Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Southwest Gardening: growing begonias

Communities > Forums > Southwest Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Southwest GardeningReplies: 4, Views: 51
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
biggered
Casa Grande, AZ
(Zone 9b)

December 18, 2006
6:21 PM

Post #3008905

has anyone had any luck growing begonias from seed? nany secret tricks I should know? This will be a first for me. Thanks for any help
CindyInAZ
Tempe, AZ
(Zone 9a)

December 18, 2006
9:35 PM

Post #3009370

I've grown begonias for years but never from seeds. Sorry, but the only information I can offer is on propagation from leaf, stem, or wedge cuttings. Many hybrids revert back to original form when propagated by seed. I'd be very interested in any success stories. Cindy
biggered
Casa Grande, AZ
(Zone 9b)

December 18, 2006
11:59 PM

Post #3009673

thanks cindy
MingTea
Tucson, AZ

December 19, 2006
8:27 AM

Post #3010470

ouch. you hit a sore spot.

i had 80+ species and cultivars before i moved to this single-digit-humidity state. I had species extinct in the wild. species with no name yet. a huge variety...ARGH

you can grow begonias from the extra-fine seed they produce, however you need to provide a warm, humid (but not overly damp) environment. one begoniac recommends using a covered shallow plastic container (something like a take-out tray) with light, moistened potting mix. wick the water out with a paper towl set below the container (which should have drainage holes punched). sprinkle the dust-like seeds on top of the mix and set some place warm. They are sensitive to damping off.

...but why do this when you can take cuttings!? unless you want to grow a species unavailable any other way, or make your own hybrids.

from watching my plants die, i would have to say the shrub-type begonias do best in arizona (inclusive of hybrids with other groupings). canes and some scandents do all right, but the rexes really suffer and many of the more exotic rhizomatous. you can look up more info on the american begonia society website, or peek in on the y! group. the y! group is for more advanced growers and hybridizers, but there are lots of little gems of knowledge there, as well as fabulous pictures if you get messages in your inbox.

here's a picture of B. pelata (used to be B. incisa) that is especially adapted for xeric climates. it actually does really well in the desert. It's a shrub type with peltate greyish-green velvety leaves on a woody stalk.

-ming

Thumbnail by MingTea
Click the image for an enlarged view.

biggered
Casa Grande, AZ
(Zone 9b)

December 19, 2006
10:04 AM

Post #3010501

thanks a lot Ming, maybe I will re-think this out. sounds like more trouble than fun. I have been here 5 years and I know you only grow on the desert what the desert will let you grow. Ill think of something less of a heart breaker. Maybe bananas...LOL

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Southwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Brugs are Bloomin SUNNYAZ 28 Nov 30, 2007 11:52 PM
Purple Hopseed Bush Judy81350 6 Jul 23, 2013 10:47 PM
Lady Bugs Desertdenial5 17 Jun 17, 2007 9:08 PM
Snail Vine KactusKathi 37 Sep 4, 2007 4:33 AM
My magnolia has flower buds. RODICAP 19 Feb 6, 2008 3:18 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America