Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Needle Arts: knitting machine knitters...Brother?

Communities > Forums > Needle Arts
bookmark
Forum: Needle ArtsReplies: 58, Views: 290
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

cpartschick

cpartschick
Gladwin, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 29, 2006
4:09 PM

Post #2953342

Hi,
I was wondering if there are any machine knitters out there. I was big into knitting machines years ago and then got out for a while. I have recently picked up a good used machine, but no one sells them any more and it is hard to find yarn and tools. I have picked up a few things on ebay, most are quite pricey. I am looking for a set of adjustable 7 prong tools, and an inexpensive yarn supplier. I have just been making some sweaters and hats for presents. I chart my own patterns so I don't need patterns, but it would be nice to have sources if I need needles or parts for my machine.
Thanks

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 19, 2007
1:04 PM

Post #3297996

I have 3 brothers, a 360 chunky, fine needle bed and an electronic...from what I understand brother no longer sells knitting parts...think they are going out of business...I've been watching and purchasing 2nd hand machines s that I have additional parts...

cpartschick

cpartschick
Gladwin, MI
(Zone 5a)

March 19, 2007
1:19 PM

Post #3298051

I used to have 3 machines, after a divorce, moving, etc. I had to sell them all. I picked up a good used punchcard with a lot of extras I wanted. I did get a nice pack of needles in good condition on ebay. I steered clear of my beloved electronic, fearing problems and no repair or parts availible. The punch card does quite a bit.
Does not look like there are too many of us left. With yarn prices at an all time high, and not bad looking cheap walmart sweaters, there is not much demand for good custom made items.
Are you able to get yarn easily? I am getting it mostly mail order. I got some Tamm yarn, that used to be good, but now I find many knots in it and different thicknesses towards the end of the yarn, also color changes. I do not like this problem with an expensive yarn.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 20, 2007
9:03 AM

Post #3301073

Funny, have an electronic that knits on it's own and still can't find time to set it up..the old punch card chunky though as paid for itself mega times over...

No problems with getting wool...about 40 minutes from my home is "Knitters Bazaar" and they carry every type of wool, even cones for machines...

I've been into decorative painting, woodworking and stained glass..shortly it will be gardening but I should get them oiled and into shape...

Sorry you had to sell some of your machines...

cpartschick

cpartschick
Gladwin, MI
(Zone 5a)

March 20, 2007
12:01 PM

Post #3301600

I was ok with selling them at the time. I had lived in a big city and did custom knitting for people. It was getting over my head and could not keep up with the orders. It was getting not fun anymore. After moving to a very rural area, I kept only the electronic (and the goodies, garter carriage, etc) and after that I had no time or space anymore.
I like the punch card just fine. I did miss being able to whip up a pair of baby booties in a pinch, or a simple sweater in a day for a gift. My daughter had no intrest in it and now that she is an adult, came up to visit and made a neat version (her own) of a ribbed scarf for everyone she works with for Christmas. It took two visits and she learned to curse (ha) but she did well. She attached tags and everyone thought she had bought them.
I find myself only knitting in the winter now. It is much more fun.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 22, 2007
4:21 PM

Post #3309222

It's been quite a few years the electronic has been put away, don't know if I'd know how to program it to knit/purl..should really take it out...I do not have any daughters and my DIL isn't interested in the least, so no one to hand it over to or teach...I had quite a few patterns that a friend of mine designed for baby outfits..when I moved I lost them all so not sure if I have the energy to redo...maybe you've given me a push to take it out from under the bed...

cpartschick

cpartschick
Gladwin, MI
(Zone 5a)

March 22, 2007
4:34 PM

Post #3309253

I hope so. I hadn't knitted on one for 10 years and I was surprized at how everything came back to me. I have a needle transfer carriage that puts the loops back up from the ribber bed in one "swoosh" across. I found myself stumped as how to do it. I waited a second and I automaticly pulled extra needles out before my knitting. I had forgotten that you had to do that, but it seems I had done it so many times before my brain must have remembered.
It is fun after so many years to be able to make a special stocking cap, or match a sweater found in the store for a gift. Hope you find time to have some fun again!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 25, 2007
8:09 AM

Post #3317791

Yes, I have same unit, always found it just as easy to do by hand..but that' s me..the electronic hasn't been used I'd say in 15 years..once my DH passed away (47) I got away from it, but I should look for a tiny corner of the world and set it up..have my brother chunky in this room covered and do use it from time to time so just maybe I'd get back to it...makes wonderful blankets..has over 2,000 patterns in it's memory and you just key in # and voila it knits back and forth on it's own..how much easier can you get..it's more the space than the time to set up I guess..but should do/will do...thanks for you posts...vry interesting...

cpartschick

cpartschick
Gladwin, MI
(Zone 5a)

March 26, 2007
7:16 AM

Post #3321033

mmm, never saw that chunky. Got out of knitting before that came around I guess. That is really neat. I bet it makes beautiful blankets. The only thing I had to work by itself was a garter carriage, and you had to kind of babysit that. My bulky machine had no pattern stitches, but I did have a ribber for it. I did not use it very much. The most unusual thing I made on the bulky was a sweater for a guy who brought me loads of shed hair from his dog that someone spun up into yarn for him. It was a big white long haired dog of some kind. I made him a jacket sweater, shawl collar, etc, It smelled like wet dog when I steamed it. It was pretty, very heavy and I had white hair in my room for a year after.
Mollybeebob
Mississauga
Canada

April 5, 2007
9:18 AM

Post #3357681

Hi Every one I just bought a knitting machine Model 740 singer and a ribber SRP60N I also have an Intarsia carriage as well.. very excited about learning so any tips will help from my new friends.
I am also wanting to locate a wool winder, seems hard? also coned wool.. noted the knitters bazaar.. I use to live in Victoria BC

cpartschick

cpartschick
Gladwin, MI
(Zone 5a)

April 5, 2007
9:32 AM

Post #3357732

Hope you have a great time with your new machine. They work very simular to the brother machine, but there are some differences. I used to teach knitting back in the 80's, so I will help you all I can. Like I said before, there are some things to be had on ebay, but some go quite pricey. When buying a yarn winder, try to get the larger one. I had the small version and updated quickly. The larger version winds quicker and larger amounts. Try simple things of course at first and get to know how the machine works, how the latches work, this will help you understand better how to fix an error instead of starting over, or sometimes eliminate an error. For example, if the yarn is not in correctly, your knitting falls off. Some settings will make needles in forward position not knit, or will make them look for a second color, if the second color is not there, knitting on the floor. It is normal to get frustrated. Everyone goes through that. Have fun and prepare to "wow" all your friends.
Mollybeebob
Mississauga
Canada

April 5, 2007
10:44 AM

Post #3357989

Hey: cpartschick
thanks so much for your word of kindness... I am looking so forward.. been calling around for a wool winder seems the best place is in Toronto... they range from 40.00 up to 200.00 so will see which one. Thanks for the tip on size that makes sense...
I think I will start with a baby blanket and work from there. I will be back with more questions I am sure, nice to know there are friends who can help...
Mollybeebob
Mississauga
Canada

April 5, 2007
10:54 AM

Post #3358027

I like the punch cards.. are they hard to work with?

cpartschick

cpartschick
Gladwin, MI
(Zone 5a)

April 5, 2007
1:47 PM

Post #3358562

Machine's do the knitting, the computers, electronics and punch cards are for the pattern knitting (like 2 color, lace, tuck st). On old machines you needed to hand select needles for a pattern, then came push button that controled, I think 8 sts, punch card controls 24 sts, electronic 60st and so on. (this may differ on different brands) Punch cards are easy to use, a special punch is used to get the hole directly into the middle of the square. Each hole makes the machine select that needle in the pattern on your knitting bed. This pattern repeats or can be isolated. This gives you, lets say a name, or snow flake pattern on a hat or sweater. There is no end to what you can make. Straight knitting is by far easier than shaping of course, so a scarf or blanket is a good first project.
If you punch a hole where you shouldn't, a piece of tape can cover the hole and fix the card. I like the punch card machine for its ease, affordability and less to go wrong. If I want a pattern that is over 24sts I hand select it. It is harder, but can be done. You should have alot of fun with your machine.
scottie48133
Erie, MI

April 11, 2007
10:19 AM

Post #3378808

I have a Brother Electroknit kh-940 and a G carraige and haven't used it for a few years. Undortunately it isn't working properly and I can't find anyone to re-furbish it. Any help to get this fixed would be appreciated

cpartschick

cpartschick
Gladwin, MI
(Zone 5a)

April 11, 2007
2:29 PM

Post #3379703

There are people that can fix these. You have to pack it up and send it, but I don't know where. I will see if I can find out.
If machines sit for a while, they usually just need a good oiling. I had a G carriage that would not work at all, after some oil, it ran fine. Also the machine I bought, the carriage worked very hard, after oiling the gizmos, it was ok again.
Mollybeebob
Mississauga
Canada

April 16, 2007
4:07 PM

Post #3398498

I now know how to cast on and use the punch card.. I just have to learn how to cast off...
It's funny you read the manuals but its info from others that help.

Thanks cpartschick

next will be setting up the ribber, maybe next week...lol...

Can you do the edges on a baby blanket after you have knit it to the size you want or do you have to finish it by hand?
anyone got some baby patterns out there you are willing to share?

cpartschick

cpartschick
Gladwin, MI
(Zone 5a)

April 16, 2007
5:07 PM

Post #3398683

Sounds like you are learning alot already.
How do you cast on? I like to use the "e-wrap" method. This is done by starting on the left, yarn between the last two needles, and wrap back, then come up between the next two needles and so on across to the end. This wrap looks like the incursive "e". After knitting one row, carefully pull out the needles, holding on to first row, to make sure they knit on the next row, hang weights and go. This makes a really nice edge.
Yes, I like to crochet edges on blankets and things, sometimes also around a boxy jacket or edge of a skirt. Most sweaters and things have ribbing edge, or you can hang a hem. Should be directions on hems in your book. I like EON (every other needle) for 10 rows, then every needle (just put the needles into work) for 10 rows then hang hem. This gives a picot edge that is nice and really easy. Also by using EON at first the underside is thinner making the hem not so thick.
Make sure after removing your item from the machine to let it roll and stretch it lenghwise to set the stitches. The machine makes everything short and fat and you need to put it back into shape. A good steamer is very important.
I almost always cast off with the latch hook.
Starting at the right, hook latch hook over last latch on needle. Grab the stub sticking up through the needle bed and pull back dragging your latch hook with the needle backward. This slides the latch through the stitch and unhooks from the needle on the bed. Now just grab the yarn and pull through for one stitch bind off, you are ready to hook the next latch as it slides by (when you push the next one). This makes the nicest bind off.
If you are using crochet edge, you can use scrap yarn of contrast color and knit a few rows. Break yarn and run across letting the knitting drop. Then fold over at edge and crochet in the little loops, after just unravel the contrast scrap yarn. That is an easy way for a blanket.
I used to have all kinds of patterns, but let them go with my machines. I see there are baby patterns on the internet, some free, like little hats and sweaters to get you started.
I hope I could help a little, it is too hard to try to write directions, when this machine is so visual, but maybe some of it may sound familiar and might help.
good luck.
My easy stocking cap
Using medium wieght yarn (fingering weight) T-10 (kinda loose)
E wrap EON 65-0-64 (from needle 65 thru 64 on other side)
Knit 50 rows.
Bring ribber up and put EON on ribber in place T-8 and knit one row, hang ribber weight and knit 80 rows.
Move all stitches to main bed.
Knit 70 rows starting a pattern if desired at row 20. (stripes or fairisle)
Transfer every other stitch to the next door needle to make EON in work. Hang hem from EON at first row (this is the lining of the hat)
Knit 8 more rows at a tighter tension.
Break off yarn leaving about 2 to 3 feet for sewing and binding off. Using double eye needle remove stitches and gather for top of hat. Continue sewing up seam of cap, inside and out.
here is a picture of the caps.

Thumbnail by cpartschick
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Mollybeebob
Mississauga
Canada

April 17, 2007
8:12 PM

Post #3402719

Wow what wonderful information... and I am going to print this off my friend and save.. it still seems like double dutch to me yet but I am sure it will sink in my head...
As you can see I am not at the machine tonight, I am fed up but will get back at it soon. I think I need a video or some lessons, I need to see someone in action. I am driving myself crazy fliping back and forth in the darn manuals and pattern book.
cpartschick, your really nice to give me all this info. I think I need to find someone in my area who has a knitting machine. I did make friends with a lady but she lives far away from me.
again thank you so much.
Mollybeebob
Mississauga
Canada

April 18, 2007
1:05 PM

Post #3404979

I looked for the sponge, and found it lol... I think I need to oil the machine. I am a bit down but I will keep trying.

cpartschick

cpartschick
Gladwin, MI
(Zone 5a)

April 18, 2007
5:59 PM

Post #3405880

I use a spray oil and spray the underside of carriage well. Then take an old rag and wipe off the excess. All the little flippers on the underside of the carriage need to be able to work. If one is sticky, it can cause you problems. Also the plastic gears, brushes that turn, need to turn freeley. Sometimes you have to take a screwdriver and remove them, clean away build-up and then replace them. It is really simple maintaince. Makes a world of difference. I oil my machine really well before each project. Sometimes the extra oil will get on the bed while knitting and just wipe that with a cloth too, to take off excess.
Mollybeebob
Mississauga
Canada

April 20, 2007
8:53 AM

Post #3411057

Thanks cpartschick
your such a wealth of info for me...
I have an action plan this weekend.. I will do what you said and see if it makes a difference, I am sure it will.
soon pictures of my projects... well maybe in a few months..lol

cpartschick

cpartschick
Gladwin, MI
(Zone 5a)

April 20, 2007
12:26 PM

Post #3411759

good luck!
Mollybeebob
Mississauga
Canada

April 23, 2007
8:43 AM

Post #3420810

I am totally fed up now. I oiled it all and I seem to be back at the beginning again with learning how to cast on. I need a simple pattern. I thought I could knitt a blanket, can't get much simple than, that... I even know how to work the punch card. I seem to get so far and then either the thread has caught on a hook and bunched it up or some stitches have been dropped or not knit? what may be casueing this?

cpartschick

cpartschick
Gladwin, MI
(Zone 5a)

April 23, 2007
12:27 PM

Post #3421557

A couple things. Improper tension for yarn weight. Try going a higher tension, or a lower tension. Knitting bunches, with too high, drops stitches with too low.
Or not weighted properly. Usually only the ends of knitting need weight, but sometimes you need to maybe pull down on the middle after you get a little bit knitted, this helps. It may be hanging up, and getting in the way of the new row knitted. I usually pull the center of the knitting as I go, keep a steady weight on it, esp fairisle, this helps alot. The end weights also need to be moved up as you knit every 30-40 rows.

mmmm, also check all the latches, make sure they flop back and forth easy, you may have a bad needle or two. You can usually save a needle by bending the latch back (right or left) until it flops freely again. Bunching, not knitting and dropping stitches are alot of time due to a bad needle.

Some hairy type yarns give this problem, some yarns with a wrap of a different color yarn, yarn that is too heavy for the machine.
Some machines have brushes on the cam that you flip down when you cast on and for a row or two after, be sure to flip them back up after the first couple rows, they sometimes cause problems.
Also check to make sure your yarn is flowing freely into the cam. Sometimes it loops around and pulls hard, making these symtoms. Yarn needs a steady, soft tension on it to work properly.

When casting on those first few rows are the biggest problem, after that it usually works better. After the cast on, needles are all the way out, knit, pull needles out again, holding back towards the bed the knitted row, this MAKES the needles knit. If you do this the first couple rows it should help.
A blanket is easy, but...it is using alot of needles at one time which can be a challenge. How about a scarf as a first project?
A 28-0-27 ribbed scarf by 500 rows is easy and nice, once you get the ribber going, but before then, how about going 45-0-45 knitting lenght and sewing up a side seam and adding fringe on ends. This would be good for fairisle, or plain knitting, stripes, with the wrong side to the inside, both sides would be pretty.
Hope you can find the problem. I think you are headed in the right direction.
Years ago. I took my first lesson. Everything worked great, then I went home. I could not get the blasted thing to do anything but knot yarn and loop all over. I cried. So do not feel bad. We all have been there, even with someone to show us. You are doing well for doing on your own!
Mollybeebob
Mississauga
Canada

April 23, 2007
1:58 PM

Post #3421851

A couple things. Improper tension for yarn weight. Try going a higher tension, or a lower tension. Knitting bunches, with too high, drops stitches with too low.
Or not weighted properly.

Ann writes: Yep I was checking the tension - thanks all this makes me think I am not so stuiped as I think I am... lol

Usually only the ends of knitting need weight, but sometimes you need to maybe pull down on the middle after you get a little bit knitted, this helps. It may be hanging up, and getting in the way of the new row knitted.

Anns writes: Yep I did that and ialso in the middle of the project as well... and yes I was doing that as well pulling it down and it seemed to work..

I usually pull the center of the knitting as I go, keep a steady weight on it, esp fairisle, this helps alot. The end weights also need to be moved up as you knit every 30-40 rows.

mmmm, also check all the latches, make sure they flop back and forth easy, you may have a bad needle or two. You can usually save a needle by bending the latch back (right or left) until it flops freely again. Bunching, not knitting and dropping stitches are alot of time due to a bad needle.

Ann writes:
Hairy types, that me... yep has a fleck in it... and yes I flipped the brushes

Some hairy type yarns give this problem, some yarns with a wrap of a different color yarn, yarn that is too heavy for the machine.
Some machines have brushes on the cam that you flip down when you cast on and for a row or two after, be sure to flip them back up after the first couple rows, they sometimes cause problems.
Also check to make sure your yarn is flowing freely into the cam. Sometimes it loops around and pulls hard, making these symtoms. Yarn needs a steady, soft tension on it to work properly.

Ann writes: yarn seems to be fine.. and learnt not to catch it on the white wheel

When casting on those first few rows are the biggest problem, after that it usually works better. After the cast on, needles are all the way out, knit, pull needles out again, holding back towards the bed the knitted row, this MAKES the needles knit. If you do this the first couple rows it should help.

Ann writes: explain again... I pull all the needles forward run them over the the cam and then every other one comes forward to do the cast on right. Pull the needles out again where as if your casting on again? "people don't laugh at me"
A blanket is easy, but...it is using alot of needles at one time which can be a challenge. How about a scarf as a first project?

Ann writes - Yes a lot of needles... and there do seem to be two trouble makers together...
A 28-0-27 ribbed scarf by 500 rows is easy and nice, once you get the ribber going, but before then, how about going 45-0-45 knitting lenght and sewing up a side seam and adding fringe on ends. This would be good for fairisle, or plain knitting, stripes, with the wrong side to the inside, both sides would be pretty.
Hope you can find the problem. I think you are headed in the right direction.
Years ago. I took my first lesson. Everything worked great, then I went home. I could not get the blasted thing to do anything but knot yarn and loop all over. I cried. So do not feel bad. We all have been there, even with someone to show us. You are doing well for doing on your own!

Ann writes;;; I did have a laugh at your lesson and then home time... sorry
Do you MSN then again you may not want me to bug you...lol

Dave's Garden
The Needle Arts forum
Back to the top of this thread
Unwatch Thread

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post a reply to this thread:
Your message:

Image:

-

cpartschick

cpartschick
Gladwin, MI
(Zone 5a)

April 23, 2007
5:04 PM

Post #3422472

Ok, now I am confused. Looks like you checked a lot of things, one question was about the pulling out of the needles during the first rows. I do not use the cast on that you are doing. So that is probably why you were confused on that. I was trying to make sure all the needles knit. It is easy to see if they don't, after you knit a bit and can see the needles that look different. If you see one or two that didn't knit, you can just use the needle to knit it manually and fix as you go. This may be in your manual too.
I think you are learning much more than you think, and you are on your way quite well.
I don't MSN, I am on the computer a couple times a day at most to check emails and see what is up here, ck weather etc.
There is so much to the machines, the brushes, buttons, needles, tensioners, dials, you know, that having someone right there to help and see would make a huge difference. It is so hard to try to help without seeing.
It is ok to laugh about my frustrations years ago. I tell you even now, there are some days that machine is better left alone, and some days I can knit a whole sweater in three hours. I don't know if it is the mood of the knitter or the mood of the machine. LOL.
I will keep trying to help if I can and mention things to ck. I wish you luck.
Mollybeebob
Mississauga
Canada

April 24, 2007
8:47 AM

Post #3424768

Thanks so much you don't know how much help you have been... I am still reading and and learning.. I found out a co-worker has been knitting on a machine for years and lives in the next town over... I hope that she will give me a few lessons if and when she has time. You are right it is better to have a live person beside you but you have been great and a big help. Let me see what you have made I'd love to learn from the best...
Have a great day.. by the way I knitt almost half a blanket last night, no problems except that a few stitches did get caught and I looked in the book on how to pull a few rows I was ok going from my right hand across to my left side but did not know how to pull the other row back.. as it turned out they had just caugt on the bigger hooks and I could have released them as I did and continued knitting. Instead I pull the thing off and now don't know how to cast it back on? Oh well I will start again.. but must learn these things and of course the hard way... lol...

cpartschick

cpartschick
Gladwin, MI
(Zone 5a)

April 24, 2007
1:33 PM

Post #3425696

Yes, that is the first thing you learn is how to fix stuff. Knitting is so fast sometimes it is easier to start over.
I used to be pretty good at it years ago. I can't say that I am an expert. I was pretty close to one about 20 some years ago but
I am afraid that I have forgotten most of it, but can still do some fun stuff.I used to have pictures of all my items. I made some really nice stuff in the past, from fancy dresses, pleated skirts, doilys, lace tops, suits, costumes, to 101 small smurfs.
Sounds like you have a good attitude about it, and not letting it get you down. I think someone to help would be great, although sounds like you are really getting it. Keep me posted and I will try to find some stuff to take pictures of.
junee
Las Vegas, NV

April 27, 2007
8:50 AM

Post #3436215

Help. Is there a way to make yarn overs (yo) on knitting machine. I want to duplicate the Ridged Feather Stitch? Making a Christening dress for granddaughter and they moved up the date.

cpartschick

cpartschick
Gladwin, MI
(Zone 5a)

April 27, 2007
12:42 PM

Post #3437015

Yes, I believe so, just by transfering a stitch onto a neighboring needle (2 sts on that needle) and leaving the empty needle in work, knit 2 rows. That is what a lace carriage does automaticly. If your YO is increasing a stitch, you would have to move your work all over one stitch and leave the empty needle in work.

cpartschick

cpartschick
Gladwin, MI
(Zone 5a)

April 27, 2007
1:01 PM

Post #3437087

Ok, I said I would try to send some knitting pictures. I have not taken any pictures this time around, and gave the best stuff away. I dug around the house and found this old tablecloth (from the old days) and a triple silly ski hat that was my daughters.

Thumbnail by cpartschick

cpartschick

cpartschick
Gladwin, MI
(Zone 5a)

April 27, 2007
1:03 PM

Post #3437094

This is a simple suit jacket and shell with crochet trim.

Thumbnail by cpartschick

cpartschick

cpartschick
Gladwin, MI
(Zone 5a)

April 27, 2007
1:07 PM

Post #3437109

Here is the skirt, with slash pockets.
(hanging on top of the jacket, if you are wondering about the arms) :)

Thumbnail by cpartschick

cpartschick

cpartschick
Gladwin, MI
(Zone 5a)

April 27, 2007
1:10 PM

Post #3437118

Here is a super simple sweater, what I call the 3 hour sweater. If everything goes right, that is about how long it takes to make.

Thumbnail by cpartschick

grannymarsh
Marquette, MI
(Zone 5a)

April 29, 2007
12:29 PM

Post #3443792

Your tablecloth is lovely. And so are the other items, but the tablecloth really caught my eye.

cpartschick

cpartschick
Gladwin, MI
(Zone 5a)

April 30, 2007
6:58 AM

Post #3446506

Thank you. The table cloth has a few moth holes in it after all these years that I need to repair. I made it in 3 strips and then crocheted it together with chain links. There is no end to what you can make with a knitting machine, time, and imagination.
Mollybeebob
Mississauga
Canada

December 27, 2007
9:06 PM

Post #4332174

Does anyone out there have any simple baby sweater outfits with hat and booties they would be willing to share with me. I have not been able to get any patterns and not made anything on my machine yet. Please anyone?

cpartschick

cpartschick
Gladwin, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 28, 2007
11:39 AM

Post #4334132

No, I don't have any baby patterns. (wish I did)
I find mostly that making baby or childrens things are just as difficult as making an adult item.
There are the same decreases, shaping etc, and it is tiny and even sometimes harder to do.
I once had a pattern for a little sleeper. It was just an eyelet at the bottom with a cord through to gather, straight knit up and raglan sleeves. A real popeye sweetpea type thing. Cute.

Wish you lived closer. Sure could help you out in making your own patterns, and showing you how to make that machine work.
Would be glad to spend the day with you if you ever got down this way.
Mollybeebob
Mississauga
Canada

December 28, 2007
2:40 PM

Post #4334507

I found a webpage of a person in BC so going to see what they have if anyone is interested I could post the website?

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 19, 2008
6:35 PM

Post #4560426

Don't know how I lost you girls...worked on my sweater sleeves this weekend, oiled the machine and almost tempted to take out my computerized Brother as we'll have a new baby in August..

When I moved somehow all the patterns I had were lost for the baby outfits, will call tonight a girlfriend whom I'm sure I photocopied them for..let's hope..

There is a store in Barrie Ontario, think it's called Barrie Sew and Knit..not sure but think they do repairs..will have to drop by on Friday aft. on my way home providing of course there's no blizzard...

Looking forward to hearing about your knitting endeavors..

I loved doing a raglan sleeve..no sewing..done on fronts and backs..am sure you've done it but if not, let me know and I'll explain how..

cpartschick

cpartschick
Gladwin, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 19, 2008
6:48 PM

Post #4560481

Ha, I was just going to do an upside down raglan. Is that what you are talking about? I haven't done one in years. They are soooo easy to do.

I picked up some really cheap yarn on ebay. (you have to hunt) A 2 lb cone of black with little flecks of color in it for 5 bucks (another 5 in shipping)
It knits like a dream. Made some socks, and a hat and scarf set, just to see how it worked up. DH loves the look of it knitted and I thought I would make him a sweater.
There is enough of this yarn to do whatever I want and can make up a few projects for the sale this summer or the local store I sell my stuff in.

I don't make many baby things on the machine, as they are just as much work as the adult size stuff. I have been hand knitting and crocheting baby things. (that is not more work?, I am kind of crazy sometimes)

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 19, 2008
7:53 PM

Post #4560695

Not sure what the terminology is..but I pick up stitches along the front side of front (let's say I put it on the right side of '0' ) and matching side of the front (on the left side of '0') put all the stitches on hold position..

Then I start putting 1 stitch on each side of the '0' into working position (this will be the most upper part of the sleeve at neck) so I do 2 rows (knit/purl) and each time I put a stitch on each side back into working position until they are all used up the of course I simply reverse the process for knitting the length of the arm..I enjoy this method because I always take the knitting off at the starting of the cuff so I can do it by hand..to me that's how one tells the difference between hand made and machine made...

Will have to check e-bay for discounted wool..

I go from one craft to another..just finished about 2 months of stained glass, now that my Brother is oiled and waiting for use I'll have to find other patterns AND just maybe I'll take out the computer Brother and do baby blankets..need a few...

LOL so off we go onto another venture of knitting...

cpartschick

cpartschick
Gladwin, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 20, 2008
10:58 AM

Post #4563446

I did stained glass many years ago for a while. It was fun.

I have never made a sweater that way, but I have heard about it. The upside down raglan, you start with the back of the sweater at the neck edge (hence the upside down) and you just pull a needle into work every other row (the same side as carriage) Until getting to the underarm.
This makes loops on the side. (you must steam the back before continuing)
Then when you do the sleeves, and when you make a loop, you hook the loop from the back of the sweater on with it as you go. This attaches the two pieces and makes a nice decorative raglan edge. Kind of fun.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 20, 2008
5:29 PM

Post #4564677

It's the best finished raglan you'll ever see...love the process..so quick and now that you've mentioned it, it is called the 'upside down raglan..
jjclark
Vancouver, WA

July 12, 2008
10:58 PM

Post #5248639

I have a brother model KE100 knitting machine that was purchased by my grandmother in May of 1996. She never used it because she broke her leg and passed away shortly after that. I am wondering if anybody could use it or could tell me what it is worth?

This message was edited Jul 12, 2008 3:00 PM

cpartschick

cpartschick
Gladwin, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 13, 2008
10:46 AM

Post #5250648

Sorry to hear about your grandmother.

Not that familiar with a model KE 100. I worked at a place for several years in the '80's that sold brother machines. The last model I am familiar with is a KH960 and the numbers went up from there. Do you have a picture of the machine?
fire_babyj
East Palatka, FL

December 22, 2008
2:26 PM

Post #5918212

HELP! I have a chuncky machine and when I cast on it keeps dropping stiches on the second pass. What am I doing wrong? I want to make wounderful things but cant if I cant get started someone please help me. Thanks.

cpartschick

cpartschick
Gladwin, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 23, 2008
12:08 PM

Post #5921159

Hi there.

The second row is always the tough one. You need weights on the edges, and if your carriage has brushes that can be flipped down for cast on, use them. This should fix your problem.

If that doesn't work, then try using a different type of cast on, or it could be yarn that is not right for the tension. I know when I use too loose a tension, it will do this.

I haven't had a chunky machine in a long time. They can be a lot of fun.

Good luck!!!
fire_babyj
East Palatka, FL

December 25, 2008
9:19 PM

Post #5927750

Thanks for the help I will try it and let you know. I am sure once I get what I am doing wrong then I will be able to knit all kins of things, do you know were I can get some directions on how to knit letters in a diffrent color? A project I want to do is a blanket that says Navy on it in white. Any help would be great seeing I am new at this. Thanks again. Happy Holidays!

cpartschick

cpartschick
Gladwin, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 26, 2008
11:57 AM

Post #5928888

Depends on the machine. Some chunky machines have a punch card to control color patterns, some electronic and some have nothing and the stuff is done manually.

To manually add words or designs, chart what you want on a piece of paper, and put the color on those needles (instead of the main color) each row as you go. You will need to follow your manual. If you do not have one, search the net for an instruction manual for your machine.

There are two ways to manually add color. One way the main color yarn floats behind the contrast color leaving these loops, the other style, you lay the color across the needles using pieces of yarn. This gives a neater look, but it is much more time consuming. If you think about how many rows the name is, it is a small portion of your project and the rest goes so quickly that it is usually not too bad.
fire_babyj
East Palatka, FL

December 26, 2008
11:52 PM

Post #5930827

Ok I have tried the cast on that my manule says to pull all the needles that I am using to the D position then run my carrage empty from left to right. Put the yarn in on the run and pass it back. That works fine I have the yarn hooked like VVVVVVVV the problem comes in when I attempt to make the pass back to the right. if I move fast it hooks some but not all the needles, thus droping the first stich. If I move slow it works in knittin but it is knitting on the pins instead of between them. Do you know anyone in FL that I may be able to contact for additional help? I realy need lots of help. Its very frusterating and dispointing that I have this machine and I can't get it to work.

cpartschick

cpartschick
Gladwin, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 27, 2008
11:49 AM

Post #5932154

Using that cast on, you need to hang a comb type device over the stitches after the first pass. This comb then is weighted. It is not a very good cast on.

Wrapping the needles with the yarn. (carefully not to be too tight) making the small cursive letter "e" is a nice finished cast on.

You select your needles. (start with just a few to learn, 6-8) Bring them all the way out.

Starting at the left, hang on to the end of the yarn in your lap and let the yarn be vertical between the first and second needle, wrap over the top of the first needle and back under to second needle, repeat across. The yarn should look like an e. Then put the yarn in your carriage and knit across. Weight on ends and knit slowly.
This gives a nice finished edge.

I do not know anyone in fla that knits. I am sure there are plenty in your state. The machines were so popular in the 80's and I am sure there are some retired ladies there that could help.
msbarnboss
Highland, MI

January 2, 2009
4:13 PM

Post #5956371

Hi, I am so thrilled I found this site. Cpartschick you have given some really great information. I bought a brothers chunky machine a year ago, not knowing how to use it etc. The lady I bought it from hadn't used it in a long time and had trouble showing me how it worked. We fiddled around for a while and she finally was able to e cast on but when I got it home and set it up I was not able to get it to work. I haven't touched if for a year. Now I'm determined to learn and conquer this e cast on and get going on it. I bought it because I wanted to learn how to machine knit (I cannot hand knit, but that is a whole other story). I have my first dumb question on the machine knitter though. I read that a clean well oiled machine is key but then I read do not use WD40 and do not use sewing machine oil sooooo, what type of oil do you use to oil the knitter.
Then my second question, is there any step by step with pictures which shows e cast on? I know how to get the yarn on the needles, do you flip the little levers closed? When I put the yarn in the carriage do I have to hold it a certain way? It seems like the yarn just gets caught up in the carriage. What position are the needles supposed to be in? Tons of questions I know. I'm just excited to get started again and frustrated that I haven't been able to master e cast on. I know when we were trying it at the other lady's house it took her, her husband and me and we did get it to work once. But if you can't cast on you can't even make dust rags! :)

cpartschick

cpartschick
Gladwin, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 3, 2009
1:04 AM

Post #5958568

Those are a lot of questions. LOL

I will try to answer some. First, oiling is important. I use a spray oil that is like a silicone oil. I found it when I was working in automotive and bought some extra from a supplier. You want something slippery, that will not get sticky and is clear. Wipe off the excess and wipe the bed of the knitting machine as you go. Ck out a hardware or auto parts store and just tell them what you need.

When e wrapping needles, you e wrap the posts, not the hooks. The needles you are using, you put all the way out, wrap the posts by the bed (doesn't matter if the latches are open or closed. I would like to post some pictures, but it may be hard to see, and I haven't had the time to put together a tutorial as I have had to put in quite a bit of OT at work lately and for at least another month. Pictures are on my list of things to do. They may help a few people.

When casting on, you almost always have the brushes down on the carriage for the first row or two.

I do not have a chunky machine anymore, and am trying to remember the differences between that and a reg fine knit machine, so please bear with me.

As far as putting the yarn in the carriage, you need to thread it into the spot, then I usually make sure it is not caught up, then when moving the carriage, I pull the yarn a little to make sure it doesn't get caught in the carriage and flows well. (I also pull any extra loose yarn back to make the tension antennas tighter) If that yarn catches in the carriage or loops it also can mess up the first row.

It is hard to "see" what you all are doing and "show" you with words how I do it.

msbarnboss
Highland, MI

January 3, 2009
2:48 AM

Post #5959068

Cpartschick, thanks for the input, I will try it out in the morning, so you don't even put the yarn in the little hooks then. Hmm, no wonder I was screwing it up. I'll let you know how it goes. I sure hope I can master this e casting so I can get started on learning the rest of the process.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 12, 2011
6:28 PM

Post #8689120

Came across this thread, been some time since last posted on...you girls still knitting with your machines ?
Katlian
Carson City, NV
(Zone 6b)

August 31, 2011
3:51 PM

Post #8787456

I just cam across this thread while searching for something else. I picked up two knitting machines from a thrift shop this past winter and I'm learning how to use them (I'm so glad there are knitters who use YouTube!) One is a Studio 326 with ribber and the other is a plastic bed bulky machine without ribber. I also ended up with a bunch of parts for a Brother ribber (bed, needles, and carriage) but no Brother machine to use it on. The guy at the thrift store really wanted to get rid of them and sold me the whole mess for $60. Fortunately the Studio seems to have all of its parts and the bulky machine is only missing the row counter. Then I lucked out and found several cones of yarn at another thrift store for $2 each.

So far I have produced a few practice swatches, a scarf for my mom using the punchcard, a hooded blanket for a friend's baby shower, and parts for a sweater.

I was able to find some replacement parts on ebay that are being made new in Hong Kong. I think the machines are still used a lot more in asian countries so there are some entrepreneurs making parts for them.

I wish there was someone around here who had a machine and could teach me how use some of the more advanced features like the knit contour and how to make lace.

cpartschick

cpartschick
Gladwin, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 19, 2011
3:03 PM

Post #8815288

Still knitting sometimes. Been MIA here lately due to being busy.

You almost need some hands on training for the advanced stuff. ck around your area for someone that is willing to share or give you a few hours of lessons. It would be worth the in person help.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Needle Arts Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Crochet! celia 23 Nov 21, 2012 4:52 AM
Society Silk Embroidery repair. Jeansgarden 5 Sep 22, 2009 7:28 PM
Hand embroidery MaryinLa 24 May 5, 2009 3:59 PM
Baby rings from 1992 crochet pattern LavinaMae 64 Jul 21, 2014 12:58 PM
Santa Claus mits ViolaAnn 19 May 5, 2011 12:44 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America