Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Invasive vine with red berries

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 27, Views: 239
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Sarahskeeper
Brockton, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 11, 2006
7:32 PM

Post #2904780

They are common around here. I think they have small white flowers.
This was shot yesterday.
What's it called, please.
Andy P

Thumbnail by Sarahskeeper
Click the image for an enlarged view.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 11, 2006
7:40 PM

Post #2904805

do i see three leaves in the background?
paalexan
Las Cruces, NM

November 11, 2006
7:47 PM

Post #2904819

Looks like Solanum dulcamara...

Patrick
Sarahskeeper
Brockton, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 11, 2006
8:30 PM

Post #2904928

Here is a bad pic of the leaves. I was in a rush to snap it before it got too dark, lol.
Patrick, the name you gave is what, genus, family ? I can never find anything in PlantFiles.
Andy P

Thumbnail by Sarahskeeper
Click the image for an enlarged view.

paalexan
Las Cruces, NM

November 11, 2006
8:53 PM

Post #2904995

Yeah, that's Solanum dulcamara. The name I'm giving is genus and species (i.e., the binomial). The common name depends a bit on who you ask... I'd heard it as bittersweet nightshade, the USDA says it's climbing nightshade. A toxic plant, as you might guess from the name.

Patrick Alexander
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 11, 2006
9:03 PM

Post #2905027

When people give you a two part name like that where both names sound Latin, it'll almost always be the genus and species. If there's just one name then it's usually the genus, often people will recognize what genus something is in but it can sometimes take longer to figure out the species. Or you can do a General Search in PF and type in the name the way it was given to you, that lets you can search for things even if you don't know which part was genus, species, etc.
paalexan
Las Cruces, NM

November 11, 2006
9:15 PM

Post #2905060

Also worth mentioning that the genus and species are "typically" underlined or italicized. This is to let you know that it's the genus and species, since other names are not underlined or italicized.

The only problem there is that many posters may not know how to italicize (or may not want to bother) in online forums... but I do it. :-)

Similarly, the genus should be capitalized and the species all in lowercase. This, however, is also not always followed.

Patrick Alexander

This message was edited Nov 11, 2006 3:16 PM
nifty413
Garland, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 11, 2006
9:24 PM

Post #2905099

I'd like to commend all the Homo sapiens who use proper taxonomical nomenclature! ;-)
Sarahskeeper
Brockton, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 11, 2006
9:31 PM

Post #2905118

OK, I got it now.
Thanks every one, especially Patrick.
Andy P

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

November 12, 2006
1:25 AM

Post #2905968

Agree with Bittersweet (Solanum dulcamara)

Resin

PS to create the italics, put [i] before, and [/i] after, except use the triangular brackets (not the square ones as I've put for demonstration)
paalexan
Las Cruces, NM

November 12, 2006
1:56 AM

Post #2906041

"PS to create the italics, put [i] before, and [/i] after, except use the triangular brackets (not the square ones as I've put for demonstration)"

IOW, like this:

<i>Solanum dulcamara</i>

I wasn't sure earlier if I remembered how to get it to show up properly... I guess I do. :-)

Patrick

(PS: typing "&lt;i&gt;" gives "<i>")

ViburnumValley

ViburnumValley
Scott County, KY
(Zone 5b)

November 12, 2006
3:37 AM

Post #2906228

Now, Patrick: surely you also know that you can use the [brackets] for quoting folks...
[quote]PS to create the italics, put [i] before, and [/i] after, except use the triangular brackets (not the square ones as I've put for demonstration)[/quote]
...like Resin.

The rest of the html stuff is gibberish, but I'll take your word for it. I think there's a FAQ somewhere in DG that gives a primer on all this. There certainly is an entertaining thread over on Trees & Shrubs from a while back which goes overboard in depth about quotes, italics, bold type, underline, and plenty of other fun "dress up" stuff ( like ™, ®, and non¢ like that).
paalexan
Las Cruces, NM

November 13, 2006
4:45 PM

Post #2909957

"Now, Patrick: surely you also know that you can use the [brackets] for quoting folks..."

I knew you could do this in other forums, but didn't realize it worked on this one. It's worth mentioning that whenever you use square brackets ([,]) to modify text in an online forum, you are not using html, but instead are using BBCode, which is basically a simplified/bastardized version of html created for use in online forums.

Personally, I despise BBCode...

Patrick Alexander

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

November 13, 2006
6:20 PM

Post #2910203

Actually BB code is a lot easier to use - you don't need the shift key to enter it, so it's a lot simpler to type. But in this forum it only works for quote tags, not for italics, etc.

Resin
paalexan
Las Cruces, NM

November 13, 2006
6:31 PM

Post #2910226

"Actually BB code is a lot easier to use - you don't need the shift key to enter it, so it's a lot simpler to type."

I can type html far faster than I can type BBCode. In large part, this is simply because I'm used to html, but not to BBCode; with the exception of the rare times I have to use BBCode, I never use square brackets. Then there's the confusion that I now have to remember two separate systems instead of just one. And for those who only get introduced to BBCode... they've spent a little time learning a system with very limited applicability when they could have been getting a head-start on understanding broadly-applicable html.

BBCode just doesn't offer enough simplification to justify the creation of a new system for such a limited context, especially given the confusion it generates. Much of the power of the web is based on standardization, but BBCode is a move towards division, opposed to standardization.

It's perhaps worth mentioning that another argument against just allowing straight html in forums is that html could be used to screw the forum up a bit... however, the commonly used tags in forum discussion have no malicious potential.

Patrick Alexander

ViburnumValley

ViburnumValley
Scott County, KY
(Zone 5b)

November 14, 2006
12:24 AM

Post #2911099

Trying to keep up with the taxonomy changes in scientific plant names is enough for me, thank you very much.

I'll watch from a distance and admire you all that understand the computer codes.
Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

November 14, 2006
5:24 AM

Post #2911857

Andy, the common name I know it by is deadly nightshade...if you have kids, make sure they know not to eat the berries!

Suzy
MotherNature4
Bartow, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 14, 2006
1:06 PM

Post #2912300

I would prefer to see the botanical names in italics, but right now I'm so confused that I don't know where to start. It would be more simple if we could just it Ctrl i before and after the name. More people would understand. How about that Dave???
nifty413
Garland, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 14, 2006
4:29 PM

Post #2912827

MotherNature, it's really simple. If you want a phrase to appear like this:

I think the plant is Solanum dulcamara.

Type it like this:

I think the plant is <i>Solanum dulcamara</i>.

Basically, just type the "less than" symbol ( < ), the letter "i" (for italics), and then the "greater than" symbol ( > ). That makes any proceeding text you type italicized. To stop the italics, type the "less than" symbol ( < ), a forward slash ( / ), the letter "i", and the "greater than" symbol ( > ).
LAKelley2
Titusville, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 14, 2006
6:57 PM

Post #2913208

test, test

hmmmmm

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

November 14, 2006
8:31 PM

Post #2913403

[quote]Andy, the common name I know it by is deadly nightshade[/quote]

That's a different species (Atropa belladonna), with black (not red) berries, and very much more poisonous. Deadly Nightshade is (as its name suggests) lethally poisonous if eaten, whereas Bittersweet is only weakly poisonous (unpleasant stomach ache if you eat some berries, but not death, unless you eat a huge amount)

Resin
paalexan
Las Cruces, NM

November 15, 2006
3:44 AM

Post #2914671

nifty413:

Looks like you forgot the semicolons. In some contexts you don't need them, but in others they're what tells the browser to interpret the preceding characters as a separate unit to interpret as a symbol instead of plain text.

So, just to reiterate:

if you want this: Solanum dulcamara

type this: <i>Solanum dulacamara</i>
Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

November 15, 2006
7:08 AM

Post #2914840

Resin - My mistake. I um, have both that spring up here and there under shrubs and I try not to let them fruit, so it's been a while since I've seen them.

Suzy
nifty413
Garland, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 15, 2006
3:19 PM

Post #2915697

Patrick,

Now I'm confused. I don't see any semicolons in your last post. Unless you're talking about how to make the "<i>" post as seen versus "ampersand, lt, semicolon, ampersand, gt"???

Apologies to all the folks not interested in the code stuff, as this has veered off-topic. ;-)
MotherNature4
Bartow, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 15, 2006
6:39 PM

Post #2916290

Thanks for the simplification, Nifty. I'm going to try it out now.
Mother nature

Hooray, I've got it. Thanks so much.

This message was edited Nov 15, 2006 2:40 PM
paalexan
Las Cruces, NM

November 15, 2006
6:55 PM

Post #2916331

"Unless you're talking about how to make the "<i>" post as seen versus "ampersand, lt, semicolon, ampersand, gt"???"

Yup. To get "<i>", you need "&lt;i&gt;", whereas I would guess that earlier you typed "&lt;i&gt".

Patrick
nifty413
Garland, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 15, 2006
8:02 PM

Post #2916529

Gotcha, Patrick. I did forget that last semicolon... but does that make it display incorrectly in some browsers - without that end semicolon (I'm using I.E. 7)? Just curious. :-)
paalexan
Las Cruces, NM

November 15, 2006
11:27 PM

Post #2917246

"Gotcha, Patrick. I did forget that last semicolon... but does that make it display incorrectly in some browsers - without that end semicolon (I'm using I.E. 7)? Just curious. :-)"

Yup. On my end (using Firefox 1.5) your right angle-brackets were showing up as "&gt"... although if IE is showing things as you intended, maybe I'm the only one who saw anything odd. *shrug*

Patrick Alexander

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 22 Nov 3, 2014 6:02 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America