Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Needle Arts: Pattern for "Red Sox" Christmas Stocking

Communities > Forums > Needle Arts
bookmark
Forum: Needle ArtsReplies: 5, Views: 73
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
rcn48
Lexington, VA
(Zone 6a)

December 4, 2006
10:24 AM

Post #2966836

My son-in-law is a huge Red Sox fan and my daughter suggested that I might want to knit him a special Christmas stocking :) Looked quickly for a pattern and have found a few with the white toe and heel that mimic the Red Sox logo, but wondering if anyone has suggestions or seen any patterns that I could use?

Thanks for any help, advice or suggestions,

Debbie
kaymcd
Lake George, NY

September 29, 2009
12:25 PM

Post #7115829

Did you ever find a pattern for the Red Sox stocking?
rcn48
Lexington, VA
(Zone 6a)

September 29, 2009
5:40 PM

Post #7116768

Gosh, this is an OLD thread, had forgotten all about it! Nope, never found a pattern, I just went ahead and experimented. Definitely not a "masterpiece" but my son-in-law really appreciated my efforts:) I should have a picture of it kicking around somewhere and if I find it I'll post a pic.
rcn48
Lexington, VA
(Zone 6a)

November 29, 2009
5:45 AM

Post #7318041

I am so sorry - I totally forgot about looking for the photo of the stocking I made until recently :( Better late than never - here it is! I remember it was a last minute decision to make this up for my son in law and although I had some experience knitting I had never knit any socks. This is the pattern that got me started: http://www.canadianliving.com/crafts/knitting/holiday_stockings.php I knew there was no way I would be able to figure out how to "knit" a baseball so I "borrowed" the Red Sox logo, printed it on an iron on transfer and used thick interfacing material to give the baseball a textured feel. My grandmother had knit Christmas stockings for my children years ago and my daughter wanted one for her husband to match hers :)

Thumbnail by rcn48
Click the image for an enlarged view.

rcn48
Lexington, VA
(Zone 6a)

November 29, 2009
5:50 AM

Post #7318046

Kind of blurry but this is the close up of the baseball - I decided to make it look like a Christmas ornament. I found the blue ribbon at Walmart and even though it wasn't very "Christmasy" it looked like Red Sox colors and I thought the white stitching fit the theme. I embroidered all the seams of the baseball with red to simulate the red stitches of a baseball :)

Thumbnail by rcn48

rcn48
Lexington, VA
(Zone 6a)

November 29, 2009
6:00 AM

Post #7318054

It looked pretty plain so to give it a little more holiday spirit I added some sprigs of holly. I was looking for round red buttons to use for the berries and was pleasantly surprised to find a package of sports-themed buttons at Walmart so used the "baseballs" for the "berries"! You can also see in this picture that I took the easy way out - instead of figuring out to knit his name into the stocking, I just embroidered it on :)

Again, I'm sorry it took me so long but I hope this helps. If you have any other questions just let me know! I actually still have the Red Sox image and if you wanted to try using the iron on transfer method I could send you the photo :)

Thumbnail by rcn48

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Needle Arts Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Crochet! celia 23 Nov 21, 2012 4:52 AM
Society Silk Embroidery repair. Jeansgarden 5 Sep 22, 2009 7:28 PM
Hand embroidery MaryinLa 24 May 5, 2009 3:59 PM
Baby rings from 1992 crochet pattern LavinaMae 64 Jul 21, 2014 12:58 PM
Santa Claus mits ViolaAnn 19 May 5, 2011 12:44 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America