Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

how deep do rose roots normally grow?

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

and do they go deeper than wide or wider than deep or is it about even? i realize it will depend on the size of the rose in question, so lets just say that it's for a big rose, a hybrid musk or a large shrub rose.

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

It's hard for me to answer that question definitively, Debi, because the gophers nibble on the roots of mine so much that I really don't know how big they might get if they were left alone, but when I've moved roses, I've sometimes had to dig down as far as a foot and a half, and about a foot and a half away from the trunk in all directions. Any roots sticking out or down farther than that get chopped off by my shovel. I don't think that's a bad thing. I know Kell grows some roses in pots and she actually pulls them out regularly and prunes the roots back to a manageable length when she prunes the bushes.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

zuzu, you were reading my mind on this one and you knew exactly where i was headed with this question. lol i'll be ok, then, with the very large pots i have in mind for my container project. thanks!

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Zuzu, I've read about root-pruning trees -- would it be a good idea for roses, too? It's supposed to keep trees healthy, like branch-pruning does.

tracks, I had great luck with roses in huge pots back in the townhouse. I did have to water them daily and feed them weekly. But I don't really look on that as a chore!

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Brigidlily, I've never root-pruned a rose, but Kell does it regularly, and if you've ever seen the photos she takes of her roses, you'd have to agree it must be a good idea.

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Nuff said!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.