-
AuthorContent
cazique
Wewahitchka, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 28, 2001
8:12 PM

Post #9495

Are the Angels Trumpets (Hanging like bells, not Datura) and the Brugs the same?

Dumb question, I know, but I really want to know.
Thanks, caz
Agapanthus
Hampstead, NC
(Zone 8a)

July 28, 2001
9:01 PM

Post #102001

From what I've learned on this site, yes. I'm "watching this thread" for answers so I can learn more about them.
And how did your martigon quest turn out?
Georgiaredclay
lagrange, GA
(Zone 7a)

July 28, 2001
9:16 PM

Post #102005

The angel tumpet and brugs are the same.
MsBatt
Florence, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 29, 2001
2:25 AM

Post #102166

Not to argue, Karma, but Devils' trumpet isn't that common a name for datura---lots of folks call THEM Angels' Trumpets, and I even had one person trying to trade 'angel's trumpets' with me who actually had Campsis radicans, the orange trumpet vine! Let's just never use the common name, and maybe it will fade away.
Brugmansia
FSH, TX

July 29, 2001
1:26 PM

Post #102288

Judith,
Your quite right, common names are commonly confused. Just as the common name Jimson weed, thorn apple, etc. A dime a dozen and still people get them confused. Fallacy or fact-people rarely know the difference it seems when it comes to plants. Once something is said it goes around and around and becomes fact. Once something is typed it goes around and becomes a law. Or so it seems from where I sit.
Of course Brugmansia are composed of six species while Datura are composed of 9 species. Datura are found naturally in the wild over much of the world. Brugmansia are found naturally in the wild in South America and primarily in the western part. Brugmansia live to 70+ years while Datura live to a mere 1-3 years on average. Datura self seed and are self fertile. Brugmansia are not self fertile so one rarely if ever sees a seed pod on a Brugmansia unless one has other Brugmansia within a few miles of your house. Bees, and more rarely ants like the nectar in Brugmansia. I must confess I only have a few hybrids of mine that I created that that ants actually like. Of course moths and hummingbirds like Brugmansia as well. Brugmansia have round or cylindrical smooth type seedpods ranging from a long thin green bean type seed pod over a ft in length and a mere pencils width in thickness to ovate and round. All Brugmansia seedpods are smooth except the vulcanicola species and it is still smooth when taken in comparison to datura seed pods excepting the D.ceratocaula if memmory serves me. My latin may be a bit off as I detest Datura, but I must know a bit about them as nurseries often have mislabeled plants with the name Brugmania arborea on Datura metel or even Datura arborea on a Brugmansia suaveolens. I have seen all of these offenses and more by nurseries who either don't know or who can't tell the difference. Personally, the difference is as clear as telling the difference between a Tomato plant and an eggplant. Brugmansia aurea is hybridizable with versicolor, suaveolens and I have even heard rumor of it being hybridizable with arborea, but so far all resulting seed has proved to be hollow from that last cross. Datura can not be hybridized with Brugmansia without laboratory type conditions to my knowledge and I have known people who have tried to cross Brugmansia with datura by grafting the stigma's of the two, mixing the pollen, etc. In the end you would imagine someone would do a chromosome count using a bit of Colchicine and a good microscope, but apparently we don't have any biologists or botanists in our group with access to good microscopes and colchicine. Ahh, either that or they are hoarding this info or its just not generally known. I could go on for days, but I must confess I would be bet money that the genetic difference between arborea and aurea is a lot more slight than the genetic difference between any of the 9 species of Datura and I do feel that their is a definite genetic difference in numbers of chromosomes even within the Datura genus. Still, one can cross seaweed and pine together with the proper chemicals and by simly doubling the resulting offspring one has a viable reproducing offspring with a very limited gene pool depending on how many parents where used. If the resulting offspring is self sterile of course other crosses should have been made to enable that one plantlet to breed. Personally, I don't think such an approach would be a good one unless you were to cross 3 species to 3 other species and to do it so as to create 9 different first generation crosses using 6 different total species and several very nice hybrids showing recessive traits and dominant traits. For instance a Double pink Brugmansia aurea crossed in laboratory type conditions to B. vulcanicola Roter Vulcan- a pure red Brugmansia type hybrid...Idle rambling thoughts.
Brugmansia
Brugmansia

This message was edited Sunday, Jul 29th 9:49 AM
Brugmansia
FSH, TX

July 29, 2001
5:25 PM

Post #102394

Ahh, perhaps its better if we just call them Brugs for short then? I think its just a matter of lazziness really. People want a nice short name. Hmm, maybe we could just call them "B" perhaps that would be the easiest for people? Hey Karma-those are some nice B's over yonder. Yep, love them B's. I see where there might be some confusion...
Angels look down from heaven at all the little Devils. Little Devils look up at heaven at all the big angels. Guess that works. D=D. or Datura = Devil and A is not too far from B so lets stick with a and b?
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 29, 2001
6:09 PM

Post #102422

LOL!! someone's been sitting under their b's for too long:)
irish
Saint Petersburg, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 29, 2001
6:16 PM

Post #102426

I was confused when I boutht my frist datura thinking it was a brugmansia becaused they called it a angle trumpit but after finding this site I am getting quite educated about brug thanks to all you people on here So I am going to keep reading and learning and some day be able to pass it on too
cazique
Wewahitchka, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 29, 2001
8:03 PM

Post #102470

Thank you all so much! This has been interesting, and educational.

Agapanthus, I got nothing from that quest, but I'm ordering some bulbs.
SDoglover1512
Port Huron, MI
(Zone 5b)

July 29, 2001
9:04 PM

Post #102492

Brugmansia...you are too funny

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Brugmansias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
it you take cuttings from a blooming plant.. arlene 52 Dec 21, 2010 12:39 PM
Great Brugmansia hybrids fast Brugmansia 24 Jul 8, 2013 12:49 AM
How Many Other Canadian Brug Lovers Are Here? Ladybug 30 Aug 7, 2010 8:24 PM
Labeled Parts - 2nd try poppysue 15 Jan 8, 2010 2:19 PM
parentage monika 80 Nov 14, 2011 6:36 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America