Photo by Melody

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Parsley? or just some weed?

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 56, Views: 428
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

December 30, 2006
1:03 PM

Post #3035920

I have no Idea what this little plant is. It servives the frost & grows every where, like a weed. And it very well may be one. But ~ does any one have an idea?

Thanx, Joey

This message was edited Jan 3, 2007 7:43 AM

Thumbnail by music2keep
Click the image for an enlarged view.

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

December 30, 2006
1:05 PM

Post #3035927

Some folks on another forum thinks that it looks like Parsley. If that's the case I could supply the whole east coast! :D
Another shot...

This message was edited Jan 3, 2007 7:44 AM

Thumbnail by music2keep

bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

December 30, 2006
1:22 PM

Post #3035975

No parsley that I know of, but it almost looks from what I can see sort of like one of the Filipendula that I have. I am going out to see if, with this mild winter, any of mine is still green. I wouldn't be eating any of it just yet. Patti
levilyla
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 30, 2006
2:02 PM

Post #3036053

leaves look like it could be a rannunculus

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

December 30, 2006
2:12 PM

Post #3036072

Patti, I looked up the Filipendula & it doesn't seem to be any of those. It's a small plant. If I let it get out of hand it has gotten at least a foot tall. I haven't seen any blooms, even at a foot tall. So I'm clueless (which is quite normal!) :D
Levi, I will look up the rannunculus.

Joey

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

December 30, 2006
2:23 PM

Post #3036104

Well, I have looked up rannunculus in PF & I don't think that is it either. I have the rannunculus all over my retaining wall & they really don't look anything alike. This is a pic of what is on my wall. (& this does have a yellow bloom & not a very good pic, either ~ sorry)

Joey

This message was edited Jan 3, 2007 7:44 AM

Thumbnail by music2keep

gldandrews
Andrews, NC
(Zone 6a)

December 30, 2006
2:30 PM

Post #3036129

Could it be Queen Anne's lace?
http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/70005/

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 30, 2006
3:32 PM

Post #3036275

my guess, something native in the brassica department

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

December 30, 2006
4:07 PM

Post #3036359

Sally, I went thru all of the brassica ( looking @ all) & alas ~ nothing. It has no tuber (corm?). It has a shallow root system.

gldandrews, I checked those as well & the leaves are not close to being similar.

I may need to take some better pix...

Joey
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

December 30, 2006
4:10 PM

Post #3036370

Some of the leaves remind me of Potentilla, look at the bottom link with P anserina for growth habit too.

http://aolsearch.aol.co.uk/image?query=%27potentilla+leaves%27
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

December 30, 2006
4:35 PM

Post #3036451

This site is for Newfoundland but there are a few pics of leaves of Potentilla there.

http://www.digitalnaturalhistory.com/genus_potentilla_index.htm#potentillaargentea

plantladyhou
Katy, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 30, 2006
4:41 PM

Post #3036462

That looks like the "weed" we get. Don't know the real name for it but is a wild form of either of the two low ground covers that puts out flower heads that contain lots of small flowers. (I don't think this is one of my better days, memorywise...)

Ann

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

December 30, 2006
4:49 PM

Post #3036486

Wallaby, here is a pic of a stem with leaves...not qiute the same (?).
Ann, this plant is a weed here as well, but I thought I'd try to find out what it is. I thought that maybe it would have a useful purpose.

Joey

This message was edited Jan 3, 2007 7:45 AM

Thumbnail by music2keep

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

December 30, 2006
4:57 PM

Post #3036512

This pic is a little closer...

This message was edited Jan 3, 2007 7:45 AM

Thumbnail by music2keep

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

December 30, 2006
4:59 PM

Post #3036519

And another...hope this helps, cuz I'm confused. :-)

This message was edited Jan 3, 2007 7:46 AM

Thumbnail by music2keep

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 30, 2006
5:15 PM

Post #3036565

Joey - I never noticed the jagged edges of the leaves - almost venus fly-trappy, but not :)
Trying to figure it out as well.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 30, 2006
5:16 PM

Post #3036566

I see, now it doesn't look like I thought. Is that a square stem? I don't think parsley either.

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

December 30, 2006
5:21 PM

Post #3036580

Sharon, The Potentilla that was mentioned before is a vine & this is not a vine. The roots are small & the whole plant is easy to uproot. I just wonder, by finding fossils with the imprint of the leaves & stems, if it's not some ancient plant? Could that be possible ~ the Appalachian Range is old...

Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

December 30, 2006
5:23 PM

Post #3036588

Sally, the stem is "square-ish".

Thumbnail by music2keep

wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

December 30, 2006
5:52 PM

Post #3036663

Is this closer to a type of Bittercress?

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring-Schaumkraut

http://www.s-weeds.net/familjer/papaverales/brassicaceae/cardimp.html
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

December 30, 2006
6:16 PM

Post #3036717

Some weeds

http://www.rcre.rutgers.edu/weeds/thumbnail.asp

weed links

http://plants.nrcs.usda.gov/cgi_bin/link_categories.cgi?category=linkinv#Ref98
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 30, 2006
6:19 PM

Post #3036728

feverfew?

http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/f/feverf10-l.jpg

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

December 30, 2006
6:21 PM

Post #3036739

Wallaby, it is closest to this one... http://www.s-weeds.net/familjer/papaverales/brassicaceae/cardimp.html
but seems to be a little different. But this is Very Close!
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

December 30, 2006
6:26 PM

Post #3036758

The similarity is there, but yes different. I have some weeds that tend to like wet soils that grow like that, I have been searching for wetland weeds but coming up with nothing positive. The fleshy stems indicate the need for wet soils.
nifty413
Garland, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 30, 2006
6:33 PM

Post #3036783

To me it looks like one of the "ragworts" (Senecio spp.). Perhaps a young "common ragwort" which tends to act like a biennial.

http://www.dgsgardening.btinternet.co.uk/ragwort.htm

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

December 30, 2006
6:58 PM

Post #3036842

Thanx Wallaby for the last 2 links...I do believe it's a native for sure. And the Bittercress is about the closest thin to it.

I think I'll leave this as unsolved for the time being.

Thank you all for tyring so hard! I appreciate it sooooo Much!

Joey

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

December 30, 2006
7:07 PM

Post #3036853

Nifty, the roots aren't the same, but the leaves are somewhat similar. Thank you. :-)
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

December 31, 2006
12:04 AM

Post #3037497

I took a picture of the FILIPENDULA hexapetala Flore Plena, but looking at your later pictures it is certainly isn't it. It is nearly Jan and this plant is still green! Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

December 31, 2006
12:56 AM

Post #3037610

Patti, It's the same way here, too. The weather has been so warm this month that all the plants are confused!
When I went out to take some more pix of my semi-unidentified plant I found this! sprouting!

Siberian Iris!

Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 31, 2006
2:38 AM

Post #3037958

joey- maybe 'some cress' is as close as it'll get. leaves are sort of queen annes lace like, but with no tap root...yellow wood poppy was the only other thing possibly resembling it in my flower book.(never seen that personally) this probably doesn't have a great flower therefore not in a flower book.
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

December 31, 2006
2:48 AM

Post #3037987

sure is nicer than the weeds I am fighting. Looks like I planted rye grass and common clover in the flower beds. All pretty and green.
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

December 31, 2006
2:56 AM

Post #3038002

wallaby1, I love the Rutgers weed page you posted, no doubt I will have nightmares about weeds tonight or perhaps about sparrows and starlings. Oh, my ! Music2keep, in one picture the stem of your mystery plant looks square. Is it? Patti

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 31, 2006
3:59 AM

Post #3038096

I was looking at that possible square stem too, but it's actually the middle of the very serrated /compound leaf, isn't it...so I'm not thinking mint anymore.

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

December 31, 2006
11:21 AM

Post #3038333

Oh, rats, Sally. I was really hoping it was something I could use, like a mint.:(
Yes, Patti, they are squarish.

So do you all think that I should go ahead & mark this as "solved"? Since it's some sort of cress?

River ~ DH is from Hammond (LA) & is telling me that he knows how to get rid of the weeds at your house. I'm not so sure I should tell you...as he tends to be rather silly at times.

Joey
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

December 31, 2006
12:53 PM

Post #3038451

Squarish helps, but I would go do an elimination quiz for plants. It is kind of fun. This is a good one. http://www.realtimerendering.com/flowers/flowers.html I use to have a great wildflower book that was quite old that had the plants listed in the elimination format. It was for New York, but was great for New England. I lost it due to a broken pipe some years ago when 700 books (many of my treasured garden book collection) were destroyed by water and wet plaster. I have been gradually replacing them. Patti

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

December 31, 2006
1:05 PM

Post #3038475

Patti, that is so sad about your books. Are they being hard to replace? Are they hard to find? I cannot imagine loosing 700! I think I would have to just sit down & cry! Thanx for the link ~ well ~ you know where I'll be all day! :D It's gonna be a rainy, dreary old day any way! Gee, this year has flown!

Joey
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

December 31, 2006
1:40 PM

Post #3038535

Good link Patti, there is one for tree ID's too where you go through eliminating or rather selection processes, it seems to work. The Rutgers site I found by navigating through several links on links.

Oh gee, nigtmares about sparrows and starlings, I hope you had a good night's rest, weed free too! I had a funny nightmare about all sorts of silly things coming together, not too distressing, but I could piece together all the events by things that have been recently just part of normal every day events, mostly on the wrong side of what we want. I think the stress of the night's events got the brains survival awareness triggers working.

The plant's stems to me look like they are rounded on the outer side, flat on the inner face where they are all emerging from a central point and perhaps flattened by this. I grew some watercress years ago, it has a similar habit. I wonder if we could do an indepth search on cresses, it may lead to something if not a cress.

bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

December 31, 2006
1:49 PM

Post #3038553

I was a book dealer for more than 30 years and my DH had two major passions in his life, boats and books. I think I am now maybe # 5 on his list! Replaced by # 1, our DS, followed by #2, our 2 DDogs, then Books and boats then #5, me. At least I am still on his list! We both had large collections of rare and peculiar books. Some valuable and some just part of our family. We only lost the main floor and lower level of the house, so all the books upstairs are fine, but most of my garden books and a great many literary treasures were lost. My husband spent days sitting among the soggy piles recording the title, author, pub, edition etc so we could claim the correct insurance and have a list to know what was lost. However some of the books never made the list, as they where shoveled into dumpsters by the first crew to show up to help. They didnt realize that we needed to record them. We lost a huge number of our family photographs, all our tax records, my garden journals and most of our antique furniture which had to be restored. So it isn't the same and far less valuable. We lost some of the art on our walls, but the most important ones managed to be saved. We spent two years in litigation with the insurance company and couldn't live in our house for more than a year and they still manage to cheated us out of a some money. I feel so sorry for the Katrina victim's. We had enough money to repair our house while they disputed everything for nearly three years. We also had the money to hire a big gun lawyer to go after them. They just tried to make us settle for nothing after having paid them total replacement insurance for 20 years. That is what they have been doing down south. Criminal. I had no interest during this period in gardening as we didn't live here and the construction crew was parked all over the place. So it was a mess. But now it is past. I think I will try to find my lost wildflower book today by searching ADDALLBOOKS, which is the best search engine for OP books. Good luck with your weed (afraid so). Patti
levilyla
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 31, 2006
1:52 PM

Post #3038559

bbrook...I know your feeling...we lost our entire house and EVERYTHING in it by fire 24 years ago. Some things are not replaceable.
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

December 31, 2006
2:11 PM

Post #3038603

levilyla, Fire is far more difficult. We could sort of see what was gone. You will never know what is really missing aside from the obvious, until you need it or want it. Such a sad thing for you. Kind of like my wildflower book, that I now remember is gone. I hadn't thought about that book in years and how I enjoyed using it until music2keep was trying to Id her plant. Now I want it back. On the lighter side, when I first saw the mess, I got a strange look on my face and my DH wanted to know what I was thinking. I remarked that I was sad, but that I was truly astounded that two sane people could have so much stuff (not the word I used)! Patti

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

December 31, 2006
2:13 PM

Post #3038613

Oooo, Patti & Levi. My heart hurts for you both! I cannot imagine...
Patti, that totally infuriates me when ins. co's act like you owe Them. I would have changed company's in a heart beat & hope that you did. If it weren't for us paying folks, they would be out of business. Argggg! I feel it's all amoney racket, anyway.

Well, gone to do some more checking!

Joey
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

December 31, 2006
2:28 PM

Post #3038646

Funny thing was that they had just told most of their long time Nantucket Customers prior to our damage that we would all be removed from their list soon, so our local broker was shopping for a new company for us when it happened. I think they didn't like the fact that most people living in places where the property values are all very high are more likely to challenge them legally when they don't pay up and the repair cost are high. Duh, we paid for it. The law firm we hired said this company, HINGHAM, was notorious for this type of stalling and bullying tactics. We had only made one tiny small claim against them in all those years of paying big premiums. Our local brokers where useless and obviously working for them, not us. We have a different carrier now, but I doubt it would make a difference. Patti
levilyla
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 31, 2006
2:51 PM

Post #3038687

We had a wonderful insurance company and they paid replacement costs for everything...even for our housing while we were out of the house. It was fun shopping though...hee he he

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

December 31, 2006
3:52 PM

Post #3038850

Well, Patti, I'm glad it's all behind you (the bad stuff). Does it make it more fun(?~lack of a better word) to be hunting for books? I know you miss the ones you haven't replaced, but I do like a good "search"!
Levi, I'm glad you had some "agreeable" folks to deal with. Those are rare & hard to come by!

Well, I had better get busy...many things to do.

If I don't talk to you guys any more this day...Happy New Year!

Joey
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 31, 2006
8:11 PM

Post #3039674

Music2keep: Don't have a clue as to what the first plant is ... does look a bit like parsley! The plant on your retaining wall looks like what I have growing in my backyard - Wedelia or "Trailing Yellow" ... for some reason I can't get the PlantFiles Link to copy ... having some minor computer problems today! But, if you go to Plantfiles and type in Wedelia, there are a couple of different ones that are shown.

Wedelia grows like a weed here in Florida ... I have it growing through and in the grass in my backyard ... it's pretty, but takes over down our way!

Lin

plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 31, 2006
8:22 PM

Post #3039715

Here's another link to see what the Wedelia looks like. In my yard it grows in clumps as well as trailing stems. In full sun it gets the yellow flowers but I have some in shade that doesn't bloom ... not enough sun. I have pulled it up and planted it in hanging baskets ... makes a nice hanging plant in full sun with the yellow flowers.

http://www.floridata.com/ref/W/wedelia.cfm

Lin

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

January 2, 2007
1:56 PM

Post #3045226

Lin, The leaves are quite different on the plant with the yellow bloom. I think that it may be a butter cup, some sort of rannunculus, (the one also in with my Iris). It's very aggressive, but I really like it. I can treat it any way I like & it keeps on "truckin".
The one in the 1st 2 pix...???? Some sort of cress? I really haven't got a clue...close but no cigar.

Joey

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 2, 2007
4:12 PM

Post #3045707

hi joey-- I agree with you that you have a buttercup. I like them too.
How big is your"cress" approx? I'm going to look for a pictrue of hairy rock cress (A. hirsuta)

nope no dice

This message was edited Jan 2, 2007 12:14 PM

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

January 2, 2007
8:04 PM

Post #3046425

Hi, Sally. The thing that I think is a cress...in the #4 pic that I posted is 6" long. The plant is rather small, but if I let it go the whole plant has gotten as tall as a couple of feet (with the "spikey" things on the top of it). ~ Now ain't I plant illiterate! :D
Joey

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 3, 2007
1:24 AM

Post #3047427

Hey, illiterate-- I know what you mean, so who cares about all the right words?
It does look close to the bittercrss that wallaby sent you, but a litle fuzzy. looks like we need a naturalist from WV to chime in, too bad none has.
But thank you very much because this has gotten me an ID onsomething in my yard, I've beeen wondering about, turns out I have hairy bittercress aka shotweed. That's neat, beacuse 1- finally have a name and 2- its a tasty edible, acc to plantfiles! Hope you get the same news on your weed ...I wonder if any of the midatlantic has seeen this.. maybe one f them knows it but just isn't into the ID forum .

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

January 3, 2007
2:13 AM

Post #3047625

Sally, Hart may float around here. I didn't know there was anyone else from this neck of the woods around. I may have to resort to the WVU web site. On rare occasions I can get a correct answer, But I suppose I should check with Va-Tech. They seem to be more into the cyber thingy.
But I'm glad you found an ID for one of yours! :D

Well, gonna go surfin'!
Joey
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 3, 2007
2:41 AM

Post #3047724

Joey are the leaves aromatic when crushed?
What color is the sap if you break the stem?

Ric

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

January 3, 2007
2:48 AM

Post #3047762

Hey Ric, If it's aromatic I don't know it, but will check in the morning. The sap is rather clear & minimal...Got any ideas? (:D ~ still grinning about the hot tub.)
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 3, 2007
2:50 AM

Post #3047770

Well clear rules out a lot of plants...
Non or aromatic helps on weeds and wildflowers.
104 in the Tub...LOL

Ric

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

January 3, 2007
2:56 AM

Post #3047783

LOL! yer a nut!
Well, tell me about the aromatic thingy as far as weeds & flowers. Let me guess...if there's no smell it's a weed. How am I doin'?
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 3, 2007
3:50 AM

Post #3047948

Nope some 'weeds' are very aromatic especially the Rannunculus and Canabis...
It just helps rule out what it ain't.
Like Wallaby I was thinking Bittercrest at first.
That yellow flower screams rannunculus to me though.
I didn't notice the hairs on the leaves and had ruled out a few plants.
Let me look over my notes...

Ric

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

January 3, 2007
11:59 AM

Post #3048310

Ric, I went thru & edited the 1st 6 pix. #3 pic Is Rannunculus. It's a vine & that's what I have on my retaining wall. In pix #1,2,4,5,6, they are all of the same plant I need an ID for. It isn't a vine, but grows everywhere the Rannunculus doesn't. I think the one in pic #1, ect. prefers the shade, as it is in my Hosta beds.
I like to "push buttons" & hope I don't go too far...Are you sure the hot tub was only 104*? :D

Joey

I'll go out in a bit to check for smell...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 22 Nov 3, 2014 6:02 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America