Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Bromeliads: Growing a pineapple from the store.

Communities > Forums > Bromeliads
bookmark
Forum: BromeliadsReplies: 20, Views: 293
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mikekilhoffer
Chatham, IL
(Zone 5b)

December 20, 2006
6:02 AM

Post #3013012

I am a bartender and as such I routinely prepare pineapples for garnishes at my job. I live in Zone 5b, but I saved a top that looked healthy two years ago. I got it to root and I planted it in a 10" pot. Now it is 4' by 4' in my room as a decorative plant. I have put it outside every summer and It is thriving. However I did not follow common practice in getting it to live. The searches on the web tell me that I should not have succeeded in my endeavor. I took my plant home, tore off the bottom leaves and placed the crown in a pint glass of water in the sun and waited 5 weeks. The top put out roots and I planted it in it's pot with miracle gro potting soil, and since then it has been doing just fine. Since that time I have not been able to get a crown to become a house plant again, and my friends really want one. Did I just get lucky? I really want to be able to give my friends either advice or a plant that I have grown for their own household enjoyment, but I am failing at producing another plant. It is almost winter now, and I got mine to root by leaving it out in the July Illinois sun, but what are the chances that I can get the same results either in a window during an Illinois winter, or under grow lights in my basement, that I would get repeating the outdoor July treatment? I have found the pineapple plant to be very resistant to sunscald, I put it out on the deck straight from being in my room, and other than 3 or 4 leaves browning, it does just fine. Any help would be appreciated. I am a pepperhead at heart, tomatoes coming in at a close second, but I figure there are Bromeliad pros out there that could set me straight.
Thanks, Mike
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 20, 2006
10:12 AM

Post #3013098

Mike,

I've had good luck at letting the cut (the very top of the pineapple with plantlet) callous for a few days, then placing it on top of Perlite in a vase with no drainage. I keep the Perlite wet but don't let the pineapple stand in water. I don't ever remember doing it in winter though since warmth and filtered sunlight would be best for starting these. After it roots, then it can be placed in a good potting mix with drainage. I let mine out for winter kill this year since I have no room for something that can be easily started. I will probably grow another one the next time we buy fresh pineapple.

Here is an attractive alternative that was purchased at one of the home building stores.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Click the image for an enlarged view.

DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 20, 2006
8:08 PM

Post #3014545

I am a lazy gardener at home. I take my top, leave the 'fruit' or yellow flesh on, drop it in a half fullpot of good soil, bury it up to the second row of leaves, and water it lightly everyday until it starts to show growth. Water less often after it starts to grow and they like bright light or sun.

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener

DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 20, 2006
8:10 PM

Post #3014551

let me try that image again.

DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 20, 2006
8:13 PM

Post #3014560

Spooks in the computer world just ate 3/4 of that photo...ahh here it is, finally.

DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 20, 2006
8:15 PM

Post #3014566

And here are some I planted in the ground last spring, hope it has fruit next fall.

vcb1
Melbourne Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 27, 2006
12:15 AM

Post #3026974

I too just plop the tops in the ground. Here's a pic of one this summer -- look what I got from it!

-- Vicky

Thumbnail by vcb1

heathrjoy
Weedville, PA
(Zone 6a)

December 28, 2006
1:22 AM

Post #3029550

I went to school with a Mike Kilhoffer. His family was great at growing football players =^)

This link http://www.rickswoodshopcreations.com/Pineapple/pineapple.htm is to a site that has step by step instructions, with pics, on how to grow a Pineapple from a top. Very easy to follow. Mine is still sitting in a glass of water with a ton of roots, and it's still growing.

If the link doesn't go directly to the right page, just scroll down on the home page and click on "grow a pineapple."

Good luck!
Heather
GuardanGirl
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 30, 2007
12:39 AM

Post #3136717

Hey I have a question :
(I too just stick them in the ground and they grow on their own.)
but one of them had a baby already. I have several plants but only one had a pup.
Will they all reproduce like this?

also how tall and wide will they get?
Mine are still pretty small.
vcb1
Melbourne Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 30, 2007
1:56 PM

Post #3138092

Sylvia,
Pineapples are in the bromeliad family (Bromeliaceae) so they get pups -- that plant in the pic above has a pup now! If the plants are happy and healthy they will all eventually produce pups. The plant above is about 18 -20 inches across and about a foot high. Yours will grow come spring -- they like water (not water logged; they want to be well drained) and feeding. So make sure they don't dry out and feed them regularly. Mine are in full sun.

-- Vicky
GuardanGirl
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 30, 2007
6:05 PM

Post #3138890

Thanks vicky,
I knew they were in the brom family , but wondered would they have babies if I was the one to plant them. LOL
I have about 4 and only the last one I planted has a pup. the other ones that I've had much longer have none. so i was wondering what was going on.
Maybe it just needs time.

ty,
GG
vcb1
Melbourne Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 30, 2007
6:21 PM

Post #3138927

The only one of mine that has had a pup so far is the one I've had the longest and it's the one I got the pineapple from last summer. The others that I planted last summer haven't pupped yet and they haven't pineappled yet either. I'm waiting to see what happens this summer. The pineapple one was one my mom had in a pot for about 6 months and when she moved in with me I planted it in the ground. That's when the pineapple began to grow.

So maybe it has something to do with either time (like you suggested) or putting out fruit. Let us know what yours end up doing and I'll do the same!

-- Vicky
mikekilhoffer
Chatham, IL
(Zone 5b)

February 3, 2009
10:19 PM

Post #6089142

I forgot this thread was out there... It's three years later, and the houseplant pineapple is putting out fruit!
I hear that the plants die off after fruiting so I started a new top and it is just putting out roots after 3 weeks. Odd though, it chose to fruit in a south facing window in late January in central Illinois. Thanks for the replies and the advice.

Thumbnail by mikekilhoffer

mikekilhoffer
Chatham, IL
(Zone 5b)

February 3, 2009
10:20 PM

Post #6089146

Another close-up of the same plant.

mikekilhoffer
Chatham, IL
(Zone 5b)

February 3, 2009
10:21 PM

Post #6089152

And one more from the side...

kathy65468
Eunice, MO
(Zone 5b)

February 5, 2009
6:10 AM

Post #6095562

Pineapple normally fruits in the winter when the days are shorter. The mother plant dies after it fruits but like most bromiliads, it usually will put out baby plants before it dies. You will end up with fruit and several babie to plant.

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 7, 2009
7:29 PM

Post #6106840

Your pineapple looks great, I really enjoyed the pictures. I started my pineapple last spring and she's doing really well, I hope someday she will give me a fruit :>)
Christine
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

February 12, 2009
10:35 AM

Post #6127498

I had my first fruit a couple of months ago. It was alot smaller than the store bought ones, but much tastier (in my opinion) I have put in another dozen or so tops, as they grow quite well in the vege garden here. Unfortunately, I didn't realise they would put out pups, and I threw the old plant out when it finished fruiting. Doh!
nomosno
San Diego, CA
(Zone 10b)

February 16, 2009
7:50 AM

Post #6145381

Mike, you were not just lucky, you have stumbled upon a charactersitc of bromeliads in general. Here is the relevant info from the Bromeliad Society's website:

"With rare exceptions, bromeliads only flower a single time - once the plant stops producing leaves and produces its flower, it will not start making leaves again. It will, however, vegetatively produce new plantlets called "offsets" or "pups". These plants will feed off the "mother" plant until they are large enough to set roots of their own and survive as a separate plant. The mother may sometimes survive a generation or two before finally dying off. Pups are usually produced near the base of the plant - inside the sheath of a leaf. Sometimes, however, pups may be produced on long stolons or atop the inflorescence (flower spike) of the mother plant. The green, leafy top of a pineapple is in fact a pup that may be removed and planted to start a new plant."
jlp222
Hammond, LA
(Zone 8b)

February 16, 2009
7:56 AM

Post #6145385

Wow, I am glad I found this! I have a new project!
mikekilhoffer
Chatham, IL
(Zone 5b)

February 18, 2009
7:49 PM

Post #6156721

nomosno - thanks for the info. I have added a page to my hobby/weather page just showing the pineapple as it matures. If anyone is interested it is on the "pineapple project" link at "http://sites.google.com/site/mkilhoffer/pineapple-home" I plan on updating it's progress as it matures.

This message was edited Feb 18, 2009 1:56 PM

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Bromeliads Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
bromeliads ..how to propogate????? pixiedust 11 Jan 10, 2009 5:14 AM
Aechmea Blue Tango giancarlo 16 Feb 4, 2008 7:24 AM
My cryptanthus collection Chris_Lorry 30 Mar 2, 2009 12:43 PM
Looking to trade for colorful Bromeliads and similar plants. bwilliams 10 Jan 14, 2008 9:03 PM
neo orange crush Eclipse 11 Mar 15, 2007 9:40 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America