Welsh research

Audubon, PA(Zone 6b)

Anyone out there knowledgeable in Welsh genealogy?? I recently got a packet of data on my mother's lineage "Bowen" ( before 1698 known as " apOwen "). The data received goes much farther back to 14th. Century but does not list original references. Being a research chemist by training, I'm always leery of unsupported data and must check it out for myself. So far the relative who sent the data has not answered my questions.

Thanks,
Larry Davis....also descended from Welsh (1698, Essex Co.,VA from Llangollen, Wales)

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

This link might suggest some sources:

http://genealogy.about.com/od/wales/Wales_Genealogy_Tracing_Your_Welsh_Ancestors.htm The artricle "Digging Up Your Roots in Wales" by Daniel Perry is especially interesting.

Yuska

This message was edited Dec 13, 2006 11:37 AM

Audubon, PA(Zone 6b)

yuska....... Lots to work with there. Really appreciate the suggestion and will definitely check them out.

LarryD

No. San Diego Co., CA(Zone 10b)

Larry, the Rootsweb.com mail lists are very useful, and registering your surname interests with them is a good idea. My own lineage is POWELL from Llanelly, Brecon. My cousin received a lot of help from the lists before her trip to Wales to try to sort out our family there.

I often forget to check About.com - they are good for supplying resource links.

I've only just discovered this forum on DG - nice to know there are DGers interested in my other fav subject!

Audubon, PA(Zone 6b)

kaperc....... Thanks for the tips!! I definitely will check them out....

LarryD

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.