Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Caudiciforms: Anyone grow Fockeas?

Communities > Forums > Caudiciforms
bookmark
Forum: CaudiciformsReplies: 8, Views: 245
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Nan
SW, WI
(Zone 4b)

December 18, 2006
6:57 PM

Post #3008992

I'm considering getting one, and just wondered if anyone else grows them *indoors* without the aid of a greenhouse?

If so, any pros and cons?

TIA!

Nan
Sally0
Yardley, PA

December 19, 2006
12:12 AM

Post #3009706

I have grown a Fockea Edulis for years in the house with no problems. I don't remember when I got this. It goes out in the summer and must be pretty tough because I tend to overwater and it has done great. I now use semi-hydroponics so I don't have the rotting problem much anymore, thank goodness. I have even put the Fockea right in the garden for the summer and it really liked that. I do grow mine under lights even though this one has gone to sleep. I also give it some water so it doesn't lose it's roots.

Thumbnail by Sally0
Click the image for an enlarged view.

smkennedy
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 19, 2006
4:49 PM

Post #3011321

I, too, grow Fockea Edulis indoors, but put it outside for the summer. Mine doesn't go dormant in the winter, where I have it in a south window in a cool sun room.

Susan in Minneapolis
Nan
SW, WI
(Zone 4b)

December 19, 2006
5:06 PM

Post #3011368

Thanks for the input, both of you!

Do you find there care to be similar to that of Adeniums, then, if either of you grow those, too?

It seems that my A. obesum (some years) doesn't go 'completely' dormant.
Sally0
Yardley, PA

December 19, 2006
7:10 PM

Post #3011619

I do grow my adeniums the same. Sometimes they will lose their leaves and sometimes not. I have had flowers in the winter also. The Fockea will probably not be dormant for long since I have it under lights and it is pretty warm.
BayAreaTropics
Hayward, CA

April 30, 2007
5:43 PM

Post #3448290

Outdoors its a tough plant.Mine was not bothered in the least by four nights of 32f or below this last January. In a pot no less.
hannibal
Philadelphia, PA

May 6, 2007
6:01 PM

Post #3469467

I have grown Fockea edulis for 5 years without a greenhouse.I have them indoors during the winter,and put them outdoors in the same pot for the summer.I live in Philadelphia Pa.
Nan
SW, WI
(Zone 4b)

May 7, 2007
11:11 AM

Post #3471886

I still haven't purchased one, but am still considering...so I appreciate your input! Thanks!
Malestrom
Plumiedelphia, PA
(Zone 7a)

August 13, 2007
3:30 PM

Post #3851624

Im in Philadelphia too
Ive had mine for 2 yrs now
Shes a slow grower and ive beat her up a bit.
I think I understand what she needs now lol!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Caudiciforms Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Adenium seedpod!! Indigoez 24 Apr 24, 2007 7:17 PM
Great case of mistaken identity GSkinner 16 Nov 22, 2007 2:20 PM
Flowering and Brighamia insignis, Hawaiian Vulcan Palm MartinDK 7 Aug 13, 2007 3:20 PM
Brachychiton Nan 5 May 25, 2007 4:22 AM
adenium seeds and seedlings up to 3" gessiegail 6 Apr 25, 2007 10:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America