Photo by Melody

Amaryllis and Hippeastrums: Am I Minerva?

Communities > Forums > Amaryllis and Hippeastrums
bookmark
Forum: Amaryllis and HippeastrumsReplies: 37, Views: 282
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
boojum
Shelburne Falls, MA
(Zone 5a)

December 5, 2006
11:04 PM

Post #2972020

Just bought it at HD. They had flooded it, planted it too deep and thrown wet sphagnum on top. I had to save it. It's redder than some pics I've seen on line. Is it Minerva?

Thumbnail by boojum
Click the image for an enlarged view.

tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

December 5, 2006
11:15 PM

Post #2972055

You may be! Here's my Minerva, posted by accident in the orchid fprum a few days ago...

Thumbnail by tommyr2006

boojum
Shelburne Falls, MA
(Zone 5a)

December 6, 2006
2:22 AM

Post #2972641

It looks more orange than mine. Maybe hard to photo the true color. Is it a crimson color? I was hoping you'd stop in, Tom. I started that thread! Confused the heck outa some of the orchid folks but they took it in stride.
raydio
Bessemer City, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 6, 2006
8:13 AM

Post #2973094

Boojie~

I don't think you have Minerva there. Minerva *is* more orangey-red and your flower is a good true red.

I have searched my files and the net and have ruled out several other look-alikes for various reasons: Piquant, Mambo, Cocktail and Prelude.

I think you have a unnamed hybrid that has come from the cut-flower trade or culled from trial fields or from a grower who got a "good deal on some red and white amaryllis bulbs". Your plant looks like the one(s) called "Red and White" that are a common passalong in the deep south. Some unscrupulous growers will incorrectly tag a plant with a recognized name to take advantage of the power of name recognition, when it really isn't the hybrid at all. And sometimes they are just sold without a name and because they are pretty and might look close enough to a well-known hybrid, they are bought and resold.

Sometimes a grower delivering an order of plants will be carrying extra plants that a local HD buyer might purchase for their location alone or maybe several in a certain market are might get them and other HDs won't have them. Since HD deals with so many growers, there would be opportunities for non-commercial - non-Dutch hybrids to come in from relatively small growers as well as major ones. Where they got the bulbs, who can say!

True registered hybrids still fetch a good price for Dutch growers and it seems unlikely that HD and other home improvement stores and discount houses could sell them as inexpensively as they do if they were "the real thing".

If the price is right for HD and others, they'll take it whatever it's called and never question it.

Robert.

kniphofia
Morpeth
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

December 6, 2006
12:53 PM

Post #2973396

I agree with Robert, it's definitely not Minerva. Pretty though!
JanetS
Braselton, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 6, 2006
1:42 PM

Post #2973512

Here is my Minerva

Thumbnail by JanetS

raydio
Bessemer City, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 6, 2006
4:46 PM

Post #2974149

It is a pretty one and worth growing.

And who knows, it might be an already named hybrid that I don't know due to being an "enthusiast" and not an expert. And if it sells well and people ask for it repeatedly, it could enter the market under a new name, registered or not.

There are more red and white stripey ones that have a more or less similar veiny look that I didn't mention: Star of Holland (Ster van Holland), Clown, Cinderella, and Blazing Star and some that aren't so close such as: Bright Star, Voodoo, Ackermanii, Razzle Dazzle, Prins Carnival, Sydney, and Toronto.

And I'm sure there are others that may not be presently marketed.

Robert.

boojum
Shelburne Falls, MA
(Zone 5a)

December 6, 2006
5:10 PM

Post #2974213

Very interesting Robert!!
I was in a farm and garden today buying a new tall pot for this one (I love taller than average terracotta pots) and they had boxes hipps and one of the pics looked awfully familiar! If it's a named one, I think it may be Cinderella.
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

December 7, 2006
10:26 AM

Post #2977044

You're right Boojum, your's is more pink, mine is more orange.

Tom
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

December 7, 2006
12:31 PM

Post #2977313

Look at Minerva on this site, you will have to go to the 'bulbs' and then 'Lilies and Woodland bulbs' to get Hippeastrum.

http://www.rvroger.co.uk/

To me it looks more like Tom's. but then is this one correct?
raydio
Bessemer City, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 7, 2006
3:15 PM

Post #2977832

I vote "no" on RV Rogers' Minerva and an even bigger NO to their Rilona and Solomon. Just my NSHO.
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

December 7, 2006
3:22 PM

Post #2977873

I thought the same, also about Rilona (I had it) and Solomon, so what are they doing??
raydio
Bessemer City, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 7, 2006
3:26 PM

Post #2977889

Maybe the Rilona and Solomon are "tailored" to the market in GB?

Do you have their Rilona or one that is what I think of as Rilona with no white in the center?
raydio
Bessemer City, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 7, 2006
3:29 PM

Post #2977913

I take back my snub of Solomon. Looks fine to me.

Humble apologies.
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

December 7, 2006
3:39 PM

Post #2977969

My Rilona I had a few years ago, it didn't have the white centre, it rotted over summer. I have seen it elsewhere here and it doesn't look like that, perhaps they will sell the correct bulb but have got the wrong photo!

Solomon does look like the ones on the PBS and IBS, perhaps the ones I have seen of it weren't correct, or poor pics! It looks more salmon pinkish-orange and more rounded than I have seen.

http://aolsearch.aol.co.uk/image?query=%27hippeastrum+solomon%27
raydio
Bessemer City, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 7, 2006
3:43 PM

Post #2977984

Maybe they could call it "Improved Solomon" if people really like the white blotch of Solomon proper and want more of that feature...
raydio
Bessemer City, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 7, 2006
4:15 PM

Post #2978115

The Pink Floyd picture looks like Ruby Meyer. Certainly a posting error.
raydio
Bessemer City, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 7, 2006
4:54 PM

Post #2978249

RV Roger's Picotee doesn't have any...
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

December 7, 2006
7:59 PM

Post #2978888

Oh dear! And I was waiting for their new most spectacular selections, already growing, oh well it will save the money I don't have! I need to look closer...some of their pics don't look like catalogue pics, I wonder if they are their own? I had noticed the non picotee too, but think that pic is the wrong one, it doesn't even look close.

Could be Wedding Dance?

http://www.krischanphoto.com/gardens/hippeastrum/hippeastrum2.htm
raydio
Bessemer City, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 7, 2006
8:09 PM

Post #2978930

It might well be that one.

There are so many similar-looking Hippis and so many questionable pictures out there, that I have difficulty learning to recognize a hybrid by its look, not even taking in the variability of them. It's the same old issue we keep coming back to when we discover differences in the look of a named bulb.

Same questions we try to answer but can't say much with once-and-for-all conviction.

I think some of the named cultivars *must* be seed-grown from a reliable cross and that will natural allow many differences to come in and all can be "legally and morally" called by the registered name.

Perhaps the holder to the propagation rights couldn't care less if there are people selling bulbs by the name they hold the rights to, so there you go seeing so many looks with only one name.

I wish the registering organization would post a galley of exemplary specimens as a sort of international database for all of us with these questions.

I would sing and dance!
raydio
Bessemer City, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 7, 2006
8:25 PM

Post #2978978

(I'm not going to say anything about 'Cocktail' on krishanphoto...)
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

December 7, 2006
8:30 PM

Post #2978999

There is a US site with many on, it was on your thread 'striatum'. So many from all over the place it would be difficult to catch up with all the so-called ones, like this site copying the Royal Colors format

http://www.amaryllis.com/

I found that on a link off a link, look at their Picotee, questionably hardly Picoteed, it almost looks drawn in.

raydio
Bessemer City, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 7, 2006
8:39 PM

Post #2979020

I was looking at rvroger's 'Unique' which looks to me like a good 'Lady Jane'.

I have a pic by Irinka that I thought was on PBSWiki that show a very different look for Unique aand actually resembles JanetS' mystery Hippi at http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/667294/.

Don't think I should post Irinka's picture here...
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

December 7, 2006
8:53 PM

Post #2979066

Which all goes to show I should, 'if' i wish to buy any at all, stick with guys like Royal Colors 'if' theirs should happen to be correct!
raydio
Bessemer City, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 7, 2006
8:57 PM

Post #2979087

I would trust Royal Colors before some others.

And at those prices, they had better do me good, should I ever be able to afford them, lol.
JanetS
Braselton, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 8, 2006
3:40 PM

Post #2981690

I actually believe my "mystery" one is Double Queen...someone had posted that possibility on that thread...I love the White One..."Wedding Dance", that is beautiful!
raydio
Bessemer City, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 8, 2006
4:30 PM

Post #2981864

I agree, I think you've got Double Queen there. The RVRoger's Unique is different by having red markings in the throat.
JanetS
Braselton, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 8, 2006
7:05 PM

Post #2982347

Yeah, I think it looks almost exactly like other pics I have seen of Double Queen...it sure did bloom out beautifully...my first double!
raydio
Bessemer City, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 8, 2006
7:15 PM

Post #2982371

{applause}
JanetS
Braselton, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 8, 2006
7:23 PM

Post #2982404

thanks!
boojum
Shelburne Falls, MA
(Zone 5a)

December 8, 2006
8:03 PM

Post #2982557

Here's some more pics of my mystery hipp.

Thumbnail by boojum

boojum
Shelburne Falls, MA
(Zone 5a)

December 8, 2006
8:06 PM

Post #2982565

I"m not a fan of double flowers, but I do love Double Queen and Dancing Queen.

Here's another, see how scarlet red it is?

Thumbnail by boojum

raydio
Bessemer City, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 8, 2006
8:09 PM

Post #2982571

I love the true red look of whatever-it-is. The veins are very nice and the open form lets you see them well-displayed.

Hope you can discover what it is.

I would call it 'Miss O'Hara', lol.

Robert.
HSteacher
Mobile, AL

May 13, 2007
6:08 PM

Post #3493310

Boojum,

Is it possible that your unknown from Home Depot is Gilmar?

Just a thought... I purchased mine as a potted plant from Walmart this spring.

Ann

Thumbnail by HSteacher

boojum
Shelburne Falls, MA
(Zone 5a)

May 13, 2007
9:45 PM

Post #3493835

Is it red without any orange tone? I had decided it was Cocktail.
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.amaryllis.st/sortiment/Cocktail.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.amaryllis.st/sortiment/sortiment.htm&h=900&w=494&sz=63&hl=en&start=9&um=1&tbnid=3O0OaT8802U93M:&tbnh=146&tbnw=80&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dhippeastrum%2Bcocktail%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26c2coff%3D1%26rlz%3D1T4SUNA_en___US210%26sa%3DN
HSteacher
Mobile, AL

May 14, 2007
12:14 AM

Post #3494238

Deep, dark red, no orange...

I have Cocktail also, but the blooms were rather pitiful. I can tell you more next year, if that bulb survives.

I think that Gilmar has more of those 'veins'...

Doesn't this just drive you nuts?

Ann
bsharf
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 14, 2007
10:14 AM

Post #3495336

I also got a Gilmar as an unlabeled "red & white" potted amaryllis from Walmart this spring. Walmart must have had a huge order of them, since they were sold in FL, AL, and MA. Your photo looks like Gilmar.

This message was edited May 14, 2007 6:15 AM
boojum
Shelburne Falls, MA
(Zone 5a)

May 14, 2007
12:40 PM

Post #3495622

Guess I'll hafta change the label! Yes, this drives me nuts. If it was sold to Walmart, it would be very likely that HD would get it from the same supplier.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Amaryllis and Hippeastrums Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hippeastrum johnsonii Lenjo 9 Oct 31, 2008 9:15 PM
Amaryllis question JoleneS 15 Nov 30, 2007 7:35 AM
Hippeastrum papilio x evansiae seedlings rrog2001 16 Feb 23, 2012 7:47 PM
Mexican AMARYLLIS Sprekelia Riverland 17 May 20, 2007 7:21 PM
Red Staining in Hippeastrums an anti-fungal? raydio 21 Dec 20, 2007 3:09 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America