Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

November 13, 2006
5:24 PM

Post #2910065

I would like to see how you all organize your pantry. I have a pantry with 3 slide out drawers and it's so unorganized...show me how to make it more organized!
Thanks!
suzi_downunder
Auckland
New Zealand

December 4, 2006
5:20 AM

Post #2966685

wouldnt mind knowing that myself
weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

December 4, 2006
3:53 PM

Post #2967582

Me neither! Guess no one wants to share their pantry pictures!
plantladyhou
Katy, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 4, 2006
3:57 PM

Post #2967589

I've only been keeping house for 51+ years and still haven't figured out how to organize a pantry. Last in, first out until eveything gets pushed to the back. Don't believe in cleaning out until we move and lo and behold the same thing happens at the next house. Constant battle so I choose to ignore it like I do the fridge...

Ann
weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

December 4, 2006
4:11 PM

Post #2967633

Great tactic Ann! Sounds like me!
There has to be an organized person with a pantry like mine that would let me see it!
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

December 4, 2006
4:26 PM

Post #2967670

Have a friend and former associate who used a Bates Date stamp - every week, all items past his "use by" date were tossed or donated. Every new item brought into the house got stamped.

Too much for me - if the cans aren't bulging - open and check - pitch or use.
weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

December 4, 2006
4:34 PM

Post #2967686

To much for me too! Sounds good though!

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

December 4, 2006
4:35 PM

Post #2967688

No pictures, but I currrently have an 18" wide, 8' tall pantry with 7 sliding baskets. Lesser-used stuff goes in the very top basket, then baking goods in the next two. The bottom half has snack foods (microwave popcorn, chips, nuts, etc. at eye level for the kids), two shelves of canned goods, then cereals, crackers and chips on the very bottom. I have no idea why I arrrange it that way, I just do.

Canned goods are sorted by soups, chili, canned pastas, and "heat-and-eat" stuff on one shelf (I have kids, can you tell?) and the second shelf is devoted to canned vegetables, tomatoes, condensed cream-of soups (all ingredients related to actual meal prep.) That lets me keep pretty good tabs on what needs restocking before I hit the grocery store. (No need to come home with a half-dozen cans of chili beans if I already have 4 in the pantry.)

I'm hoping to get a new walk-in pantry at Christmas. If I do, it'll probably be a mixed blessing: it'll be great to have more storage space, but could be wasteful if stuff gets shuffled to the back until it's too old to safely use. (The good thing about a small pantry is that things rarely get too old!)
weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

December 4, 2006
4:45 PM

Post #2967708

Thanks Terry, you sound pretty organized. Growing up, my dad built a pantry the size of a small closet, the shelves were on each side and the back wall and the middle was open, I hope you can get the visual, anyway, it was perfect, you could see everything in there and nothing got pushed to the back. I didn't have the room here when I remodeled and ended up with the 3 slide out drawers in my pantry.
Ok, here's my mess...

Thumbnail by weegy12
Click the image for an enlarged view.

weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

December 4, 2006
4:46 PM

Post #2967711

...and here's a closer shot...

Thumbnail by weegy12

weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

December 4, 2006
4:47 PM

Post #2967714

Looking at those photos, I've come to the conclusion that I just have too much crammed in there!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 4, 2006
4:59 PM

Post #2967744

Here's the back wall of my pantry, just 2 jars or 3 store-bought cans deep.

Thumbnail by darius

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 4, 2006
5:00 PM

Post #2967747

Here's the interior wall before I stocked it. It all has louvered doors, and the shinny middle section is for spices.

Thumbnail by darius

weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

December 4, 2006
5:06 PM

Post #2967762

Now that's an organized pantry! Thanks Darius for sharing. You're right, anything deeper than 2 or 3 jars or cans is too deep.
magoobu
Phoenix, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 9, 2006
4:12 PM

Post #2984965

That is why you have doors on yours weegy

CLOSE THEM!
weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

December 9, 2006
4:21 PM

Post #2984987

Oh, don't you worry, mags, they're closed at all times!!!!!!! I guess so the cat doesn't get in! ROFLMBO
magoobu
Phoenix, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 9, 2006
4:45 PM

Post #2985043

LMBO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
kyjoy
Frankfort, KY

December 20, 2006
9:32 PM

Post #3014742

I stock my pantry the old "Heloise" way:

Place all your "green" thngs on one shelf and mark the edge of the shelf green, such as pickles, peas beans, etc.. Place all your canned meats on another; i.e., beef stew, tuna, salmon, Vienna sausage, tamalies, meatballs, etc., mark it as such. On another shelf place all orange things such as yams, carrots, peaches, etc. On another place all red things such as beets, catsup, tomatoes, tomatoe sauce, puree paste, cranberries, etc. For another shelf place all yellow things: corn, pineapple, hominy, and mustard. And, finally a white shelf: macroni, potatoes, onions, apple sauce, pears, potatoes, noodles. Of course this system depends upon the number of shelves in your pantry.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 21, 2006
1:20 PM

Post #3016236

We might be organized.
Home canned goods, a little space between 2 doors.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 21, 2006
1:22 PM

Post #3016246

Lazy Susan, we built it so better than store bought. Containers are labeled so you can see what's inside without removing each one.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 21, 2006
1:24 PM

Post #3016250

First of 2 pull out storage. They pull out all the way!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 21, 2006
1:24 PM

Post #3016255

# 2

weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

December 21, 2006
3:34 PM

Post #3016572

You guys are certainly organized...I like the idea of putting the greens, canned meats, etc. all together. CG, your pantry is very well organized and I love all the home canned things.
Thanks, this certainly gives me lots of ideas!
garden_mermaid
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 26, 2006
11:36 PM

Post #3026888

Love the lazy susan turntable in the corner of the cabinet! Don't you just hate those "black holes" of hard to reach areas that are created when the builder just sticks two modular cabinets together. What a waste of space. Turntable corners are the way to go.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Kitchens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
If you were replacing a countertop, what would you choose? LooneyLinda 199 Sep 4, 2014 7:05 AM
As requested on another thread, here's my kitchen re-do Connie_G 53 Jun 3, 2007 5:32 AM
anyone use Sears to reface cabinets? ssdogwood 15 Aug 3, 2007 10:21 PM
Our kitchen is done ! CountryGardens 24 Oct 13, 2007 3:12 PM
Stainless Steel Appliances - Any suggestions?? azrobin 18 Jun 3, 2010 3:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America