Photo by Melody

Kitchens: Stainless Steel Appliances - Any suggestions??

Communities > Forums > Kitchens
bookmark
Forum: KitchensReplies: 18, Views: 212
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
azrobin
Scottsdale, AZ
(Zone 9b)

December 15, 2006
10:17 PM

Post #3002292

Okay. I was HOPING for a 40" Plasma TV for Xmas. Scratch that. My microwave died this week and the water dispenser on my fridge is leaking. I was going to wait until spring/summer to replace my 1992 white appliances with stainless but it looks like I'll be hitting the stores in January (if I can wait that long without my wonderful microwave).

In April I bought a new GE Profile washer and dryer. I was thinking of staying with Profile but thought I'd check with some of you who have stainless to offer pros and cons on different ones and where is the best place to shop? I've browsed online but that got my head spinning. I'm replacing all of them - side/side frig/microwave/dishwasher/30" electric flat cooktop range. I'm thinking it's going to run me about $5k?

Thanks in advance!

Robin
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 15, 2006
10:51 PM

Post #3002353

I would recommend checking Consumer Reports--that's where I always look for recommendations on which appliances are the best/most reliable. Once you've narrowed down which one you want, then it becomes much easier to bargain shop! As far as where to look, out here Sears has a "scratch and dent" outlet where you can find things with small cosmetic imperfections for a discount--usually the marks are very small and not noticeable at all but you can get a fair chunk knocked off the price so if you have something similar in your area that could be a good place to try.
azrobin
Scottsdale, AZ
(Zone 9b)

December 15, 2006
11:21 PM

Post #3002410

Good idea, ecrane. I thought about Kenmore Elite also. My neighbor raves of her new stainless french door frig with the freezer on the bottom she got there. She got that frig but her other appliances are a different make. I'd like to keep mine all the same.

Thanks!
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 16, 2006
12:16 AM

Post #3002532

As long as they're all stainless steel, I don't think you need to worry about having everything the same brand (unless you can get a bargain by buying them all the same of course!) Sometimes the best brand of dishwasher will not be the best brand of fridge, etc so personally I would find the best of each and not worry about them being different brands. I think as long as you get the stainless steel finish on all of them they'll all look the same and nobody would even notice they were different brands.
azrobin
Scottsdale, AZ
(Zone 9b)

December 16, 2006
12:51 AM

Post #3002614

Hehe. I'm a Realtor ecrane. One thing I like is when they all match. And, I'm a Virgo, too. So the anal thing is playing a big part in this, too. I'll definately keep in mind what you said, though.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 16, 2006
1:13 AM

Post #3002658

Well, it is your kitchen! I never noticed that much difference in looks when the brands didn't match as long as the color/style were the same. I'm all about getting the best performance at the best price, and if that comes with all different brands that's just fine by me! Although mismatched looks is not OK...I just bought this house in June and it came with almond colored appliances except the dishwasher which is black. It's driving me nuts!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 16, 2006
1:44 AM

Post #3002760

Almond and black. I feel sorry for you!! All black, white or black white combos i like. But no almond. Not on applainces. That color reminds me of the green and brown appliances. *shudders*
jkom51
Oakland, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 20, 2006
3:56 PM

Post #3013917

Stainless on Kenmore appliances will not necessarily match. Sears gets the Kenmore appliances from many different mfgs and even within brand names, stainless will sometime vary. It's more important to get the "best of breed" for your own needs rather than playing matchy-matchy with finishes.
azrobin
Scottsdale, AZ
(Zone 9b)

December 20, 2006
4:22 PM

Post #3013991

I now agree with you JK. I went over to a neighbors the other day who just got new appliances. She's got a Kenmore french door frig but her other appliances are Fridgidaire. And you're right on getting them for what I want them to do - like a super quiet dishwasher, french door frig for bigger frig space that will accomodate party platters and pizza boxes, quick cool flat range top and programable microwave.
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

March 27, 2007
9:11 AM

Post #3324980

I like they finally have the smudge-proof stainless. I'd like to go this route in a couple years but worry it will go the trend of almond and green appliances??? White seems to be the classic but I so tire of seeing white. =) We have new all black now but moving to a house with all white...mismatched brands.
jdee
Paris, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 7, 2007
10:24 AM

Post #3471666

We're in the process of remodeling our kitchen, and we got stainless steel appliences. We have a Samsung microwave, a kenmore elite dishwasher, and a Bosh (sp?) stove. (the stove is for DH. He loves to cook, and wanted one so badly)

Anyway, I have no problem with the unmatched brands, and they seem to go together just fine. We found the stove and dishwasher on sale at Sears, and the microwave on sale at Best Buy. Our fridge is still white, but that's going to have to be ok for now. It's still fairly new, and it's going on different wall anyway.

Here's a picture. The counters haven't come in yet, so please excuse the mess.

Thumbnail by jdee
Click the image for an enlarged view.

jdee
Paris, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 7, 2007
10:24 AM

Post #3471669

Here's the diswasher

Thumbnail by jdee

pegdog
Winchester, VA
(Zone 6a)

September 27, 2007
3:16 PM

Post #4023258

beautiful cabinets. We have stainless and bought the "A" brand (forgot the name) at HDepot. Love it.
Terrycw
Dunellen, NJ

April 28, 2010
1:06 PM

Post #7745760

This is an old thread, but I thought I'd throw in my two cents here anyway if anyone is still reading.

I already had my Kitchen Aid SS stove when we began this kitchen remodel. I really had thought that I would replace the dishwasher and fridge with Kitchen Aid SS as well, and then purchase an over the range microwave from KA as well.

Well...the over the range KA had fair ratings, but not great, and the prices were a bit on the high side. For practical reasons, I decided if we went with a Scratch-n-Dent item on that it would be fine, since I don't actually "cook" in a microwave - I re-heat or melt butter! lol So, I got a very nice SS GE Profile for $139.00!! They even threw in the inside venting kit for me. The "scratch is on the back - you'll never see it when it is installed! Got it at less than half price.

I had a tough decision with the dishwasher. I wanted Kitchen Aid, but they were very expensive for the options I wanted. I found a Bosch that was about $200 cheaper, same options. But then I really started thinking - do I really, and I mean *really* need nine wash cycles?! Do I really need a special little basket on the top for tiny items? I narrowed down my criteria: stainless steel in and out, pots and pans cycle, delicate cycle, normal cycle, heat dry, delay wash, adjustable upper rack, hidden controls - and of course - a good consumer rating. I ended up with a GE Profile again! And it came in at about $400 less than the Kitchen Aid I wanted to start out with! Oh, and the Kitchen Aid and Bosch needed a separate side mount kit for granite countertop installs, the GE comes with it. Also, the dishwasher has a SS front with no brand name on it - just nice and plain. So it really doesn't matter if it is the same brand or not - you can't tell!

Getting a fridge will take some time, the GE Profile one I like is about 2K! ouch! lol

And we're still in the middle of this remodel yet...
gavafriend
northeastern, AZ

May 22, 2010
2:27 PM

Post #7817480

We moved to a new location in January and I left all my appliances that I loved, loved, loved with the buyer of our home. We bought new appliances for the new house - a front loading Bosche washer and dryer - because I've had a bosche kitchen machine for 25 years and it still works perfectly. Frigidare made a stove with all the bells and whistles that I wanted - it's a wonderful piece of equipment. I bought a huge Samsung refrigerator because it had a flip up shelf that would accomodate tall bottles and pitchers easily. It also has 2 icemakers and water/ice in the door. We had a power outage and it fried the thermostat in the unit. We didn't have to pay for the repairs, but nobody offered to pay for all the food that spoiled. I don't think I'll get a fancy refrigerator again.
And I'll be very careful about the measurements if we ever buy anything again. The delivery men had to take off my front door and the doors of the refrigerator to get it into my home. The refrigerator will stay here if we have to move. The stainless steel colors are pretty close, even though I have 4 different brands in the kitchen, but they don't reside next to each other.
Ret_Sgt_Yates
Sparta , TN
(Zone 7a)

June 2, 2010
9:25 AM

Post #7851839

i guess i'm a bit old fassion things today will do every thing for you except what they were ment to do they have so many bells and whisles on them it takes you a year to be able to cook or wash clothes in them dont get me wrong i like to save money and cut down on my bills but if it wont feed me and doo the dishes and sort the clothes on its own then i dont think i need to pay the 3500.supper package for all the extras i dont need its just me their Kool and all there even pretty but that dont get it done iguess i'm just too simple Lol mine are not cheep but they are not the high rollers either if ya know what i mean . am i the only one that looks at it this way

Thumbnail by Ret_Sgt_Yates

terryr
Bureau County, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 3, 2010
3:10 PM

Post #7856072

You are most certainly not the only one. I have all white. I had 2 SS appliances that didn't last and were a pain to clean. Bells and whistles? I don't need them.

Ret_Sgt_Yates
Sparta , TN
(Zone 7a)

June 3, 2010
3:22 PM

Post #7856109

I was not trying to rain on folks parade but I have seen these home makeovers and the expenses the a lot for the appliances and its scary or crazy not sure . to me a good appliance is one that works and donít need fixen every time I need to use it and donít make noises in the middle of the night and cost a fortune to run or use . yep that about covers mine .

sorry guys and gals fancy just is not for me ~;>) even if I had the money and i dont i could not do it i just would not make sence to me .

Thumbnail by Ret_Sgt_Yates

terryr
Bureau County, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 3, 2010
3:55 PM

Post #7856265

Sir, you summed it up nicely for me too. I don't think an opinion stirs up anything. I hope not. We mean no harm...lol..☺

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Kitchens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
If you were replacing a countertop, what would you choose? LooneyLinda 197 Apr 24, 2014 3:43 AM
As requested on another thread, here's my kitchen re-do Connie_G 53 Jun 3, 2007 5:32 AM
anyone use Sears to reface cabinets? ssdogwood 15 Aug 3, 2007 10:21 PM
Our kitchen is done ! CountryGardens 24 Oct 13, 2007 3:12 PM
Ikea? MitchF 11 Nov 14, 2013 8:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America