Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
BrokenGeiger
Redmond, WA

December 5, 2006
12:42 AM

Post #2969087

I finished putting down my bamboo flooring a year or two back - before putting the floor down I found all the squeaks and screwed all the loose boards down.

A few months ago I found three more spots that I should have caught, now getting on my nerves - however the hardwoods already down. The bamboo is T&G and stapled so for those two spots I was thinking of drilling through in 2-3 spots for each repair area then put the screw down then plug the hole with wood putty - then repair the sealant there.

#1 i'm certain I won't find putty to match
#2 i'm not certain if this is the best way to go as I do not have access from underneath to countersink anything

claypa
West Pottsgrove, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 5, 2006
12:51 AM

Post #2969130

Maybe you can squirt some glue in there, too.
You can hide the screw holes with wooden plugs. Maybe you can make some out of scrap bamboo to match. It doesn't have to match, though.
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

December 5, 2006
5:54 PM

Post #2971143

There are "headless" screws made for this. They use a square drive. Leaves a very small hole to fill.

There are color match sticks available from most flooring companies. Perhaps an artists brush and some clear Varathane to seal over the filler would produce a surface that would last and be easy to clean.
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

January 17, 2007
4:20 AM

Post #3092113

Is there an update to your problem? I am interested to know as I can't stand a squeaky wood floor either.

Also...I heard of using bamboo as a wood floor the other day but can't say I've ever seen one? Can you post a picture of this?
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

January 17, 2007
2:31 PM

Post #3092975

Tir,
Most of the flooring stores in Houston have part of their showroom done in Bamboo. It is so hard that it cannot be stained - they use flame to stain it.

It is what DW and I want - remove all the @#$%^ wall to wall carpet - and replace with Bamboo and tile. Just a matter of running out of "on coming trains" that empty the budget.
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

January 17, 2007
4:15 PM

Post #3093331

Thanks Bubba! I know what you mean about not wanting carpet Do you have pets as well? I have 2 cats so it is nice that you don't see the dust bunnies rolling across a hard floor. But most the first floor is large tiles. SOOOOO cold and hard on the feet...I'd love some wood!
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

January 17, 2007
4:29 PM

Post #3093382

2 cats and until recently 2 dogs. New bagless picks up so much dust - amazing.

Our house was a "spec" house and the builder went broke. Saving & Loan "finished" it and created a mortgage for it. Upstairs, the carpet installers did NOT even sweep, so we have pieces of sheet rock, etc. under it. They even did WTW in the master bath - nice and soft, but we really don't want full carpet there. Not sure if they really attached the top floor to the subfloor - lots of squeaks.

I can fix the floor (got the woodworking tools and know how to use them), but need to chose which battles to fight first.

Oh well, poco a poco. (little by little)
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 18, 2007
1:57 AM

Post #3095287

Good Luck Bubba!!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Home Repairs and Maintenance Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to Home Repairs & Maintenance Terry 17 Jul 14, 2011 1:42 AM
hiring help roxroe 16 Mar 27, 2007 9:04 AM
I hated trimming the grass along the fence jleec 15 Jun 6, 2011 6:47 AM
Hi! I'm new but have 2 questions Illoquin 7 Apr 5, 2007 6:48 PM
Eeek... mice! dreamingofeden 10 Mar 15, 2009 10:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America