Dave, it is all YOUR fault!!

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

Well,not really, but DH caught the new tractor bug! He left this morning with a gleam in his eye, heading to John Deere... I told him he can't come home with one unless he gets the tiller disks' to go with it. I want to make a big ole' garden to sell my goodies. Looks like I'll be leaning on the market forum for advice....Lord help me...We are stepping out on faith here, ya'll say a prayer for our new venture. He also has a couple of bush-hogging jobs lined up, hopefully lots more..LOTS... Mr. Bud, I'll be leaning on your wisdom here and the market forum..So Dave and Trish, just as I get to watch ya'll grow, ya'll can watch us grow! Gosh, I hope we are doing the right thing.. Bye,Lisa

You're going through the same emotions that we are. Oh dear, I'm worried enough about making this work for my family, nor I have to worry about others who are influenced by me. ;-)

Seriously, welcome to my world. We stepped out on faith last summer when we made the decision to move from Atlanta to a farm in East TN and try to make our living off the land. So far I'm thrilled with our decision, but we haven't produced anything marketable yet. The real test comes when the summer gets along and we actually (hopefully) have produce to sell. We've got to sell successfully!!

We're going to be patient, though, and we realize that it's going to take a while to get into a groove. I'm expecting this year to be mostly a learning and experimenting year, and next year will be the big selling year.

I've got many many many ideas on how to make our farm produce revenue, and will be trying them all out this year. Trish is going to make crafts, I'll maybe make stuff to sell (trellises, etc). I want to sell produce and plants, as well as seed next winter/spring. That's mostly the reason why I wanted to get that journal done so nicely, so I could track every single thing I did and learn from my mistakes.

Anyway, good luck! I'll also be leaning on the market growers forum for help.

Dave

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

My hubbys family have a nursery n produce shop in alpena-they grow alot of the produce down here in bay city. I use to work there-i tossed huge pumpkins into the semi-id proably die out there now!
they plant in intervals so that the corn keeps growing till frost. Tomatoes,cukes,squash, melons,peppers,ornamental gourds,pumpkins,indian corn and sweet corn.
Myself I would luv to grow flowers to sell-last year everyone told me to sell cut flowers--I just have such a hard time with that! I luv to watch them bloom and then gather the seeds! (sigh)
My wishes to everyone that takes this venture-I hope to join you soon!
As chooch would say"ROCK ON" =-]

Batchelor, LA(Zone 8b)

Allons, Cher
Bud

Surry, VA(Zone 7b)

Dave: You have the courage to face a personal/family challenge that many of us would have been scared to attempt. I was scared 20 years ago to gamble on everything that would risk my security, when my former (now deceased) husband wanted to take a chance... Now I butt heads with my fiance at times because he is just like I used to be. Life is nothing but a challenge and like a tree, you trim off the dead wood and keep growing. I hope all of your dreams are fulfilled, because you have the cyber wishes/friendship of us all. Carol

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

Bud:Jah pahday! Lisa (for others:excuse the spelling, there is no real spelling for cajun french)

Hamburg/Pinnebog, MI(Zone 6a)

Lisa,

Go for it, but just take it slow and grow and not rush things because thats where you start making mistakes.
Along with that you need to take some risks but don't mortgage the farm to the hilt.

Lets be careful out there
TomK

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the advice Tom, wondering where you've been...It is kinda scary doing this, but when my husband quit his job of 10 years last year to start our landscaping service we were facing the same fears. So far he has been busy we only hope it continues. Lisa

Batchelor, LA(Zone 8b)

Lisa
Le meme chose ici.
Go for it . It is gardening time now and you need to find
a market before you start.
Bienvenue et bon chance.
Bud

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

Bud, Mare-see-buttercups! (marecboucoup)Lisa

Surry, VA(Zone 7b)

Lisa - Please accept my apologies, I had mistakenly thought Dave had started this thread. I wasn't deliberately ignoring you or your feelings. Please accept what I had written above addressed to you also. If it had been left up to me, we still wouldn't have running water or electricity yet. Wishing you the best - Carol

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

Oh Carol, you are a sweetie, I never even gave it a second thought! I didn't think you were ignoring me at all. Lots of times these thread switch gear onto something else...no apoligies needed! Thanks for the well wishes. Bye, Lisa

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images