Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

European Gardening: Growing wedding flowers-help!!

Communities > Forums > European Gardening
bookmark
Forum: European GardeningReplies: 6, Views: 42
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
biscombe
Orgiva, Granada
Spain

December 13, 2006
7:37 PM

Post #2996221

Hi all,
I´m new to flower gardening (apart from companions for my veggies like callendula and such!!) I have offered to grow some red and yellow flowers (Spain colours!) for a friends wedding. Any advice on what would make good wedding flowers?
Thanks in advance for helping a clueless novice flower gardener :-)))
philomel
Castelnau RB Pyrenée
France
(Zone 8a)

December 17, 2006
2:43 PM

Post #3006160

When will the wedding be biscombe?
biscombe
Orgiva, Granada
Spain

December 17, 2006
3:51 PM

Post #3006311

Middle of June!...Help!!
philomel
Castelnau RB Pyrenée
France
(Zone 8a)

December 17, 2006
4:40 PM

Post #3006408

Hmmm, that's fairly soon!!
I'm sorry, I'm not experienced with cut flowers. I hope someone else can come in here and help you out!!
Laurie1
Burwash Weald
United Kingdom
(Zone 9b)

December 17, 2006
5:07 PM

Post #3006456

Biscombe - what about starting some sweetpeas - you could definately get the reds in that, and the scent would be wonderful for a brides bouquet - . You would need to keep them very well watered to keep them going until june, as well as pick everyday so they don't set seed.

The yellow is a bit more difficult at that time.

You could probably find a rose plant that should be in blossom in Spain about that time - what about one of the david austin roses - Pat Austin is a very rich ambery orange (not exactly yellow) but there must be one. I would keep it container grown so not to disturb it, and give it a good prune now to encourage good growth as soon as it warms up.

Of course you could use orange blossom as the yellow (well creamy white) - it should be available then. The scent would be a good combination with sweetpeas.

biscombe
Orgiva, Granada
Spain

December 18, 2006
9:46 AM

Post #3007977

Thanks for the replies! I've decided not to grow the flowers to use as cut flowers, Instead I'll do small decorated pots that the bride can give to her guests at the end of the wedding! So the flowers need to be low maybe with some trailing plants in there too! I'm not growing the bouquet thank goodness!! that would scare me!!!! ideas???
Patbarr
Sheffield
United Kingdom
(Zone 7b)

December 18, 2006
10:11 AM

Post #3007987

Could you get begonias, there are lots of red and yellow ones, and there are some very small neat double flowered ones. Perhaps with a little variegated ivy . They should be easy to keep looking good even if you made the holders up a couple of weeks in advance. I can't think of anything really small. Perhaps a really tiny one could have saxifrages or other little alpines, but they might have finished flowering by then.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other European Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Growing Sweet Peas what is the English Secret? gardendragon 22 May 1, 2009 4:40 AM
where are you? mark 265 Apr 18, 2009 12:30 AM
calling all Irish gardeners mark 53 May 18, 2011 6:49 AM
Old Address in Edinburgh Dinu 7 Mar 26, 2013 10:31 AM
What's occuring in the backyard? Baa 201 Jun 2, 2007 12:59 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America