Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Violas and Violettas: Volunteers Everywhere... Do you let them grow?

Communities > Forums > Violas and Violettas
bookmark
Forum: Violas and ViolettasReplies: 3, Views: 157
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
terri_in_PA
Emmaus, PA
(Zone 6a)

November 27, 2006
7:58 PM

Post #2948305

I Had a small bed of johnny jump ups and even some common blue violets... Well the jump ups have jumped clear across my yard, into a new flower bed i created. I am thinking of leaving them there.. its almost like there is a ground cover of them.

Does anyone here leave their volunteers in their flowerbeds, using them as a groundcover?
mrsholsti
Camp Crook, SD
(Zone 3b)

November 27, 2006
11:55 PM

Post #2948978

I personally love violas and violets, johnny jump-ups, etc. I have such a hard time getting flowers of any kind to survive (even the "weed" violets), that I let the volunteers go. I figure, more volunteers means less I have to buy next year. I just planted a bed of pansies and violas this spring, and by September, already had dozens of volunteers. Of course, I'm reeeally lazy about dead-heading, too.
steph_gem
San Diego, CA
(Zone 10b)

December 2, 2006
2:05 AM

Post #2960809

i would just let them grow unless they were in a place that you dont want them.
zville123
Zanesville, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 23, 2007
7:32 PM

Post #3528057

We bought a house were the yard was left to go wild for years. I think a quarter of our back yard is violets. Considering what else we have to deal with (poison ivy, grape vine, stinging nettle, vinca), I'm not too worried about the violet LOL. My husband doesn't mind them in the back yard but he doesn't want them in the front yard. I try to keep them out of my flower beds, but since most are temporary and flush to the ground, that's near impossible. So, unless their crowding out another plant, for the most part I don't worry about them. I look forward to the flowers in the spring and the foliage isn't bad to look at the rest of the year. My husband looked at me like I was crazy when I bought some Rebecca & Etain for one of my raised beds LOL. There's some invasive plants you have to fight but, for me, violets aren't anywhere near the top of the list :~)

Denise

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Violas and Violettas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome, Pansy and Violet-lovers! Terry 6 May 25, 2007 11:25 AM
Anybody use them in cooking? Dea 10 Feb 27, 2012 3:49 PM
Wild One hczone6 15 May 15, 2008 8:18 PM
Wild violets kniphofia 5 Mar 26, 2007 3:58 PM
All violets are not the same anastatia 8 Sep 25, 2007 1:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America