Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Canadian Contingent @ Dave's Garden

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Sorry folks the map no longer works. :( Am thinking of leaving this up however since it shows where many of us live (as well as showing folks from outside of Canada where *some* of us live).

We've grown by leaps and bounds since PanamonCreel originally did a map for us (that population explosion would be courtesy of our Eastern members whose markers are now jostling for space in Ontario/Quebec)......hint zeroing in on a member's city (the -/+ is down in the bottom right hand corner) will give more detail to their neck of the woods :). Besides those of us living in Canada we have markers of Canadians (who miss our exquisitely lovely winters ;) that are now residing in the U.S. As well we have a Brit Included in our expanding map that will be leaving hearth and home (maybe sooner than he originally thought :) and will be eventually discovering what we consider short (and long) distance driving in our wild, wild west. Last but not least I do believe three Canadian wanna bees (one a David Thompson reincarnate ;) have added their markers to our map.

Here's where we started from: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/591228/

This message was edited Jun 10, 2007 8:09 PM

This message was edited Jul 27, 2010 1:51 AM

Thumbnail by Lilypon
White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Ok, you finally talked me into it. lol

Sandy

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

LOLOL Welcome aboard Sandy!

I thought it would be nice to start a new thread that included a picture of the map showing our locations so I've put through a request that this one replace the original *sticky* (it'll prolly float around until Dave and/or Terry aren't so busy).

South Puget Sound, WA(Zone 8a)

Hello - I added myself since I have family still in BC and ON, Canadian Great Grandparents, and love visiting as often as I can. Maybe we'll retire up there!

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Pleased to have you join us Galega! I'm guessing you will be relocating to BC if you retire up here. ;)

I also hang my head in shame because I missed mentioning bambamdryad (Bambam is gardening further north than some of our Easterners and yet still on the other side of the border).

South Puget Sound, WA(Zone 8a)

Yes, it will likely be BC somewhere near Whistler, though we love Alberta and the Banff, Jasper, & Canmore, areas too.

Blyth, ON(Zone 5b)

Welcome galega! It's nice to have another honourary Canadian join us :-) --Ginny

Riverview, NB(Zone 5b)

Posted

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Happy to see you join us Darrell! Todd won't be feeling so lonely now.

Pickering, ON(Zone 5b)

I posted.

Annetta

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Good to see you too Annetta!

Quebec, QC(Zone 4b)

I posted

Libi

Windsor, ON(Zone 6a)

I did it too.

Momo

This message was edited Feb 4, 2007 4:48 PM

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Welcome aboard Libi and momo125 and Cujo20C our only member from the NWT!........sorry I've taken so long to reply. Everyone can welcome new members but we've all been posting all over lately.

Here's a good link for newbies to Dave's to check out: http://davesgarden.com/faq/forums/

Quebec, QC(Zone 4b)

Thanks Lilypon !

Victoria BC, Canada(Zone 9a)

I just added mine to the map. What a clever idea.

Bea

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Hi and welcome Mommum good to see more BC folks on there. :)

Castlegar, Canada

Hi all, I have been lurking here for some time, and finally couldnt resist the map, lol. I am in Castlegar, b.c., have an acre and a bit on the Columbia River. I am an avid but somewhat inept garder and a pretty good plant ecologist. Here is my latest thing in bloom. This seems like a very nice web site all round.

Katherine

Thumbnail by castlegar_rock
Riverview, NB(Zone 5b)

Wow! That is nice! I know it's a lily, but what's it's name? AND, welcome. Darrell

Blyth, ON(Zone 5b)

Welcome Katherine! Glad to have you aboard. I echo Darrell - that is a beautiful lily.

--Ginny

Castlegar, Canada

Hi Ginny and Darrel, Thanks for the warm welcome...Thats actually an azalea. Hope youve had a big day in the garden! I planted my winter sown lupins, a little late, and some calendula, a tree peony I bought at the Nelson Garden Show last weekend!

Riverview, NB(Zone 5b)

It's beautiful. Deciduous, I suspect.

Castlegar, Canada

Yes, and actually quite scrawny looking, but the blooms this year were magnificent.

dobie, ON(Zone 3a)

With a population of 128, i had to put Dobie on the map.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

LOLOLOL Welcome aboard trailingon! :D

Wonderful to see Castlegar-Rock, Westocast73, blacksheep7_3, agertz as well ! May have missed some.......my work computer isn't upgraded enough to see the map but I'm pretty sure a few others have left their mark.

Castlegar, Canada

Thank you Lilypon. This seems to be a very nice site. Is it ok to just post photos of plants here wily nily, or what? I am new to this site.

Kat

Thumbnail by castlegar_rock
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Hi Kat :)

Dave's is a gardener's best resource and I know you'll enjoy it here immensely. :)

re posting pictures:
I usually start my own thread since I often want to start a different topic. However I'll post one in someone else's thread if the picture matches the subject matter of their thread and if they've invited others in (see winter sowing thread). I've also posted when someone's thread has run the course (re admiring, questions etc. regarding what they've posted) and I have a ? or something to show that relates to what was being discussed.

Come winter our threads have often gone all over the place since there aren't too many plants to show. ;)

Pam
Who is not around much lately since our house and yard have been targeted by a movie company,,,,,,,they want to use our garage and house as well as a neighbors to film their movie. I'm so far behind in the yard it isn't funny. :S The deal hasn't been written in cement yet so we may still turn them down.

Castlegar, Canada

Wow! Take 5! That is quite a compliment, I cant imagine a film crew in my garden, ever.

Thanks for your advice, will follow it.

Kat

PS dont work too hard!

Blyth, ON(Zone 5b)

I don't know whether to congratulate you or commiserate with you Pam ;-) Frankly, I can't imagine having to keep my yard in film-worthy condition! There are just times when I want to sit and enjoy my gardens, and act as though the weeds are invisible. Please keep us posted on what happens.

--Ginny

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Thanks ladies......Ginny for some reason or other I feel the same. ;) I kinda have a feeling though they won't mind weeds . Our house (if we agree to it) is supposed to be owned by a Scientist that's got other things on her mind. Trust me Kat with the work we're now doing (cleaning house.....you know those cupboards, closets, etc, etc, that you usually ignore) :S, jobs, planting veggie garden, etc. etc.) there's gunna be weeds galore out there......if they don't like em (and we don't get around to them) ..... they can box them outta here too :)~ (along with the contents of our garage and whatever else they don't want...except the weeds don't have to go in the moving van ;). I really wish they'd contacted us months ago (I wouldn't have started soooooooo many plants). :S

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

I should state that whether we agree to their terms or not we are going to have a REALLY clean house (no idea of what the yard will be like though). ;S

Coquitlam, BC

I tried to add on but I think I am showing as in the US somehow, I am not very good at this, but feel 30 years in Canada even though in the UK for the last six means I should be OK to be included I think !!!!

I think I did something wrong.

Coquitlam, BC

Tried again and I think I have fixed it XX Jeannine

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Sorry Jeannine I'm so late in replying (I opened this thread at work, got busy, and forgot to come back and post :S )......We are very happy to see you join us and I hope you will feel back at home here!

Naperville, IL

Hi guys! I am another ex-pat, living here in Naperville, IL, 35 miles west of Chicago since 1963!! Very active in Canadian Club and Canadian Women's Club here ...retired senior now. Husband was from Montreal and I was from Toronto. Still have family in both places. Meeting dear brother in law from Toronto for dinner tonight , here in Chicago on business. Love to garden and have enjoyed Dave's for quite some time. Now that I am retired, I have more time to noodle around on the computer!! It must be lovely to live in BC with a more temperate climate ...we have had 90 degrees most of the summer ...terribly humid and unbearable to be outdoors most of the time. I dread the Fall, when winter will be right behind and then months of gray and dreary days. That's when I read all my garden magazines and plan my containers and baskets for the next year!! I am in a townhouse, so I can't plant too much in the "ground" among the established landscaping, so I have to do most everything in pots!! But, I love doing them., Look forward to chatting with all of you!! Sandy

Blyth, ON(Zone 5b)

Hi Sandy, and welcome back so to speak :-) Three years ago I too lived in a townhouse and had to do most of my gardening in pots. I found out that you can be very creative with them and end up with a space that looks lush and welcoming. I used to live in Victoria BC a long time ago, and as I said to someone else, I was blind to what I had back then as I was just a kid.

Anyway....a warm welcome to you. Nice to have you popping in to chat.

--Ginny

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Welcome from
inanda aka Ginny ..... hee hee
busy planting iris

Pass Christian, MS(Zone 8b)

Just wanted to say hi!
Canadian transplanted to the Mississippi Gulf Coast, well kind of, I still keep a house and garden in Calgary Alberta as well. Hope I qualify to join your group...... :)
Gardening in Zone 3 and 8 is kind of fun.
Added my pin to your map as well.
Cheers
Cath

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Welcome to the wonderful (and huge) world of Dave's Cath and most especially the Canadian Gardening Forum! :DLooking forward to seeing your posts!

Pam
Who's sorry to say she's just getting caught up on my bookmarked threads. :S

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Pam, busy harvesting I bet. Snowing in AB at the mo. Guess SK and MB will get it later this week. Arrrrgh.
inanda aka Ginny

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.