A Chihuahua in Chihuahua, Chihuahua, Mexico

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Just returned from a delightful trip to Chihuahua, Mexico. The city of Chihuahua was having a contest to paint the Chihuahua dogs. I have seen this done with Cows in Chicago and Ponies in Santa Fe, NM. There were many different kinds and colors of Chihuahuas in the downtown area.

Thumbnail by pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Another Chihuahua in Chihuahua. This one is called Mathematica and is painted with numbers.

Thumbnail by pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Copper Canyon, Chihuahua

Thumbnail by pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Copper Canyon, Chihuahua Train

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Copper Canyon, Chihuahua Train, this time with photo. We are on the train taking photo.

Thumbnail by pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Tarahumara Indian Ladies Selling Baskets to people on Copper Canyon Train Train, el Chepe.

Thumbnail by pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Baskets and crafts of Tarahumara Indians for sale in Copper Canyon.

Thumbnail by pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Las Guyamacas, the B&B where we stayed in Casas Grandes.

Thumbnail by pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Exquisite modern pottery from the town of Mata Ortiz.

Thumbnail by pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Home of the originator of Mata Ortiz pottery in Mata Ortiz. Now there are several hundred potters there doing outstanding work. Juan Quesada originated the style, taught his children and they taught others. A community of potters was born in a previously poor village.

Thumbnail by pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Another magnificent modern Mata Ortiz pot, sitting on fireplace mantel

Thumbnail by pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Ruins of Paquime neare Casas Grandes. It is believed that buildings in this town were up to 6 stories high. It was famous for fine pottery, and for raising turkeys and mackaws and for trade in all of the above. Mata Ortiz learned pottery by copying what was unearthed at Paquime. Then they branched out into their own styles. Pots are often huge and exquisitely made. They are made of local clay. Pots are painted with ground local rock then fired.

Oops! See photo below!

This message was edited Nov 13, 2006 9:09 AM

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Red billed hummingbird at El Fuerte, Sinaloa. There were multitudes of hummingbirds throught he whole Copper Canyon trip. We saw many other interesting birds at El Fuerte along the river, Caracara, Ospreys, Cormorants, Vultures and many others.

Oops see photo of hummingbird below!

This message was edited Nov 13, 2006 9:09 AM

Thumbnail by pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Oops! Here are the Paquime Ruins

Thumbnail by pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Now the red billed hummingbird.

Thumbnail by pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Students from the local University performing traditional Mexican dances at El Fuerte, Sinaloa.

Thumbnail by pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Pinata and candy shop in Chichuahua, Chihuahua.

Thumbnail by pajaritomt
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Neat!! Love the pottery!!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Thanks! The people of Mata Ortiz are incredibly skilled potters.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

I do envy you that great trip. Thanks for taking photos and posting so we can all enjoy. Would have loved to take the train ride and to see the wonderful pottery.

Donna

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I will post some pictures of the pottery as soon as I photograph what I brought home.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

What a wonderful place to visit Betty! The vista is gorgeous, the local crafts show lovely detailed work and I'm looking forward to seeing what you purchased. The Paquime Ruins really captured my imagination.....I love watching the Discovery Channels documentaries on ancient habitations like the one shown above.

This message was edited Nov 16, 2006 11:11 PM

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

More coming soon. Betty

Nice Pics.there pajaritomt
Thanks for the Trip. Kell.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Glad you enjoyed the pictures. I guess I never did post any more. Maybe I will do that while I am waiting out the snow storm that is supposed to start tomorrow. Brought home lots of food for the duration in case the trucks can't get in.

I Had a slightly similar experience on this thread
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/682657/
Lots of comments at the start.
Then nothing , so I stopped posting the original Pics.
Now It`s a free for all . [Off topic stuff.]
If a bit of interest was shown it would be Fun to go on.

I really like your tour because I have never been to USA.
Thank you for listening. Kell

And please show some more.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I will show more, but probably not until tomorrow. Chihuahua is in Mexico, but not far from the US, in fact it borders the US. The city of Chihuahua is a few hundred miles from the border but the. Mexico is a really beautiful country and much more relaxed than the US, but improving economically all the time.

Great link Kell! Or should I say great tour? LOL.

Paj, post the pics please. And soon!!

Oops My mistake.
I Thought it was called north & south America.
I would like to take the free tour.

Hey Pep, do you get paid to cruize DG ???

LOL. No I only do it when the forums I'm watching are quiet.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Okay, I will add a few more pictures from Copper Canyon ( Barranca de Cobre) in Mexico. This one is a picture of the plaza in Creel where we got on the train. Unlike most of Chihuahua which is dry and desert like, Creel is in the mountains at a very high altitude and has a chilly climate. Houses tend to be log cabins or adobe which is an excellent insulator. Note that people are dressed warmly. Coats aren't required in much of Mexico, ever.
The ladies selling here are Tarahumara indians who mostly live in the bottoms and sides of the canyons in the Copper Canyon area. They have a very different lifestyle from their Latino neighbors and tend to keep to themselves. The bright calico clothes are typical of their women's dress.

Thumbnail by pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

This is a picture of the train we took, El Chepe. Chepe is an abbreviation of its full name the Chihuahua-Pacific. This train is an engineering marvel and was only completed in the '60s. It is a very nice train with lots of windows for sight seeing. We met tourists from all over the world on it.

Thumbnail by pajaritomt

Thanks for continuing paj.
I like train journeys.
Hard to imagine it would be cold there.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

This is market day in El Fuerte, the town near the Pacific Coast where we stayed. The vendors are selling flowers and candles by the case because it was Dia de Los Muertos ( Day of the Dead) At night everyone goes to the cemetery and puts out candles flowers and food on the graves of their loved ones. They bring the favorite foods and even cigarettes and booze that the loved on liked and sometimes the tools of their trade. It is not a sad holiday, but rather a celebration of those who have passed on.
Each home and many places of business build a Dia de Los Muertos Altar for the loved one in their homes as well. They sell little candies in the shape of skulls.
People come from all over the country to be with their loved ones. It is quite a different and festive view of death -kind of a family get together including the dead.
The cemeteries are all aglow at night that night. Some people pitch tents and camp there for days. We could see the tents in the grave yards from the train.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Oops, now the picture.

Inside the market ( the building behind the vendors) we saw heaps of dried rattlesnake for sale and lots of chile tepin, the hottest pepper they grow. They had them fresh or preserved in jars. I decided to skip it. We had wonderful chile all over Mexico, especially for breakfast.

This message was edited Jan 19, 2007 9:38 AM

Thumbnail by pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

The municipal building in El Fuerte. We spent a day in this little town which was once a major regional capitol in Mexico. It is quiet now but picturesque.

Thumbnail by pajaritomt

By the look of the bars on the windows,
They take security seriously.
Is it a trouble spot ?

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Typical Buildings in El Fuerte, from its days as a regional capital. Oops forgot picture! See next.

This message was edited Jan 19, 2007 10:09 AM

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Typical Buildings in El Fuerte, from its days as a regional capital.

Thumbnail by pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

El Fuerte isn't particularly a trouble spot except the guide said that they don't respect pedestrians. He always told us which towns respected pedestrians and which ones didn't.
Wrought iron gratings on windows are typical of Spanish architecture and are all over Mexico and even into Southwestern US. Of course, sometimes they are in troubled areas, but other times they are just for decoration. I suspect when these old buildings were built, El Fuerte was quite a wild place right on the verge of Indian country and full of none too savory folk who often hang out on frontiers.
Mexico is very poor though and I am sure people have to protect themselves from thieves.

This picture is from a float trip we took near El Fuerte. We saw lots of birds, not usually seen in the US such as whole trees full of vultures, ospreys, herons of various kinds, caracaras, and more. El Fuerte means The Fort. In this picture you see the fort the town was named after.

This message was edited Jan 19, 2007 10:31 AM

Thumbnail by pajaritomt

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.