Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Football lily

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Just trying to attach a photo of the bloom I had this summer-end.

Thumbnail by Dinu
Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Here is a site that has a picture and information on your plant. Kay
http://www.ilsham.demon.co.uk/haem_m.html

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Thanx Kay, that was interesting.
Some people call it the "May Flower" since this usually blooms at the beginning of May or just a few days either side.

This message was edited Monday, Jul 30th 12:37 AM

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Since you linked to this ancient (! LOL) post, I thought I'd bump it. I've never seen that plant before. Do you still have it?

south central, WI(Zone 5a)

I love that flower, would look lovely in an arrangement with arum leaves.
Do you know if it gets exported for the cut flower industry.?

Pine City, MN(Zone 4a)

Very pretty. Boy, this is an old post! :>)

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

How I wonder this had escaped your attention all these years!! This is one of my early pictures I took with my film camera just to be posted up here on DG when I was raw and uploading was quite a new facility as well. Scanners had just arrived too and that made it possible for me to do that.

That Football lily always arrives.. it is doing so early due to unseasonal rains. Usually it was up by April end or first week of May [as such, they also call it as May Flower here]. The bulbs are still there and it did come in March this year as it rained quite unusually then. I think I took a couple of pix this time. Here is one.

I love digging old posts.. thanks for raking it up for me!

Thumbnail by Dinu
Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

That is really something! It reminds me of the giant alliums that are hardy here. This lily would be a houseplant for us, however. I just looked it up, hoping it might not be tropical. LOL http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2440/

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

Well, I love it and it's color, think I'll add it to my wish list!

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Thanks for linking the plant up here on DG, gardenwife.

In zone 9b, you will do well to have a few in your garden, even though the grand show lasts just for a week. Easy to grow and look after.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.