-
AuthorContent
rcn48
Lexington, VA
(Zone 6a)

December 4, 2006
10:24 AM

Post #2966836

My son-in-law is a huge Red Sox fan and my daughter suggested that I might want to knit him a special Christmas stocking :) Looked quickly for a pattern and have found a few with the white toe and heel that mimic the Red Sox logo, but wondering if anyone has suggestions or seen any patterns that I could use?

Thanks for any help, advice or suggestions,

Debbie
kaymcd
Lake George, NY

September 29, 2009
12:25 PM

Post #7115829

Did you ever find a pattern for the Red Sox stocking?
rcn48
Lexington, VA
(Zone 6a)

September 29, 2009
5:40 PM

Post #7116768

Gosh, this is an OLD thread, had forgotten all about it! Nope, never found a pattern, I just went ahead and experimented. Definitely not a "masterpiece" but my son-in-law really appreciated my efforts:) I should have a picture of it kicking around somewhere and if I find it I'll post a pic.
rcn48
Lexington, VA
(Zone 6a)

November 29, 2009
5:45 AM

Post #7318041

I am so sorry - I totally forgot about looking for the photo of the stocking I made until recently :( Better late than never - here it is! I remember it was a last minute decision to make this up for my son in law and although I had some experience knitting I had never knit any socks. This is the pattern that got me started: http://www.canadianliving.com/crafts/knitting/holiday_stockings.php I knew there was no way I would be able to figure out how to "knit" a baseball so I "borrowed" the Red Sox logo, printed it on an iron on transfer and used thick interfacing material to give the baseball a textured feel. My grandmother had knit Christmas stockings for my children years ago and my daughter wanted one for her husband to match hers :)

Thumbnail by rcn48
Click the image for an enlarged view.

rcn48
Lexington, VA
(Zone 6a)

November 29, 2009
5:50 AM

Post #7318046

Kind of blurry but this is the close up of the baseball - I decided to make it look like a Christmas ornament. I found the blue ribbon at Walmart and even though it wasn't very "Christmasy" it looked like Red Sox colors and I thought the white stitching fit the theme. I embroidered all the seams of the baseball with red to simulate the red stitches of a baseball :)

Thumbnail by rcn48

rcn48
Lexington, VA
(Zone 6a)

November 29, 2009
6:00 AM

Post #7318054

It looked pretty plain so to give it a little more holiday spirit I added some sprigs of holly. I was looking for round red buttons to use for the berries and was pleasantly surprised to find a package of sports-themed buttons at Walmart so used the "baseballs" for the "berries"! You can also see in this picture that I took the easy way out - instead of figuring out to knit his name into the stocking, I just embroidered it on :)

Again, I'm sorry it took me so long but I hope this helps. If you have any other questions just let me know! I actually still have the Red Sox image and if you wanted to try using the iron on transfer method I could send you the photo :)

Thumbnail by rcn48

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Needle Arts Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Crochet! celia 23 Nov 21, 2012 4:52 AM
Society Silk Embroidery repair. Jeansgarden 5 Sep 22, 2009 7:28 PM
Hand embroidery MaryinLa 24 May 5, 2009 3:59 PM
Baby rings from 1992 crochet pattern LavinaMae 62 Apr 8, 2014 9:17 AM
Santa Claus mits ViolaAnn 19 May 5, 2011 12:44 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America