Valley of Fire

Henderson, NV(Zone 9b)

Here's another desert get-a-way in Nevada. Valley of Fire state park is Nevada's first state park, I think, and is only an hour away from Las Vegas. This is one of my day trip there and my 6th or 7th time going there.

This is the west entrance area

Thumbnail by cacti_lover
Henderson, NV(Zone 9b)

This is one of several "beehives" in the Beehive area.

Thumbnail by cacti_lover
Henderson, NV(Zone 9b)

Beehive area

Thumbnail by cacti_lover
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Oooh, that beehive is neat looking.

Posted at the same time. lol

Henderson, NV(Zone 9b)

LOL Good timing!

Henderson, NV(Zone 9b)

There are many holes or "window" in the rocks throughout the park.

Thumbnail by cacti_lover
Henderson, NV(Zone 9b)

Another beehive in the Beehive area.

Thumbnail by cacti_lover
Henderson, NV(Zone 9b)

Petroglyphs on a rock

Thumbnail by cacti_lover
Henderson, NV(Zone 9b)

The Cabins, used by early travelers:

Thumbnail by cacti_lover
Henderson, NV(Zone 9b)

Rainbow Vista, one of my favorite areas of the park, has many colored rocks and stones.

Thumbnail by cacti_lover
Henderson, NV(Zone 9b)

This huge boulder has several colors. Rainbow Vista area.

Thumbnail by cacti_lover
scio, oregon, OR(Zone 8a)

Thanks for sharing these, it makes me want to set out on a road trip!

Henderson, NV(Zone 9b)

A rainbow staining the rocks in Rainbow Vista.

Thumbnail by cacti_lover
Henderson, NV(Zone 9b)

Thanks, Baolvera.

Henderson, NV(Zone 9b)

Rainbow Vista.

Thumbnail by cacti_lover
Henderson, NV(Zone 9b)

A stained rock in Rainbow Vista.

Thumbnail by cacti_lover
Henderson, NV(Zone 9b)

Rainbow Vista

Thumbnail by cacti_lover

Love the cabins.

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the great photos.!! I've added it to the 'someday' list of places to see before I go.

Henderson, NV(Zone 9b)

You bet, Grannymarsh. Seeing it with your own eyes is so much better than pictures.

Hey Pepper23, yeah the cabins are kind of neat. Reminds me of Native American dwellings.

Hello from 100 feet up.

Thumbnail by cacti_lover
Henderson, NV(Zone 9b)

White Dome area

Thumbnail by cacti_lover
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

OMG Trent...you just keep posting these...I'm gonna get out there...that's a definate!!! Excuse the ignorance but the "beehives" - ummm....how are they created? If this is a "duh" question...I'll hide now...I mean is it really created by bees or given that name b/c of the way it appears?

Henderson, NV(Zone 9b)

LOL Chantell! Please don't hide. Actually that is a valid question considering you're not there in person. I showed pictures to friends and they were like, "Is that a beehive?" They're just huge boulders about 15-20 feet tall that kind of look like beehives. As for how they are created, I'm not sure either. Weathering I guess. If you like hiking and climbing on rocks, then I recommend this park.

Henderson, NV(Zone 9b)

A particularly colorful area at Rainbow Vista

Thumbnail by cacti_lover
Henderson, NV(Zone 9b)

Same area looking up

Thumbnail by cacti_lover
Henderson, NV(Zone 9b)

Elephant Rock

Thumbnail by cacti_lover
Henderson, NV(Zone 9b)

The head of Elephant Rock

Thumbnail by cacti_lover
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks for saving my pride, Trent!! Couldn't tell the size in the pic...and though huh? Those rainbow rock are just amazing with those colors!! Wow!!

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

Looks cool. Is it an hour away North, south east or west? We are going to Laughlin just before Christmas?

Henderson, NV(Zone 9b)

It's all good Chantell. I understand. That's why you have to go see them in person. Amazing how nature can paint on rocks.

Hello, Hellnzn11. It's an hour northeast of LV. You take I-15 north, get off on exit #75 and go to the right. Keep driving on that lonely 2-lane road for about 20 or so miles to the west entrance. Entrance fee is currently $6. Hope you can make it.

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

well Laughlin is an hour east so it may be only a half hour north from there, I`ll mapquest it. thanks.

Henderson, NV(Zone 9b)

You bet, but Laughlin is actually more south than east. So it might be a 2-hour+ drive from Laughlin. Hope this helps.

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

hmmmm. How are your cactus and succulants doing with the freeze from a few weeks ago?

Henderson, NV(Zone 9b)

I've moved the stapeliads and other tender ones indoors before the freeze, so they're okay. The semi-tender ones are moved under the porch and the rest is left alone. None are injured except a couple of tender tropical trees.

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

what are stapeliads? Is it the thing that loks like the trunk of a palm with a pineapple on top?

Henderson, NV(Zone 9b)

No, what you're talking about are probably bromeliads. Stapeliads are plants belonging to the family Asclepiadaceae. Here are a few examples: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/672854/

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

Oh thanks

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Very nice place to tour. Thanks.

Henderson, NV(Zone 9b)

You're welcome, Dinu!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.