Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Water Gardens: Help! Need plant suggestions for bog/wet garden ...

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 68, Views: 636
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 28, 2006
12:41 PM

Post #3030327

I am in the process of putting in a lasagna bed for a bog/wet area that is approximately 75' X 4'. I need ideas of plants to put in this long bed. I need plants that like moist soil and wet feet and can also tolerate occassional flooding without getting root rot. This area is almost always mushy when you walk around back there. Which is why I wanted to do a full-length garden. It's a useless area of my yard except for the possibility of being a "wet/bog" garden bed. I am hoping there are some plants that either host or are nectar plants for butterflies and hummingbirds.

I am thinking of putting one of my small container ponds in one small section of the bed. The area gets full sun for at least 6 hours a day, though some of it gets full sun ALL day. There is a large Oak tree that casts shade at different times of the day on part of the garden bed. But for the most part it gets full sun almost all day.

I am hoping some of you can give me some suggestions for plants. I live in zone 9B on the east coast of Florida. I am open to all ideas! I know canna and scarlet hibicus (Texas Star) are good choices and I have some of those plants in pots ready for that area. But I need a LOT more plants.

I have a small "swamp dogwood tree" in the left back corner which I just planted this past spring. It's in the process of getting established. Oddly, it bloomed twice for me. Once in the early spring and again at the end of summer. Go figure. And I have a small Walters Viburnum bush that also blooms a couple times a year in the right back corner of the garden bed. Which leaves about 65' of available wet garden bed to fill in between those 2 back corners.

Does anyone grow Iris?

Here is a photo of the wood edging which I just completed installing. It will be filled in with a layer of cardboard and then dirt/compost on top of that.

Any plant suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Thumbnail by beckygardener
Click the image for an enlarged view.

tetleytuna
Columbia, MO
(Zone 5b)

December 28, 2006
1:59 PM

Post #3030538

Depending on how wet it is here are a few suggestions:

Various Mallows, they look a lot like hibiscus and are beatiful when blooming
Mint will grow anywere
some varieties of elephant ear do very well in wet areas
some varieties of lotus might work in your wettest areas
bog iris - I have a yellow variety that is tough as nails but is very pretty
Bee Balm
Lemon Balm

Some of these can be invasive so you may want to consider that, but at least it is a start!
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 28, 2006
2:36 PM

Post #3030662

Very interesting suggestions, tetleytuna! I didn't know Bee Balm liked wet feet. I am considering the Mallows. Bog Iris ... didn't know there was such a plant. Thanks so much!
Wvdaisy
Buffalo, WV
(Zone 7a)

December 29, 2006
4:09 AM

Post #3032645

Papyrus, elephant ears, some daylilies. These come to mind immediately.

Lana

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 29, 2006
4:27 AM

Post #3032677

How about Iris & parrots feather.
rylaff
Niceville, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 29, 2006
11:42 AM

Post #3032923

I was thinking about what I have in the top part of my pond, which stays wet. Horsetail reed, elephant ears, marsh marigold, canna, iris, white butterfly ginger,variegated iris, papyrus.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 29, 2006
12:17 PM

Post #3032968

I have some yellow water iris I could send you. Have to check weather or not I can send them to Fl. They are invasive. I love the Tropical Cannas beautiful color on the leaves and flowers. If you want something big and green take a look at these Gunneras. In this picture they are growing in a stream under trees. I'm not sure if they need shade or not but I loved the picture. http://davesgarden.com/forums/fp.php?pid=2304758
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 29, 2006
12:54 PM

Post #3033021

Wvdaisy - Dwarf Papyrus is very attractive but is listed as invasive in Florida. (Though I could pot it and keep it from spreading. Nice plant.) I'm not sure about the Elephant Ear plant. Googled info says to plant in a well-drained area. Do you happen to know which daylilies like bog areas? I love daylilies and didn't know there were any that liked wet feet! I would love to add some to this garden!!!

jeri11 - Unfortunately, Parrot's Feather is considered invasive here in Florida. (But it is an attractive and delicate looking plant. Thanks for the suggestion.) I love the look of Iris, but ...

I am hearing that many Iris plants can also be invasive. Do you or anyone know of varieties that are not invasive? I really would like to add some to my bog garden.

rylaff - Horsetail reed looks interesting. I have 2 small container ponds and might use that plant in one or both of them. So your Elephant Ears grows in a bog area? Internet search says to plant in well-drained area. Yours is actually in a bog/wet area? I am looking into white butterfly ginger, iris, and dwarf papyrus. I did a google on Marsh Marigolds and really like the looks of that plant! Never knew there was such a plant. Thank you for those suggestions.

This message was edited Dec 29, 2006 9:07 AM
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 29, 2006
1:04 PM

Post #3033040

HollyAnnS - I want to avoid any invasive plants, but ... I would love a yellow iris. I wonder if it could be put in a pot and grown in a small container pond? Would a pot keep it from spreading?

That photo of the Gunneras is awesome! I doubt my narrow bog garden is big enough for something like that, but it sure is an unusual plant! I am really looking to garden with smaller plants that are not invasive. My intentions for this bog garden is for butterflies, birds (hummers), and bees. I know that canna, swamp milkweed, Joe Pye Weed, White Butterfly Ginger, possibly the Marsh Marigolds would be attractant plants for these creatures.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions so far. Makes me wish I had a few acreas with a large pond on it! All the plant suggestions are just great!
Wvdaisy
Buffalo, WV
(Zone 7a)

December 29, 2006
3:20 PM

Post #3033436

The Marsh Marigold should work well in you situation. Even potted the yellow iris would burst out and take over unless you repotted at least annually, in your zone maybe more often than that. I have orange ditchlilies(daylilies), and a rusty orange color daylily that are in a very wet hosta bed here. I'm not sure how to find out what other daylilies do well with wet feet.

I had several elephant ears in my pond last summer, one that comes to mind right away is 'Illustrus'. It did very well.

Lana
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 29, 2006
3:51 PM

Post #3033511

Lana - I hit the daylily forum to ask about bog daylilies and everyone that has posted so far says that there are none. I wonder what variety you have? Are they possibly fulva Kwanso known as the common ditchlily? They are absolutely beautiful! Though they say they are a bit invasive. But you know what ... I might consider them anyway. They are so pretty! No seeds though. I'll have to purchase tubers from a nursery.

How big does your Elephant Ear get? Height and spread?
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 29, 2006
4:07 PM

Post #3033554

If you want the Orange Lilly's I have plenty . D-mail me. Holly
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 29, 2006
4:54 PM

Post #3033689

HolluAnnS - You have dmail. :-)
Wvdaisy
Buffalo, WV
(Zone 7a)

December 29, 2006
5:20 PM

Post #3033764

yes, the common ditch lily is one of them, the other is a darker color. I wouldn't buy any, there will be plenty for trade or postage on here I'm sure! I also have one that doesn't grow very high but has a reddish bloom. Mom has grown it in her bog for years. I grew it shallow in the pond last summer.

Lana
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 29, 2006
5:56 PM

Post #3033839

Lana - Any chance of posting an old photo here of the reddish shorter lily? I'd love to see what that one looks like!
Thanks!
~Becky~
rylaff
Niceville, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 30, 2006
1:12 AM

Post #3034980

I have both colocasias and xanthosomas. My colocasias adore having wet feet. They get big like that!!!! I have them in the upper pond where they sit in water. I have them in the pond and I have them in a bog. They do great. The xanthasomas do not do so well. Stick with the colocasias and they will be very happy and will grow big and multiply. The white butterfly gingers do great in my upper pond. They sit in the water and are very happy like that. The horsetail reed is awesome but very invasive.
Wvdaisy
Buffalo, WV
(Zone 7a)

December 30, 2006
3:46 AM

Post #3035460

Becky, I know I have some good pics of that daylily but it's locked in my old puter and until I can afford to get it fixed so I can remove my hundreds of pics we're out of luck...wait, I'll see of I have a pic of it in my DG journal!

Yep, here it is http://davesgarden.com/journal/edit/viewentry.php?rid=71593

Lana
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 30, 2006
12:05 PM

Post #3035783

rylaff - I love the look of the colocasias but am thinking it might be just a wee too big for my garden area. Though, I understand that there might be a dwarf version?

Lana - Your red lily is gorgeous! I see that you marked the entry as unknown variety. So this daylily actually grows in a wet area, correct? How is it on spreading? I'm very interested to know more. :-)

When I posted on the Daylily Forum, one of the members gave me a name and website of a gentleman that actually grows all of his daylilies in pots with them sitting in 2" of water. That way the roots are always wet. He's grown thousands of beautiful daylilies that way. Here's the website: http://www.tomsdaylilies.com/

I emailed him and he said he's been doing it that way for years! Amazing!!! Actually very fascinating. I love daylilies and have success with most of mine. But the ones that don't do so well are actually in a very dry area of my yard. So there may be something to the roots having access to water/moisture 24/7.
soulgardenlove
Marietta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 5, 2007
11:36 AM

Post #3159000

Hey there.. Just did a search and came up with this thread. I found a great PDF with a list. http://www.mortonarb.org/plantinfo/plantclinic/Selection_PlantsWetSites.pdf

I need these plants as well for a low area. Here is the list cut and pasted.

The Morton Arboretum, 4100 Illinois Route 53, Lisle, IL 60532-1293

www.mortonarb.org, 630-968-0074

Selection

Plants Tolerant of Wet Sites

As a general rule, most plants don't like to have their roots wet for extended periods of time.

However, some species grow naturally along riverbanks and other soggy locations, where they

readily adapt to fluctuations in soil moisture or tolerate extended periods of flooding. In areas

with poor drainage, only plants that are able to persist under wet conditions are recommended.

Before planting a tree, shrub, or other plant in a wet site, determine whether your soil is

permanently wet, marginally wet, or wet for only a few days at a time. Different plants tolerate

different levels of wetness. Keep in mind that plant roots need oxygen, and the longer the roots

are saturated, the more difficult it becomes for the plant to survive. How do you know if your

site requires a specially adapted plant? Here are some factors to consider:

• Duration. Many plants can withstand temporary flooding if standing water persists only a

few days. Sites that are flooded longer or more frequently need plants that are specially

adapted to these conditions.

• Soil type. Plants growing in sandy or light soils that are wet but drain quickly are less likely

to be damaged than those growing in heavy clay soils.

• Season. Plants are often better able to withstand flooding in spring and summer than in fall

and winter. During spring and summer, it is not unusual for foliage on a plant that has been

under water to turn brown but, as a general rule, this does not indicate any permanent injury

to the plant.

• Size. Consider the ultimate size of the plant in proximity to other landscape features, such as

plants, buildings, powerlines, etc.

If you have a wet site, you'll want to consider the following list of plants that naturally thrive in

such conditions. These plants can be used in several ways:

USES IN THE LANDSCAPE

• Add an aesthetically appealing appearance to a barren area

• Stabilize shorelines, swales, and streambanks to reduce erosion and improve water quality

• Create a buffer to screen an unsightly view, provide privacy, or reduce noise

• Attract and provide habitat for wildlife

The chart inside provides information about plants recommended by The Morton Arboretum for

their suitability and desirability in the Midwest.

Plants Tolerant of Wet Sites

EVERGREENS

Scientific Name Common Name Scientific Name Common Name

Abies balsamea Balsam Fir

Picea mariana Black Spruce

Chamaecyparis thyoides Southern White Cedar

Picea sitchensis Sitka Spruce

Picea glauca White Spruce

Tsuga canadensis Canadian Hemlock

LARGE TREES (over 40 feet)

Acer rubrum Red Maple

Liriodendron tulipifera* Tulip-Tree

Acer saccharinum*

Silver Maple Metasequoia

glyptostroboides

Dawn Redwood

(deciduous)

Betula lenta Sweet Birch

Platanus occidentalis* Sycamore

Betula lutea Yellow Birch

Populus tremuloides Quaking Aspen

Betula nigra* River Birch

Quercus bicolor* Swamp White Oak

Carya illinoensis Pecan

Quercus palustris* Northern Pin Oak

Celtis occidentalis Common Hackberry

Salix alba ‘Tristis’* Golden Weeping Willow

Gleditsia triacanthos Honey Locust

Taxodium distichum* Bald Cypress

(deciduous)

Larix laricina* American Larch

(deciduous)

Thuja occidentalis* Eastern Arborvitae

Liquidambar styraciflua Sweetgum Ulmus americana American Elm

INTERMEDIATE-SIZED TREES (25-40 feet)

Aesculus glabra Ohio Buckeye

Catalpa speciosa Catalpa

Alnus glutinosa* Black Alder

Cladrastis lutea Yellowwood

Alnus incana* White Alder

Magnolia virginiana* Sweetbay Magnolia

Alnus rugosa* Speckled Alder Nyssa sylvatica* Sourgum

Carpinus caroliniana American Hornbeam

SMALL TREES (15-25 feet)

Aesculus pavia Red Buckeye

Asimina triloba* Pawpaw

Aronia prunifolia Purple Chokeberry

Cornus florida Flowering Dogwood

LARGE SHRUBS (over 8 feet)

Aesculus parviflora Bottlebrush Buckeye

Ilex decidua Possumhaw

Aralia spinosa Hercules’ Club

Lindera benzoin* Spicebush

Baccharis halimifolia Groundselbush

Prunus spinosa Blackthorn

Cephalanthus occidentalis* Buttonbush

Salix purpurea* Purple Willow

Chionanthus virginicus Fringetree

Sambucus canadensis* Elderberry

Clethra alnifolia* Summersweet

Vaccinium corymbosum* Highbush Blueberry

Cornus alba* Tartarian Dogwood

Viburnum dentatum Arrowwood Viburnum

Cornus amonum* Silky Dogwood

Viburnum lentago Nannyberry Viburnum

Cornus racemosa* Gray Dogwood

Viburnum opulus European Cranberrybush

Cornus stolonifera* Redosier Dogwood

Viburnum trilobum American Cranberrybush

Hamamelis vernalis Vernal Witchhazel

MEDIUM SHRUBS (5-8 feet)

Aronia arbutifolia* Red Chokeberry

Myrica pensylvanica Bayberry

Betula pumila Dwarf Birch

Rosa palustris* Swamp Rose

Calycanthus floridus* Carolina Allspice

Rubus odoratus* Purple-flowering

Raspberry

Ilex glabra Inkberry

Viburnum cassinoides Witherod

Ilex verticillata* Winterberry

SMALL SHRUBS (less than 5 feet)

Aronia melanocarpa* Black Chokeberry

Ribes americanum Wild Black Currant

Dirca palustris Leatherwood

Rosa carolina Pasture Rose

Fothergilla gardenii Dwarf Fothergilla

Spiraea alba White Spirea

Itea virginica Virginia Sweetspire

Symphoricarpos sp.* Snowberry, Coralberry

Physocarpus opulifolius* Ninebark

Viburnum nudum Smooth Witherod

Potentilla fruticosa Bush Cinquefoil

Xanthorhiza simplicissima Yellowroot

PERENNIALS

Aconitum napellus Monkshood

Houttuynia cordata Chameleon Plant

Alchemilla mollis Lady’s Mantle

Iris ensata* Japanese Iris

Amsonia tabernaemontana Texas Star

Iris pseudoacorus* Yellow Flag Iris

Aruncus dioicus Goatsbeard

Iris sibirica* Siberian Iris

Astilbe sp. Astilbe

Iris versicolor* Blue Flag Iris

Astrantia major Masterwort

Ligularia sp.* Ligularia

Bergenia sp. Bergenia

Lychnis flos-cuculi Cuckoo Flower

Brunnera macrophylla Siberian Bugloss

Lysimachia clethroides* Gooseneck Loosestrife

Caltha palustris* Marsh Marigold

Monarda didyma* Beebalm

Chelone obliqua Turtlehead

Myosotis scorpioides Forget-Me-Not

Cimicifuga racemosa Snakeroot

Polygonatum sp. Solomon’s Seal

Cornus canadensis Bunchberry

Primula japonica* Japanese Primrose

Dicentra sp. Bleeding Heart

Pulmonaria saccharata Bethlehem Sage

Eupatorium purpureum Joe-Pye Weed

Rodgersia aesculifolia* Rodgersia

Filipendula sp. Meadowsweet

Tiarella sp. Foamflower

Gunnera manicata Gunnera

Tradescantia virginiana* Spiderwort

Helenium sp.* Sneezeweed

Trollius chinensis Chinese Globeflower

Hemerocallis sp. Daylily

Verbena hastata Blue Vervain

Hibiscus moscheutos* Rose Mallow

FERNS

Athyrium filix-femina Lady Fern Onoclea sensibilis Sensitive Fern

Dryopteris celsa Wood Fern Osmunda cinnamonea Cinnamon Fern

Matteuccia struthiopteris Ostrich Fern Osmunda regalis Royal Fern

* plants tolerant of flooded areas for extended periods of time.

Additional reading:

Native Trees, Shrubs, and Vines for Urban and Rural America, Gary L. Hightshoe, Van

Nostrand & Reinhold Co., New York, NY 1998.

Nature’s Heartland—Native Plant Communities of the Great Plains, Bill Boon and Harlen Groe,

Iowa State University Press, 1990.

Plants of the Chicago Region, Floyd Swink & Gerould Wilhelm, The Morton Arboretum, Lisle,

IL, 1994.

Edited to say.. I would check them all out BEFORE planting though.. You wouldn't want any Houttuynia cordata Chameleon Plant in your ground!! :)
Susan

This message was edited Feb 6, 2007 1:25 PM
Cordeledawg
Cordele, GA
(Zone 8a)

February 6, 2007
4:48 PM

Post #3163391

Becky, here's some good info from Walter Reeves site that soulgardenlove posted on the GA forum. Most should be adaptable to your area too.
http://davesgarden.com/forums/p.php?pid=3160558

Deborah♥
soulgardenlove
Marietta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 6, 2007
5:25 PM

Post #3163531

yes, I was just going to come back here and let you know! :) They would be better suited for your area.

:)

Susan
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 6, 2007
10:45 PM

Post #3164520

Oh WOW! That's a great list Deborah and Susan! Thank you so very much! I recognize and have some of those plants in starter pots already! And some folks here from this thread and forum have been very generous to send me seeds, cuttings, and tubers! Some of my plants that I got as tubers are already blooming! And others are not too far behind. I guess a lot of these plants like the cooler weather vs. the hot weather of Florida.
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

February 6, 2007
11:20 PM

Post #3164646

Becky: I've had luck with Louisiana iris. They can do water - wet - damp - moist and can do sun or part shade, and don't seem to care if they get cold in the winter.
Also Lobelia (I have "Ruby Slippers"), and dwarf umbrella palm(Cyperus alternifolius).
Someone also told me creeping jenny does well in a bog, but I haven't tried it myself.

Deb
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 7, 2007
12:34 AM

Post #3164855

Thanks, DebinSC! I do like the Louisiana Irises. I received some Orange Flower Ditch Lily tubers from 2 different folks on the Day Lily forum here on DG. They just took off in the pots, so I think they are going to like the bog garden as well. I also received some canna tubers from a trader on another website. She told me they were small red blooms on the 3 large canna tubers she sent me, but 2 have started blooming and they are pale peach/apricot colored instead. (I wanted red, so I will buy a couple tubers from Wal-Mart when I go shopping this weekend.) Though the pale peach color will look good with the orange ditch lilies in one of the bog garden sections. So the flower color scheme is working out ... much to my surprise!

I'll have to check into the Ruby Slippers Lobelia and the Creeping Jenny!
Wvdaisy
Buffalo, WV
(Zone 7a)

February 7, 2007
2:29 AM

Post #3165165

Creeping Jenny is extremely aggressive. You don't want this running loose.

Lana
soulgardenlove
Marietta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 7, 2007
11:20 AM

Post #3165721

I can't get mine to spread.. wish it would cover the area where I planted it. Maybe this year. It can be cut back through and maintained I think. I know a gardener who really knows his stuff and he uses it for the pretty :)

Susan
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

February 7, 2007
4:13 PM

Post #3166577

Wvdaisy: Yes, I should've said..I have heard Cr.Jenny is agressive. Though, mine has been just the opposite! :) But perhaps in FL, it would be. I'm trying it in a container water garden this year.

Deb
Wvdaisy
Buffalo, WV
(Zone 7a)

February 7, 2007
6:30 PM

Post #3166945

It's aggressive here in WV. It likes the wet best but I've seen it go through a lawn too.

Lana
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 7, 2007
11:08 PM

Post #3167670

This bog garden I am trying to fill has 10 sections in a row that are each 4' X 6' garden beds. I have the Canna as seen in the photo. And some ditch lilies that will possibly go in the same bed as these canna. I was thinking about doing 3 of the beds with that combo and some other plants as well. Maybe every 3rd bed I'd plant this grouping. I don't know? What do you think? Or should I just plant them all together in one or two beds?

The ditch lilies look like those picture in this web link:
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/201/index.html

I hear that the ditch lilies can become invasive. I am thinking of putting a underground barrier around each bed I put them in to try to contain them to just the bed they are supposed to be in. Does anyone have any experience growing them? I am wondering how deep the tuberous roots grow?

Thumbnail by beckygardener

NorCalBrad
Berkeley, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 14, 2007
5:17 AM

Post #3187090

Don't give up on the Colocasia elephant ears just yet. Illustris, Black Magic, and Black Stem Fontanesi form gorgeous clumps that are not extravagantly large (as are the generic Colocasia esculenta, which get huge). And there's a wonderful miniature, Colocasia fallax, that loves water, spreads readily but not aggressively, and stays small. Check it out.
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 15, 2007
2:19 AM

Post #3190471

Thanks, NorCalBrad! I will check those plants out online to find out more about them! I really appreciate your suggestions. :-)
lilypons
Adamstown, MD

February 27, 2007
2:31 AM

Post #3228725

If you like iris--consider Variegated Blue Iris, Laevigata 'Variegata'. They grow upright to 36". Bloom in mid-spring and display beautiful varigated foliage thruout the season.

Also, brand new for 2007, Red Bog Lily, Crnum Menehune. Once you see it, you'll have to have it! Upright to 24"; blooms bright pink during the summer and has interesting foiliage as well. Tropical to most of the US, however, it should be hardy for you.

Enjoy your bog garden!
dax080
Cedar Rapids, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 27, 2007
9:33 PM

Post #3231870

Hi Becky - hope you don't mind a few pics - some of the plant already mentioned, and a few others. These all grow beautifully in my pond and streams -

First, Lobelia Cardinalis (Cardinal Flower) - loves the damp to wet, grows to about 3-4 feet in full sun to partial shade. He's in the center with the piercing red flowers. You can also see Parrot Feather, which is not invasive here, but may be in your area.

Thumbnail by dax080

dax080
Cedar Rapids, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 27, 2007
9:35 PM

Post #3231880

Next is the Japanese Iris, which also loves sitting in water to 3 inches. I've got two pics. One is in the same area as the Lobelia, just ahead and did bloom, although this is the first year he was planted so he is small. This bloom was the first week of June. The lobelia is right beside, but is just beginning to grow.

Thumbnail by dax080

dax080
Cedar Rapids, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 27, 2007
9:37 PM

Post #3231891

Here are a row of Japanese Iris in the bottom pond. None bloomed this year as it was their first year, but you can see that they have grown very well. This pic was taken in late June.

Thumbnail by dax080

dax080
Cedar Rapids, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 27, 2007
9:42 PM

Post #3231903

Here are a couple of pics of the Marsh Marigolds. This one was taken in mid-April, when they first bloomed. You can see they are quite small. Again, the first year they were planted.

Thumbnail by dax080

dax080
Cedar Rapids, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 27, 2007
9:44 PM

Post #3231909

And here they are in early August, MUCH bigger.

Thumbnail by dax080

dax080
Cedar Rapids, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 27, 2007
9:46 PM

Post #3231915

And in mid-September, they bloomed again! So be sure to deadhead. Also, the ajuga (Carpet Bugle) grew into the stream, and seemed to thrive on the moisture.

Thumbnail by dax080

dax080
Cedar Rapids, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 27, 2007
9:48 PM

Post #3231918

Here is a pic taken in mid-June of the Forget-me-nots planted on a floating island in the pond.

Thumbnail by dax080

dax080
Cedar Rapids, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 27, 2007
9:49 PM

Post #3231923

Another surprise was this Creeping Sedum which grew right into the stream - this was taken in mid-September.

Thumbnail by dax080

dax080
Cedar Rapids, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 27, 2007
9:52 PM

Post #3231934

Finally, here is a long shot of the reeds, grasses, iris, lobelia, and lilies in September.

Thumbnail by dax080

snapple45
Holland, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 27, 2007
10:13 PM

Post #3232001

Dax - Just FABULOUS ! Every bit of it.

Mary
soulgardenlove
Marietta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 27, 2007
10:21 PM

Post #3232019

SWEEEET!!
:)

Susan
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 27, 2007
11:14 PM

Post #3232181

Dax - WOWEE! Your pond and stream is fabulous! Thank you for the photos! Loved looking at every one of them! And I do see some plants from your photos that I would like to try in my bog area.

Thank you so much for posting those photos! Looks like you have a bit of water gardener's heaven in your yard! I can hear the water trickling as I was looking at each photo! Did you put it in yourself or have a pro do it for you? I'm really impressed either way!!!!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 27, 2007
11:17 PM

Post #3232190

Absolutely beautiful!!!!!!

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 27, 2007
11:28 PM

Post #3232228

Ooh Ooh! I have to jump in and say pitcher plants! The folks on the carnivorous plant forum talk about bogs all the time so they could definitely help. Plus, there are several pitcher plants native to Florida, and all are endangered. My favorite are the hooded pitcher plants. I like to go hiking in a wetland preserve and they are so cute. They have pretty yellow flowers, and they eat bugs! What more could you want? White-top pitcher plants are also very beautiful. Another good choice for a smaller tree is a loblolly bay. They're also a native that grows in the wetlands and have flowers that look like white camellias. They really caught my eye last summer when I went hiking; I went out and bought one right away! I second the motion on the cardinal lobelia - it's another great, showy native that likes it moist.

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 27, 2007
11:33 PM

Post #3232243

Just thought of another one - pickerel weed. I don 't know if it needs to be fully submerged; I see it growing in and on the edge of ponds. Beautiful purple flowers appear almost year round. There is a pond near a local post office that is full of them and it is just beautiful.
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 27, 2007
11:37 PM

Post #3232254

mellielong - Thanks for some "native" plant suggestions. I like pickerel weed. Do you know if it is consider invasive and on the prohibited Florida list? And I do like the Pitcher plants. I had been considering them. But I am also gardening for butterflies and hummers and wasn't sure if such plants would be a threat to them. How big are the two Pitcher plants that you suggested? I don't know anything about carnivorous bog plants. They are cool looking! Very unique in appearance.

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 27, 2007
11:42 PM

Post #3232270

Actually, pickerel weed is native! I don't know much about hummers, but there are plenty of butterflies in the wetland I go to, and they seem to just ignore the pitcher plants. I think the larvae would be more likely to eat the leaves than to actually crawl in the pitcher so they should be ok. I think with the assortment you'll have, they'll likely just go to the plants they like. And the hummingbirds will LOVE the cardinal lobelia.
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 28, 2007
1:21 AM

Post #3232607

mellielong - Thanks for your opinion of the Pitcher plants and butterflies. Do you happen to know just how big the Pitcher plants get? I have never seen one, so I am not sure. They do look really interesting! ;-) And I will definitely check into the availability of Pickerel weed. Sounds like some nice plants ... all of them! Thank you, thank you!
fredrump
Naples, FL
(Zone 10b)

February 28, 2007
4:35 AM

Post #3233274

Very nice stream. I had something like that in mind but my stream turned out quite different. I had to have higher walls as I'm near wetlands and during the summer things could overflow. We have been known to have some floods in our area.

Even though my stream is different in construction, I will still have various plants growing in it. It just takes time to get all this worked out.

Fred
dax080
Cedar Rapids, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 28, 2007
4:01 PM

Post #3234338

Hi, and thanks SO MUCH for your kind comments - I and my brothers put in the ponds and stream in the spring of 2005, and it was an amazing experience. I am blessed with brothers who are very knowledgable (worked) in the construction trades, and they had the equipment, and knew how to construct it so there was absolutely no leakage, and thus I have a 5' wide stream.

And I've got pickerel weed, I just keep forgetting the name of it - that's the one that looks like an arrow head, right? It has taken longer to get established, but here is a pic from last year on the pond edge with elephant ears and iris.

I hope you don't mind all the pics, just want to maybe give you some ideas of what you might like, etc.
I know it really helped me last year when I was trying to decide what to put where - Dax

Thumbnail by dax080

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 28, 2007
8:12 PM

Post #3235130

Fred - You show post a few photos of your water garden. I love looking at other folks gardens to get ideas.

Dax - I really love your water garden. I bet you spend a lot of time outside! (I would if I had a beautiful, tranquil water garden like you have). You and your brother deserve a big pat on the back for the amazing job you did creating the ponds and stream. I can see that there was a lot of loving details put into this project. Something I am sure that you will treasure forever. Just lovely!!!

This is the Pickerel Weed that I know of:
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1239/

What you have growing along your stream and pond looks like this plant! I do like the plant. Very attractive flowers and foliage. Good suggestion, Mellie!!!

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 28, 2007
9:42 PM

Post #3235452

Purple is my favorite color so pickerel weed naturally caught my eye. I never really noticed this plant until I was sitting outside the post office waiting for my brother to run in and mail a package. All the purple blooms caught my eye so of course I had to get out of the car and see what it was. I like to mix in natives as much as possible - cuts down on the workload since they can fend for themselves a lot! Gives me more time to focus on my fussy plants. And to answer your question, most pitcher plants top out around 12-18 inches, although there is a variety of hooded pitcher plant called the "Okeefenokee Giant" that gets up to three feet! Here's a picture I took of a whole bunch of them in their natural habitat.

Thumbnail by mellielong

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 28, 2007
10:08 PM

Post #3235542

Mellie - I like purple too. My flower scheme in my yard is red, purple, and yellow. I'm gonna have to find a place to purchase some of that Pickerel Weed. There might be a nursery local that sells it. Hmmmm...

The minute I saw your photo, I had a flashback to a wooded area that I have been to that looked similar. I think there used to be a place where I grew up that had tons of those Pitcher Plants growing. I had no idea what they were at the time. Man, that is soooo weird! In wonder who here in Florida would sell them? Thanks for posting that photo. It really puts those plants into perspective. Is the photo of the "Okeefenokee Giant Pitcher Plants" or just the usual variety?
mrpd114
Redding, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 16, 2012
9:04 AM

Post #9207123

I am considering installing 4-6" diameter lodge pine stakes vertically along the front edge of my water garden, each about 4" to 8" high and buried about 6-8" into the ground with a rock and some gravel underneath to aid in good drainage. They are pressure treated and were previously used in a vineyard. Some do have some wide vertical cracks along lengthwise.
I will have to cut each piece and seal the cuts.

What is the best protective coating I can apply to the buried portion of each stake for longevity?
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 16, 2012
5:42 PM

Post #9207889

I have had pickeral weed in both of my ponds and the fish love to hide under them and nibble at the roots. I got mine from along a lake edge here in Clermont. Both of my ponds have waterfalls and there is a lot of water movement and they just float around from sun to shade and back.
I had horsetail rush and it broke a ceramic pot in the pond it grew so big. Planted some in one garden bed and it took over so it went to the garbage man.
I try invasives and if I can cut roots back and control them I keep them. Another way is to put dirt inside of a piece of weed barrier fabric under ground and plant in that. Usually keeps them from spreading. I also have black magic taro down in my pond which is not recommended around fish but none of mine have gotton sick from it yet and its been in for over a year.
I have one butterfly koi pond and one goldfish pond. Really enjoy my fish even tho I have some sad stories regarding desease. Only been a ponder for 4 years so still have a lot to learn but its sure fun.
Dax, your stream is lovely and I'm sure you enjoy it. We built our ponds ourselves. Husb does plumbing and electrical and I do the digging some with a bucket on my little Kubota tractor but unescapable is the shovel work. I'm 75 and I tell folks who thing I'm crazy thats what keeps me
young and dreaming. Right now we are bldg. a little fish shack over top of waterfalls on new pond we just completed. Going to thatch roof w/cedar shakes. I have a strong air staple gun that will do it in no time.
Enjoy your plants and water gardens all.
Bonnie
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 16, 2012
7:21 PM

Post #9208036

Check out Texas Water Lilies web site it is a wealth of info.
Here is their Marginals page. It will give you a lot of ideas for Marginals
http://texaswaterlilies.com/Marginalsorderpage.html
Some of what I have are corkscrew rush, Justicia America, large white calla lily, bloody dock, variegated chameleon,purple pickerel, lance leaf Sagittaria, Sweet Flag, Creeping Jenny (2 varieties),Variegated Iris, Water Celery, horse tail rush, mini cattails, Obedient Plant ( I call this Dis-obedient plant), Cardinal Flower, Fiber Optics grass, pitcher plants. Plus several cannas and Tarros. Quite a few of these are just planted in my gardens and I didn't realize that they could be used in ponds until I saw them listed as Marginals on this site or saw them growing in a local nursery's water plant section.
lovedirtynails
Portland, OR

July 21, 2012
7:44 AM

Post #9213249

I don't know if anyone has suggested this yet, but I have corkscrew rush in a very wet area of my garden. I just divided it and put some in my pond, in a clay pot submerged about 4 inches. I hope that works. It's a real conversation piece.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 21, 2012
8:12 AM

Post #9213276

I have corkscrew rush floating around in both ponds in floating pots and its an easy grower. Don't even take it inside during the winter and we do get some cold nights .
Bonnie
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 21, 2012
8:13 AM

Post #9213277

Yes corkscrew rush does very well, I have one in a pot in my pond submerged to the pot rim. There are several grasses that will do well in wet areas. I had Fiber Optic Grass last year it looked very nice.
FountainMan
McKinney, TX

July 30, 2012
9:10 PM

Post #9224391

Also if your looking for something unusuall look for Mimosa Pudica. The leaves on this plant fold up when you touch them. I grew them a few years ago and I would spend hours playing with the leaves. They thrive in moist boggy soils. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLTcVNyOhUc
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 31, 2012
1:35 AM

Post #9224466

We have had the Corkscrew rush in the bog all winter for several years and it doesn't really seem to affect it My fiber optics grass comes back every year as well. However DH wants to put in new Fiber Optics every year because that one seems to start slowly.
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

August 2, 2012
10:22 AM

Post #9227127

Ligularia for the part shade, very lovely types of leaves. Not sure how they would like your temps though.
C
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

August 2, 2012
11:37 AM

Post #9227214

My ligularia grows over 6' tall and is huge in the sun, even just afternoon sun. Course our sun is a lot cooler as is the ambient temp (63F)
mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

August 2, 2012
2:27 PM

Post #9227375

How about lotus? I took mine out of the pond and put it in a bog and it's doing nicely. Again Texas water lillies

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 3, 2012
2:16 PM

Post #9228509

yes ligularia
"the rocket" very beautiful, spikeyblooms late spring L "Osmonda" yellow daisy like flowers blooming nownow chocolaty big leaves. there are several others.
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

August 4, 2012
9:43 AM

Post #9229298

Pitcher plants are pretty picky about soil and water. They wont grow in "normal" soil and will die if given water with dissolved minerals. I give mine distilled, RO or rain. No city and most wells are bad news for them. As for soil, they need an acidity medium without nutrients.
C
FountainMan
McKinney, TX

August 7, 2012
3:13 PM

Post #9233364

[quote="newtonsthirdlaw"]Pitcher plants are pretty picky about soil and water. They wont grow in "normal" soil and will die if given water with dissolved minerals. I give mine distilled, RO or rain. No city and most wells are bad news for them. As for soil, they need an acidity medium without nutrients.
C[/quote]Peat moss works. Provides the acidity the pitchers like. Make sure the peat is at least 1/2 an inch below the water line so the peat can soak the water up.

On another water gardening forum I'm on we got to discussing a similar thread on making a bog garden. Here's what we came up with, first do you have a pressurized bio filter with a backflush mechanism? What I've heard works is to take the backflush line and run it to the floor of the bog bed. If the bog is connected to the pond this works best. The backflush sludge is pumped to the pebble bed below the bog. The decaying organic matter provides the nutrients for the plants to thrive while at the same time the pond doesn't lose water. I don't have a bio filter but I have my water feed to the header of my water course run under the pebble bed. The organic matter ends up there where it helps feed the plants. And the plants are happy and thriving.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America