-
AuthorContent
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 26, 2006
12:20 AM

Post #2943905

I'm 2 months new to DG and really enjoying it! So many intelligent folks out here in DG land! I mainly spend my time in the "Gardening" section since that is a big passion of mine, but happened to be lurking in the "Home" area and came across this thread.

My question ... Has anyone ever made a Bedspread? Not a quilt ... I don't know the first thing about quilting. I am so in awe of you folks who have that talent!

I've been thinking of tackling the project of making a Bedspread for the King Size Bed in our guest room.
I haven't used my sewing machine in quite some time, and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions regarding patterns for an easy BedSpread to make, suggestions on fabric etc. I am not an avid sewer, and maybe I'm thinking of taking on more than I should with this project ... but I figured I might as well give it a try. Any suggestions? Anyone?

Thanks for your input!

Lin

PotEmUp

PotEmUp
Fremont, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 26, 2006
1:03 AM

Post #2943986

Welcome to DG.
My wife is the Quilter. She has made a king size quilt and I recall her complaining about the amount of fabric that you have to push through the machine. You may find that the cost of materials is more than the cost of buying the bedspread.

Thumbnail by PotEmUp
Click the image for an enlarged view.

annabelle15
Niles, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 26, 2006
1:10 PM

Post #2944807

Lin.
Easy was is to take two king size flat sheets, enough batting(large widths can be found in a fabric store) Placing the tow sheets insides together and stich around 3 sides. turn right side out and then add batting inside, and stitch the opening closed. to anchor the batting, I use narrow ribbon or yard and a large eye needle, tying it at about 2 foot intervals.
I learned this from a Japanese lady who made a lot of Japanese quilts.
Easy to make and easy to wash, plus there are some great looking sheets out there
Good luck
Ann
mmistyrose
Benton, KS
(Zone 6a)

November 27, 2006
5:05 PM

Post #2947897

I've also had a spread like that annabelle...very comfortable and easily washed! Mine was two sided...a light side and a dark side. I could use whichever color I wanted.
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 27, 2006
5:37 PM

Post #2947969

Ann: Thanks so much for that suggestion ... sounds like a great idea! And easy, which suits me ... I have a very short attention span and sometimes if a project is time consuming, I never finish what I started! With the method of two sheets sewn together, that won't be time consuming at all!

I'm kinda dense sometimes so I'm not understanding what you said about after adding the batting. Do you use the sewing machine to stitch the entire side closed after adding the batting, sewing through the batting to anchor it inside? I'm also not understanding about the narrow ribbon or yarn, sewing it and tying it at 2 foot intervals? Do you do that at the top of the bedspread for decoration, using a large eye needle to sew it along the top, tying the ribbon into bows or something? Sorry for all the additional questions. It's sometimes hard for me to understand written directions. I'm pretty good at pictures though! LOL!!

Lin
annabelle15
Niles, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 3, 2006
1:26 AM

Post #2963250

pLANT LADY,I add the batting, which you can get in the right width for your quilt, then pin it in place in several places around the edge. Then I take a large eyed needle and some thin satin ribbon (can get at walmart in the sewing dept, Cuta piece about 9 inches long, thread into the needle and use ti stich thru the quilt, top batting and back, return the needle about 1/4 inch away and tie the ribbon. you have made your first quilting stich. I do this about every 12 inches starting at one corner and going all the way across the quilt. Really looks pretty and you have a hand quilted quilt (drape across your kitchen table makes it easier to stitch)
I stitch the opening closed with the machine.

Good luck
Sorry it took me so long to answer, I had Bariatric surgery on 28, weight is coming off fast. I don't have to take drugs for Bp or eiabetes and more. Praise God!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any questions let me know

Ann
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 3, 2006
1:57 AM

Post #2963323

Oh Ann, Thank you so much! Now I understand what you were explaining. I sure do appreciate your suggestions ... I can't wait to try it. And, I will post when I get it done and let you know how it comes out!

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers and hope you recuperate quickly from your surgery!

Thanks again!
Lin
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 30, 2006
10:59 PM

Post #3037351

Lin if you haven't done this yet, you can stitch the batting to the wrong side of one of the sheets and then put sheets right sides togeather, stich around edges including batting. Leave a good size (18") opening to turn the spread right side out. After poking the corners square and pressing I usually slip stitch the opening closed and then sew around the spread about 1" from the edge. It is a pretty finish.
Then you can tack or tie as above to finish.
Sidney
annabelle15
Niles, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 18, 2007
6:22 PM

Post #3097133

Sugarweed, I never thought to do that, I always followed my grandma instructions. Next quilt I'll try your way. Sounds a lot eaiser. Thanks
Ann
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 18, 2007
6:29 PM

Post #3097169

Thanks so much! I haven't gotten around to doing it yet ... but it is still on my to-do list! And, it sounds so easy that even I could do it! LOL.

MsKatt
Mid-Michigan, MI
(Zone 5b)

February 27, 2007
4:06 AM

Post #3229061

SWEET! So glad I found this! I plan on making my DS a Star Wars comforter. I'm going to do the two sheet method...lots less expensive than buying the fabric (because it's licensed).

Here's a thought... he already has a down comforter in a puky shade of aqua green. He loves the comforter..hates the color. It was a "second" and had a discoloration on the corner. It was a $250 down comforter that I got for $49. Woo hoo. Anyhooo...what do you think of just using the comforter as a sort of batting...maybe making more of a duvet cover now that I think about it...sorta rambling here...:)

Michelle
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 27, 2007
12:05 PM

Post #3229535

Michelle: I am a novice when it comes to sewing and still have not made my bedspread/coverlet with the great advice that was given to me here. But ... eventually I will get it done. I think it's a Great idea to cover your Son's comforter that way. I would think you could either make a duvet cover from the sheets or even make it like Annabelle15 suggested in her above post. You wouldn't have to buy batting since you already have the down comforter to use inside the two sheets! Although I don't think Down is washable, so you may just want to do the duvet that could be removed for laundering.

Good luck with your project and let us know how it turns out!

Lin
annabelle15
Niles, MI
(Zone 5a)

March 16, 2007
9:20 PM

Post #3289686

Michelle, Down is washable... but there are a few rules you must follow and they can be tricky, just take it to a dry cleaner and they can treat it as it should be done. Washing in a regular washer doesn't give the comfortor enough room to really get clean and drying it in a home dryer is very hard. The larger machines at the cleaners give the comfortor the room to bounce around and dry the feathers right. I learned from experience...

I covered one and it came out great, good luck
marinemomcowpuncher
Columbus, OH

July 20, 2007
5:20 PM

Post #3759229

can anyone help me figure how to print coloring book pages which i have colored on to a quilt block? I don't have a color printer.

PotEmUp

PotEmUp
Fremont, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 20, 2007
8:46 PM

Post #3760027

One option is to iron them onto the fabric - they will be reversed and only the crayon will transfer
http://www.crayola.com/educators/techniques/meltedcrayon.cfm
Another is to get a color copy made onto transfer paper like this from Michael's http://www.michaels.com/art/online/displayProductPage?productNum=nw0132&channelid=
You can get the color copy at Kinko's or most office supply stores.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

July 23, 2007
1:17 PM

Post #3768409

George is right...lots of printing options for fabric right now...(By the way...Hi George! When are you and Gretchen coming to Paducah????)

Anyway, there's printable iron ons and there's also treated fabric...from nice cotton to silk. I printed on silk this last winter and it was great.

The fabric is fused to printer sized paper and you just use your print program to put your design on it...scan in your coloring book pages and just drag them to the project. Put the treated fabric into your printer and hit 'print'...very easy.
marinemomcowpuncher
Columbus, OH

July 23, 2007
4:27 PM

Post #3769062

DAVE, I RECEIVED MY PLANT STARTER KIT. DIDN'T I ORDER SOME SEEDS TOO?

PotEmUp

PotEmUp
Fremont, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 24, 2007
2:22 AM

Post #3771479

I have a rubber stamp at work that be just perfect for this. It very simply says in a large font [quote]HUH?[/quote]

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

August 17, 2007
7:20 PM

Post #3868234

This is a great thread, glad I found it. Have a Cal-King Pillowtop bed that costs a $$$$$$ to outfit, so sewing sheets and batting together for the next summer ought to be a "breeze."

I have a question. I, like Plantladylin, am a VISUAL learner, especially when it comes to details like you mention above. A PICTURE is worth a thousand words to me.

Could ya'll take a quick moment and post some PICS of these coverlings you've made? Huh? Please? PLEASE?
MsKatt
Mid-Michigan, MI
(Zone 5b)

August 17, 2007
8:46 PM

Post #3868506

I don't sew much in the summer, so you may have to wait til this fall and winter for pics, lol. My project has already changed from Star Wars to Camoflauge. However, you are in luck! I take pix of all of my projects from start to finish. I usually do a slide show or print it so I have it for future reference. I'm very visual and hands on. I do the same when I'm cooking...I take pix of most steps (obviously not every thing I cook) and print them for my sister along with step by step instructions. She is a SAHM, and is relearning how to cook, she had a closed head injury from a car accident and her reading comprehension is shot. We've found that if there is a picture for her to reference she does just fine.

Michelle in Michigan

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 17, 2007
8:55 PM

Post #3868531

Michelle, doing the slide presentation for your Sister is a great idea. What a thoughtful thing to do.
Vickus
Mahomet, IL

October 14, 2007
12:46 PM

Post #4081084

Hi All!
In reference to making a king size bedspread with sheets. If you like it wider you can use two extra long twin sheets of course sewing them together. Only down side is the seam down the middle of each side but you can add buttons or other decorative things to the yarn or thread you tack with and it draws attention away from that seam. That will make it around 124" wide.
pinkpoodlegirl
Rock Hill, SC
(Zone 7b)

October 14, 2007
11:44 PM

Post #4083059

If you do two twin size sheets you can split one of the sheets and have the large center panel and then the two halves on each side...maybe with piping down the seam. That would be better than having a seam down the center of the bedspread.
fitgrad
Amityville, NY

January 10, 2008
4:00 AM

Post #4382469

please be advised that once you add batting, you have a quilt, if you place another layer of fabric underneath the batting. Think of a sandwhich, two layers of fabric, with the batting in between=quilt. A bedspread, therefore has no batting. Pink Poodle Girl is right on target with her advice.
deanna8
Raeford, NC

September 15, 2008
5:17 AM

Post #5553251

I don't know why you could not do that with the king size because it is not going to be a bedspread because it would be more like a coverlet. So use the king size and probably half a twin sewn on each side so it hangs to the floor. They now have a king and a half. I have a king bed. Wish they would add to the queen a little karger and I would go to that. deanna
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

September 15, 2008
3:23 PM

Post #5554389

How did you all know I had a problem that you might just have solved? Read my mind, eh? My DIL has picked out some material for a duvet cover; dry clean only! She wants a center panel of red and border of green and there bed is king size.
I have been worrying about how I would manage to measure, cut, piece and sew this monstrosity with only a small table to work on. I now think I may buy a king size sheet and use that as a pattern. It would also make a nice backing for the cut side of the material.
Thanks...you really helped make my day!
luvs2garden2000
(Tia) Norman, OK
(Zone 7a)

September 15, 2008
3:38 PM

Post #5554458

yes when I was reading this just a few minutes ago, I thought of you. Sounds like a plan let us see the pics when you finish it.
deanna8
Raeford, NC

September 17, 2008
6:13 AM

Post #5562120

Sorry supposed to larger not karger sometimes I miss my mistakes deanna
Sue_L
Virginia Beach, VA

April 2, 2009
1:45 PM

Post #6354075

I was looking at batting and it was rather expensive so I ended up with 2 bagged battings. Does anyone know how best to put them together? Is it enough to sew them around the edge and then tie them?

annabelle15
Niles, MI
(Zone 5a)

April 4, 2009
10:58 AM

Post #6362569

sue you can get a fabric glue,(make sure it's waterproof) just glue two edges together, let dry and you'll have a whole piece. I did that to make a King size. But sewing will also work, just remember to tie close to the edges .
Annabelle

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Sewing and Quilting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quilt Block Exchange cont..... Luluguid 76 Dec 22, 2010 6:07 PM
Looking for a Shopping Cart Cover Pattern???? red_princess_71 17 Jan 4, 2010 9:44 AM
Necktie Skirts & Purses SandiTX 4 Oct 7, 2008 3:15 AM
Lascaux.....and brush water melody 27 Feb 29, 2008 7:46 PM
Free Accessory Patterns Yuska 13 Apr 18, 2008 9:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America