Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ginger749

December 4, 2006
1:46 AM

Post #2966177

This was this years Flowers.
Today I dug them all up, so I could split them up.
From the original 10. I now have 200 odd.

Thumbnail by ginger749
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ferrymead
nelson
New Zealand
(Zone 9a)

December 14, 2006
6:22 PM

Post #2998931

Seeing your photo reminded me of the solitary one bulb we had of that plant. It was growing in a pot and bloomed for several years but finally gave up the ghost!
Yours look beautiful under that palm tree. You can certainly make a lovely garden picture with massed plantings of one variety.
ginger749

December 15, 2006
5:01 AM

Post #3000378

Thank you ferrymead
This last week I dug them out.
And got more than 300 good size bulbs.
This Pic is what I got from just one original bulb.
I put 200 back in the original garden.
Should be great next winter.

Thumbnail by ginger749

ginger749

December 16, 2006
8:04 AM

Post #3003266

Another angle of same garden.

Thumbnail by ginger749

ferrymead
nelson
New Zealand
(Zone 9a)

December 18, 2006
2:46 AM

Post #3007724

They look so healthy and great root growth, you obviously feed them well. So rewarding for all your care.
ginger749

December 18, 2006
6:37 PM

Post #3008947

I use Dynamic Lifter.
ferrymead
nelson
New Zealand
(Zone 9a)

December 18, 2006
7:46 PM

Post #3009110

Sure works well.
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 21, 2006
10:33 AM

Post #3015955

Nice bed, charming.

Are there any interesting hippeastrum seed growers in you neck of the woods?

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener

Alistair
Nowra, NSW,
Australia
(Zone 9b)

December 27, 2006
7:11 PM

Post #3028621

ginger749 do you know what Hippeastrum that is? I have seen it in a few old gardens around Sydney - maybe Hippeastrum blossfeldiae???? Its a beautiful plant and not one of the usual (too) big-flowered hybrids!
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

August 9, 2007
11:49 AM

Post #3835747

Yeah ginger, what is it? I have that one too, and Dale, I love the pink hippy! I'm gonna drag these old threads back into the light. Dales probly not about anymore, but I know Ginger will be back

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 10, 2007
9:11 PM

Post #3841641

Yay I second that... I have lots too...the first one I ever owned was given to me as an indoor plant when I knew nothing of gardening ...and it was a nice green indoor plant too for 2/3 years...then I put it outside...ooooh a big flower! loved them ever since but don't know the names of any except the apple blossom. Those hippys look great under the palm tree...very happy.
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

August 12, 2007
11:10 AM

Post #3847110

Hi Chrissy, what colour is yours? I think I have an "Apple blossom" Pink with white stripes? Is this like yours? My sister gave it to me. She lives in Nz where they call them Amaryllis .

Thumbnail by weed_woman

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

August 12, 2007
11:12 AM

Post #3847111

And again

Thumbnail by weed_woman

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

August 12, 2007
11:20 AM

Post #3847117

i got my orange ones like Gingers from the tip where someone had thrown a heap to one side near the green waste dump area. I knew they were hippies but had no Idea what colour, and was pleased to get the orange. I have them in pots and put each pot in a terracotta pot for display when they are flowering.

Thumbnail by weed_woman

ginger749

August 17, 2007
3:01 AM

Post #3866172

Sorry for not answering earlier weed_woman ,
I have been in Papua New Guinea for the past 8 days .
That last Pic. of yours is a beauty .
Your's do look a bit more orange .
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

August 19, 2007
5:35 AM

Post #3873367

Hi Ginger, How was your trip? Did you get to look at anything horticultural? Pics please!
ginger749

August 19, 2007
5:53 AM

Post #3873385

I was Trail Bike riding through the mountains for 5 days .
And the day I was supposed to go to the POM Botanical Gardens .
Michael Somare was put back in power ,
and there were riots and we were confined to our Compound .
I did see this on the ride . Do you know what it is ?

Thumbnail by ginger749

Kaelkitty
Adelaide
Australia
(Zone 10a)

August 19, 2007
11:15 PM

Post #3875699

It is a pregnant female Cycad! LOL! Probably Cycas revoluta, commonly known as the Sago Palm (which I have NEVER understood since it isn't the plant they make sago out of!) Heh! Common names are weird! Cycads are very interesting plants, they are true "living fossils" and have been around longer than the dinosaurs. You need two plants, a male and a female to make seeds, so there must have been a male plant somewhere close to this one. I have 3 cycads in my collection, two C. revoluta and a Zamia furfuracea (AKA Cardboard Palm) but they are all fairly small, so it will be a long time before I see a display like this one! KK.

PS Bummer about the holiday ginger!
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

August 20, 2007
12:43 AM

Post #3875957

Awwwww! Done it again. Must send post before navigating away. (Looked at the pic again) I thought it was a Cycad too, but maybe a different species, only because I haven't seen the seeds below the foliage, and there is no Fluff. The seeds are also usually Orange, but perhaps these have been on the plant for sometime and the seeds have lost their orange coating, the Fluff has flown and new leaves have grown?

Thumbnail by weed_woman

ginger749

August 20, 2007
1:27 AM

Post #3876115

Thank you Kaelkitty & weed_woman ,
I posted the same pics on ( Plant Identification: )
On Daves Garden .

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/761676/

And yes I got a perfect ID .
Here is the link to the sp: http://images.google.com/images?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLG,GGLG:2005-28,GGLG:en&q=cycas media&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi

Here is another Pic. of a younger Plant / Plant's .

Thumbnail by ginger749

ginger749

August 21, 2007
3:07 AM

Post #3880514

Don't know about the rest of you Ozzie's ,
But I'm getting Lots & Lots of Rain .
Rain Beautiful Rain XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
All my tanks are full and I'm up to 135 mm in 1 1/2 days .
I have been weeding in the rain , I guess I'll have to mow soon .
Hope every one else is getting some . Wink Wink .
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

August 21, 2007
5:32 AM

Post #3880873

Hi Ginger, yes we're having lots 'n' lots of rain too. The dam is overflowing, the pool is overflowing, the tank is overflowing, the wheelbarrow is overflowing. I looked at the rain guage this morning and it was full to the brim, so in 24 hours we got over 160mm.
Enough is enough!

Thumbnail by weed_woman

ginger749

August 21, 2007
5:50 AM

Post #3880905

I think it will take a lot more to fill the Brisvegas Dams .
There are 3 Big Dams and they are down to 17% full / empty .
I have been mulching for 2 weeks now .
This will help no end . I'm going out to take a Pic now .
ginger749

August 21, 2007
6:05 AM

Post #3880918

Here Tis .
Cannas love it ,
And the Gingers do also .

Thumbnail by ginger749

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

August 22, 2007
8:46 AM

Post #3885126

Geeze Ginger, your paw paws are happening! Is that Trachelospermum tricolour (?)
hanging over the top of the tyres? With what are you mulching you garden? I've been using hardwood chip in the big tree and shrub areas, and sugarcane trash and hay mulch in the vege beds and the annual and perrenial display beds.
We had a break in the clouds today, just enough for me to get out and plant the Magnolia I bought last thursday, the Cape Vigilia I bought about 8 weeks ago and the snap dragons and Allysum I bought sunday just gone. Well, I've still got some snappy and alllysum to go, but they'll keep.
How much did your Macrozamia look like a date palm? That was my first thought, but I couldn't see any spines. I think it also looks alot like a Burrawang? Doh! I just looked up the names for the spelling and found out the Macrozamia is a burrawang! Well, I'm almost smarter than I thought! LOL
ginger749

August 22, 2007
9:11 AM

Post #3885137

Hi weed_woman ,
We call them Track Jazz .
So you are right .

The Paw Paw is a New Guinea Red .
I'll post up another Pic for your enjoyment .

Thumbnail by ginger749

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 22, 2007
9:22 AM

Post #3885143

Love your garden Ginger...it sure as heck must be warmer up your way than here...we are freezing our tootsies off...looks like you are having a lot of fun! :)
ginger749

August 22, 2007
9:38 AM

Post #3885155

I never complain about rain .
My Large dam is still not full .

It's like other things in life , wink wink
You can never get enough . lol
ginger749

August 23, 2007
5:46 PM

Post #3890983

Just changing the subject .
A novel way of crossing a swollen river .
And yes , there are Crocks in here .
But only 4 ft long . ( freshies )

Thumbnail by ginger749

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

August 23, 2007
9:05 PM

Post #3891612

So is that your riding/holiday mate swimming for his life? (while you stand by with camera at the ready, shouting, "Faster, faster, its gonna get ya"?)
ginger749

August 23, 2007
10:13 PM

Post #3891887

You bet ya . :o))
That day we didn't see any .
But other days we did .
The KOKODA TRAIL starts 4 Kilometres from this exact spot .
This was all four of us later in the day .

Thumbnail by ginger749

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 24, 2007
12:20 AM

Post #3892319

Oh my goodness!!!!!
ginger749

August 24, 2007
12:35 AM

Post #3892362

This was # 2 bike across the River . ( The Laloki River )

Thumbnail by ginger749

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 24, 2007
9:52 PM

Post #3896369

Did you have time to take pics of any interesting plants (mid floods ...fighting off crocs etc? (Whew!)
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

August 25, 2007
9:34 AM

Post #3898045

Very nice pics Ginger. Hubby says they are definitely trials bikes and wants to know why you were riding them? Were there any Bultacos amongst them?
ginger749

August 25, 2007
11:01 AM

Post #3898100

Quoting:Hubby says they are definitely trials bikes and wants to know why you were riding them?

The answer is Adventure . The same reason I Climb Mountains .
I always rode a Bultaco Sherpa T .
Owned 4 of them in 3 years , all in PNG '70 - '74 .

Thumbnail by ginger749

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

August 26, 2007
7:41 AM

Post #3901106

Hubby thinks he's a know-it-all and reckons your last pic might be Alpina. He's a Bultaco fan and is always on the lookout for more! He races them in vintage motorcross on occassion and does fairly well. I, on the other hand, am a fair weather rider, and as the day was soooooo nice, we rode out to Nana Glen (Kooka cafe) for a mugacino and scones (only 25 minutes from home on country roads. I ride like an old mole, (says hubby) and cruised about at 90k so I could look about and take it all in. Our poor old bikes in need of some love and attention though. Now the weather is warming up I'm sure we'll get out on them a bit more.
Note in the pic, the corrugated iron kooka against the tree.

Thumbnail by weed_woman

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

September 24, 2007
2:25 AM

Post #4010261

The Hippies are back!

Thumbnail by weed_woman

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 24, 2007
3:21 AM

Post #4010475

Beautiful! mine are not... yet ...still a bit cold.
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

September 30, 2007
10:39 AM

Post #4032837

The pink ones are out now too!

Thumbnail by weed_woman

Degarotty
North Ipswich, Qld
Australia

October 8, 2007
7:32 AM

Post #4060101

Hey Ginger,
Where do the seeds grow on the Hippies?

Is it the stem that comes out between the pollination buds??

If anyone can answer this I would be grateful and can you self-pollinate two different colours?????

Thanks my friends,

Debi

Thumbnail by Degarotty

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

October 8, 2007
8:22 AM

Post #4060116

I think, when the flower bud drops off, the bit at the top of the stem (Receptacle or Ovary) swells, and this contains the seed. Mine were black, flat and papery. I never planted them, as its much quicker to get new plants by seperating the bulbs. You can self polinate them, but you never know what you'll get. It could still be the same as either parent, or totally different. I've seen the experts use a paint brush to brush the pollen on the stigma. I haven't studied a hippeastrium flower though and don't know if its bisexual (both male and female parts in one flower), also it may already be pollinated by other flowers around it, or on the same stem. It's interesting though, and gave me a good reason to look in my botany notes and refresh my memory. Thanks Debi!
Sue
Degarotty
North Ipswich, Qld
Australia

October 8, 2007
8:31 AM

Post #4060119

Hey Sue,
How are Babe?

Have your hippies ever got a whitish (fungus?) down in the bottom between the leaves??

If so, what is it and does it do damage to the plant? I have had only two with this and the leaves seemed to have grown in a silly shape??????

Thanks my friend,

Debi

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 8, 2007
8:57 AM

Post #4060127

That fungus does not sound good...Hope you can save it ...Never had such a problem ...they just grow like weeds...make sure the bulb is up high enough out of the ground...they like the sun to bake on the bulb...good luck with them
Degarotty
North Ipswich, Qld
Australia

October 8, 2007
9:02 AM

Post #4060130

Hi Chrissy,

Thanks mate.

If they are not high enough can you dig them out and replant them?

Also, I am getting more bulbs coming up, how do I cull them without hurting the other close plants??

Thanks Chrissy,

Debi

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 8, 2007
11:54 AM

Post #4060285

Try just moving the dirt out from around the necks ...just gently move it and scrape it away with your fingers...see how you go with that.
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

October 8, 2007
8:52 PM

Post #4062164

Hi Debi and Chrissy. Debi, If you want to get rid of some bulbs, but not hurt surrounding plants, try gouging out the bulb with a sharp knife. If you want to save the bulbs, I suggest waiting till the flowers finish and the vegetation dies back a bit, probly winter, and try levering them out with a trowel, of course, trying not to damage the bulbs too much, or dig the whole clump, and seperate them, but it depends how close your other plants are.Your white fungus could be Mealy bug, usually caused by damp and humid conditions. It could be as Chrissy says, that the bulb is too low. You should definitely be able to see the neck of it. Mealy bug are sap suckers and do cause deformed leaves. I have made a decision to sacrifice a flower and go and cut one up for the sake of science!
Sue

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 8, 2007
9:15 PM

Post #4062236

Morning everyone looks like a good day coming up...hope it is a good one for you all ...despite the wicked winds I have a lot of baby fruit this year so ...I am happy!...I thought it would all have been blown away but as it stands the winds have thinned the fruit nicely...saved me a lot of work!:)
Have a good one!
chrissy
Degarotty
North Ipswich, Qld
Australia

December 28, 2007
4:32 AM

Post #4333801

Sue,

How did your flower sacrifice projest go?
Did you learn anything that you did not know?

I am, at the moment potting hippy seeds, that were put in water and a dark space, I have so many seeds with between 1in to 3 inches long... I had forgotten they were there until I found them this morning.

This Project happenned by accident, but...

I had my lovely Red Hippies and when I got a bunch of flowers given to me, I thought it had a Hippy in it, a beautiful Orange and some black dots.

So, I decided to cross polinate myself with the two colours and about a week later, I found out that "it" was a Lily I had cross polinated.

So, it will be interesting to see what this flower will look like????

But, I succeeded in getting some to grow (so far) my first time.

Have a great New Year Everyone, safe as well,

Debi
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

December 28, 2007
9:18 AM

Post #4334041

So Debi, are you saying you got your lilies to grow from seed, or your hippies? I wrote all the info down about my hippy flowers, but can't find it right now. It was interesting though! I have pink and red seeds that I will try to grow, but believe it is much faster to grow from the new bulbs produced after flowering, but hey, I like experimenting.
Thanks again for the cutie xmas card. Very nice.
Sue
Degarotty
North Ipswich, Qld
Australia

December 29, 2007
6:28 AM

Post #4337168

Hey Sue,

No, my Hippies I planted as grown plants, then when they flowered I collected the seeds, after pollinating with a Lily (Der), lol.

My hippy colour was a beautiful red with a little white in the middle. I just wondered to myself if I could self pollinate them. So that's what I did but with a lily, being new to them I got them mixed as being the same.

I am excited to see if the colour will be different. I have heaps of these seeds that I have not tryed to get going yet, so if you are interested in some, I will post some down to you, no problems. I have heaps, if anyone would like to try them, please send me your address through D-Mail and I will get some in the post for you.

I understand that it may take up to 18mths to flower, but hopefully it will be worth it.
Yes, it is quicker if you have a mature plant but this is just a trial for me to learn more about plants.

Have a great New Year Everyone and a safeone also.

Your friend,

Debi

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Australian and New Zealand Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the new Australian Gardening forum Terry 28 Oct 21, 2009 10:20 AM
Where are you in AU . holty 218 Jan 22, 2014 3:49 PM
soap tree aka 'Sapindus Mukorossis' is it available in aus'? gardenlen 15 Jul 18, 2013 2:22 AM
bromeliad-blanchetiana ? boofhead 7 Dec 30, 2011 7:42 PM
What you don`t want to see in your garden. ginger749 93 Sep 5, 2007 9:05 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America