Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Lowes reduced-rack find

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 5, Views: 94
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
BackyardZoo
Poquoson, VA
(Zone 7b)

November 21, 2006
2:48 PM

Post #2933733

I don't have a picture right now, because my phone (camera) sync cable is broken. Sorry.

But I picked up an unlabeled plant from Lowes last year as a cheap fill-in for a bed at my front door (we had just finished building - with NO landscaping, but had invited our friend to have her wedding reception there - wanted some quick 'dressing' for the bed).

Anyway, this was a small woody-stemmed shrub-like plant with VERY tubular orange flowers. The leaves are somewhat narrow citrus-shaped, though they don't have the citrus gloss or brittleness. What struck me most, however, are the flowers. The do not appear to have any petals, per se - just a small orange tube with the stamen, etc down in it. No frill, no lip - just the tube, about an inch long and maybe 1/4 wide.

I left it in the ground over the winter - didn't really expect it to survive, but it died back, then came up full & strong this year and is now about 3-4' high. It's in a nice well-protected mostly sunny corner, so it's probably in a zone 8+ microclimate in my yard. (Maybe even zone 9..it's in the 'courtyard' of our U shaped house & facing South)

Any ideas are appreciated. Thank you.
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

November 21, 2006
4:16 PM

Post #2933948

I think you may have a Cuphea ignea...aka Firecracker Plant or Cigar Plant.
It's in the PlantFiles with several pics. Ck. there.
BackyardZoo
Poquoson, VA
(Zone 7b)

November 21, 2006
7:11 PM

Post #2934303

That looks just like it. Thanks!

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 21, 2006
7:24 PM

Post #2934332

wow jd, i'm impressed.
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

November 22, 2006
1:32 AM

Post #2935398

Hey...it's what I do !

I only know that ID because I have one of those...the hummingbirds love it. I bought it when I was going through my "orange phase"...!!!
nifty413
Garland, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 23, 2006
1:07 PM

Post #2938758

Don't mean to step on anyone's feet, but a few things in BackyardZoo's description make me reconsider the ID. First, Cuphea ignea's flowers have a dark purplish coloration at their tips. Also, BZ's mentioning of the plant being "woody-stemmed shrub-like" and "3-4' high" sound a bit odd for cigar plant.

BackyardZoo, you might look closely at Hamelia patens (also called "Firecracker Shrub"), which would also fit your description -- especially with the regard to "woodiness"... http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1844/index.html

Happy Thanksgiving to all! :-)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America