Glass Beads

Hello all you crafty people.
Does any one here make glass beads?
Here's a picture of my glass floral bead that I put on a cell charm.
Thanks for looking.

This message was edited Sep 4, 2013 10:33 PM

Thumbnail by bstodd

I have several more to post, then I promise.....no more.

Belinda

Thumbnail by bstodd

tribal mask

Thumbnail by bstodd

and a raised floral bead.

Belinda

Thumbnail by bstodd

Victorian Heart bead.

Thumbnail by bstodd

Last one, another floral.

Belinda

Thumbnail by bstodd
Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

Bstodd, those are beautiful ! You actually makes the beads ? Can you explain how, just a little bit of the process ? More pictures is okay with me. I especially loved the heart one.

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

I love these, how do you do it??

Thanks for looking at my beads. Yes, I make the beads. I use glass rods, and a Hot Head torch.

First I take a stainless steel mandrel and dip in bead release.
Then I take a rod of glass and place it in the flame of the torch.
When I have a small glob of molten glass at the end of the rod, I take the glass and touch it to the mandrel and as the glass wraps around the mandrel, it creates a bead.
But you must keep the mandrel turning at all times while in the flame or you will have wonky beads.lol.
After making the bead, it is placed in a kiln to anneal. Then remove from the mandrel and clean.
There are so many different beads, and bead shapes that you can make.
If you would like to know more, send me a dmail.
There are several glass artist that have tutorials that you can watch (youtube), or read(glass forum).

Belinda, More pictures....

This message was edited Dec 24, 2006 9:40 PM

This message was edited Dec 24, 2006 9:58 PM

Thumbnail by bstodd

Cell charms

Thumbnail by bstodd

cell charm

Thumbnail by bstodd

heart

Thumbnail by bstodd

halloween bead set.

Thumbnail by bstodd

Bead on a mandrel.

Thumbnail by bstodd

mixed beads

Thumbnail by bstodd
Prophetstown, IL(Zone 5a)

great lampwork! those are some very pretty beads

Catherine

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Beautiful beads, sounds like a large investment, I'm sure my intentions would be good, but with my short attention span, probably not a wise venture. Do you sell your beadwork? Have a website?

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

Very nice. I would of thought you poured something in a mold. Working with a torch sounds way to complicated to me. (LOL). Just send more pics and I'll just have to admirer your beautiful work.
thanks for sharing !

Thank you Catherine.

Meezersfive, It can run into some cash, that's for sure. Yes, I do sell my beads on ebay. I don't have any for sale right now. And I am working on a web site, just haven't got that far yet. I'll let you know when I do.

betterbloom, There are some that use bead presses. I have a lentil press, but I don't really like to use it. My heart beads are shaped using a marver and a knife. I guess I just like to do things the hard way. LOL.

Thanks for looking. Belinda

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

beautiful!
this is something that I want to learn. I love glass and work with stained glass...when my Delphi glass catalogs come in the mail, I drool over the flameworking section.

Lisa, I love glass, any kind. Post some pic's of your work, I'd love to see it.

Madison, WI

Love, love, love the pictures! Is it hard to make two beads the same?
I really like the aised floral bead.

enya, no two beads are exactly the same, but you can make them close, as in a set.

Here's a pic of a set I sold on ebay.

Thumbnail by bstodd
Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

bstodd,
I don't have many projects, here are just a few of my early ones:
http://davesgarden.com/forums/fp.php?pid=1687966
http://davesgarden.com/forums/fp.php?pid=684565
http://davesgarden.com/forums/fp.php?pid=39538

I have a few more, but they are packed away at the moment. I just moved to Western Kentucky from Louisiana, we are still living out of boxes. I didn't change my hometown yet on Daves, I still can't bring myself to do it...grin.

Lisa, Those are sooo pretty. I'm not sure which one I like best, maybe the wind danglers.....love windchimes. lol. What part of western Ky did you move to? I'm in western Ky also.

Sumner, WA(Zone 8a)

Absolutely gorgeous.

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

bstodd,
we moved to Benton. I like it the country side here, really different from where I came from.

Thanks tiffanya.

Well Lisa, Welcome to Kentucky. You're about 2 hours away.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 8a)

Gorgeous!
Too attention detailed for me! I'm with M5!
They are so beautiful. I love to make jewelry but am perfectly happy to have someone else make the beads! Loved the set you sold on ebay!

Thanks somermoone,
Here is a bleeding heart.

Thumbnail by bstodd

This bead didn't turn out the wat I had planned, So I made it into this......what it is, I don't know. :D

Thumbnail by bstodd
Nipomo, CA(Zone 8a)

I understand how the bead is formed and shaped and such, but how does the floral images come into existence? Absolutely lovely! Art pure art. You have a gift.
Dayna

Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

Bstodd, your beading is breathtaking. Could the unknown creature be the rare binocular spotted amebakin ? Have you more pictures ? Thank you for sharing your wonderful talent.

dwerland, the flowers are made using dots of glass that is melted into the bead.

balvenie, someone thought it looked like a cuttlefish..... lol
Thanks for the nice comments.

Belinda

Yorkshire,

Belinda, what wonderful beads!! You have a fantastic talent and I just love the piece you sold on eBay :o)
I have been fascinated by lampwork beads for a few years now but, alas, I'm just not talented enough to attempt making them. If I did, your lovely little creature would have lots of friends LOL
I've enjoyed looking at your bead pictures tremendously, thank you for sharing them with us.

Terri

Thanks Terri

Loveland, CO(Zone 5b)

Hi Belinda,

I don't make lampwork beads (though I have made some lovely things I call "disaster on a mandrel" :). But my mom is a lampworker :). She is MissP_32 on eBay and her webpage is http://www.missplampwork.com :)

I'm impressed with all the beautiful stuff you're making on a HH! :) I've made a lot of HH spacers/dots/triangles, but never things so intricate as yours! Great job! :)

Are you a member of the ISGB? Did you go to the convention in St. Louis? You may've met my mom there is why I ask. :)

Sarah

Hey Sarah, Sorry it took so long to get back with you. I am a member of the ISGB forum, but I have never been to the conventions. Yes, I have seen your mothers beads...gorgeous, I might add. I am still using a HH, but plan to up-grade as soon as I get my studio finished. I don't get to torch but a couple hours a week, I hope that will change soon. Thanks for your nice comments. I do still consider myself a newbie. Belinda

Thumbnail by bstodd
New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Wow I like the beautiful victorian heart with tho flowers on it and that one last picture so pretty wish I know how do... was it cost you lot to spend that stuff to make?

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Belinda,

I'm a fellow lampworker, but I just started a month ago! (I'm an English teacher and our high school art teacher taught a group of us...) Here is a necklace I made.

I need advice on which torch to buy!!!

Your beads are very advanced AND very perfectly made!....and artistic and cute (the animals!)
I hope to be at that level someday!! :)

Connie

This message was edited Apr 9, 2007 11:24 PM

Thumbnail by Connie_G

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images