Your most cherished possession

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

What I'm referring to is the item that holds the fond memory. I mentioned on another thread that I wish I had something that I could hold in my hand that belonged to my father's father. He died long before I was born, and I wish I had known him. I wish I had a piece of his life that would give me a feeling that he was real. Like a watch that used to be on his wrist, or something that he had handwritten.

I'd like to hear what other people have that belonged to someone from their past.

Millbury, MA(Zone 5a)

I know what you mean. I used to have a platter that belonged to my great-grandmother (not that I really remembered the person, I'm afraid). It was just a plain white platter, but kind of crackled and veined with age. I still felt really bad when someone dropped it and it smashed :(

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

Ouch! That must have been awful. It's like, you manage to keep something safe for half a century or more, then in one second it's gone. I'm sorry.

Sioux City, IA(Zone 4b)

I am currently dealing with an issue related to this. I have a piece of needle work done by my father's mother. She passed away when he was 14. I received the needle work after my dad passed, it was something I had asked him for and my stepmother gave it to me. However, my mother had plans to give it to her eldest daughter prior to she and my dad divorcing when I was about 10. Even though I believe it is rightfully mine, for a variety of circumstances, I'm passing it on to my older sister...I don't have children and I knew eventally I would need to give it to someone in the family. It is no great work of art but it sure means alot to me. The good news is that I took it out of its frame and photographed it. I had the photo enlarged to near the original size and it is currently being properly framed. I can not wait till I get it back and put it on my wall. My sister will come at Christmas time and take the original home with her. Sigh.

Thumbnail by merigold
Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

I think it's gorgeous! And I will bet you could duplicate it it, if you tried. It seems like it wouldn't be too difficult, if you're at all handy. And though it wouldn't be the same by any means, it would be a good reminder of such a sentimental and really beautiful work of art.

And let me add that I admire you for so graciously giving it to your sister. From the story you told, I think your mom's decision should be over-ruled by your stepmom's. Especially since you had asked your dad for it. So by giving it to her, you are showing yourself to be the peacemaker. God bless you.

Sioux City, IA(Zone 4b)

Thank you nap for recognizing my efforts to "keep the peace". When I found out my sister wanted it I was shocked. I told her extactly why it was important to me and asked her to give me some time. The photo I took looked great when enlarged to 14 x 19 and I am happy that I will have a copy that I can keep and treasure. I believe in some ways once it is matted and framed it will mean more because I will have added my own touch.

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

You said it! I don't even know you, but I'm proud of you!

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

this was a swimming medal my mom won during Pirate Days in Wilmington, NC in 1928. It was some kind of university meet but I think whichever university she represented, they cheated by including her in the team as she never went to college. Still, she was only 14 and got a gold medal. I wear it almost every day. I scanned it; this is not a picture, so I hope it came out all right.

Thumbnail by woodspirit1
Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

merigold that piece is beautiful, as are you. I admire those that are willing to go the "extra mile" in order to keep the peace. I read a sign on a church marquee recently that sort of sums up my feelings. "The best things in life, are not things." I have objects that I cherish and admire, and remind me of long dead relatives, and they are nice, but the memories of that person is something no one can take away.

Sorry, I wasn't helpful with your thread topic by mentioning an object, but have just lost my DM and memories are gonna be what sustains me.

Menasha, WI(Zone 5a)

Woodspirit:Now that's a funny story - nice memory.

This message was edited Nov 19, 2006 9:25 PM

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

My sister gave me all of my Mom's and Grandmother's things when Mom died. I have several things. I am making a Teddy Bear out my Granmother's mink stole. How nice that mink doesn't shed.
I have my Grandmother's dishes that she bought during WWII. She had a big boarding house for tourist and fishermen at Wrightsville Beach, NC, but during the war there was a shortage of housing (barracks) for all the new army personnel so they housed them in boarding houses. Grandma had to go out and buy a very large set of Desert Rose and I have that too.
It is odd how Glee has so little sentiment and I have tons of it. I guess it is my sense of history. I've been working in historic preservation for almost 20 years.

Sioux City, IA(Zone 4b)

How cool woodspirit1. Family history can be so intriguing!

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

I wish I had something to remember my grandfather by... I don't even have a photograph. He died while I was in my 20's and out of the country so I couldn't even attend his services. I feel like he's my guardian angel. In my troubled teen years, he would actually listen to me and give good advice. He treated me like a person... not just a kid. My father never really liked him, I don't understand why, but I guess he has his reasons. That's about the only thing from the past that I wish I had.

For me, my family and my dogs are my prized things. I delight in the moments I spend with them... as I know all too well the days don't last forever. And I do not want for more.... if anything, I want for more time with them. But I am a very content person with what I have. I value everything I have... no matter how small it may seem. And again, I could not want for anything else. Small things bring the most joy for me.

Donna

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks for your memories. My heart is warmed.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

My Mother passed away a few years ago and I received all her Santa's (she collected them) it helps make the holiday's easier. Makes me feel as if she's with me in a small way. I wear her wedding set as my own now and have had my own remounted. I have a quilt top made by my m. Grandmother as well as several items of small jewelry. Of my p. Grandmother's I have a ring I wear during the colder months (it's opal and the heat here shatters the stones) and a small pitcher that my p Great Grandmother used as (or so my Father has told me) a gravy pitcher.

(Zone 5a)

Merigold, that is the most unselfish gesture. You may not have the original anymore, but your Grandmother's heart is full of love for you. I'm proud of you too.

Defoecat, so very sorry about your Mother. Again you come up with a wonderful quote. Things are just that, but they do give us a sense of hanging on.

I too have shared with my cousin, things I could have kept to myself. I saw my Grandparents more than her, which is why I got more, but she's interested in family things too. When I pass, anything My DD doesn't want, goes to her. It's in my will.

I have a lot of things, but will have to think about which one I treasure most.

This is a good thread Nap!

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Nap, Nice thread!
I keep my late father's old pocketknife.

At Nap's request I'm reposting my wife's rocking chair story:

My wife's rocking chair story is not about one quite so antique. We were at a Lion's Club antique sale on a local green. We had not intended to go to this but the friend we were meeting was late enough to blow our original plans. So we see this sale and stop in.

As we checked things out, my wife saw a child's rocker that reminded her of the one she had as a kid. She was reminiscing, telling us about how much she had loved her rocker. Finally she pointed to the arm of the chair to tell us how she had carved her initials in her's and she noticed that she was pointing at her initials. It was her chair!

Of course, we bought it.

Central FL, FL(Zone 9b)

My most cherished possession is my father's shaving brush, which even went with me when I lived on another continent. I was eight years old when I lost my beloved father, but it seems only yesterday. I still miss him even though I'm now older than he was when he died at the age of 46. Sometimes I run my fingers through the brush, remembering that it touched his face the morning he was accidentally shot. Don't misunderstand; this is not a morbid thing. It makes me feel close to him and has comforted me all these years. I love that old brush.

Sioux City, IA(Zone 4b)

I'm really moved by all of your stories. Some families have many items to passed down (my stepsister has a storage unit with all kinds of stuff!) and some have very little or none. It is heart warming to remember that it is the memory of the person associated with even the smallest thing that is really important. I wonder if some of you who do not have an item can maybe put down memories in a scrapbook or frame a story or memory from your family history and you can creat something to pass down to other generations?

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks for posting that story, Dave. I love that story.

Bivbiv, I totally understand, and your story is so touching! No one else could have the same feeling about that brush. You own that special feeling.

Good idea, Merigold. Just think if anyone of us were looking through some old 'stuff' and came across something like that written by one of our great-grandparents! How cherished it would become to someone who may not even be born yet!

Sioux City, IA(Zone 4b)

That is what I was thinking nap, somthing like that could become a family treasure. Gets me to thinking I maybe should do something along this line myself. We have very little family history. I should write down the little things I know so they are not lost.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I have a ruler that was my Dads, he wrote his name on it so it has his beautiful hand writing on it. I keep because it is his handwriting, but also for what it symbolizes. My Dad's Mother got very sick when he was a Senior in High School. He had to get a job and help out financially. He missed a good amount of school because of this but always made up the work. Graduation time came and the school wasn't going to let him graduate due to the missed time even though he had straight A's. The community rallied together and got the school to by pass the rules this one time. He graduated, went into the service and then came home and worked for C.M.P. ( power co. in our area) he started out as a lineman and worked his way up. He bought an encyclopedia set on electricity and taught himself. By the time he was in his 40's, C.M.P. asked him to teach a class at the community college on electricity. This is a man who never went to college and almost didn't graduate from high school. He designed a sub-station on blueprint for an area that kept losing power. That sub-station still uses the design my Dad drew up in the 1970's, and is still problem free. The ruler is the one he used to draw up those blueprints, and the one I still look at with much addmiration and pride. He rose to the Supervisor postion at C.M.P. before he retired due to health problems. I have other items of his, but the ruler symbolizes his hard work, tenacity, and drive to better himself and his family in the process.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I come from a family with generations of packrats....it's genetic, we can't help it. I have so many things, it's hard to pick out just a few.

First of all, I collect old linens and have hankies from everyone in the family. I have them from both grandmothers and their sisters, aunts on both sides and my mom's when she was a little girl. I took some of the white ones and mounted them on quilt blocks and made a hankie quilt. It's a treasured heirloom.

I have pieces of Depression Glass that belonged to my grandmothers...I have been collecting over the years and have built sets around the heirloom pieces....these sets are now my good 'china'.

I have some cast iron pieces that belonged to my father's parents...a coffee grinder and a tobacco cutter. They were kept in their store (which was in the front room of their house) around the turn of the 20th century.

Paper...boy, do I have paper....all sorts of things from paid taxes, to bills from the local general store...these are from relatives I've never known....as the oldest ones date to the 1820's. Many are framed and hanging on my walls. I've also got tons of Victorian 'calling cards', Christmas cards and Valentines from the late 1800's.

This is just the tip of the iceberg...as we are a very big extended family, and everyone who wants something has some memento of our ancestors....my Uncle Joe has a spoon mold dated 1775 that belonged in the family...he made spoons for all of us with it...so while he has the original mold...we all have spoons with the date imprinted on the handles.

I'm fortunate that for generations, my relatives felt compelled to save scraps of their lives...it gives the whole family a connection to generations passed.

Central FL, FL(Zone 9b)

Melody, how wonderful for you and your family to have such treasures, to add to them and pass them on!

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

I'll get serious later, but right now all I can think of is my sanity!

Kelly

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

what a sweet thread. My Mom's a pack rat - she just was devastated when her parents passed away in the late 80's.
(She was an only child. ) For many years she kept all their furnature along with her own. In her living room, she'd have her
cocktail table she'd and their cocktail table, sh'd have her floor lamp and she'd have their floor lamp. You get the picture - a
very full house. She just could not part with any of their things.

It was a very big surprise to me as you can imagine when she offered me my grandmother's special china. I love this set.
Its charming with little roses. Every time I serve my friends or family a wonderful special meal I think of my grandmother.
I have a little conversation with her in my mind, thanking her for bringing my mother into this world. I will be bringing out
that china again on Thanksgiving Day and thanking her again.

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

My Gran gave me her Mr. & Mrs. Santa salt & pepper shakers quite a few years ago. I always loved looking at them as a kid coming up to Granny's & Papa's for Christmas and using them for Christmas Dinner. A few years ago she told me to take them as she didn't have the Christmas dinners anymore and she wanted me to have them. I cried I was so surprised.

My dad, brother, his girlfriend and my niece came down for Christmas one year and I used the *good* china set that Bill's Mamaw gave me. I put out my regular s & p shakers and before I knew it, the Christmas ones were on the table. I asked who put them there and my brother said he did. I took them off the table as I was giving him a dirty look and he asked why we weren't using them, we always did at Gran's. Told him they weren't hers anymore and I didn't want one to get broken.

The are in my Curio cabinet in my Dining Room and though Gran's still with us (Thanks God), every time I look at them I'm reminded of all those great old fashioned Christmas' at Gran and Papa's house with the big dinner, those
s & p shakers, presents galore and the love with all of our family being together.

Other than that, my family is most treasured to me.

Kelly

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

I'm so moved by all of your stories here. I thank you, so much, for sharing them.

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

nap,
Great idea you had for a thread!

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

I have so many things it's hard to come up with one - Kelly, your salt & pepper shakes remind me of the cute little dog ones that I have that were my grandmother's. I remember them in her kitchen so well. And I have a necklace that was hers that she apparently brought from England in the early 1900's. I don't have pictures of them or I would share. I also have some vases, dishes, knick knacks that come from both sides of the family. I'm very lucky.

loved all these wonderful, warm stories.

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Here are the s & p shakers the parts that look silver is actually gold that had been rubbing off when we used to used them

This message was edited Nov 22, 2006 7:56 AM

Thumbnail by GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI(Zone 4a)

these are a pair of crocheted shoes. Gran doesn't remember where she got them, but I always loved them as a kid. I can remember wanting a real pair just like them,,,,lol

Thumbnail by GardenGeek_WI
Starkville, MS

I don't think I could possibly pick one favorite, but this one is way up at the top of the list.

About 1923 my Grandparents lived in Nebraska with their 3 very young children. My father was the oldest at almost 5 years old. They went to a church rumage sale and my Grandmother found this gravy boat. It was priced at 5 cents. Money was *very* tight and a nickel was a lot for something that wasn't really needed, but Grandfather wanted her to go ahead and get it. Just as they were ready to pay for it, he nudged her and whispered "give them a dime!". She did, and over the years it has been used *many* times at family gatherings, with the story of its purchase always told to anyone who hadn't seen it before. Grandmother gave it to me about a year before she died, and I continue to use it and pass along its history.

It keeps me very much in touch with what is really important in life and the relationships we have with those around us. My Grandfather wanted her to have it, he wanted the church to get a little more- it is a lesson about love, and how, once in awhile, 5 cents splurged is worth more than the actual value of a nickel!
ginni

Thumbnail by tgif
Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

Precious story as well as a lovely gravy boat!

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

All your stories are wonderful! I love them all. I'm still thinking about what means the most to me of all the 'stuff' I have. :) bbl

Sioux City, IA(Zone 4b)

ginni, love the story with the gravey boat, your grandpa was a man with a big heart.

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

I do think its the memories associated with the stuff that makes the stuff so important to us!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Great thread idea, nap.

My mother's hand crocheted pieces would be the most important and the crocheted curtain she made, which has found a window in every home I've owned.

Then there's Great Aunt Eva's little vase. She was a fun gal and always wore the "I'm a Purple People Eater" big button I gave her as a teenager. She loved Elvis as much as I did, I think, or she faked it for me.

Also the pictures my mom took of me for all my young birthdays and carefully tinted - in the days before color film.

Two photos of my father during the service in WW I and one of my mom on a cruise to Bermuda in 1923.

Plants from the real PIRL, my late former neighbor of so many years, who taught me to garden and a cup and saucer that belonged to her grandmother.

I'm a real softie and proud of it.

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

As I sit here in almost tears remembering back to my childhood, Mom had an aunt jemima cookie jar, (not the black faced ones you can buy today) This was given to my mom by her grand mother, my sisters and I would play a game called "Who Stole the Cookie from the Cookie jar" only when it had cookies in it :o)... It was given to my middle sister when she got married and was suppose to come to me when she died, but unfortunely her son broke it before it could. mom went home to be with the Lord last November 21st. Both my sisters have been gone for along time now, but my most treasured thing is all my memories of them and the things we had shared growing up... I do have items like this lap quilt my mom was working on before she died, it isn't completed, there is about a foot that still needs to be hemmed closed and the tie strings to do to be done... I just can't bring myself to finish it... Maybe one day I will be able to finish it, and then give it to my grandaughter... I have a plant that my middle sister gave me a cutting of 3 months before she died Jan '86", I still have it :o) My oldest sister will be gone 30 yrs this coming August, I have alot of things of hers, and of my moms mom... I also have my dads very first bible and I cherish that...

Thank you all for sharing such beautiful stories and memories... We do have so much to be Thankful for, Happy Thanksgiving Day to you all...

Connie

Thumbnail by pepsidrinker
Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

Connie - that lap quilt is beautiful! And you are correct - whle that cookie jar may be gone, the
memories of it are not.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!
Tam

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images