SOLVED: Can you tell me what this is?

Edinburg, IL(Zone 6a)

Is it an annual or a perennial? I got it at a garden center and should have paid more attention to the name because it bloomed all summer long. All I remember was that it had a really long name.

Thumbnail by eden100
Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

its a crossandra http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/134996/index.html

Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

Agreed.

I've always enjoyed the plant's specific (species) name - infundibuliformis. It's fun to say it out loud when used in place of an exclamatory statement (e.g. replace the phrase "Oh my goodness!" with "infundibuliformis!").

I know... I'm weird! :-)

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

sounds like something out of Harry Potter

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Eden: I also planted Crossandra for the first time this spring and it bloomed constantly. (Altho, I think I'm gonna call in infundibuliformis from now on ! ;> )Mine didn't get as full looking as yours though. It's in part shade as was recommended for my zone. Is yours in sun or shade? Did you do any extra ferilizing or pampering?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

It's a perennial but a rather tropical one so if you leave it in the ground over the winter it'll turn into an annual pretty quick! It's only hardy to zone 10 and is often grown as a houseplant in less than tropical climates.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 9b)

nifty, LOL! I can imagine a wand being waved. Reminds me of the plant I used to call Cotton Easter, until my teacher corrected me over his laughter. Ficus afghanistanica said with a Russian accent has its own charm.

Las Cruces, NM

"Infundibuliform", btw, means "funnel-shaped"...

Patrick Alexander

Ingleside, TX(Zone 9a)

I have 2 of these Crossandras in containers around my water garden.They are so pretty! I really enjoy mine. Hope you do, too!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.