Photo by Melody
PlantFiles is getting a new look! Just in time for spring, we're rolling out a new look for the best online plants database. It will also work with your smart phones and mobile devices, so now you can take it with you on garden center visits or botanical garden tours. Questions or comments? Please post them here.

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Lowes reduced-rack find

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 5, Views: 94
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
BackyardZoo
Poquoson, VA
(Zone 7b)

November 21, 2006
2:48 PM

Post #2933733

I don't have a picture right now, because my phone (camera) sync cable is broken. Sorry.

But I picked up an unlabeled plant from Lowes last year as a cheap fill-in for a bed at my front door (we had just finished building - with NO landscaping, but had invited our friend to have her wedding reception there - wanted some quick 'dressing' for the bed).

Anyway, this was a small woody-stemmed shrub-like plant with VERY tubular orange flowers. The leaves are somewhat narrow citrus-shaped, though they don't have the citrus gloss or brittleness. What struck me most, however, are the flowers. The do not appear to have any petals, per se - just a small orange tube with the stamen, etc down in it. No frill, no lip - just the tube, about an inch long and maybe 1/4 wide.

I left it in the ground over the winter - didn't really expect it to survive, but it died back, then came up full & strong this year and is now about 3-4' high. It's in a nice well-protected mostly sunny corner, so it's probably in a zone 8+ microclimate in my yard. (Maybe even zone 9..it's in the 'courtyard' of our U shaped house & facing South)

Any ideas are appreciated. Thank you.
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

November 21, 2006
4:16 PM

Post #2933948

I think you may have a Cuphea ignea...aka Firecracker Plant or Cigar Plant.
It's in the PlantFiles with several pics. Ck. there.
BackyardZoo
Poquoson, VA
(Zone 7b)

November 21, 2006
7:11 PM

Post #2934303

That looks just like it. Thanks!

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 21, 2006
7:24 PM

Post #2934332

wow jd, i'm impressed.
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

November 22, 2006
1:32 AM

Post #2935398

Hey...it's what I do !

I only know that ID because I have one of those...the hummingbirds love it. I bought it when I was going through my "orange phase"...!!!
nifty413
Garland, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 23, 2006
1:07 PM

Post #2938758

Don't mean to step on anyone's feet, but a few things in BackyardZoo's description make me reconsider the ID. First, Cuphea ignea's flowers have a dark purplish coloration at their tips. Also, BZ's mentioning of the plant being "woody-stemmed shrub-like" and "3-4' high" sound a bit odd for cigar plant.

BackyardZoo, you might look closely at Hamelia patens (also called "Firecracker Shrub"), which would also fit your description -- especially with the regard to "woodiness"... http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1844/index.html

Happy Thanksgiving to all! :-)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 91 Feb 3, 2015 2:40 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 22 Nov 3, 2014 6:02 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America