Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Garden Shed: Bender Board - questions

Communities > Forums > Garden Shed
bookmark
Forum: Garden ShedReplies: 15, Views: 322
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
momof2d
Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

December 13, 2006
10:09 AM

Post #2994964

Have you used bender board to create winding area's in your yard for containing garderns? How do you attach it to the ground? Is there a product that would work better? I need to 'reduce' my mowing area & create a new large dry shade garden area on the south side of my house (yes south - its shaded by the nieghbors house & our 2 large tree's). I thought about creating walls with flat rock stacking but I'm not sure about that either, I need 'cheap' ideas --- my hubby is on disability which make's the moola not stretch very far.
Thanks in advance for the advice !
Jill
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 13, 2006
7:21 PM

Post #2996191

I haven't installed benderboard myself, but my landscapers used it to create an edge between yard/garden in my backyard. It came with some sort of stakes that they pounded into the ground at intervals to keep it where it was supposed to be...my guess is that wherever you buy the benderboard they'd have the stakes too. There are also some cheap plastic edging products that you can buy which I'm guessing are much cheaper than the benderboard but in my opinion don't look quite as nice. But on the other hand once you have grass growing on one side and mulch on the other, you probably won't really see whatever you put down as edging! I tried the plastic stuff at my old house and found it a bit hard to pound down into my clay soil, but if your soil's nicer than mine or if you do it after a good long rain it would probably work much better. Or are you looking for something taller? You mentioned stacking rock to make a low wall, unless you already have the rock lying around, a cheaper option would be to build a short wall out of landscape timbers. They are going to be a lot cheaper than rock (although they won't last quite as long, but if you get ones that are pressure treated they should last a decent amount of time)
momof2d
Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

December 13, 2006
9:54 PM

Post #2996515

Thanks ecrane3, yeah I think I've heard the plasic edging is difficult to work with, for a stone wall - tho pretty I think its a little too labor intensive for me, I'll investigate the bender board & see what i can do, I wont be doing anything till spring anyway - I was just dreaming & planning --- the key for me is to cut down on Mowing , Weeding & watering next summer. For mulch - I think I'm going to need a butt load (excuse my expression) so I'm thinking I'll talk to a farmer from our local farmers market here & get some suggestions. Thanks for your input!
Jill
Huffy1
Marshall, MO
(Zone 5b)

December 13, 2006
11:20 PM

Post #2996797

Bender board usually is held with common 1x2 stakes driven down just below the top edge. Use enough to hold it to the shape you desire. I would use 6d or 7d galvanized nails to fasten the board and stakes togeather.
momof2d
Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

December 14, 2006
9:52 AM

Post #2997789

Thanks Huffy1 - good suggestion, I was wondering how the stakes were held in place - now I know --- I've been looking through gardening books & catalogs trying to decide purchases for spring/summer 07.
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 27, 2006
1:05 AM

Post #3027067

What is Bender Board? I've never heard of it, but it sure sounds like something I would like to try in my garden areas! Is there another name for it besides bender board? What's it made of? I'm really confused since I think of a board as wood and that doesn't bend! Where can I find this product?

Thanks,

Lin
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 27, 2006
4:10 PM

Post #3028200

I've only ever heard it called bender board. The type I have in my yard is a wood-look plastic composite. I've seen it at all the home centers in the section where they keep all the other types of garden edging, or landscaping companies would have it too.
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 27, 2006
6:17 PM

Post #3028516

Thanks so much ... I will have to check it out!

Lin
kchar60
Collegeville, PA

January 4, 2007
6:25 PM

Post #3052925

Hi, Lin: We moved from California to Pennsylvania 8 years ago. We always used benderboard in all of our gardens in California, but can't find it on the east coast - looked from Ohio to the Atlantic Ocean. I don't know why it is so available on the West Coast and not the East. It is easy to work with, affordable, and attractive. It is just what the name implies, a very lightweight board that is easy to mold around corners, and stays in place. Anyone have any ideas why it isn't available on the East coast?

~Kimberly
momof2d
Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

January 5, 2007
10:07 AM

Post #3054859

I have'nt checked here in Iowa yet but I will come spring --- I hope I can find it & I hope it is'nt too expensive.
Dann_L
San Tan Valley, AZ
(Zone 9b)

January 6, 2007
5:15 PM

Post #3058913

Bender board is usually made from redwood on the West Coast. Probably not cost efficient to ship it too far as it is already fairly expensive to begin with.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 6, 2007
5:25 PM

Post #3058944

The stuff I have in my yard (and have also seen at Home Depot, etc) is actually a composite (similar to Trex, etc). I've got to imagine there's something similar that's available on the east coast, maybe it would cost a little more if it's all made here on the west coast, but I can't imagine that it wouldn't be available all over the country.
Dann_L
San Tan Valley, AZ
(Zone 9b)

January 6, 2007
5:32 PM

Post #3058961

Yeah, the stuff here in AZ is mostly composite too! When I left CA it was still primarly redwood and I figured that I didn't see it here because of the shipping expense.
Huffy1
Marshall, MO
(Zone 5b)

January 7, 2007
10:43 PM

Post #3063093

It most likely not available due to the local preferences are differnet. Shipping charges never slowed down capitalism.
RatherBDigging
Akron, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 19, 2008
1:52 AM

Post #4557747

I can't say I have purchased bender board, but I know the term. I live in PA. I see it used
in the way similar to how you used it for your western gardens...but it is for laying out forms for curved sidewalk. This is how you would set it up. Maybe to ask someone in the wood supplies and ask where this is and see if is comparible to what you would need?

Just a thought.
RatherB
Debsroots
Northwest, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 14, 2008
12:25 PM

Post #4806123

In our part of the country...benderboard is used to make curves before pouring concrete. Try contacting a company that pours concrete.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Garden Shed Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quick-Disconnects for garden hoses? darius 18 Oct 5, 2007 8:07 PM
A Man and His Tractor LadibugZ9 16 May 12, 2007 6:29 PM
Tractor on it's way!!!! whooo-hoooo!!! cici77 16 Apr 26, 2008 9:24 PM
Old Reliable CountryGardens 49 Apr 16, 2010 8:20 AM
Your thoughts on a Mantis? Kell 122 Apr 16, 2012 5:53 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America