Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Home Repairs and Maintenance: warped bedroom door

Communities > Forums > Home Repairs and Maintenance
bookmark
Forum: Home Repairs and MaintenanceReplies: 3, Views: 33
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
alyrics
Beachwood, OH

December 16, 2006
9:27 AM

Post #3003289

Any ideas on how to make a warped door fit so the door lock will catch? I have one bedroom door that is warped - the result is that the door lock won't stay in the place in the door frame and you can't firmly close the door so it will stay latched - it keeps sliding out and the door swings open. Could we just move the keeper in the door frame?
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

December 18, 2006
8:17 PM

Post #3009173

Can you post a picture?

I would try moving the keeper first. May require a shim or two. Might have to shim the hinges instead if the doorframe has spread.

If the door is not an antique, the big-box stores have replacements that are not terribly expensive.
alyrics
Beachwood, OH

December 19, 2006
2:02 AM

Post #3009999

I think the whole problem lies with the door and you're probably right - the easiest thing to do might be to buy a door. I will have to ask the DH if we have tools to move the keeper. Thanks!

PotEmUp

PotEmUp
Fremont, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 19, 2006
2:13 AM

Post #3010025

First be certain that the problem is not that the catch is too low or high. Watch the catch by getting down to look at it as it closes. Is it below or above the whole in the catch plate? If so, Bubba's suggestion of shiming will cure the problem. If it is centered but won't catch because it is hitting the stop too soon, then you can definitely move the "keeper" forward. Remove it, fill the screw holes (golf tees work well - insert, score with utility knife & break off), then reset the plate with screws in the new location a bit forward. You may also be able to move the plate forward a bit by giving it a whack with a hammer. Use something like a socket wrench extension - put it against the leading edge of the opening and give it a whack. A new door is probably over kill, as the problem may just be a seasonal problem.
You can also remove the wooden door stop and reset it, but moving the catch plate is much simpler.
Here is a site with many suggestions http://www.sbsalaska.com/assets/news/topics/adjdoors.htm

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Home Repairs and Maintenance Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to Home Repairs & Maintenance Terry 17 Jul 14, 2011 1:42 AM
hiring help roxroe 16 Mar 27, 2007 9:04 AM
I hated trimming the grass along the fence jleec 15 Jun 6, 2011 6:47 AM
Hi! I'm new but have 2 questions Illoquin 7 Apr 5, 2007 6:48 PM
Eeek... mice! dreamingofeden 10 Mar 15, 2009 10:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America