-
AuthorContent
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 17, 2006
12:37 AM

Post #2920610

Well it's time for a new thread. We will be keeping Darius in our prayers.
It's so cold and wet up here where I am working that I took tonight off.
East Toledo, Toledo, Ohio
Elevation: 615 ft / 187 m
38.0 F / 3.3 C
Overcast
Humidity: 100%
Dew Point: 38 F / 3 C
Wind: 6.7 mph / 10.8 km/h from the North
Wind Gust: 7.8 mph / 12.6 km/h
Pressure: 29.54 in / 1000.2 hPa
Windchill: 33 F / 1 C
and between now and the next nine hours it won't be getting any better.
Here is a picture from my files of a great sky.
Sidney
Please come by often to post your pictures and daily weather and musings.

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 17, 2006
1:24 AM

Post #2920759

52.2(F), 74%, Dark & it sounds windy, but I'm not going out to check. Have a good evening all!
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 17, 2006
1:26 AM

Post #2920768

Dark and windy here too, Dyson. Beware of widow-makers in your wooded area, in this high wind
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

November 17, 2006
2:24 AM

Post #2920943

Great sunset, Sidney

Dark here, too, but not windy.

Updated: 6:51 PM PST on November 16, 2006
Observed at: Van Nuys, California
Elevation: 797 ft / 243 m
67 F / 19 C
Clear
Humidity: 32%
Dew Point: 36 F / 2 C
Wind: Calm

This message was edited Nov 16, 2006 7:25 PM

Thumbnail by Kelli

BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT
(Zone 6b)

November 17, 2006
4:42 AM

Post #2921259

We had our winds yesterday and the day before. Because we were on the edge of the storm that blew into the Rockies. No precip for us.

Sidney, am so glad you can take the night off when the weather is so mean. Be careful out there, weather can be the final straw. totally amazing sunset. So brilliant. we get those sometimes. Tonight ours was just pale by coparison.

Now it's really dark here. as it's late. LOL
today's Hi - 62, Low was 27, [ice in the buckets]
must be cloudy out there, the humidity is up to 62%
I've finished the other thread and loved the pics.
Rann, with those temps and those winds you could freeze your ears and nose. Stay inside.
~Blooms

Thumbnail by BloomsWithaView

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

November 17, 2006
7:55 AM

Post #2921367

Good morning!

Blooms - well my ears were warm and cozy but my nose did freeze a bit ;-)

Sidney - glad to hear you could take the night off - you deserve some rest :-)

Fortuanetly it's not as windy today but it is cold! It's 21F, still very dark at almost 9 am and 18 mph winds, gusting to 28 mph - a bit breezy still, but nothing like yesterday :-) I think it's partially cloudy.

Hope you all have a nice day!
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 17, 2006
9:59 AM

Post #2921425

Still dark, however the wind seems to have abated, I did not hear any major limbs hit la casa de doublewide during the eve. And there was no evidance of power outages (flashing clocks) so all is well.

42.3(F), 77%, got to go to work..

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

November 17, 2006
10:24 AM

Post #2921444

Good Morning All! It's 47* & Dark! It's finally quit raining! Man, what a miserable day, yesterday! I stayed wet all day! Not to mention the bucket of water that was dumped on me! lol I got home last night at 8:30 & was so cold & wet...I took a shower to warm up then I went to bed! I'll get the pix ready for you all this evening. The hatchery flooded yesterday & it took us 2 extra hours to get the babies loaded! We had to ship them in semi-muddy water! But the majority seemed to fair well & it looks as if they are going to like their new home!
Love all your pix! and would love to comment on them all, but i've got to get ready for school...I'm glad I studied for that test earlier!

Take care & I'll get back with you this evening! (thinking of Darius!)
Fall in the Woods

Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 17, 2006
10:52 AM

Post #2921465

Scream!!! I lost all my comments in cyberspace!!!

Marylin, that's the way it goes. Colds around here started a few weeks ago. I haven't heard of any flu yet. (Crossed fingers.)

Rannveig, wonderful pictures! It really gives a feel to where you live.

Littlepath, Welcome! I love your name.

Sharon, they have a spike of small white flowers. These grow in light shade.

Early, how wonderful! DD has them all over. They dug a pond beside one and it slowly trickles in. They have jewelweed growing all over. A big congratulations to your sister! I couldn't sing to save my life. :(

Suger, that is beyond gorgeous. Your skies never disappoint! I'm glad you were able to get the night off. That sounds miserable. No good to have cold seep into your bones!

Seeds, just the word ''widow-makers'' sounds scary!

Kelli, that is beautiful!

Blooms, all sky pictures are wonderful!

Oh Joey, a bucket of water! A short scream mentally escaped me! Wow, the leaves are beautiful! So many different shapes all fallen together.

We were barely 30* and cloudy at 4:10 am. (When the cat throws up, you get up.) Its calm for a change, but the wind is supposed to pick up later. Not a nice day at all. At least the morning paper was here by 4:30 am so I've been out. It's so quiet.

Jewelweed. We'll try this again.

Thumbnail by billyporter

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 17, 2006
11:19 AM

Post #2921493

Sidney - so glad you took last night off. I can't imagine working outside in that kind of weather. Hopefully the weather will clear some today. Beautiful sunset.
Se_eds - what are wdiow-makers?
Kelli - Love the Christmas cactus!
Blooms - that looks like one of our sunsets! All that pink and blue!
Littlepath - Welcome!
Sally - LOL - kitty barf - yep it's time to get up!! ;) Been there many times.
Marylyn - so sorry you're not feeling well. No colds/flu here yet...
It's a pretty morning here - not dark - no snow!
Here's the forecast.. our high today is 65 and our low tonight is 39 brrrrrrrrrr
Clear
Temp: 48F
Humidity: 74%
Wind Speed: VRB 6 MPH
Barometer: 30.00 in.
Dewpoint: 40F
Heat Index: 48F
Wind Chill: 45F
Sunrise: 6:53 AM EST
Sunset: 5:28 PM EST

Thumbnail by MySharona

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 17, 2006
1:43 PM

Post #2921803

Good morning, everyone! I'm feeling better today. My wonderful husband came home last night and took over the bunnies and sent me to bed. Yayy! :-) I'm sure the little bunny brought this cold home from school. I popped in there on Wednesday, and everyone's noses were dripping. And since they are 3 and 4 year olds in there, they're not very good about using tissues and covering their mouths when they sneeze.

Someone around the corner from us is either having a really big party for breakfast, or else is having a garage sale.. There are cars parked everywhere! LOL

I hope you all have drier days today! I'm very glad, too, that you took the night off, Sidney!

It is very pretty here again. The big bunny and I may need to do the writing and math parts of our homeschooling on the driveway with chalk this afternoon. :-)

Current conditions:
Fair 50F (10C) (It's supposed to get up to 70)
Humidity: 68 %
Wind Speed: E 6 MPH
Barometer: 30.06" (1018.5 mb)
Dewpoint: 40F (4C)
Wind Chill: 48F (9C)
Visibility: 10.00 mi.

With prayers for Darius...
~ Marylyn

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 17, 2006
1:58 PM

Post #2921829

Sharon, the perfect picture. I could walk right out of it and enjoy your weather.

Marylyn, I goofed on your name earlier. Where is that spellchecker! Lessons in chalk. That would be fun. If you have a long walk! Maybe you could sneak next door. Someone might hand you a plate. :))

Darius, I forgot to send good thoughts your way earlier. They're coming thru now! A bright blue sky with the moon peeking thru in the top third of the silver maple tree. Get well!

Thumbnail by billyporter

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 17, 2006
2:01 PM

Post #2921837

good morning!

The clouds and rain have passed and it's bright and sunny this today. No wind to speak of, just gusts here and there all day yesterday...the worst went south. We totaled about 3.5 inches of rain on already soaked ground...makes it pretty mushy in places.

Today's high will be about 50.
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

November 17, 2006
3:49 PM

Post #2922136

Marylyn glad you're feeling better! My younger one stayed home with a cold today - it's cold season after all. And you're so right, at that age the whole group gets it ... and I too ofcourse ... Feeling a bit out of sorts today - could it possibly be that awfully cold day yesterday???

Joey - sounds like you had a rough (and very wet) day yesterday - hope today is better :-)

Sally - thanks! How you can get up at 4:30 is beyond me - I can not wake up before 8 am!

Dyson - glad to hear that the storm's passed without incident :-)

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 17, 2006
4:35 PM

Post #2922261

Well, Simply great pictures, pastel clouds, Christmas Cactus, leaves and bright skies.
Here 40.7 F / 4.8 C
Clear
Humidity: 56%
Dew Point: 26 F / -3 C
Wind: 4.0 mph / 6.4 km/h from the WSW
Wind Gust: 13.0 mph / 20.9 km/h
Pressure: 29.95 in / 1014.1 hPa
Windchill: 38 F / 3 C
At least it's not cold and wet.
Sidney
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 17, 2006
10:44 PM

Post #2923228

44.8(F), 55%, Dark again,-

While it was still light, and warmer (high 50's), I got the used headlight assembly installed in the car and got all of the lights working except the side marker (I'll get that tomorrow).
I had to bend a lot of metal out of the way to get the old assembly out and even more to get the new (used) one in, but at least I can drive it during non daylight hours w/out worry about an improper equipment ticket.

Now if I can only find a good used hood, fender and bumper, it won't look so bad.

Got to work, tomorrow. Have a good evening all.
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 17, 2006
11:17 PM

Post #2923301

Hi all!
Sidney it's gonna get cooooooold tonight!
Tonight...Mostly clear. Patchy inland frost and fog after midnight. Lows in the lower 40s near the coast...Upper 30s inland. Northwest winds 5 mph.
Dyson - glad you got the car in working order! MY DH tried to change the right turn signal on my car. It didn't work! Kept getting the "1 Malfunction" message every time I started the car up! Today I finally took it to a friend's husband (owns a auto repair shop) to get it fixed!! DH can usually repair anything (handyman 2nd job), but the blinker beat him up!!
Sally - you got me beat! I'm up at 5:00 to get in my workout before work. Otherwise I wouldn't have a chance!
My daisies are blooming!

Thumbnail by MySharona

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

November 17, 2006
11:51 PM

Post #2923396

How you guys can wake up so early is beyond me - 5 am?? At what time do you go to bed?? While I went to high school in FL I had to get up at 6:20 for school and I don't know how I managed that for three years.

Dyson - glad you could fix up your car :-)

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

November 18, 2006
12:16 AM

Post #2923465

Good Evening Every Body!!! It's 44* & dark ;-)
Thanx Rannveig, Had a much better day today, but still got soaked...
We did somemore fillets...120lbs. worth. And then we went to the building where the babies are kept to clean out the mud! It was still flooding in there but the mud was (is) subsiding. I didn't get to feed them, I don't guess you're supposed to when the water is cloudy.
Speaking of clouds...I got some good shots at lunch today...It was snowing in Bluefield this morning, but it spit some rain at the hatchery, & then the sun tried to pop out for a sec or 2.
Marylyn, hope you have gotten a grip on the cold thingy.
Sharon, stay Warm!
Sally, I figure there are about 4 different kinds of leaves layin' on the moss. Maple (mostly), Sicamore(sp), Oak, & Wild Cherry.

Here's one of the sky shots...at the hatchery. Kind o' ominous lookin'.

Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 18, 2006
1:00 AM

Post #2923590

Rann - LOL! I take after my dad, we're early birds. I'm generally in bed around 10.
Joey - that sky does look ominous! 120 lbs???? That's a lot of fish!!

Thumbnail by MySharona

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 18, 2006
7:34 AM

Post #2924178

Very Dark - 37.0(F), 64%
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

November 18, 2006
10:26 AM

Post #2924221

Good morning all!

It's going to be a beautiful day today I think - it's CALM finally and clear skies and FREEZING , it's 11F!!!!!!! That's about as cold as it gets here ... didn't get that cold once last winter or the one before that either I think. Must be some kind of record for November - we usually don't get such a bad freeze until Jan. or Feb ... oh my poor plants. I hope I don't loose too many - none of the borderline perennials are covered up yet - I usually don't cover them up until after Christmas ... The good news is that it'll warm up tonight and there is SNOW in the forescast :-) That'll be good for the plants and make my girls very happy!

Sharon - I'm so far from being a morning person it's horrible - my best time of day is at night and then it's time to go to bed :-(

Joey - those are ominous clouds - very nice photo! 120 lbs of fish sounds like a lot of back-aching work to me! You've sure been busy these last couple of days.

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

November 18, 2006
10:41 AM

Post #2924228

Good Morning All! It's 38* & Dark :-0
I'm gonna go work at the hatchery somemore today. We'll probably do somemore de-boning.
Sharon, I'm a fairly "early riser", as well. I can't seem to stay in bed past 7:00. :-D But I really have to set the alarm if I want to get up at 5:30. I have been known to forget to set it ... which has me running late, but I manage to get to school on time & don't know how. Your daisies are so pretty. Mine are all wild, so I don't plant any.
Dyson, Glad to hear that your car is in proper running condition! Watch out for those deer! this morning!
Rannveig, I'm trying to finish my practicum before Thanksgiving. As of today I will have 56 hours in (& I only started last week!). I have to have 80 hours total & hope to be finished up by Tuesday!
Here's a pic taken at the experimental raceway in Boone co. They raise some Golden trout! And the hatchery got 5,000 Brown & 5, 000 Brook trout yesterday!
Have a great day!

Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

November 18, 2006
10:47 AM

Post #2924233

Good morning Joey ! Those are some nice looking babies - they're yellow! Hope you have a great day :-)

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

November 18, 2006
10:56 AM

Post #2924240

Thanx Rannveig, The Golden Trout is supposed to be the best "eating" ones. They're the only one's (other than Steelhead) that I haven't tried. Here's apic of some of the Rainbow that Boone Co. has...(not a good pic)

Thumbnail by music2keep

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

November 18, 2006
11:25 AM

Post #2924264

Those are the normal color - never heard of Golden Trout ... interesting color.

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

November 18, 2006
11:37 AM

Post #2924274

I only know of the 5 different kinds. The Brown & Brook are both a brown color & much smaller in size. Good sport fishin', tho. I can't wait 'til Those babies hatch, the eggs are even a different color!

Another sky pic...

Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 18, 2006
12:29 PM

Post #2924347

Well, last night I dodged the first lay-off. Job is nearly complete, so it will come anytime. It was 38º when I drove home this morning at 5:30. A good night at work. I'm looking down the road for 3 week job before Christmas.
Today is the BIG GAME Ohio State (#1) vs Michigan State (#2). A 103 year rival and very big with those national ratings.
XDH was born in Ann Arbor, Mich. while his father was a student at MS. Guess I'll root for them. Must get some shut-eye.
Sidney
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 18, 2006
12:50 PM

Post #2924380

Good Morning! Had to run the heater for the first time last night. A tad too chilly at the lowest of 39. I think we've all agreed that this has been an unusually chilly fall! The weather center has called for our 1st freeze to be on Monday night 32 with wind chills in the 20's. That's waaaaay early for us, doesn't happen until January. I'll have to get my ratty old sheets ready to cover plants just in case! We'll see, the weather can change completely in 2 days. It would be nice to have a cool Thankgiving instad of one in the 80's.
Joey - I have to set the alarm for 5:00. Like you the longest I can sleep in is around 7'ish otherwise my back starts aching! Cool pix! The golden trout are so pretty.
Pretty and bright outside! Our high today is 64 and breezy. Great day to play in the dirt!
Partly Cloudy
Temp: 54F
Humidity: 72%
Wind Speed: VRB 3 MPH
Barometer: 30.03 in.
Dewpoint: 45F
Heat Index: 54F
Wind Chill: 54F
Sunrise: 6:54 AM EST
Sunset: 5:27 PM EST
Cardinal pic taken yesterday.

Sidney - so glad your job is safe. Stay warm and get some shut-eye!

This message was edited Nov 18, 2006 8:53 AM

Thumbnail by MySharona

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

November 18, 2006
2:41 PM

Post #2924568

Joey - love the photo - W-Virginia has some pretty nice scenery :-)

Sharon - sleeping in is getting up at 10 or 11, not 7! lol Love the cardinal - wish I could have taken some home with me when we moved. I really, really miss them.

Sidney - glad to hear your job's safe for now :-)
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

November 18, 2006
2:44 PM

Post #2924581

Good morning all! Been out of town for a couple of days, so I've been trying to catch up!
I'm with the early risers these days. Can't sleep past 7 usually, which is weird because I use to be a very late sleeper on weekends. It's and age thing I think. Great photo's everyone.
Sharona: We also had a frosty night. Low was 35 and a light frost. Here too, sooner than normal. I covered up the tender plants and strung lights on my little palm tree. I refused to turn on the heat in the house because I didn't want my plants to dry out! Crazy.
Anyway, here's a photo I took Thursday a.m. after all that stormy-ness had blown through over night. We got 3" of rain. I call this one "Summer's over". Guess it's time to dismantle the hammock. :(

Thumbnail by DebinSC

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

November 18, 2006
2:46 PM

Post #2924588

Currently:
50F
Clear
Wind: N at 10 mph
Humidity: 66%
Low tonight expected to be 35 again.

This morning's sky:

Thumbnail by DebinSC

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

November 18, 2006
2:49 PM

Post #2924594

just one more: IMHO, the best season for Bradford Pear Trees.

Thumbnail by DebinSC

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 18, 2006
2:57 PM

Post #2924609

5am is only good if I'm STILL up. I had to get up that early for work for a while and I hated it. :-P I'm a night owl, too. If I could go to bed at 3am and get up at 10 or 11 everyday, I would be very very happy. Unfortunately, the rest of the world doesn't work on that schedule. :-)

GO BUCKEYES!!!!! The game starts at 2:30 CST... My husband had to work this morning, but should get off at 2:00 so he will distract the bunnies while the game is on. I don't know if he is doing it to help me or to protect them... LOLOL I get just a bit loud during these things. :-D

It's going to get down to 40 here for the next few nights, but no lower, so I don't need to pull out my freeze cloths yet. I hope your plants make it through ok, Rann and Sharon!! It should get up to about 72 this afternoon.

Current conditions:
A Few Clouds with Haze 61F (16C)
Humidity: 81 % (back to normal)
Wind Speed: NE 3 MPH
Barometer: 30.19" (1022.7 mb)
Dewpoint: 55F (13C)
Visibility: 4.00 mi.

This message was edited Nov 18, 2006 9:59 AM
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

November 18, 2006
4:02 PM

Post #2924786

Ooo, golden trout, the state fish of California. I've never seen any in real life. Of what I have seen, wild brook trout are the prettiest.

5AM is time to roll over and go back to sleep for a couple more hours. I am not a morning person. I am not that much of a night person, either. I rarely stay up past 10:30. I need my beauty sleep. ;-)

They're calling for a high of 88 today and 90 tomorrow - just a bit unnecessary, IMO. Remember that this isn't typical. Average is around 70F.
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

November 18, 2006
5:34 PM

Post #2925011

Oh - Debi that hammock looks so comfy! I need to get me one of those ... ;0)
That pear foliage is awesome - what a shocking red color that is!

Marylyn - I'm with you - going to be at 1 am and waking up between 9 and 10 would be so sweet ... I always feel I'm in the wrong timezone ... If my girls wake up between 6 and 7 I tell them to go back to bed and keep sleeping 'cause it's still NIGHT and no time to get up yet ;-)

Kelli - 70 sounds good - 90's a bit over the top maybe for November. The temps here are up to 18F now - which is still too cold!

My older one didn't let that stop her from going out - there was hardly any wind so if properly dressed I guess it was a pretty nice day. I didn't - blame it on Florida - but I don't like the cold :-)

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

November 18, 2006
6:01 PM

Post #2925071

Rann: Yep, the hammock gets alot of use in the summer since it's in a nice shady spot. I frequently collapse there with a lemonade after hours of digging, weeding, planting, etc. (Glad i wasn't there when those pine limbs came down!)

When to whole pear tree goes red I'll post a photo; right now it's only about 1/3 of the way there.
Meanwhile, the Nandina's are pretty much red all over!

Thumbnail by DebinSC

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

November 18, 2006
6:08 PM

Post #2925092

Debi - those are pretty too! I'd have to place the hammock in the sun or have a quilt to keep me warm :-) The one we have now is pretty shaded (from the trees ) so I don't usually manage to stay there long - it's better to keep moving in the shade - it's usually pretty chilly ;-)
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

November 18, 2006
9:02 PM

Post #2925478

Someone has lost their pet zebra finch. We've seen it in the yard many times over the past month or three weeks.

Updated: 1:33 PM PST on November 18, 2006
Observed at: Cass & Reforma, Woodland Hills, California
Elevation: 975 ft / 297 m
86.3 F / 30.2 C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 21%
Dew Point: 42 F / 5 C
Wind Gust: 3.0 mph / 4.8 km/h

Thumbnail by Kelli

littlepath
Arrington, VA

November 18, 2006
9:05 PM

Post #2925483

hi all from va
we have had a great day here even though its the first day of hunting season. its been clear. no wind and a great day to make food for my church thanksgiving lunch on sunday. imad e an apple crumb pie and waldorf salad, with dried crannberries instead of rasins.
really good tasting macintosh apples. our county [nelson] has many nice apples oh also numerous winerys. we are very rural with only 14,000 people living here.
the weather today:
high 50*
low so far 34*[last night]
50* at 5:02pm
winds w 3 mph
46% hum.
sunny

everyone have a safe and blessed day

littlepath
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

November 18, 2006
9:12 PM

Post #2925515

Wow, only 14,000 people! I'd like to live in a place like that. Only about 10 million in this county. There are other reasons to like it here, though. Now what would be great would be Los Angeles County with 14,000 people, as long as I was one of them. ;-)

This message was edited Nov 18, 2006 2:13 PM
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

November 18, 2006
10:47 PM

Post #2925780

Littlepath - sounds like a nice day all round! Like the sound of the goodies you've made, makes my mouth water :-) 14,000 would be a pretty fair sized town here, the fourth largest town has around 16.000. Hafnarfjrdur is the 3rd largest town/city in Iceland with 22,000 :-) The capital, Reykjavik has around 114,000 (1/3 of the population) which is a bit too crowded for my taste.
Kelli I can't even imagine 10 million people in one city ... That zebra finch should be warm enough in your lovely climate - I wonder if it can find food. Maybe birdfeeders? Is it tame? I'm afraid it wouldn't last long out here.

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

November 18, 2006
11:00 PM

Post #2925827

Good Evening All! It's 44* & Dark! :-)
It was a good day at the hatchery ~ right nippy this morning ~ but the babies got fed! I learned how to feed the big boys & what size feed to use. Some of the raceway was still a little muddy, so some wouldn't eat much. There are mesh screens at the end of each race & we had to clean them ~ they were all gunked up with mud...YucK!
Kelli! That cactus looks like a beautiful Orchid! (And the Brookies taste the best, too!)
Littlepath! Welcome & I'm comin' over to eat with ya! I love Waldorf Salad & will be making some for the festivities this upcoming week. I suppose I'll be making bread & pies all day Wednesday.
Deb, I hope the hammock wasn't damaged. Looks like a really nice "resting" place...And I'm glad that you weren't in it when the limbs came down, too!
Rannveig, Iceland is in the news! The whaling begins...what's your oppinion? And the "house" in the pic is my dream home! :-D ~ I would love to live Right There!
Sharon, love the bird house. It seems rather secluded!
Well, gotta do laundry...DH has done some, but I will finish.

Can you see where the water was over the road?

Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

November 18, 2006
11:21 PM

Post #2925915

Wow Joey - another wonderful photo! I wouldn't mind living in that house either :-)

So Iceland made it on the news?! The whaling begun a few weeks ago - we've been getting a lot of bad press at least the first week. They're on a break now I think due to bad weather. My personal opinion is that it's not a very good decision (especially concerning the fin whales) which might potentially hurt the whale watching business that's been fast growing in the past years. When I was a kid we did have whale meat (minke whale) for dinner on occation - but it's not something I miss eating. I don't think I'd go out and buy a steak and I'm not even sure what they're going to do with all this meat - have yet to see that there will be a market for it. So basically I'm against it although I think some of the reactions have been a bit over the top. I'm more concerned about human lives than a few whales, althoug giving a licence to hunt the fin whales was very debatable. There's plenty of minke whales around and hunting a few of them won't do any damage ... but since it's so controversial I don't think it'll be profitable or in our best interest. Would have preferred to make the news on something more positive ;-)

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

November 18, 2006

Post #2926005

Helluuuu!
Rannveig, now you know the news never has anything good to say...if they did, they would just keep track of what's going on at DG's! ;-)
I've got plenty of Peters Mountain pix...here ya go!

Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 19, 2006
8:25 AM

Post #2926959

Well, that reprieve was short lived and tonight I got 2 hours show up time and the adios. This is NOT bad news, just the way my work goes. As usual we were promised 3 weeks, when 2 were what was there.
I still have 6 weeks to get 15 days work, so I am not daunted.
I will check, Detroit, Cleveland, Philly and Georgia on Monday morning. I have tomorrow to wash and pack my van.
37.9 F / 3.3 C
Clear
Humidity: 77%
Dew Point: 31 F / -0 C
Wind: 1.0 mph / 1 km/h from the NNW
Wind Gust: 4.0 mph / 6 km/h
May get a little snow tomorrow.
Sidney
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

November 19, 2006
11:17 AM

Post #2927034

Good morning all!

Joey - you're so right - there's hardly ever anything positive on the news ... That is a nice photo! Pretty horses :-)

I was hoping for a bit of snow to cover up my plants - and boy did it snow last night! The girls were so excited this morning you could have thought it was Christmas! I think there's about 8" of snow out there - it's blown a bit in drifts so some places it's deeper ... and it's still snowing.
It's warmed up quite a bit - up to 31F, 29 mph winds from the east, gusting to 40 mph so the snow is blown around a bit ...
My little one just came inside crying "There's too much snow!" ... it is a bit too much for little feet :-)

Here's how things were looking this morning :-)

Thumbnail by rannveig

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

November 19, 2006
12:15 PM

Post #2927094

Good Morning ALL! It's 35* & cloudy...
Rannveig, glad the girls got some snow! Boy, did they ever! 8 inches is ideal! & it looks like they certainly are enjoying themselves! I'd bet (even after complaining) they'll be right back out there in it! :-D
I love those horses, and I usually see deer in there with them. But not that day...
Sidney , good luck in finding 15 more days. Hopefully you will get them done in 2-3 more weeks, then you can go home & enjoy the Christmas Holidays! :-D Will you get to go home for Thanksgiving? Will you get to space it out so you can? (Thinking about ya!)

This is the building where the babies are kept...& the ponds in front are for the great big fellers

Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

patischell
Fort Pierce, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 19, 2006
12:17 PM

Post #2927098

Joey, LOVED the WVA pictures. They remind me of my "homeland" in Western NC. I can't get used to seeing fuzzy horses, they stay slick and shiney here all year!

Rannveig, when I opened the door this morning to let TomKitty out, I felt like your way-to-cute little ones in the snow! It was 42 with a breeze and totally unexpected. Might not seem like much to you "northern" people, but it was a chilling experience (literally) in a short silky nightgown! LOL

Yesterday was Heathcoate, our small botanical garden's annual plant sale. I wish everyone could have been with me to see wonderful blooms. Very informal, the vendors just set up around a large open field. It was a cloudless day and the sun was like a spotlight lighting up all the flowers. Of course my personal favorite, the Bougainvillaes, were each trying to outshine each other with masses of blooms. The new colors were just spectacular! My daughter brought home a lovely pale violet one. I was on my best behaviour and only brought home 3 purple and white striped Petunias and 2 Golden Dewdrops. (sigh)
Pati

PS. Sugar, Hope your jobs work out for you. Maybe next winter you can find some jobs in the SOUTH!!!! LOL

This message was edited Nov 19, 2006 8:20 AM

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

November 19, 2006
12:29 PM

Post #2927124

Pati, Good morning. And where are you from (in western NC)? I love it there & it is very similar to here.
And nothing like a "cool" breeze going up your skirt! LOL I cannot imagine buying flowers this time of year! I love "tunias". Alas, they are only annuals here...(sigh)

Joey
patischell
Fort Pierce, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 19, 2006
12:46 PM

Post #2927164

Hi Joey. I was born and grew up in Asheville, but my family roots are in Hendersonville. Seems like a ggggggrandfather fought on the wrong side during the Rev. War and when the Colonials won the battle at Kings Mountain he had to run for the hills to hide. His father didn't make it and the Colonials hung him! Anyway...that's where I began!
Pati

corky59
Lakeland, FL

November 19, 2006
12:47 PM

Post #2927167

Hi, Sugar go check out the much ado about nothing thread. I send my loves to Darius to as you know several of us have the "unspoken" love-bond between us and I sure hope our 47 tonite and 70 today omg I love it. gal D. gets okay. Hey we are all survivors and nuttin short of Jeremy not writing me could break me heart. Having central fla. round up here in March and can't wait to see all me brothers and sisters then. xoxoxo Corky P.S. cool here for Fla.
corky59
Lakeland, FL

November 19, 2006
12:50 PM

Post #2927176

omg! did u see what the thread did? I didn't check out the boo boo so ya'all figure it out rofl. Corky aka Marilynne
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

November 19, 2006
1:04 PM

Post #2927199

Pati - 42F must have been a very refreshing breeze :-) Oh I LOVE bougainvillas! If I ever get a sun room attached to my house I'd like to grow bougainvillas there! They didn't grow up in Gainesville, but we loved seeing them when we traveled down south and to the Keys :-)

Great photo Joey - the girls are still inside. My younger one has a cold so it's just as well she got fed up with it :-)

The sun's peeking through the clouds now - it stopped snowing. I just took this photo a few minutes ago, just before 2 pm - this is just about as high as the sun gets this time of year ;-) Done shoveling A LOT of snow - that's the downside ... it's a lot of work ...

Hi Corky - nice to meet you :-)

Thumbnail by rannveig

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

November 19, 2006
1:35 PM

Post #2927259

Ugggghhhh, Shoveling! When it's deep that can be rough! But snow can make it "toasty" inside. Great insulation! And a great time for hot chocolate! Yummmmmm...
Pati, interesting history! Some of my anscestors faught in the civil war (the Irish Brigade) & somemore in the French & Indian wars. (Iroquios) I've been told that Irish & Native American are not a good mix! A temper thing...Maybe it's an attitude thing...my poor DD has it on both sides...not to mention her hair is a reddish tint! LOL (Gotta Love Her!) Myself, on the other hand, I'm more easy-going & nature loving. :-D
This is my hot tempered (thrives on activity) "Miss Emily"...:-)

Thumbnail by music2keep

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

November 19, 2006
2:24 PM

Post #2927397

I love that photo of your Emily :-) After shoveling the drive way to get to the cars it turns out that the snow layer covering it is a little over 12". It's a lot to shovel! It's a good thing we have a jeep (or SUV or whatever you call it) since it's going to take a while to get the car out I think. We're going to a birthday party later - my nephew is 7 today - what a birthday present he got ! :-)
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

November 19, 2006
2:29 PM

Post #2927407

Morning to all!
36 when I let the pup out at 7 this morning. That's nearly 10 degr below normal. Brrrr! I know - another thin-blooded southern wimp! (My DH is from the UK and he thinks 36 degr is "lovely".) Rann: I don't know how you take the cold and dark. The photo of your kids in the snow is wonderful!
Pati: I have lots of happy childhood memories of family vacations spent in Western NC.
Joey: Been meaning to tell you how I love your WV pics. So essentially American. U should do a book! And speaking of petunias, mine seem to only do well in the cooler weather. They struggle in the heat. Here's a pic from early last spring. This pot by my garage door bloomed from October thru June.

Thumbnail by DebinSC

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

November 19, 2006
2:33 PM

Post #2927416

Debi - lol - well 36 is ok, it's the below 20 temps I have problems with. Not too bad today, except for the hard labor of shoveling snow. I'm afraid I'll have some sore muscles tomorrow.

So petunias are winter flowers in the south - that's funny - here they'd flower from June to Sept. :-)
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

November 19, 2006
2:39 PM

Post #2927430

Rann-Depends on how hot the summer gets. Those purple wave petunias can make it through the summer for me if I water almost daily, or if they're in a part shaded spot, but the purple ones seem to just fade away as soon as it gets near 90 (which is does very often from late June through Sept.). Many plants that are supposed to thrive in "full sun", can't seem to take our version of summer.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 19, 2006
2:50 PM

Post #2927472

Love those winter wonderland shots. Good to hear from Ms Pati and Ms Corky (who incidentally broke her kneecap last week.)
Many new work prospects, but they are in chilly places like Summerset, NY...Not long enough and Wausau, Wisconsin.
Pati I have many warm clothes, but none waterproof.
Prayers still with Darius.
Sidney
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 19, 2006
5:13 PM

Post #2927805

Petunias are winter flowers here, too, as are pansies, alyssum, carnations, etc.. None of which I have gotten around to planting yet this year. I need to get busy! :-)

This would be a GREAT day to work outside on the garden. The bunnies are still sick, so my husband and I played tag team church this morning - I went to the 9:30 service and sang with the choir and then snuck out early and came home so my Charles could go to the 11:00 service. Maybe this afternoon I can run out and get some mulch and work on the yard.

Current conditions:
Fair 63F (17C)
Humidity: 33 %
Wind Speed: NE 6 MPH
Barometer: 30.37" (1028.8 mb)
Dewpoint: 33F (1C)

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

November 19, 2006
6:59 PM

Post #2928002

Helluuu! Rannveig, SUV or Jeep will do. :-)
Deb, I love pansies, spikes & petunias together! My spikes, mums, & vinca vines are still going strong, but after tonight they may go...as long as I keep them under the eve they may hang on, tho.
Corky! Take care of that knee! Got to be able to do gardening ;)
Sidney, I know Darius is "ill" but my I ask what (exactly) is wrong? as I am quite concerned...as close as I live I could actually go to visit!
Marylyn, Playing in mulch sounds like a lot of fun! :-D I need to go dig up my elephant ears (bulbs). They don't winter well & are covered with leaves, but they still need to come out of the ground...

It's 48* & still cloudy...Has the look of snow! and it's supposed to get into the 20's tonight...so I am gonna go dig!
Have great afternoon!
(more Trout ponds)

Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 19, 2006
7:17 PM

Post #2928038

Updates on Darius: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/668184/
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

November 19, 2006
8:26 PM

Post #2928192

I have no clue what the zebra finch is eating. He doesn't come to our bird feeder but other people have feeders, too. He spends a lot of time singing or calling. I wonder if he's lonely. I don't know if they live in groups or not.

Updated: 1:03 PM PST on November 19, 2006
Observed at: Cass & Reforma, Woodland Hills, California
Elevation: 975 ft / 297 m
88.8 F / 31.6 C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 15%
Dew Point: 35 F / 2 C
Wind Gust: 2.0 mph / 3.2 km/h

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 19, 2006
9:24 PM

Post #2928319

I can't catch up, but I looked at the pictures.

Joey, I did enjoy your fish. I had no idea how they were caught or moved. The chute was interesting and they were so cute. Aren't all babies cute to some extent? Emily is beautiful!

Rannveig, your girls are as cute as ever. They say the darndest things too!

Everyone else, nice pictures, especially the daisy Sharon!

I secretly enjoy getting up early as long as I can stay home!!!

It's 42* right now. It was cold all day! We took the jeep out and ran out of gas in our own driveway waiting for the garage door to open.

This is the highway south of Nichols. We're driving North. The field, barn and grey house is my Dad's. It's where I grew up.The field used to be fenced in. We had a pony, then sheep for a couple of years when I was little.

Thumbnail by billyporter

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

November 19, 2006
11:29 PM

Post #2928657

Good Evening "Peeps" (as Emily says) It's 42* & drizzling!
Marylyn, thanx for the link...my prayers are with Darius. 'Hoping she continues to mend & that her surgery goes well. I do miss her. And maybe if she comes home on Tuesday I can get down to see her. (maybe I can find out where she lives)
Thanx Sally. Em's a fairly happy child, but has a short fuse. :-)

Take care All & Have a Good Evening!

Joey

More Ominous Clouds...

Thumbnail by music2keep

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 20, 2006
2:23 AM

Post #2929181

Nice shot Joey! I love ominous clouds as long as they aren't dangerous!

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

November 20, 2006
3:04 AM

Post #2929288

Sally, I'll try to get somemore tommorrow...Snow! but only about an inch.
That pic was taken the day After the storm. :-) This one, too.

Thumbnail by music2keep

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 20, 2006
3:07 AM

Post #2929292

Neat! I'm sort of getting ready for that first snow. There are times we get dry little flurries, but no real snow till after X-mas. That's sort of a bummer. ''Snow colored'' days make me want to bake sugar cookies. The light just has that feel to it.

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

November 20, 2006
3:13 AM

Post #2929320

Well, you start baking & I'll take some pix tomorrow...but I have to go to bed for now. Gotta go to the Trout Lodge tomorrow & feed those babies!

Sleep well...Stay warm!

Joey
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

November 20, 2006
8:39 AM

Post #2930033

Good morning everyone!

Thanks Sally :-)

It's 26F, pretty calm and dark at the moment. I love how the snow brightens things up. Sunrise will be at 10:12 and sunset at 4:14, so we need a bit of brightening up :-) Just got back from driving my 8 year old to school and it was a bumpy ride :-) It always takes a few days for the snow to be cleared in the residential streets ... until then we'll be "sailing" through the snow :-)

Hope you all have a nice day!
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 20, 2006
9:29 AM

Post #2930057

Good Morning! Lots to catch up on. Look at all that snow! Great pics...love the clouds, fish, farms and flowers!
Rann - your daughters are precious - too much snow!
Sally - I don't know what a snow colored day would make me want to cook!! Maybe some brownies?! If I make sugar cookies, it usually ends up being fruit pizza!
Out high today is 59.
Clear
Temp: 52F
Humidity: 83%
Wind Speed: calm
Barometer: 30.02 in.
Dewpoint: 47F
Heat Index: 52F
Wind Chill: 52F
Sunrise: 6:55 AM EST
Sunset: 5:26 PM EST

Thumbnail by MySharona

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

November 20, 2006
10:11 AM

Post #2930089

Good Morning Every Body! It's 39*, Dark, & No Snow. But that doesn't mean much. It was snowing & sticking in Bluefield all evening yesterday, & it might be snowing on the mountain where the babies are, altho the hatchery is right at the base of the mountain, so we'll see...
Sharon, 'Love that sky pic! :-D

Another shot of los ninos casa...(trying to learn some Espanol)

Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 20, 2006
10:54 AM

Post #2930135

Well, I don't know where the 52 came from but my thermometer is reading 40! Brrrrrrrrr!!!
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

November 20, 2006
12:25 PM

Post #2930310

Wow, Sharon that is a bit chilly! lol Yes, there is such a thing as too much snow ... 12" in one night is a bit over the top. Fortunately there isn't more snow in the forecast for the moment, looks like it'll be clear skies and cold for the next few days. As long as the winds are calm like they are now it's very nice! I much prefer snow to the slush we get most of the time - that and the wind are what I really hate!

Joey - love your photos of the hatchery - looks like a really lovely place to go to work :-) Keep us posted on the snow!

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 20, 2006
1:15 PM

Post #2930439

good morning all!

Today has dawned bright and clear...temp is around 30 at the moment and heading for a big high of 40, so I'll be wearing layers today, and one will be a little moth-eaten cashmere sweater I picked up in a thrift store for a dollar. It's not good for anything but a warm layer because of the moth holes, but I wear it under another sweater and it's soooo warm.

We had our Thanksgiving meal at Mom's yesterday and have 2 more to go to this week. It's supposed to warm up by the end of the week...but I think it's supposed to rain. Typical west KY weather pattern...cold and dry, or warm and wet.

If ya'll get a chance, head over to the Welcome Mat and welcome my friend Sharran to DG. http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/671932/

Sharran taught me art in high school and we've had a couple of projects this summer that have been so much fun. She's a sweet, creative person and today's her birthday!
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 20, 2006
1:35 PM

Post #2930519

Hey, there's a freeze warning on the weather page! I haven't seen one of those for a long time! LOL It won't freeze here in town, but it will be down in the upper 30's tonight, which will be our coldest temperatures so far this year. It'll be in the 20's farther north and west of here. Brrrr... (Boy, am I spoiled or what?? LOL)

Fair 48F (9C)
Humidity: 56 %
Wind Speed: N 9 MPH
Barometer: 30.46" (1031.9 mb)
Dewpoint: 33F (1C)
Wind Chill: 44F (7C)
kiska

(Zone 3b)

November 20, 2006
4:10 PM

Post #2931048

WOW - what a busy group this past week - meanwhile, I was on the beach in Cancun, sipping cool drinks and wondering how people live in hot weather places...The vacation was just wonderful, everything it should be, and it was beautiful there. The people were so friendly and the resort we stayed at treated the guests as royalty...very nice, but very hot - in the 80's with unbelievable humidity...8 hour flight down, 11 hour flight back.. had to wait for de-icing leaving Anchorage, not in Cancun!!
While we were gone, there have been extremely high winds in the Valley, damages to roofs and trees..windchills to way below zero.
8am- it's still very windy, with the temperature this morning at 10 degrees, going up to 19...sunrise is 9:19am, sets at 4:04pm. loss of 4m 46seconds.
I'll take this cool weather any day over the heat...strange what we get used to. It's not been above 32 since late October, and that's a good thing...
So many beautiful photos; darling grandkids and kids; I've quickly scrolled through to get an idea of what's happened..
gotta start Thanksgiving shopping today...
Welcome, littlepath..
Hope Darius is doing better.
kiska
alaska
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 20, 2006
4:38 PM

Post #2931128

Welcome back Kiska! Glad you had a good time!! Post some pics when you get a chance!
Sharon

Just took this of Prissy enjoying some sun! It's 53 now...

Thumbnail by MySharona

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 20, 2006
7:10 PM

Post #2931509

Twice my computer has froze up and I lost all my comments. I give up!

I said nice things about everyone!!!

I photographed an Angel Sunday morning. She can be seen two ways. Wings behind her and feet out as if skiing, or hands out front and eagle wings.

Thumbnail by billyporter

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

November 20, 2006
7:21 PM

Post #2931542

That's a nice photo Sally! It's so frustrating when that happens when writing a reply.

Kiska, welcome back! We missed you :-) Glad you had a wonderful time! I know exactly what you mean I wonder the same thing when we go on vacation to warm-weather places ... I don't know how people can get anything done. Looking forward to seeing photos.

All this talk of Thanksgiving has me wanting a turkey :-) My mom has a turkey dinner for the family in remembrance of our FL days, but not necessarily on Thanksgiving weekend. Usually the first weekend in Dec. I'm starting to look forward to it :-)

Sharon - Prissy is so funny, she sure knows how to relax in the sun :-) lol

Marylin and Melody - stay warm! After a week of freezing temps I can say that you get used to it after a while :-)
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 20, 2006
7:59 PM

Post #2931645

Bright, 48.2(F), 46%, Calm.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 20, 2006
8:07 PM

Post #2931678

I forgot my weather.

47*, a cool sun, but warmer than it has been, and a bit of a breeze.

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

November 20, 2006
11:05 PM

Post #2932205

Good Evening! All! It's a chilly 39* & dark...;-)
Well, the snow was all on top of the mountain & not down at the hatchery, but it sure was cold! I thought once of running to stay warm, but thought ...maybe not ~ just walk fast!LOL It seems like a Long walk when it's cold. But not quite as cold as Kiska & Rannveig. But, too, it didn't help with me playing in the ice while de-boning more fillets! They gave me 6 to bring home. :-D
Marylyn, stay warm! & enjoy the thrill of it all!
Sharon, Prissy looks comfy! Jack doesn't like the sun much. Being black he gets hot very fast! so he seeks the shade!
Kiska! Welcome home! It was probably a big temp shock for you, huh? Well, I don't know about any body else, but I Missed Ya!
Sally, That is definitely an angel in flight! Soooo Neat!
Rannveig, I cannot hardly wait for the turkey, either. I love the stuff & could probably eat it year round!
I'll get some pix ready for you guys here in a little bit!

Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

November 20, 2006
11:11 PM

Post #2932223

That is a great photo Joey!
Sally I forgot to mention earlier - I loved your angel photo - really neat :-)

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 20, 2006
11:12 PM

Post #2932230

Thanks! I'm suprised the Angel turned out so well. I felt like Hyacinth Bucket everytime I ''yelled'' at DH to, ''Stop the Car!"

Kiska, I do want to re-welcome you home. The other reply is in cyberspace.

I love that picture Joey! When can I move in? :))
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 20, 2006
11:16 PM

Post #2932238

Currently 39 degrees, wind chill 35. Same all day, cloudy, damp. Dark.

MySharona - 'widow makers' - are the heavy dry branches in the woods that blow down during windy weather. They seem to hang, caught in a branch, only to let go and fall on our guys when they are out hunting or cutting wood. Yes, they are scary.
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

November 20, 2006
11:27 PM

Post #2932257

seeds - don't like the sound of those widow makers at all ... I guess there's an up-side to having no forests around ... can't get lost in them or hit by a branch.

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

November 20, 2006
11:30 PM

Post #2932265

Se_eds, I have some of those! I'd like to know how to get them out of the trees..they are so far up!
And We're up for visiters Any Time! :-D Or oyu could just move right in!
Here's the "dusting" on the top of Peters Mountain...

Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

November 21, 2006
12:19 AM

Post #2932391

That angel cloud is really neat and I've been enjoying all of the pictures.

Here, more of the same.

Updated: 4:51 PM PST on November 20, 2006
79 F / 26 C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 16%
Dew Point: 29 F / -2 C

We took MIL to the Reagan Library today. Here's a view from up there. Would you say that we need some rain?

Thumbnail by Kelli

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 21, 2006
1:05 AM

Post #2932505

Thanks!

I do believe you do!
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 21, 2006
1:21 AM

Post #2932539

Sally, the angel cloud was amazing!! Thanks for making "Richard" stop the car. (You didn't tell him to mind the pedestrians 50 feet away, too, did you?) LOL
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

November 21, 2006
1:23 AM

Post #2932548

Joey...that photo of the horses is great.

Kelli...It really looks parched there. I wish I could send you some of our rain. We had well over 10 inches here in Oct. and Nov. has been more of the same.

rannveig...As always, I'm enjoying the Iceland photos.

It's clear and cold here tonight. The temps around 35 here now and dropping. The forecast is plenty of sunshine and moderate temps for the rest of the week. It will be a nice change.

It's hard to believe it's almost December. Spring is right around the corner! Bring on the daffodils!!!

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 21, 2006
10:05 AM

Post #2933108

Sally - I Love the angels wings! Beautiful photo!
Joey love the log cabin. My DH wants one. Your Peters Mountain is beautiful.
Se_eds Widow-makers never heard the phrase - got it. We have those in our live oaks. Gotta be careful those large thick limbs will bring your house down in a storm.
Kelli me thinks you need some rain Ill do a rain dance for you.
Eb Daffodils are so pretty and happy!
Sidney - since you're more inland - tonight may get frosty for you. They're calling for lows in the upper 30's inland with wind chills in the 20's. I'm glad we're closer to the water...
Prissy loves to lay in the sun. She gets hot in the summer we have to watch her and carry water all the time. But now, shes so small and the wind just cuts through her. She shivers just thinking about going potty first thing in the morning! You can just see her little mind going Nooooo, Ill hold it!!!
Im so ready for Thanksgiving this year! Turkey mmmmm, cranberry sauce.pecan pie!!
Here's the forecast:
Today...Mostly cloudy with a 40 percent chance of showers. Windy. (Canada - that's where this is coming from - Thank You - I get to pull out the winter gear!!) North winds 20 to 25 mph with gusts to 35 mph.
Partly Cloudy
Temp: 45F
Humidity: 68%
Wind Speed: N 9 MPH
Barometer: 30.04 in.
Dewpoint: 38F
Heat Index: 45F
Wind Chill: 40F
Sunrise: 6:56 AM EST
Have a great day everyone! We've had some of the prettiest sunsets lately - all pinks and blues...

Thumbnail by MySharona

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

November 21, 2006
10:28 AM

Post #2933128

Good Morning! Well, we've got frost! It's 30* and dark...The mink oil on my boots has worn off & must go replennish! I'm not fond of my feet getting wet, especially when it's so chilly out!
Kelli, I will do my rain dance for you! & hope that We don't get it instead! Ooooo, so dry! :-(
Early_Blommer! I wish I had enough sunny areas for dafs like that! I have a few & will need to move them in the spring to the one sunny spot that I have.
Sharon, Another great shot! Stay warm!

Well, gotta go mink oil my boots ~Have a Great Day! Every body!

Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

November 21, 2006
11:19 AM

Post #2933192

Good morning!

Joey - nice photos of Peter's Mt.! Is it wooded all the way up??!! Looks funny with the dusting of snow - not something you would see here for sure. lol

Kelli - pretty view, but yes it looks very dry! When was the last time it rained there??

EB - I wish spring was just around the corner ... we have another 4-5 months to go before we'll be seeing any daffodils. They are so pretty - nice photo.

Sharon - pecan pie sounds sooooo good - it's my favorite kind of pie. I might have to make some for mom's Turkey dinner :-) It's getting quite chilly where you are, no wonder Miss Prissy doesn't want to go outside!

Now for the weather: The snow's still here for now, it's 29F, fairly clear skies and a light wind. Not bad at all! I heard something on the radio about it warming up tonight or tomorrow - which would mean that all this snow might be turning to slush. yuk, I hope not.

Have a nice day all :-)

rannveig
patischell
Fort Pierce, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 21, 2006
1:07 PM

Post #2933383

Too cccold to type!! 41, windchill 35, wind NNW 25MPH

Nuff said, but it's bright!
Pati

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 21, 2006
1:30 PM

Post #2933465

Morning all!

I'm really enjoying the photos everyone is posting.

Clear and cold last night...low was 20 and a heavy frost greeted us this morning...going for a high around 50 today...the sun is out, so we may even get a little warmer. Tomorrow should be about 55...nephew is off from school tomorrow and he's coming out to mow the yard one last time. It's not that tall, but it's scraggeldy...and it tends to grow at a slow rate all winter. This will make the first spring mowing much easier.

I guess I need to take stock of Christmas decorations and see what's needed...I've wanted a new tree for the past couple of years, but can't find one to suit me..(I'm allergic to real trees indoors...so gotta have an artificial) I might make that my mission this weekend.

Darius...I'm missing you...hope you get back to us soon and are feeling better.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 21, 2006
2:44 PM

Post #2933716

Well it was 22º here in Ohio this morning. I just checked the Historic Springfield station in Jacksonville and so far it's only been down to 39.9º there this month. I'll have the boys cover my island of coleus color with sheets tonight. After that they are headed back up to 70s.
Here it's
39.7 F / 4.3 C
Clear
Humidity: 50%
Dew Point: 23 F / -5 C
Wind: 3.1 mph / 5.0 km/h from the SW
Wind Gust: 6.3 mph / 10.1 km/h
Going all the way up to 46.
Gonna stay here in Toledo and sew over Turkey day.
Go to a Buffet for lunch.
Sidney

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

November 21, 2006
3:57 PM

Post #2933916

Rann, the last time it rained here a measurable amount was in May. It is perfectly normal to go all summer without rain, but normally there is a little bit of rain in October and November.

Today is not supposed to be as hot as yesterday and later in the week, the temperatures might get back to "normal". No rain in the forecast, though.

Thumbnail by Kelli

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

November 21, 2006
4:27 PM

Post #2933974

Wow that is a long dry period - if it doesn't rain here for 3 weeks it's concidered a draught!! Sure hope you'll get some rain soon.
kiska

(Zone 3b)

November 21, 2006
4:41 PM

Post #2934017

8:30am - minus 6 degrees, dark, no wind, high of 14...
The way it was many years ago..
The lakes are being used now for ice-fishing and skating;
Sunrise: 9:23am - Set: 4:07pm.
Shopping yesterday for Thanksgiving dinner was ok till I had to take the groceries out to the car. The winds were howling and holding on to the cart with one hand, while trying to unload it, was horrible. Then, with it well below zero, my eyes began to water from the cold and my thin gloves did nothing to stop the cold. At that point, I wondered if maybe Cancun wouldn't be a better place to be! But, it's great to be home and thanks for the welcome back.
Kelli- I saw first hand as we flew up, from LA, over Calif, just how dry it was...and for so far up the state. That's a nice shot of the Reagan Library area.
Sally, the Angel Cloud is so nice - wonderful to be in the right place at the right time.
Joey, this is such an educational site-I'd just never thought of snow in WV; nice cabin, too.
E_B; what a colorful sight with all those daffodils - refreshing to see.
rann - hope you can keep the snow and not have it turn to slush.
The winds of the past week have scoured any loose snow from Palmer and left icy patches all over. We still have snow cover, but it's off the trees..we don't get the wind like Palmer, 3 miles away. The ground is frozen tight so it's deceiving to look out and see bare ground in town.
Cabin is just for fun, the neighbors own it.
kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 21, 2006
4:44 PM

Post #2934028

Rann - I eat the pecans off the top of the pie! I give the pie part to my son!
Pati - a bit cccchhhillly huh?!!!
Melody - I'll be checkingout the X-mas stuff too this weekend. We always pick a live tree the weekend after Thanksgiving.
Well, it's 49 and overcast (what my DH calls It's just Slap Nasty out there)!! - looks and feels like winter to me!!!!! Our coastal winds are going to be around 20-40mph tonight combined with a low of 39...brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr - man we're on the coast!!!!!!!!
kiska

(Zone 3b)

November 21, 2006
4:49 PM

Post #2934043

Sharon - what a descriptive term "Slap Nasty" is - can we borrow it? sure would apply!!!
Keep warm and out of the winds..
kiska

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 21, 2006
8:11 PM

Post #2934481

Marylyn, ROTFL!!! It came up earlier!! Mind the pedestrian!

Early, those Daffodils look so nice. I love those with the orange center.

Thanks Sharon, Poor Prissy! I did that myself till I decided we needed a soft toilet seat back on. I forgot how icy the regular ones are :(( I love the pink and blue sunsets.

Love that cloudy sky Joey!

Rannveig, I was counting and came up with 6 months before I call it Spring! (May.) Hope you don't turn to slush. I hate it too!

Kelli, I love your picture. I would wither if it didn't rain at least once a month. I love rain, thunder and lightning!

Kiska! 6 below is too cold for me right now! I caught the Angel on a Sunday too! I'm getting better about grabbing the camera and shooting. If it doesn't turn out, delete! I love digital!! That's a neat little cabin.

Sharon, I like your husbands phrase. I just say ''it's nasty out there!'' Funny to see someone else say it.

It's 54* and breezy. The mail lady was just here so I'll have to run out and see what we got. Friday is our worst day. It's usually one advertisement. But you have to go see! All right! Pine Tree Garden Seeds and Millers Nursery! The mail's all for me for the next few months!!

This was taken at the Peat Bog south of Nichols. They have been digging and selling it for years.

Thumbnail by billyporter

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 21, 2006
8:15 PM

Post #2934490

46.8(F), 42%, dark'ning fast, I'll have to leave the water trickling tonight as I haven't had a chance to properly insulate the most recent plumbing changes - guess I'll try and get that done next weekend. Like it's always sumpthin' ya know?

As the sun goes down - Night All!

ooops - I can't retire for the evening yet The chat is tonight, what was I thinking?

This message was edited Nov 21, 2006 4:58 PM
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

November 21, 2006
9:12 PM

Post #2934607

Kiska - I was complaining last week of temps around 14 with some awful winds too boot and said you'd probably laugh at my whining since you're used to much colder temps :-) Seems a bit wimpy with your sub-zero temps and howling winds :-) lol

Them temps reached a high of around 34F today, so the snow is already getting wet and starting to melt. The forecast is for sleet or rain tomorrow :-( Oh, well it was nice while it lasted. Temps around 32F feel pretty nice and warm after the horribly cold, Alaska like temps we've had for the past week. I don't know how you can endure it for so long Kiska - but then again you don't get slush - so that's good :-)

Sally - yeah I was being an optimist :-) In a good year the crocus start blooming in late March or early April so that's almost spring despite the cold spells in between ;-)

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 21, 2006
9:21 PM

Post #2934619

Rannveig, that's when our crocus and daffodils come up too, but for Sally to bloom, it has to be warmer! :))

I'm sitting here with a small portable heater running. It got too nice for the furnaces to run. I've been drinking hot tea all afternoon.
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

November 21, 2006
9:27 PM

Post #2934636

LOL - Sally, it probably wouldn't get warm enough at all for you here I'm guessing :-) Sounds like you're warm and cozy though :-)
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

November 21, 2006
9:50 PM

Post #2934716

Joey...I found those daffodils growing wild along a dirt road that doesn't even have a house on it. Around here the daffodils usually bloom before the leaves are on the trees so they do fine in either shade or sun.

BP...The ones with the orange centers are called "Tahiti" daffodils.

rannveig...I might have exagerated a tiny bit. Spring won't arrive here until late March--early April.

kiska...How much daylight are you getting there now? Any Northern Lights?

early_bloomer
kiska

(Zone 3b)

November 21, 2006
10:04 PM

Post #2934763

rann - not a bit wimpy :) cold is cold and mix in the winds, time to complain...
It's now 6 degrees above zero, sunny/nearly 2pm.
If it's not windy down at the river, I hope to stop to take a snapshot as go to town...don't think it's going to get up to 14 today...but, hey, it's so much colder in Fairbanks or the North Slope, we've got it good here in the Valley..
Enjoy your tea, Sally, I'll have coffee when I get back from town...
We're at 6 hours - 40 minutes/day - I still haven't managed to get up at the right time to see the Northern Lights recently..last night I got up at 4am and it was stunningly beautiful out...the stars were brilliant and the snow squeeked as I walked.
older grandson's hockey team
kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

November 21, 2006
10:32 PM

Post #2934833

Good Evening Ya'll! It's actually a warm 42* & so Dark! Was very chilly at the hatchery (26*) this morning...water had frozen on the old hip waders while harvesting about 200 lbs. Glad That didn't last too long! And I'm finished with my practicum for this semester. I will have 2 practicums next semester ~ Spawning!! I guess I'll be learning how to milk fish! Now that will be hard! heavy, Work!

Early_Bloomer, My daffodils are in the pines (in the yard) & don't get hardly any sun...Digging & moving; it's actually a learning process for me. But I love it none the less! Mine bloom about 3-4 weeks after every one else's.

Sally, have they found any "pete" bodies? LOL (just being silly)

Sharon, "slap nasty" may be the words I use to describe ice...but I know I would sy it if I lived where you did & had those condtions!
Sharon ~ you & Pati Stay Warm!!!

Nice "play" cabin, Kiska...It has a cozy look to it! And we get lots of snow...many ski areas here...Snow Shoe, Canaan Valley, & others.

Rannveig, Peters Mtn. is all wooded & most of it is in the Jefferson National Forest. It also has the Appalachian Trail going on some of it...This spring I'll go up to the fire tower & get some good shots for you. You can see 5 counties in Va. & 4 counties in WV.

Well, gotta clean up supper mess...Have a good one!

Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

November 21, 2006
10:35 PM

Post #2934841

Just want to put in my "brrrrr!!". We had thunder-snow today. So weird! I wish I'd had my camera with me. We've collected nearly 3" of very cold rain today, mixed with sleet. Blustery. NOT normal! General conversation round my office today: "The cold wouldn't be so bad if not for the icy rain." Alternating with: "The rain wouldn't be so bad without the cold wind." ..and so on. Currently at 6:30pm in the sunny south, 38 degrees, 100% humidity, low clouds.

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

November 21, 2006
10:38 PM

Post #2934851

Actor Nick Stahl takes a break during shooting of Ferris Wheel on Marigold Crescent Monday. Stahl, who has appeared in Terminator 3 and Sin City, is joined in the cast by Oscar nominees Dennis Hopper and Woody Harrelson and Oscar winner Charlize Theron, who is also one of the films producers. The shoot continues in Moose Jaw this week.

Temperature currently:
46 F / 8 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 57%
Dew Point: 32 F / 0 C
Wind: 12 mph / 18 km/h from the South
Pressure: 29.77 in / 1008 hPa
Windchill: 41 F / 5 C

The California peeps are just a *wee* bit chilly (locals are wearing spring coats/suit jackets and the teens just t-shirts ;)

Thumbnail by Lilypon

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

November 21, 2006
10:46 PM

Post #2934888

Lilypon, have you done your debut yet? :-D He actually looks Cold! (out of his realm) :-))

Joey
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 21, 2006
10:51 PM

Post #2934907

The sun came out and shined today!! Sure makes you feel good. Currently 36 degrees, dark and clear. Prob frosty tonight. Supposed to be nice again tomorrow. Love each day of it.
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 21, 2006
11:00 PM

Post #2934940

Whoever wants to use Slap Nasty is welcome to do so!! And it still is! We have had mist, rain and drizzle since lunch. My thermometer reads 40 our low is 39!! Its so cold outside whine whine whine!!
Driving home tonight...reminds me of Joey's ominous pic!...

This message was edited Nov 21, 2006 7:02 PM

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 21, 2006
11:05 PM

Post #2934956

Lily - Came I come by for a look see?!! He's a cutie! No sun for us today. Are you going to be an extra in the movie? That's so cool!

Thumbnail by MySharona

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

November 21, 2006
11:26 PM

Post #2935023

It's up to 38 here at half past midnight and light rain drizzles on and off ... it's almost a heatwave :-) lol Hey Sharon - it's almost as cold down there in FL as it is here now :-) Stay warm!

Great photos everyone - too tired to comment - off to bed.
Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL
(Zone 5b)

November 21, 2006
11:43 PM

Post #2935067

Rannveig, you must be getting some of the heatwave we had last week. For 5 days in a row we topped 60 F, hitting 70 F yesterday! Yesterday and the day before broke old high temp records for St. John's, Newfoundland. All Florida's heat has headed north! Meanwhile, today it dropped back to seasonal at 45 F. Overall, this has been one of the warmest Novembers on record for Newfoundland.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 21, 2006

Post #2935087

Early, they sure dress up a yellow daffodil

Joey, no! They haven't. LOL! That would be creepy!

Deb, I'm cracking up!!! Here, we say, ''it's not the heat, it's the humidity!'' I'm howling with laughter now!

Lilypon, that is so cool! Love the photo!

Sharon, I wish that sky would move NW. Nice!

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

November 22, 2006
1:09 AM

Post #2935322

Nope no debut here unless I get caught walking home. One of the shoots will be filmed 2 blocks down from my house (they'll be using DS's old high school/auditorium instead of the one here at the library). I kinda figured they would since they have a lovely large stage there (I suggested it to the location scout).

Sure you're all welcome...just don't forget your winter coats! ;)

This message was edited Nov 21, 2006 8:14 PM

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 22, 2006
1:15 AM

Post #2935338

So close! Are they sure they don't need any extras? I'll bet a lot of people will be ''walking home.''

They shot a film of William Shatner playing a joke on Riverside, Iowa a few years ago, and we just ''happened'' to drive around town in a Red 1963 Ford Galaxie 500. Didn't see it in the movie. :))

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

November 22, 2006
1:22 AM

Post #2935359

LOLOL I'm sure many will ;)...we were in the local pub when Peacock's team (DS's High School) won the provincial football championship. A.E. Peacock's
male teachers were there (& weren't feeling any pain) and the coach was begging the principal, on hands and knees, to introduce him to Charlize when she shows up at the school. ;)

This message was edited Nov 21, 2006 9:40 PM

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 22, 2006
1:36 AM

Post #2935413

ROTFL!!!

Hey, she's gorgeous!

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

November 22, 2006
2:32 AM

Post #2935611

Hollywood is most definitely here...just went to our fav pub again tonight (I have tomorrow off) and the doors were locked (but peeps were inside and most of the blinds were pulled). All new expensive vehicles outside (including a hummer). Now I'm as excited as the next person BUT!!!!! :b
kiska

(Zone 3b)

November 22, 2006
2:44 AM

Post #2935635

It's minus 1 degree - dark/clear with lows around minus 6 degrees
checking the weather records, this is a bit cooler than normal, which is in the 20's. The record high was 51 degrees in 1949. The record low was minus 17 in 1993.
Todd_Boland : is 70 a normal summer temp?, much less winter - bet it seemed very hot.
Sharon: my granddaughter, 5, loved seeing the storm cloud photo - me too.
joey - do you mean this was your last day there till next semester? If so, sounds as if you finished just in time. "Playing" in freezing water can't be pleasant...It's very interesting to me to learn about snow there...didn't realize just how much I don't know about other's winter weather.
Lilypon - they're everywhere! how exciting - - -
Around town today.
kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

kiska

(Zone 3b)

November 22, 2006
2:48 AM

Post #2935641

One more this afternoon; Pioneer Peak w/frozen Matanuska River.
kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

November 22, 2006
3:14 AM

Post #2935683

The actors are not too hard to find here (even when you don't want too ;) The pub didn't surprise me because it's small, newly renovated, but has character because it's one hundred years old (it has the old embossed copper (coloured?) metal ceiling and wood floors). My Great-Grandfather built it (it was called the Maple Leaf then) and sold it a year later: http://p.vtourist.com/1/501318-Brewsters_One_of_my_favorite-Moose_Jaw.jpg (small picture ;)

This message was edited Nov 21, 2006 10:27 PM

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

November 22, 2006
3:18 AM

Post #2935688

link didn't work

Thumbnail by Lilypon

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 22, 2006
9:11 AM

Post #2936015

40.3(F), 92%, Wet, been raining, (I know this only because I just went out & started the car to warm for the DW), extremely dark.
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

November 22, 2006
9:11 AM

Post #2936016

Todd - wow wouldn't mind a heatwave like that - even in summer that would be a heatwave!

We're not likely to reach higher temps than 40 maybe ... it's 36 at the moment some wind and overcast. The snow's wet and melting, hope we'll get to keep some of it though!

Lilypon - Nice to hear from you again - I'd been wondering where you were! That is so exciting! Keep us posted :-) Love the pub photo.

Kiska - great photos! Does the entire river freeze over ??!

Good morning Dyson! We cross posted.

This message was edited Nov 22, 2006 10:12 AM
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 22, 2006
9:58 AM

Post #2936035

Ooooh I hate it when my message vaporizes into wherever!!!!
Sally as ominous as those clouds looked there wasnt any thunder or lightening, just rain and mizzle..
Lily Im keeping my winter coat close! The shoot is probably a huge distraction for you. When they filmed one of John Travoltas movies (hasnt come out yet) here around a year ago, it really messed up our traffic, shut down the downtown areas, closed restaurants and bars, etcI did get to meet John Travolta (WOW) and his double though!
I heard the wind howling some last night dont see any sign of freezing. I was a little concerned with the wind chill factor! Pulled in the more delicate of plants just in case. Very cold out though - icy - chills you to the bones.
Light Rain
Temp: 41F
Humidity: 81%
Barometer: 30.03 in.
Dewpoint: 36F
Heat Index: 41F
Wind Chill: 36F
Sunrise: 6:57 AM EST
Brrrrrrrrrrrrr - supposed to reach 55 today...a little lopsided! But rain at lunch yesterday...

Thumbnail by MySharona

Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL
(Zone 5b)

November 22, 2006
10:12 AM

Post #2936042

Its all relative...41 F is a pleasant November day here. We don't find that particularly chilly, so we Rannveig?

Kiska, 70 F would be a pleasant day in summer but our average summer temp is around 75-80 F in the day. Needless to say, we were in shorts last Friday and Saturday! Shorts in November...that's a first for me!

This morning is sunny but the temp dropped to 30 F last night...first frost in the last 2 weeks. Calendulas and Snapdragons still flowering nicely locally.
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 22, 2006
11:03 AM

Post #2936066

The last couple of years we've been in the 80's for Thanksgiving. 64 will be a welcome treat for me. My snapdragons and zinnias are still blooming as well!
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

November 22, 2006
12:26 PM

Post #2936180

Todd - 41F would be very nice in November, provided there wouldn't be much wind to go with it! With windchills it could be rather chilly! Especially after temps in the 70's and 80's - yikes! Still, it seems that your climate is pretty close to my ideal ... you get decent summer temps. without getting too cold in the winter. 70's in summer would be nice I think ... or maybe we'd just be complaining about the heat and wishing it would cool down already - who knows.

We're up to 37F now, it won't be reaching 40F today. There is a light wind from the east of 22 mph, gusting to 31 mph ...quite chilly actually. lol Not raining yet. Apparantly there are large depressions south of us bringing warm air (could be from New Foundland!) unfortunately they won't make it up here - just brush the south coast with these "warm" 30's temps today and tomorrow, then it's supposed to freeze again.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 22, 2006
12:59 PM

Post #2936256

Good morning all! I love seeing how winter creeps up on everyone...quite interesting.

We had a low of 28 last night...heading for a high of 60 today...tomorrow will be even warmer. Typical west KY weather pattern...when it's clear at night...it gets cold...when it's clear during the day...it's warm. Glorious late fall days for the next few. Most of the leaves have fallen, just a few oaks stubbornly hanging on to theirs...grass is still green despite the heavy frosts, but the cold temps never last long enough to really turn it brown till mid Jan.

For those of you in the US...have safe travels and a happy Thanksgiving tomorrow...don't know if I'll be back till Friday...got tons of stuff to do and places to go.

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

November 22, 2006
2:02 PM

Post #2936392

Good Morning! All! It's 49* & overcast...It did some sleeting last night, but didn't amount to anything, luckily. There's lots of folks traveling this week end. Not Me! Everybody is coming to see me! on Friday! So I've got lots of baking to do...With a migraine...ughhh. (The reason for the late start). Actually it's easing up or I couldn't sit in front of the "puter".

Sharon, that sky did look most ominous! Hope you warm up today.

Kiska, yes it was my last...I had to stuff those 80 hours in quick in order to finish before the semester ended, & I didn't want it to run into "study time" for finals. Next semester I won't rely on my professor to set up the time for me to do my practicums...he's most definitely a procrastinator! I prefer to jump right in in order to get things done! :-)) ~ I do love to look at your pix of the river with mountains behind them...:-D

Well, gotta get to the kitchen to make all the goodies...2 apple pies & 2 butternut squash pies (yummmm)

Have a Great day All!
Peace be With You
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

November 22, 2006
3:02 PM

Post #2936565

It's been pretty busy at work lately...both students and adults are using the library more now (last night I was kept really busy, unusual for a Tuesday night). Reference dept have had staffing problems too...I had gallbladder surgery in the spring, then shortly after I came back a reference co-worker had a display cabinet fall on her (she broke her foot and was off work for months) then, after she returned, another co-worker had a polyp in her stomach ulcerate. I've been working 6 days a week for awhile now.

I'm loving everyone's pictures (I meant to comment on the most recent ones last night but I hardly had time to pop in here until near closing). Joey your forest pic is lovely...something I rarely see. ;)

The California peeps will have their winter coats zipped up today:
30 F / -1 C
Overcast
Humidity: 75%
Dew Point: 23 F / -5 C
Wind: 25 mph / 41 km/h from the WNW
Wind Gust: 40 mph / 65 km/h

Today
A mix of sun and cloud. 30 percent chance of flurries this afternoon. Wind southwest 20 km/h becoming west 40 gusting to 60 early this morning then becoming light this afternoon. High 6C with temperature falling to minus 6C (21.2 F) this afternoon.

MySharona you are right on. It's wonderful to see them here but they can be a bother at times (we've had 12 movies filmed here in the past couple of years...3 were shot in different areas of the library http://www.parklandpublishing.com/skphotos/moose_jaw/slides/12-Q1-SK%20Public%20Library.html (2 were small budget ones) and another one was filmed a block behind ours (the food trucks, semi's etc were parked alongside our house for the duration).

This message was edited Nov 22, 2006 11:19 PM
patischell
Fort Pierce, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 22, 2006
3:21 PM

Post #2936602

Lilypon, I couldn't resist looking at all the pictures...the murals are OUTSTANDING!!!
Pati

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

November 22, 2006
3:33 PM

Post #2936650

LOL Hey Pati!!! I didn't even realize they were included with the library's pic . They certainly tell the story of our city (there are about 20 others but those shown are among my favs). The other hotel that GG built (and sold long, long ago) is also included: http://www.parklandpublishing.com/skphotos/moose_jaw/slides/02%20Brunswick%20Hotel.html

I should really take some pictures of the older buildings that surround the library park.
kiska

(Zone 3b)

November 22, 2006
4:02 PM

Post #2936715

7:30am, clear, dark and cold.
It's minus 3F with high of 10 degrees in the forecast. Sunrise will be 9:24am - Set at 4 pm with a loss of 4m37seconds.
rann, the river will freeze over in many places, leaving open water here and there. Most people don't cross it, here near the bridge, on snowmachine, but we do see the occassional tracks across the ice of some risk-taker.
Dyson - how very nice to start the car in the rain for DW...on my Christmas, or birthday list, is a remote starter for my car...
Joey - I'm with you - get things done and out of the way as quickly as possible. Love your forest - inviting place to take a walk.
Sharon - that's a nice rainy windshield shot - 41 to 55; is that a good thing?
Melody - What a wide range of temps you have there; dressing in layers is probably the most effective way?
Wearing in shorts in November would make you wonder what month it is - hope your weather returns to a more normal pattern, todd.
I wish you all a very pleasant Thanksgiving...
kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 22, 2006
5:02 PM

Post #2936873

40.8(F), 81%, someone please figure out where all this water is coming from and turn off the spigot, or plug the leak or whatever.
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

November 22, 2006
10:02 PM

Post #2937613

I'm with Dyson! Enough water already! We've got nearly 5 inches of rain since this weird weather system blew in off the ocean. Last night, a really loud thunderstorm. No Thundersnow this time - just lighting and rain. Started at 2 in the morning and my dog went insane (temporarily) and nearly broke my nose as she jumped over me to get down under the bed!!
"Slap nasty" today still. Only in the 40s and drizzle, drizzle, drizzle. However, they're saying upper 60's and only a few clouds for turkey day. And that will actually be something normal - finally. :) I'll be raking.
Joey-I love your photo of the woods. Has a real peaceful feel.
Currently: 48 and overcast and 83% humidity. (Billyporter, It's not the cold, it's the humidity! ;-> )
Deb
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

November 22, 2006
10:05 PM

Post #2937618

Finally, average temperatures for this time of year. (Any unwanted rain can be sent in this direction.)

Updated: 2:51 PM PST on November 22, 2006
70 F / 21 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 39%
Dew Point: 44 F / 7 C
Wind: 6 mph / 9 km/h from the SSE

Thumbnail by Kelli

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 22, 2006
10:47 PM

Post #2937694

This weather wouldn't be so bad if we hadn't had the high winds with the rain. The wind is what makes it so hard to bear!
Lily love the web-site and the murals! Very cool idea.
Kiska your mountain pics are beautiful. The temps were having are unusual. For the last 5-6 years weve been around 50-60 at night and 70-high 80s days. Im cold, but enjoying the change, so nice to have a coolish Thanksgiving!
Todd Im with Rann sounds like you have the perfect weather! 70s 80s in the summerperfect!
Joey I hope youre feeling better. Ive never had butternut squash pie sounds good. Have fun tomorrow! Great woods pic, so pretty.
Dyson LOL if only it was that easy!
Low tonight is 39 - no rain in sight, we're at 49 now, winds have died down.
Don't know if I'll be able to check in tomorrow - if not
Everyone - Have a Happy Thanksgiving!!! Peace!

Thumbnail by MySharona

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

November 22, 2006
11:20 PM

Post #2937762

Good Evening Ya'll! I've finished the pies, cleaned up the mess (several times) & had supper (fillets).

Sharon if you want the recipe for butternut squash pie ~ I'll D-mail you...just let me know.
And! if any body else wants it I am willing to share with any & all! :-D

Well, all of you stay warm & dry (except for Kelli ~ wish some of the wet for you!)...and those who celebrate! Don't eat too much Turkey! :-D

Enjoy!

Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 23, 2006
1:34 AM

Post #2938138

I am certainly enjoying the pictures. It was a typical late fall day here in Pa. Dark grey, little wind, didn't get above 40 degrees on my porch. Now that storm from the eastern coast is moving up and it is raining. We have been blessed with a lot of rain this fall. Hunting Season starts in earnest on Monday so a lot of the people are taking off for hunting camp after the Thanksgiving festivities.

It is a time to be careful driving our hills and dales as the hunters chase the deer out onto the roads.
Stay Safe, all. May you all have a peaceful and satisfying Thanksgiving.
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

November 23, 2006
9:59 AM

Post #2938566

Good morning everyone - and Happy Thanksgiving! Those of you who will be enjoying a turkey feast sure are lucky :-)

Lilipon - great photos - love those murals. I'd love to see more photos around Moose Jaw :-)

Joey - great photos - that is a very nice looking turkey :-D

Sharon - you're right those windchills are hard to bear - it's the wind that makes bad weather ... rain or shine it's not so bad if it's calm :-)

The current temp. is 36, it's overcast and there's a slight wind from the east (16 mph, gusting to 22 mph). Sunrise was at 10:22 and sunset will be at 4:06 pm.

Hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving :-)

rannveig
Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL
(Zone 5b)

November 23, 2006
10:54 AM

Post #2938607

Happy Thanksgiving to all the US DG'ers!

It has dawned clear and cold in St. John's, Newfoundland. Its only 28 F this morning...the Calendula and Snaps have finally given in and the rhodies have their leaves curled!
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 23, 2006
11:02 AM

Post #2938612

42.3(F) (steady), 98% (waterlogged again) getting light, need to "get it done" during these few days off, Seems I spend every holiday tackling the projects I am normally to tired to attack.
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

November 23, 2006
11:05 AM

Post #2938615

Todd - do you provide you rhodies with some kind of winter protection? I still haven't put mine up - and my rhodies have had a rough time for the past weeks with high winds and cold temps. It is funny how they curl their leaves - the colder it gets the tighter they curl :-) Don't you celebrate thanksgiving in Canada?

Dyson - you sound like my husband - he works really long hours so there's always somethings that needs to get done when he has some time off. Hope you'll get to enjoy the holidays :-)

rann

This message was edited Nov 23, 2006 12:08 PM

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

November 23, 2006
12:39 PM

Post #2938706

Good Morning Everybody! It's a nice 42* with some white puffy clouds! It's supposed to get up into the 50's! The big nor'easter is moving up the coast... soooo everybody (in it's path) stay safe & warm & dry!...

Deb, & Dyson, hope you guys are drying out, it should be a beautiful, sunny day! :-D (enhances the Thankful feelings!)

Darius, Thinkin' about ya!

Rann & Todd, This is the 1st year I have had Rhodos, thus I didn't know the leaves "curled". I just hope they survive! Jack likes to relieve himself on one of them...ughh! Nothing like a male dog! 1st I had to teach him not to roll on my irises & now...it is getting better, tho.

Lilypon, those murals are really neat! I really like the looks of the library...Neat old buildings. Are they cold in the winter? (they probably have those really high ceilings)

Dyson, hang in there & "get r done"... when you do, you'll have that great scence of accomplishment! ;-)

Well, gotta do the deviled eggs!

Happy Thanksgiving All! :-D

Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 23, 2006
1:40 PM

Post #2938824

47(F) and rising, 95% and very bright hopefully things will start to dry out.
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

November 23, 2006
2:03 PM

Post #2938874

30 and rising here at 10:00 am. Lows around 15 to 20 the last 2 nights with sunny days and highs in the low 50's. Sun, sun, sun, forecast for the next 4 days with high temps expected in the low 50's until next Wednesday. That should dry things up a bit.

Have a great Thanksgiving!

early_bloomer

cuckoo4rblackbe
Savannah, MO
(Zone 5b)

November 23, 2006
2:20 PM

Post #2938905

Have a great Thanksgiving Day everyone. Sunny and nice today. Low about 40 degrees with a high in the mid 60's expected today. Very nice day for this time of year here in our neck of the midwest.

Cuckoo
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 23, 2006
4:37 PM

Post #2939147

Happy Thanksgiving! I've got a few minutes down time! It's 51 now and our high is around 63. Sunny and gorgeous out. Picture perfect day. My daisies are still blooming, what a nice surprise!

Thumbnail by MySharona

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

November 23, 2006
6:51 PM

Post #2939294

Hurrah!! The sun has finally just come out!! 60 degrees and no wind! Yeeehaaa! I was beginning to mildew round the edges.
Sharona, love your daisies. I think our weather the past several days has been about 4 hours behind yours. You're my forecast! :)

Pies baked, turkey's in the oven, football's on. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Deb
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

November 23, 2006
7:14 PM

Post #2939316

Oh, one more thing: thanks to the blustery past few days, my entire lawn looks like this photo. I'll be working off the pumpkin pie raking...for a while...BUT could be worse (could be raining!).
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

November 23, 2006
7:54 PM

Post #2939351

Wishing a very Happy Thanksgiving and Turkey Feast to y'all.

Here currently:
32 F / 0 C
Overcast
Humidity: 55%
Dew Point: 18 F / -8 C
Wind: 20 mph / 32 km/h from the SE
Wind Gust: 25 mph / 41 km/h
Pressure: 29.86 in / 1011 hPa
Windchill: 20 F / -7 C

5 hours north of my location (old man winter is starting to get serious now)
Prince Albert, CA
Elevation: 1404 ft / 428 m
3 F / -16 C
Light Snow Low Drifting Snow
Humidity: 72%
Windchill: -15 F / -26 C

It truly is a lovely library (and has very tall ceilings in the original addition).

The original library building was built in 1912-1913. Although it has the appearance of a Carnegie Library, it is not. When the city applied to the Carnegie Foundation for assistance in funding, the amount which the Foundation was willing to provide was insufficient to build the library. Moose Jaw turned down the amount offered and funded the building through a debenture. The building, its furnishings and collection cost $110,000. The debenture was eventually paid off in the early 1930's by which time the Library was already in need of expansion.

The original building was designed by Charles Curtis McAlpine and George D. Reid. Among its many unique features were the marble rotunda, a stained glass dome and a glass floor in the stack area. The marble in the rotunda was quarried in Quebec.

Unfortunately it's new steam boiler heats the old building and new expansion too well in the winter (we cook when the temps really drop) and in the summer we cook again once the outside temps hit the 90's (the chillers weren't designed to handle the higher temps we are now having so they burn out). The outside windows were also sealed shut since they thought our system would work flawlessly. ;)

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

November 23, 2006
10:12 PM

Post #2939461

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Whoever decided to put Thanksgiving on a Thursday was a genius. That way most people also get Friday off. If Thanksgiving would was established nowdays, I'm sure they would put it on a Monday and everyone would have to rush through dinner in order to catch flights or drive home for school and work on Tuesday.

The people next door are cooking their turkey outside. I can smell it when I go out. It smells good. :-) (We ate at lunch time and are still stuffed.)

Updated: 2:51 PM PST on November 23, 2006
71 F / 22 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 39%
Dew Point: 45 F / 7 C

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 23, 2006
11:10 PM

Post #2939521

Well I had giant crab legs steamed at the grocery store and brought home to enjoy with hot butter. I also had fresh pineapple, bing cherries, and sliced banana. Just what I found at the grocery and it was perfect.
My DB called and we started plans for our Texas Christmas.
The Fog is just as thick as it can be.
36.0 F / 2.2 C
Fog
Humidity: 96%
Dew Point: 35 F / 2 C
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0.0 km/h
Pressure: 30.30 in / 1026.0 hPa
Visibility: 0.0 miles / 0.0 kilometers
I just got an invite to have leftovers with another resident at my motel so I think that sounds like a great idea.
Sidney
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 23, 2006
11:44 PM

Post #2939561

Another grey, rainy day, temp didn't get above 42 degrees. About 1/2 hour ago the rain stopped!! Supposed to be sunny for the next few days. Had a beautiful Thanksgiving. And I am stuffed.
Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL
(Zone 5b)

November 24, 2006
12:14 AM

Post #2939584

Rann, Canadians celebrate Thanksgiving on Oct. 9. With our earlier fall season, we harvest our crops earlier than many Americans so celebrate earlier.

It only reached 40 F today although not a cloud in the sky. Tomorrow is suppose to be rain, wind, 45 F with a little over an inch of rain forecast...suppose to turn colder the weekend although its turning sunny again.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

November 24, 2006
1:16 AM

Post #2939692

I'd like to see American Thanksgiving a little earlier in the year. I think that the current date kind of squeezes the Christmas season a bit, especially when the 4th Thursday is late in the month. The weather should be better for travel with an earlier date, too.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 24, 2006
7:44 AM

Post #2940067

Dark, 44.2(F),75%, & yes dark, DW is getting ready for the annual "day after Thanksgiving, early morning, running through Wally World".

I don't leave the yard on this day of the year.
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

November 24, 2006
9:00 AM

Post #2940092

LOL- Dyson - that's the best place to be :-)

Good morning all! It's a cold one today, 24F at the moment, pretty calm winds and some cloud cover. It's not completely light outside, the sun won't come up for a half hour yet, at 10:25, sunset is at 4:04 and there's still a little less than a month to go before the days start to lengthen again ...

Todd - do canadians eat turkey for thanksgiving too? I always think of thanksgiving as the starting point to the Christmas preparations ... in that regard it's well timed :-) Kelli, it must be nice to get the extra day off to "recover" from the feast! We have several holidays on Thursdays, but there's always work on the Friday after. There's been a bit of a debate whether to move them to Friday to get a long weekend, not sure it will change though. It's hard to change tradition :-) I can't complain though since we get plenty of holidays at other times.

Glad to hear that everyone had a nice holiday - hope today will be a nice one too!

rannveig

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

November 24, 2006
11:28 AM

Post #2940157

Good Morning All! It's 34* & just now dawn...& from what I can tell, not a cloud in the sky!
Am having a good cup o' joe, relaxing before the "gang" gets here! Everybody is at "mawmaw's" for hunting (since Monday) & it has been good! I'm glad that she has 2! freezers! I've got no room left! Yummm, deer meat(2 hams, 1 shoulder, 1 neck roast, & some tender loin) ~ not to mention a few fillets!. God has been generous & I am Thankful.

Dyson, I stay home on this day, too. I have a hard time standing in line & putting up with some folks rudeness...& I don't care for being rushed! If I do any walking... I would much rather do it in the woods ;-)

Hope everybody's not Overly stuffed!

Yesterday's sky...

Thumbnail by music2keep

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 24, 2006
11:41 AM

Post #2940167

43(F),75%. brightening, my favorite time of the day, who knows at this point what the day ahead will bring? Time to "get 'er done" but I think another a cup of tea first, don't 'ya just love days off?

Friday:
Abundant sunshine. High 66F. Winds light and variable.
Friday night:
Mainly clear skies. Low near 35F. Winds light and variable

This message was edited Nov 24, 2006 7:46 AM

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

November 24, 2006
11:50 AM

Post #2940177

Dyson... Alas, A woman's work is never done! :-D But I think that I Will have just one more cup of coffee ;-)

Another mountain shot from yesterday...on a clear day it looks as if I live in the Blue Ridge!

Thumbnail by music2keep

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 24, 2006
12:08 PM

Post #2940200

That is a "blue ridge" shot, and the DW is at wally world still, it would take more than a cattle prod to get me there today.
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

November 24, 2006
12:44 PM

Post #2940237

Glad to hear you're both enjoying your days off in gorgeous weather. Clear skies here as well, but just a "tad" cooler - up to 29 now :-) Still it's calm so it's a beautiful day!

I'm with you two - I like to go shopping when it's not crowded ... I try to get most of my Christmas shopping done in early Dec, I don't set a foot inside a shop the last week before Christmas if I can avoid it (except to buy groceries of course)!

Joey- those mountain and sky photos are beautiful!

Here's a photo I took yesterday around 2:30 pm of our winter sun ... it brings no warmth, but it can be pretty when it peeks through the clouds :-)

Thumbnail by rannveig

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

November 24, 2006
1:05 PM

Post #2940265

Ooooo ~ Rannveig, that looks pretty & chilly! A sun like that only feels good when you are in the car! with the heater going! :-)) Thanx, I took some other pix, but I was too impatient & they were too blurry. It was a delete for sure!
And I'm with you on the X-mas shopping...Never go on the last week! Yeck! And I prefer getting groceries before then, too...altho I manage to forget Something...I send DH out for whatever I have forgotten! ;-)

Well, gotta work on the dressing for the bird...

Have a Great Day!

Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

November 24, 2006
3:26 PM

Post #2940633

Thanks Joey :-)

I just took this photo half an hour ago, around 3:50 pm - todays sunset :-) The sun's setting in the SSW - so now the sunset's visible from my house - there's always a bright side to everything! lol

I don't know if it shows on the photo but the Rhododendron in the lower right-hand corner is cold! It's curling it's leaves :-)

Thumbnail by rannveig

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

November 24, 2006
3:27 PM

Post #2940638

Rannveig that picture shows the beauty of winter. Overcast here with more flurries predicted and the temperature is supposed to drop another 11 degrees before lunch. We are also having our Santa parade today...the local merchants will be tickled pink to have this snow (shoppers tend to start thinking of Christmas when snows on the ground).

7 F / -14 C
Light Showers Snow
Humidity: 79%
Dew Point: 1 F / -17 C
Wind: 12 mph / 18 km/h from the WNW
Pressure: 29.96 in / 1014 hPa
Windchill: -9 F / -22 C

The California peeps will be learning how to drive on snow covered roads today.

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

November 24, 2006
3:48 PM

Post #2940701

Just checked this weeks forecast

tonight -13 F

On Wednesday November 29 we are predicted to be at -38.2F Nick/Charlize/Woody etc are going to discover the real definition of cold shortly. ;)

This message was edited Nov 24, 2006 10:56 AM
kiska

(Zone 3b)

November 24, 2006
3:56 PM

Post #2940717

7:30, dark, minus 10 degrees, with high around 6..
like you, rann, the low sun makes for wonderful light; we too, see both sunrise and set, as our view is mostly to the SSW...Sunrise will be 9:29 and sets at 3:56pm.
At 5:30am on Thanksgiving Day, the northern lights were out and it was such a wonderful way to start the day and to be so Thankful to live here with all our family here, too. Our 3 grown children, spouses, 9 grandchildren, and 3 very special "in-laws" were here for Dinner...everyone brought something and we had a great time.
lilypon, I re-read my travel log from our trip out to Scobey, Montana, last June, and see that we stopped in Moose Jaw on June 12, at 3:30 in the afternoon for gas...It was enough to jog my memory of the area. From there, we arrived in Scobey at 6:40 pm..just read that your "guests" will get to experience some real cool times there; they'll sure have something to talk about...
Joey - nice to have the freezer full of good stuff..our son keeps us stocked with moose...sometimes caribou. There's always a salmon or two in the freezer or in jars; smoked or plain, it's good eats. Grayling or land-locked salmon on the menu, too. Love the looks of the blue mountains..so pretty.
Sugarweed, your meal sounded so good...crab legs and fresh fruit with butter on the side..yummm..
Dyson, my shopping will consist of a phone call to LLBean...they ship so quickly and afffordably here, and the whole family likes their products so it's an easy way...I will go find some toys for the younger grandkids, but not today...another cup of coffee/tea, here too...
The Palmer Hockey Tournament starts this morning, so gotta plan to be there pretty soon...the 16 year old plays today, the 7 year old tomorrow. The 5 year old will not be involved in this one. (grandchildren).
kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

November 24, 2006
4:15 PM

Post #2940765

Kiska those are my other fav winter colours (anything but the grey that's hanging over us now ;). You picked the best time of year to visit here (temps are nice and I love the emerald green of the prairies then ;).

edited to say I'm sure Charlize picked shooting here prior to Christmas because normally our winter is very mild until January (hoping for their sake the shoots will be inside by the 29th).

This message was edited Nov 24, 2006 11:18 AM
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 24, 2006
4:35 PM

Post #2940798

It's another pretty day here. We have turkey all the time, so we had lasagna yesterday. Yumm! :-) Kiska and Rannveig, your pictures are absolutely beautiful!! And I'm SO glad to be here instead of there! LOL

Current conditions:
Partly Cloudy 72F (22C)
Humidity: 57 %
Wind Speed: Vrbl 7 MPH
Barometer: 30.19" (1022.6 mb)
Dewpoint: 56F (13C)
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

November 24, 2006
5:17 PM

Post #2940885

LOL - Marylyn I'm sure you are :-)
Lilypon - those are some cold temps coming up there in your parts - yikes!! Is it even possible to dress warm enough to be outside in -30F????? Sounds horribly cold!

Kiska - gorgeous photo - those are my favorite winter colors too :-) A sunrise??
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 24, 2006
5:23 PM

Post #2940895

68.4(F) and still climbing. DW left again, went somewheres w/her sister, the house is a wreck (polite term) - all she cares about is that her car stereo gets fixed? Think I'll think about it for awhile - maybe it will fix itself.
gardengirl1960
Seabrook, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 24, 2006
5:24 PM

Post #2940897

Well our daily weather is low 80's very low humidity right now.
Perfect shorts weather. Alittle cool in the evening but not enough for a sweater.
I live about 30 mins from Houston on the coast of Gulf of Mexico where flowers bloom year around! But you would not like it here in our HOT humid Summers:)
Tricia

Thumbnail by gardengirl1960

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

November 24, 2006
5:34 PM

Post #2940924

Hi Tricia! Sounds like you are nice and warm down there in Texas! Nice to "meet" you and welcome! And I'll take your word for it that I wouldn't like your hot and humid summers! Sounds like FL and I've tried that and didn't like it AT ALL (in summer that is) :-)
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

November 24, 2006
6:18 PM

Post #2941013

Today's forecast was: Sunny. Highs in the upper 60s. Northeast winds 5 to 10 mph. Exactly right. My arms are aching from raking leaves and pine straw. But the yard looks good. I like that - to be able to see the results of your work - immediate reward. :) I got a few bulbs in the ground and cleaned out and mulched beds, too. A good day. :)
Kiska and Joey - just keep the photos comin'. Beatiful mountains! Thanks.

Now, still sunny and 61. Time for a late lunch of leftovers and a nice cuppa.

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

November 24, 2006
6:22 PM

Post #2941022

Gardengirl thankfully your high temps don't last too long here...we do get 2 to 3 weeks in the high 90's low hundreds with high humidity tho (and many here don't have air conditioning or it breaks down when it gets that high).

July 9th 2005 we had temperatures of 114.5 F (humidity was 100%). That previous winter we hit -54C (or -65.2F)...we climbed 179.7 degrees F from the coldest day to the warmest that year. The humidity we get here comes up from Texas.

ImWay2Dumb (a fellow Texan of yours) posted this picture of the dew point we hit in a Canadian thread (the system had moved over Manitoba by then). The only place in North America that was feeling the exact same heat was Savanah Georgia.

p.s. I give my eyeteeth for your current temps right now. ;)

This message was edited Nov 24, 2006 4:58 PM

Thumbnail by Lilypon

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

November 24, 2006
6:27 PM

Post #2941039

Lilypon - that's an amazing temperature difference! I didn't know it got that hot in summer! You really get the whole range of temperatures.

Debi - loved your photo of the fallen leaves . Those pine needles look familiar - are those the long-leaf pines?
I used to rake a lot of those when we were in FL :-)
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

November 24, 2006
6:35 PM

Post #2941052

Sunny and 55 here today. This is the nicest stretch of weather we have had in 6 weeks or longer.

I ventured out to a couple of stores this morning around 9:00 am. No big crowds. The parking lot at the local Wally World was only 2/3 full. It really wasn't much different then any other day. There's a huge factory store mall about 1 hour south of here and they actually opened up last night at midnight. It's near the I-80 and I-79 intersection and the news said traffic was backed up 10 miles on I-79 and 4 miles on I-80. People are nuts!

Nice photo Kiska. I love the soft pale pastels that winter brings to the landscape.

This photo of Pymatuning State Park at dusk was taken a couple of years ago.

early_bloomer

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

November 24, 2006
7:08 PM

Post #2941126

Lilypon- I, too had no idea you got that kind of heat up there! So you get the best of both worlds, huh? ;-)
Rann - Yup, long leaf pine. The town I live in is pretty much built in a pine forest, so we have a few. I actually would rather rake pine straw than leaves tho. Easier going and makes great mulch.
I made the mistake of making what I thought would be a "quick trip" to Lowe's this morning for some bricks and topsoil. Lowe's was fine, but it's near a Target and Walmart, etc, and OMG the traffic! Yikes.
Staying close to home the rest of the weekend! Besides, the weather's too gorgeous to be inside shopping.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 24, 2006
8:28 PM

Post #2941276

Lilypon, the pub is so cool! You should have a lifetime pass!!

Sharon, John Travolta! He's come a long way since Welcome Back Cotter! Very cool! Beautiful sky!!

Joey, hope your migrane didn't ruin your big dinner. The woods, and the turkey who lives there. He's lucky you only shot him with your camera!

Rannveig, love your bright side to everything! The girls play all over going by their tracks. :))

Kiska, a wonderful family get together! A beautiful serene picture!

Lilypon, love the weather lesson. We were 60* today with a bit of sun!

Hi Tricia, I'll bet your hot and humid are more than I would like. Are you in the path of a lot of storms?

Early, an old picture is still beautiful!
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

November 24, 2006
8:30 PM

Post #2941280

Nice pictures everyone.

I do not go shopping the day after Thanksgiving or the weekend before Christmas. If I lived in a place the snowed, I wouldn't go to the grocery store when they were calling for snow, either.

Updated: 12:51 PM PST on November 24, 2006
65 F / 18 C
Clear
Humidity: 58%
Dew Point: 50 F / 10 C
Wind: 8 mph / 13 km/h from the ESE

Today I tried windshield pictures for the first time. I figured the pictures would turn out blurry but they didn't. This is a road leading into the town of Fillmore. The trees on either side of the road are lemons. (In the evening, this would probably be "purple mountains majesty above the fruited plain".)

Thumbnail by Kelli

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 24, 2006
8:41 PM

Post #2941298

Kelli, I did the same thing and was suprised they were not blurry. This is Nichols from the east. The building on the right is the school I went to till 6th grade. The parked cars belong to the neighbor who lived across the alley fron me till July. They built a house and he paints cars and fixes wrecked ones.

Are the lemons part of a grove?

Thumbnail by billyporter

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

November 24, 2006
8:51 PM

Post #2941319

The lemons are part of a grove. More lemons are grown in Ventura County than anywhere else in the U.S. Fillmore is an agricultural area. When we feel like going for a drive we go up there and stop at one of the fruit and vegetable stands. (Today I got pomegranates for 50 cents each plus a bunch of other stuff. Pomegranates in the grocery store are selling for like $3 each.)

Is the school still being used as a school?

This message was edited Nov 24, 2006 1:52 PM
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 24, 2006
9:05 PM

Post #2941354

Okay folks, such great pictures and wonderful goings on. Lets go here!
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/673282/ New thread to post on.
Sidney

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Weather Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Boring Hurricane Boards? Floridian 106 Jul 24, 2011 12:43 PM
Big Feb Storm CountryGardens 54 Mar 3, 2007 2:39 PM
Yipee It's March!! Daily Weather sugarweed 206 Mar 9, 2007 4:58 AM
Deadly Tornado hits Alabama henryr10 22 Mar 5, 2007 5:01 PM
Help!!! Something's eating the moon!!!! Resin 10 Mar 6, 2007 4:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America