Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

The Evolution of a 1917 Cottage Garden

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I stumbled across this reprint of an article from a 1917 gardening magazine entitled "Evolution of my Garden" written by Mrs Greenleaf Clarke and even with no photos, it is a delight to read and so easy to picture what a lovely cottage garden she had. Wonder if that was her real name or a pen name? Anyway, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Has a wonderful idea on how to grow sweet peas too.

http://www.earthlypursuits.com/GardenMag/GardenMag0517-235-6.htm

This message was edited Nov 15, 2006 7:04 AM

Scottsdale, AZ

interesting site. thanks

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 8b)

She had a great idea for the sweet peas! I bet her garden was lovely.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

i can't seem to get the page to display normally. help? It sounds delightful!

xx, Carrie

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

I think it's kind of stuck that way - looks like someone kind of scanned it in weird.

Did anyone else like that front cover illustration? Lovely...

http://www.earthlypursuits.com/GardenMag/GardenMag0517.htm

Glad to see you posting, Lincolnitess - unless I've been missing them, it's been a while, eh?

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Oh, duh, I get it. It's three columns. Fascinating. I was trying to read it straight across from left to right. One can almost visualize it, and I do like her sweet pea idea! I now find I am writing rather differently, and must--quickly now!--haste to Plantfiles to look up a great many things.

cedar rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Thank-you for sharing!!!! I enjoyed it..

Central, VA(Zone 7b)

When I started to read the article it all seemed familiar, so I looked back at the thread and saw it was started 11/15/2006 and then looked at the number of viewers. I think I must have been one of them. Linconitess, I hope you're still here in DG to see how many people you've reached. Thank you again.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.