUG deep rose pink 3' [symbol for part shade/sun] 2006"
It may say AUS, not sure. I took it to mean the seed was saved in august, or that it bloomed in august. I see you had a comment for one in plantfiles, so I thought it was this one:

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/535/index.html

Schemes and dreams? I hope to have enough plants to share with my brothers and sister and a few people who have more room than I do, and I dream of filling the entire front yard with flowers...probably freak out the neighbors, though! Another dream, more like a fantasy, is to pot some extra plants up, and trade or sell some to a nearby nursery.:)
Mike

This message was edited Feb 3, 2007 7:30 AM
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 3, 2007
6:28 PM

Post #3153259

Thanks for your input! All I've done so far is sort sort sort, and set aside the equipment -- it'll be a few weeks before I really plant -- but I can't wait!

When I was sorting, I noticed a pack of unlabeled seeds that looked like melon seeds. Does anyone remember what these are? Alice, is it possible these are your Queen Anne's Pocket Melon seeds? I remember getting some, and wanting very much to try them, but they were labeled; now I have some melon seeds but no labels. Hmm. They are in a small clear plastic ziplock baggie.

And I have to say one more time -- you are all incredibly generous and grow wondefully interesting plants. It is so exciting to plant these -- these are not what I would have ordered, but they are exactly what I would have wanted if I had known about them. The best kind of present is one that opens the eyes to new things. I am so excited about sowing -- and I hope we can do this again.
garden6
Lansing, KS
(Zone 5b)

February 3, 2007
6:40 PM

Post #3153307

Yes, I would love to participate again too! I nicked the canna seeds, soaked in H2O2 as suggested, sown inside a few weeks back and was getting ready to place the container outside this week and SURPRISE! surprise! one canna baby already! I'll pot that baby up today and put the container out later this weekend, wanted to make sure that there are no other little surprise babies. This W/Sing is so much fun!

bluespiral

bluespiral

(Zone 7a)

February 3, 2007
11:44 PM

Post #3154333

Aha - I knew y'all would nudge the ol' brain cells in the right direction - Happy, it's AUG, meaning that this Japanese anemone is a little earlier than most and it's blossoms start in July, but peak in August.

Happy, Here's Alice's 12/4/06 post at 3:42 pm about the melon seeds:

"Hi Suzy, the plum granny is from me, also called pocket melon or Queen Anne's Pocket Melon.
They are not really grown as food however, if you google it, you'll find out loads of interesting info about them. Should you choose to grow them, please save some seeds and pass them on next year :)
I just mailed these out on Saturday, they certainly traveled fast!!!!
Alice"

Claypa, maybe you can play up how a front yard full of flowers requires no mowing to the neighbors - I'll bet a lot of ears will perk up over that - mowing is so monotonous...who really loves a lawn mower that much?

garden6, "bouquets"! the First Plant Baby on this thread - looks like we're on our way.

Sometime between now & hitting the sack, I'm going to toss Alice's and Iloquin's and Plantnutz's lily seeds into their own peat-filled (slightly moistened) baggies for their warm sojourn in a cupboard before having their winter-sown cold spell outdoors in a few weeks. But, for now, am burrowing back into my germination database.

Nice to hear from everyone,
Karen
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 4, 2007
12:22 AM

Post #3154436

?? OK, please share... which seeds need a warm sojourn in a cupboard before going outside?? You're a much better researcher than I!
Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 4, 2007
1:43 AM

Post #3154685

Critter, They are Martagon Lilies, orienpets, and orientals. Put seeds in a baggie with an inch or so of damp -- as in barely damp -- potting soil, vermiculite or spagnum peat then jiggle them around to get contaict between seed & soil. A sandwich ziploc is the best because it has thin plastic and some gas transferral. Put it (the bagggie containing seeds & soil) in a cupboard at 70 (dark) and in 30 days, 4 weeks or a month -- whichever is easier to remember, pull them out. You should see a teeny tiny baby bulbs and some roots.

You have 2 options next: #1 Plant the bulbs in a milk jug or other, covering the bulb 1x with soil and wintersow. One leaf will come up -- take care of it because on a martagon that is all you'll see for the whole year! Or #2 Leaving them in the bags, slip them in the refrigerator for 45 days or longer for their chill. After their chill, plant them as if they were seeds in a pot -- spread them out -- and cover with 1x their height or thickness. They will germinate right away -- maybe 10 days? Sound familair? It's nearly the same directions as the scales.

If you have trumpets or asiatics, it's a whole different animal. Those get sowed in a regular pot 3 weeks before the last frost and put in bright sun/bright light when they germinate. Just put them outside in your -- well, wherever you keep an eye on babies in pots for the summer.

Suzy
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 4, 2007
3:58 AM

Post #3155078

Thanks, Suzy! Somehow I'd missed where she said "lily seeds" in the above... but I'm glad to know the different techniques for oriental vs asiatic etc. Hey, with this new post referencing system, I can bookmark your instructions and file it under "propagation techniques" -- cool!
Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 4, 2007
4:01 AM

Post #3155082

What? What post referenceing system? I noticed all the posts have a # now, but I haven't been able to figure it out (and haven't wanted to look at the Dave's forum where it's about computers and "system" stuff.)
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 4, 2007
4:07 AM

Post #3155093

Check this out... http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/688967/

It was gardenwife's idea, and Dave implemented it very nicely, and it's really useful!
Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 4, 2007
4:12 AM

Post #3155110

Oh, I see...I couldn't figure out how to utilize it because there was no search feature.

If anybody wants to know how to use it, go to
http://davesgarden.com/forums/p.php?pid=3141431

Now, Critter, what's a bookmark? LOL!

Suzy

This message was edited Feb 4, 2007 12:13 AM
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 4, 2007
4:20 AM

Post #3155131

Most browsers have a bookmark feature for saving (and organizing) favorite links... I'm using Firefox as my browser now (it's the best one for the way DG is set up), and at the top of my screen there's a drop-down menu for "Bookmarks" that should make sense once you play with it a little... I've got lots of subfolders under a big folder of bookmarks for Gardening, and one of my subfolders is labeled "Propagation techniques." I clicked on the number of your post, causing it to open in its own little page, and then I clicked on "Bookmark this Page," told it to put the new bookmark in the Propagation folder, and changed its name to "Lilies from seed, tips from Illoquin."
Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 4, 2007
4:55 AM

Post #3155197

Ohhhhh, I see. I thought it was DG related and you were using it along with your DG Diary or DG Journal... Or some new feature with "information to remember" that happened when I wasn't looking.

Thanks!

Suzy

bluespiral

bluespiral

(Zone 7a)

February 4, 2007
5:45 AM

Post #3155270

Trying out the new post referencing system - Critter and Suzy, here are a couple of great links from the Lily forum on germinating techniques specific to lots of lily species: http://davesgarden.com/forums/p.php?pid=2854557

I wonder if I did it right...tap tap tap

Yay! I usually don't get technical stuff the first time around. This is so going to help in the research department.

So - bookmarking is different from saving favorites in Internet Explorer (IE)?

PS - in that same thread, Pardalinum is looking for homes for her lily seed.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 4, 2007
2:51 PM

Post #3156087

I thought I had reads threads that suggested there was a way to save links to relevant posts in our DG journal. How do you do that? I'd prefer it there rather than in IE favorites, but I can't figure out how to use the DG journal.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 4, 2007
6:43 PM

Post #3157012

I'm not certain, because I haven't played with the garden journel feature yet, but I figure you can paste a link to a post into a journel entry the same way you can paste a link into a post on a thread or into a Dmail... just "copy" the URL after you click on the post number, and paste into the entry.
alicewho
North Augusta, SC
(Zone 8a)

February 5, 2007
3:17 AM

Post #3158513

happy, If they look like small melon seeds, then they are probably the Plum Granny, AKA Queen Anne's Pocket Melon.
Alice
Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 5, 2007
7:20 AM

Post #3158808

Here's some information on it I htought was worth posting:

Plum Granny (Queen Anne's Pocket)
Grown for its Perfume 75 days
This highly fragrant heirloom melon has been around for hundreds of years and were said to have been favored by the Victorian Ladies of the era who carried them in their pockets and purses as perfume to help mask body odors when one was not able to bathe. Apple-sized fruit are yellow with deep orange stripes with white flesh.
Although some local people find the taste pleasing we (the author) find the taste rather bland. They make for an excellent ornamental with one or two melons filling up a whole room with their perfume like fragrance. Very small sized seed.

The author's grandmother maintained these seed for many years. She always liked having a melon or two in the house for the wonderful fragrance they gave off.

Suzy
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 5, 2007
2:04 PM

Post #3159457

That one has me very curious, and I'll have to tuck a little hill of them into the garden somewhere... has anyone actually smelled one? What are they like?
alicewho
North Augusta, SC
(Zone 8a)

February 5, 2007
9:24 PM

Post #3160862

Yes, Critter. The seeds I sent everyone are from some that I grew, they do have a nice scent, though not overwhelming. You won't need much space to plant them as the melons are very small.
Alice
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 5, 2007
9:46 PM

Post #3160963

fruity? citrusy? musky? floral like roses or sweet peas? LOL... guess I'll just have to grow them and see! It sounds like they could scramble around the sunny perennial bed just fine. Thanks for sharing the seeds!
alicewho
North Augusta, SC
(Zone 8a)

February 6, 2007
1:25 AM

Post #3161690

Critter, it's kind of a musky-sweet scent.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 6, 2007
3:15 AM

Post #3161977

OK! :-)
Brent_In_NoVa
Sterling, VA
(Zone 6b)

February 19, 2007
5:58 PM

Post #3205358

I figured that I would add post #200 to this thread to say that I finally got a batch of six containers of seeds from the swap sown:

- Lunaria annua - Money Plant
- Penstemon smallii
- Gaillardia x grandiflora 'Arizona Sun'
- Salvia forsskaolii
- Rudbeckia hirta 'Autumn Colors'
- Penstemon digitalis

There is no way I will sow all the seeds from the swap, but I hope to get a few more batches of perennials out and then a few batches of annuals.

- Brent
claypa
West Pottsgrove, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 22, 2007
8:01 AM

Post #3213756

Hi Brent, I see it's your birthday today! Hope you have a great time, I'm looking forward to growing the daisy seeds you sent for the swap, thanks
Mike
garden6
Lansing, KS
(Zone 5b)

February 22, 2007
12:49 PM

Post #3214059

BOUQUETS and Happy Birthday Brent! May your gardens reap sweet rewards in blooms and lessons learned! ;0)
Shirley1md
Ellicott City, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 22, 2007
5:07 PM

Post #3214722

Happy Birthday Brent!
Brent_In_NoVa
Sterling, VA
(Zone 6b)

February 22, 2007
9:43 PM

Post #3215356

Thanks for the note! Yep...I am 29...again. ;-)

- Brent
Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 25, 2007
6:15 AM

Post #3222497

...Dear Alice & Participants of the Swap,

Last week I sowed a pinch of the ageratum seeds I sent in as my part of the swap, and only one seed germinated. It's still a little tyke, so I can't tell you how tall, or what color it will be, but the germination was abyssmal. These were fresh seeds, but they were taken from F1 hybrids. The hybrid itself wasn't listed in PF, so I just winged it, but I should have read through all the listings for the other kinds of ageratum. One in there is 'Blue Horizon' and it says the plant is sterile, and I'm wondering if Leilani Blue is sterile, too. They have 2 things in common, height and color, and I wonder if they might have one more thing in common: sterility.

Each package I sent in was packed very full because I couldn't get the seed separated for the chaff, common on ageratums and others from the aster family. (At least for me.) On the back is a note saying the seed is 50% chaff, but it appears that is an understantment as the pot I tried to germinate was littered thickly with seed and I only got one seedling. If you're going to use these, please sow the entire package, and remember ageratum requires light for germination. If the germination isn't what you hoped for, please contact me, either here or in D-mail and I'll replace it with something else. I am really embarrassed about this.

If you don't get around to sowing them until later in the spring and forget where you saw this post, my email address is on the package.

I'm so sorry about this,
Suzy
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 25, 2007
6:20 AM

Post #3222500

Suzy, no worries... that sort of thing happens with seeds sometimes. I had a batch of Thai basil seeds last year where I also ended up telling people to sow the whole packet because germination was just so poor on them... but all the other basil seeds were fine and came up like crazy. I appreciate the heads-up, and I'll just sow the whole packet in a container and see what happens!
claypa
West Pottsgrove, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 25, 2007
6:32 AM

Post #3222511

I want a refund! I was eyeballing that one jug and wondered who sent those seeds... Haha...

When you add a plant to plant files, there's choice to check off that says "won't set seed/ sterile/ won't come true from seed". All three. So, we already know it sets seeds, and you got a sprout, so who knows. Maybe we'll have better luck.
I'll be really surprised if other seeds don't work out for one reason or another!
Have you gotten the big storm there?
garden6
Lansing, KS
(Zone 5b)

February 25, 2007
12:04 PM

Post #3222729

Suzy~ thanks for the info, but no need to apologize..it's all a great science experiment anyway. I'm truly grateful for the opportunity to participate in W/S ing and getting exposed to a new universe of gardening and seeds. I've been living in a gardening vacuum, with a limited range of standbys, year after year. The seeds that were graciously shared in our swap are multiple encouragers and reminders of our gardening friends here at DG! Who would have thought that I would have garden reminders of you, and all the contributors in my Kansas garden. Simply delightful! ;0)

Claypa, shhh!... OK, I'll give my alibi right now.. if ANYof my seeds are the ones that don't germinate, please let me know, I might have some sterile flowers in the gardens too.. I just don't know it yet! LOL!
Brent_In_NoVa
Sterling, VA
(Zone 6b)

March 22, 2007
9:14 PM

Post #3310195

Just to let everybody know... happy_macomb cannot be trusted!..."not for wintersowing" she says...I guess the Gaillardia seeds could not read the small print on the baggie!! Just this week I saw a few sprouts in the following swap seeds:

Lunaria annua (Money Plant) from etravia
Gaillardia x grandiflora 'Arizona Sun' from happy_macomb
Rudbeckia hirta 'Autumn Colors' from alicewho

I feel bad because I have seeds for so many great plants that I have not yet sown. I still plan on sowing a dozen or so containers of annuals, but some of the seed will have to wait until later in the year or for next year.

- Brent
claypa
West Pottsgrove, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 22, 2007
9:23 PM

Post #3310226

On this same subject, the Ageratum that Illoquin had some trouble with is sprouting... there's three or four seedlings so far. Maybe they'll grow and get big enough to add "A. houstonianum 'Leilani Blue'" to plantfiles. Critterologist's Agastache is sprouting too.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 22, 2007
10:46 PM

Post #3310508

I wintersowed my agastache initially, too! The first year, I had fairly puny plants, but I did get a few blooms. The second year -- stand back! -- they really took off! I think I've read 18-24" on the height for the 'Honey Bee' agastaches, but my plants were more like 3-4 feet tall... so place them accordingly. :-)

I don't know what the flutterby in this photo was thinking... that agastache bloom dried up long ago! BTW, those my too-tall-to-be-chocolate daisy plants in the background, blooming their heads off the first year from WS seed.

Brent_In_NoVa
Sterling, VA
(Zone 6b)

March 23, 2007
12:27 PM

Post #3311834

Agastache...puny plants the first year? I recently posted a picture on the "Lesson Learned #3" thread that includes my first year Agastache plants. Yea, they got even bigger for 2006! In my front bed I had a bunch of Agastache and Purple Coneflower plants that I spaced about 1' apart (they seemed so small when I planted them). In 2006 they were really battling it out and they were both in the 4 to 5 ft range.

Why is it that I have a million pictures of my gardens but I never have the picture that I need? Here is a picture taken in June 2006. The Agastache plants are peaking out from behind the Coneflowers. The Agastache in my back yard grew a little taller than the ones in this bed.

- Brent

Thumbnail by Brent_In_NoVa

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 23, 2007
1:01 PM

Post #3311926

Well, I confess... those agastache plants spent a little too long in 2 inch pots before making it out into the garden... certainly could explain some of their "puny-ness"... but I just didn't want anybody to look at them this year and figure that's all the bigger they were going to get!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Winter Sowing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lessons learned for next year #2 zenpotter 256 Mar 23, 2007 7:56 AM
Milk jugs TurtleChi 99 Mar 19, 2007 12:20 PM
WS Poppies & transplant problems marie_ 100 May 11, 2011 4:44 PM
Database germination info bluespiral 6 Mar 5, 2008 12:23 PM
Will these seeds work for Winter Sowing? CapeCodGardener 49 Mar 4, 2007 5:39 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America