-
AuthorContent
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 29, 2001
2:58 PM

Post #9539

My most special cutting is rotting from the top. It's the only one I've ever had do that. is there a way I can save it before it rots to the bottom???
Brugmansia
FSH, TX

July 29, 2001
3:24 PM

Post #102332

cutt off the affected part. When in doubt, cut. Don't let it spread.
Brugmansia
FSH, TX

July 29, 2001
3:25 PM

Post #102336

Is your cutting not getting enough humidity? Is it in the house or the green house? Put it in the greenhouse.
elise
Neptune Beach, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 29, 2001
3:30 PM

Post #102337

tig- this is what happened to my cuttings. turned mushy from top then worked its way down. some i had outdoors and some in. i also tried cutting the mushy part off as brugmansia mentioned. and i withheld water. in my case it did not work. the rotting continued. it seemed to turn brown, mushy, and hollow out from top of cutting then move down. im still stumped! good luck with yours. i know you dont want to lose your special cutting!
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 29, 2001
3:31 PM

Post #102339

I'll put it out in the shade with the others, it's plenty humid here!!! That's not a problem:)
thanks!!
Brugmansia
FSH, TX

July 29, 2001
3:33 PM

Post #102342

can you post a picture? I have had them rot from the top down before during the winter months when they were indoors. Possible bug damage? Hmm, you have me stumped. For what its worth, I grow all my Brugmansia in full sun. My Culebra is also grown in Full sun. Full sun grown Brugmansia seem to flower more and sooner from what I have seen. Of course if they can be in partial shade during the hours of 11-2 its probably best for most growers.

This message was edited Sunday, Jul 29th 11:36 AM
elise
Neptune Beach, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 29, 2001
3:45 PM

Post #102350

is it ok to put rooted cuttings in full sun in the beginning?
Brugmansia
FSH, TX

July 29, 2001
3:54 PM

Post #102352

Elise, if you get cuttings from me then they are fine in the full sun as soon as you get them as all of mine are grown in full sun. If you get them from someone else, they may get sunburned when you first place them out in full sun if you don't let them get used to it slowly and over a few days.
arlene
Newberry, FL
(Zone 8B)

July 29, 2001
4:07 PM

Post #102356

TIG, i am going to stir up the pot. i have had cuttings rot from the top, basically that had no leaves. i have also had them rot and then a new baby plant will pop up from the side, you might wait and see if that happens.
also if you are planning on planting in the ground, do it while they are little. i totally disagree, at least for my zone, in moving up from pot to pot, the kinds of brugs at least that i have. i rooted about 25 frosty pinks in 1-3 gallon pots, all but a couple rooted just fine and the ones in the 3 gallon pots are full of leaves and a couple of feet tall, the ones i 1 gallon pots are doing well but not that tall. these cuttings were made around 6/24, plus or minus a few days. of course FP is probably one of the easiest to root and a fast grower...
then dr seuss i received as a cutting around 6/1, the one i put in the ground is about 10X as big as the poor one that stayed in a small rooting pot...gotta get that other one in the ground.
i don't know about that rotting from the top but i have done that to some, in the summer time i will certainly root in big pots from now on, easier for me with no green house to keep the water more stable instead of a little pot drying out so fast.
Brugmansia
FSH, TX

July 29, 2001
4:24 PM

Post #102364

Thanks for posting Arlene, and I would have to agree with you. The size of the pot stunts the growth of Brugmansia considerably as well as how aerated the growing media is. Personally, I have had one of my Culebra die to the ground from the top now that I think about it and it did come back from the ground. That was just a single isolated case though out of many. Brugmansia grown in the ground bloom quicker and grow much faster than Brugmansia in tiny pots. So much faster that it means the difference between taking 3 years to bloom from seed and just 7 months to bloom from seed. Thats the difference in pot grown and ground grown Brugmansia.
arlene
Newberry, FL
(Zone 8B)

July 29, 2001
5:02 PM

Post #102375

thanks brugman, and i thnk i forgot to say if you are going to grow in a pot put it in your biggest pot early!
brugman, gonna post some pics for you tonight, i have buds on a couple of hybrids.
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 29, 2001
5:33 PM

Post #102397

This is my new Culebra cutting. I put it in mixed soil just like I have done every other one, and put in med-low light until I see growth. This has worked for every cutting I've gotten. It's about one ince down from top. This is a small cutting, could that be the problem and should I have done differently with this one? I took a very small cutting of Dr Seuss and it's rooted and growing, but this one has me stumped. I'm not giving up, just want to know if there's something I should be doing. I did cut out the top.
arlene
Newberry, FL
(Zone 8B)

July 29, 2001
5:35 PM

Post #102399

tig, do you have a vitamin b rooting hormone kind of thing? i have some schultz transplant plus or something like that, vitamin bs and rooting hormone, might try a shot of that next time you water.
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 29, 2001
5:37 PM

Post #102403

I have that!!!! I'll go do that now:) thanks
Brugmansia
FSH, TX

July 29, 2001
5:43 PM

Post #102406

Tig, just for that snide remark-indeed small cutting. I will have you know that I have never sent out a cutting that wasn't at least 4 times the size of that same cultivar I have rooted. I root everything I send out myself first. IF I can root it, then I send out cuttings that are better than what I have rooted. I never send out cuttings smaller or greener than what I have rooted of that exact same hybrid or cultivar. Bad shipping, or bruised in shipping, that I would accept. Never blame the plant though. Its never the plants fault. Always either the shippers fault, growers fault, or the mailmans fault. Seeing as that cuttings was a free one though...Hmm, you are happy with the others that came with it? Tig, I just want you to know its okay to kill a Culebra-I have many more where that came from. I also want you to know that I have killed a Culebra or two in the past so again, don't worry about it. For now, lets blame it one the weather. Its as much at fault as I am. Seriously, I don't think I can handle any more ridicule. After this, I am giving up growing Brugmansia altogether. Ommm, where is my Brugmansia wishing well wand. If I can make her come back to life I will do my best. Thinking positive and playing some Blues Clues in Front of her. Have you tried letting her watch Sesame Street? Ahh, if not, perhaps some light music may soothe her.
-----In all reality, it is probably the green portion that died on it? If that is the case it was most likely a case of dehydration. After a plant cell shrinks from lack of water for a certain duration their is no coming back from the dead for it. The top most part that is the greenest will suffer the most damage and the part in the ground the least amount of damage. Just a guess, and I could be wrong. It could be that it was bruised in shipping as well. Never fear though I will only send out rooted Culebra from now on. Sincerly Tig, you know I like you even if I am not the best at saying so and I do love it when you and Karma post in her. Of course I like it when Arlene posts in here as well, but she has been buisy I take it as of late. Must be the too much Brugmansia disease that Arlene has come down with. Looking forward to more posts by our friend Arlene.

This message was edited Sunday, Jul 29th 1:49 PM
arlene
Newberry, FL
(Zone 8B)

July 29, 2001
5:56 PM

Post #102413

brugman, i have a possee organized for a rescue party, we are ready on a moment's notice barring emergency trips to the dentist and baseball games. not into those beautiful slow growers yet, i want blooms now. i have 2 of your hybrids with buds, gonna post you some pics today or soon. supposed to have a herrenhauser garten on the way, can't wait on that, and several more. i am kinda lucky with summer trading, i have a PO box in air conditioning. have gotten some beautiful plants in the mail in the last few weeks. and my yellow brug i posted the pic of trying to id, well it is a jutner orange just like her sis i planted her next to before i knew they were the same.
arlene
Brugmansia
FSH, TX

July 29, 2001
6:02 PM

Post #102415

Arlene, seedlings of mine or named hybrids from my collection? I know you have bunches of both so I can't wait to see pictures regardless. Thinking the Seedlings are the ones you are talking about though? Post pictures and hybridize-or is it hybridize and post pictures? Ahh, just remember the true color can take a full day and sometimes 2 days to show from the first flower. Ahh, can't wait, you have me sitting still at this screen.
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 29, 2001
6:08 PM

Post #102421

OMG, I'm so sorry, that was NOT meant to be a snide remark! I promise! I meant that it wasn't big and woody. I would never ever purposely put you down.
Now, I cut her head off, what's left looks great, just like anything else I've cut.
I gave her some root stimulator. She thanked me and also for her place among the others.
I will borrow my granddaughters Blues Clues and Sesame ST tapes, I thought it was rock and roll they liked! :)
This cutting wasn't bruised, and it was packed wonderfully. This is totally my fault, that's why I want to know what I did wrong and how to fix it.
As for being happy with the others? I'm delirious with them all, including this one, even if I kill her. I apologize for not making it clear that taking care of brugs is my life anymore:)
arlene
Newberry, FL
(Zone 8B)

July 29, 2001
6:12 PM

Post #102423

move around, they are buds, probaby a week or so before we know, yes, your seedlings. now you'll see my sick sense of humor, i almost killed one of your seedlings by over fertilizing. it has a bud and looks just terrible, but that bud is hanging on and i expect soon to have that plant beautiful again. i think this may cheer lantana, don't know. I have the urge to send her a nice rooted plant.
at least a couple of your babies are approaching 5 feet, mostly at least 4, and that tiny pretty baby i just put in the ground, i really wanted in a way to put it in a big pot, especially if it's going to stay relatively small, finally got it in the ground. but the one with the bud should open within a week or so i think, the one i tried to murder, we'll see, a little longer. but i think in a month or so it will be gorgeous and covered in blooms.
Brugmansia
FSH, TX

July 29, 2001
6:17 PM

Post #102427

Tig, see if I ever spoil you again with large cuttings. I hope you know I love it when you post whether its bad or good things. We can't learn from each other if we aren't honest. As for my snide comment above...I must confess I was just joshing with you. You know I think the world of you guys in here. If I send you something in a trade and it dies I want to know about it. If I send you something for free and it dies I still want to know about it. Seriously Tig, I was just joking with you. Sorry if I upset you. I am not the best with people. Best to stick to the Brugs for me. Ahh, and I think you are right Tig, it is rock and roll that Brugs like best. Tig, no matter how much you try, you will never be as good at killing Brugmansia as I am. I mean that from the bottom of my heart. Your just no competition for me. Come on, I dare you-we can go toe to toe with the round up.
Hugs for you Tig and much luck in your Growing the Cuttings I sent you to hybridizing size.
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 29, 2001
6:21 PM

Post #102428

I was pretty sure you were joking, but I sincerely love my Brugmansias too!! Oh, and spoil me all you want:)
And you will have to spell it out next year when I start trying to hybridize. I'm a total loss as to which part is which part. Maybe I need to study botany during the winter:)
SDoglover1512
Port Huron, MI
(Zone 5b)

July 29, 2001
9:02 PM

Post #102489

hey tiG,
one of mine started doing that, and at the same time, all growth on it came to a stnd still. I took it out of the ground, took a super cutting off of it, and it is rooting like a madman in water. I just figured that maybe it hadn't had the best start in life so i would give it a new one. that was 4 days ago, and it is already showing the little nubs where the roots will be forming. can't answer your problem;however, this is working for me.
sandy
Brugmansia
FSH, TX

July 29, 2001
11:48 PM

Post #102590

Sandy, you and others...hmm, perhaps now would be an appropriate time to tell everyone that I have rooted Culebra in water and in soil so it goes both ways. I am so slow sometimes, but yes, water is a valid way with the Culebra.
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 29, 2001
11:50 PM

Post #102594

(now he tells me)
Brugmansia
FSH, TX

July 29, 2001
11:54 PM

Post #102597

Tig, no one ever said I was perfect. Sometimes my brain is very slow to kick into gear. I try most every Brugmansia in soil and water. I will tell you that most of my Dr.Sues hybrids are extremely good water rooters so far. In fact, I have even rooted on of my Dr.Sues x Frosty pink hybrids in near freezing waters this winter outside.
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 29, 2001
11:56 PM

Post #102600

now I was teasing:) really though, should I take it and put it in water? or leave as is?
Brugmansia
FSH, TX

July 30, 2001
12:02 AM

Post #102605

Tig,
I leave it in your hands. Into everyones hands a little Brugmansia death must flow. I wish you luck, but just remember that with all the Culebra going out, you will be able to try rooting that one again even if you fail this time.
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 30, 2001
12:07 AM

Post #102608

ack!! my hands??? I don't like any flower dying, much less this!!! I will succeed:) (why did I say that, oh the pressure!!)
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

July 30, 2001
2:52 AM

Post #102698

TiG
It could be caused by botrytis. It's very common fungus disease in humid weather. A couple of drops of Tea Tree oil in 4 oz. of water will take care of the fungus and increase the rooting of the cutting. Just spray it on, but not in the hot sun. I've taken tip cuttings when I was rooting 8000 cuttings for a commercial landscaper and some of them had the problem that you describe.
I forgot to mention, some of the tip cuttings are now 5-6 feet tall and blooming. Some that were left in the rooting trays are just 12 to 18 inches tall and are the same age as the big ones.
Cala

This message was edited Sunday, Jul 29th 10:54 PM
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 30, 2001
3:33 AM

Post #102723

thanks Calalily!! I'll give them a shot in the morning:) I love tea tree oil.
arlene
Newberry, FL
(Zone 8B)

July 30, 2001
4:33 AM

Post #102752

Calalily, can you use diluted tea tree shampoo?
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 30, 2001
4:34 AM

Post #102753

arlene, Walmart carries tea tree oil, at least ours does.
Brugmansia
FSH, TX

July 30, 2001
5:11 PM

Post #102910

Calalily,
Wow, off to wal-mart again. And to think I was just there dropping off a few plants. Tea tree oil, isn't that used for acne as well? Ahh, the things we learn. Thanks so much for the new info Calalily. New to me at least.
Brugmansia
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

July 31, 2001
3:24 AM

Post #103225

Brugmansia and TiG
Yes, tea tree oil is good for lots of things. It will help seeds germinate, help difficult cuttings root and control fungus (even tonail, or so I've heard). It is an excellent insecticide and a drench will kill fungus gnats. We use lots of organic things at the green houses and in my gardens, so I'm always on the lookout for new things that work.
Arlene
I would be very careful with the shampoo. Something in it may spot your leaves. I used to go to the natural food store, but have discovered wal-mart sells the tea tree oil for half the price. They also have a great repellent with neem in it that is safe for humans , plants and pets. Neem is also a great fungicide, but don't spray it in the heat of the day or in the hot sun.
Cala
MsBatt
Florence, AL
(Zone 7a)

August 1, 2001
3:37 AM

Post #103830

You people are giving me a complex. Eight months ago, I was the only person I knew who grew brugs, and Frosty Pink was the only one I had! I was sooo delighted to get on the Internet and find other people I could talk to about this passion, then you all started telling me about kinds I'd never heard of, and making me want them. Then you started swapping cuttings like gossip, and rooting them right and left. Now you're even KILLING them in ways I've never done!
Seriously, I've killed quite a few cuttings this summer, and the ones that have taken for me haven't grown off like I expected (I believe THAT'S my Hound's fault) and I feel like a poor red-headed step-child. Especially when you talk about rooting them by the THOUSANDS. All I want is just one...of every kind...(*grin*)
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 1, 2001
3:47 AM

Post #103832

only *one* of us talks about killing them on purpose:)

crestedchik

crestedchik
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 1, 2001
9:09 PM

Post #104176

Be nice tiG,not everyone can take a lawnmower to their plants and end up with a gizzillion more.
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 1, 2001
9:36 PM

Post #104190

that's so true!!! LOL!
Brugmansia
FSH, TX

August 1, 2001
11:27 PM

Post #104253

Ahh, well if the truth be known, seeds are how I get so many. I don't really bother with cuttings all that much. I can say that seedlings seem to give me much more to look for as I know that when I get a bloom its the only one of its kind. A true original even if its a dog. And if I get a beaut, then I am the first to see it bloom and that is worth the 7 or so months till a seedling blooms.
irish
Saint Petersburg, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 1, 2001
11:44 PM

Post #104266

brugmansia
Just wondering how to go about getting my brug to poloenate. I am not sure how to g0 about it.
MsBatt
Florence, AL
(Zone 7a)

August 2, 2001
3:16 AM

Post #104385

Well, now I've sunburned one to death, SO THERE!

I could just cry---it was a sanguinea, the onliest one I'd even had, and it was doing so well---I thought it was ready for a little more sun, but boy was I wrong.
brugcrazy
Vancouver Island, BC
(Zone 8b)

August 2, 2001
3:29 AM

Post #104388

Put it back in the shade and cut off any sunburnt leaves.It should survive. I don't have that problem in British Columbia at the moment as our weather is not very hot, not even for here. I sunburned a bunch of brugs earlier this summer by putting them out too early and they are all fine. If you have killed it, do not despair, I will start a bunch in the fall from cuttings and send you one. I have successfully started lots of sanguineas from cuttings and have one very straggly sanguinea which will get chopped up soon.
Glory
Biloxi, MS
(Zone 8b)

August 5, 2001
3:10 AM

Post #105826

What department is Tea Tree Oil located in WalMart? Sounds like something I must have for my greenhouse.
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 5, 2001
3:19 AM

Post #105830

pharmacy with supplements
Glory
Biloxi, MS
(Zone 8b)

August 5, 2001
3:26 AM

Post #105834

Thanks tiG
Brugmansia
FSH, TX

August 5, 2001
12:53 PM

Post #105933

Irish, I have posted on hybridizing Brugmansia in here before if memory serves me. Think perhaps in the propagation room as well... http://davesgarden.com/showthread/50924.html

This message was edited Sunday, Aug 5th 8:59 AM

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Brugmansias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
it you take cuttings from a blooming plant.. arlene 52 Dec 21, 2010 12:39 PM
Great Brugmansia hybrids fast Brugmansia 24 Jul 8, 2013 12:49 AM
How Many Other Canadian Brug Lovers Are Here? Ladybug 30 Aug 7, 2010 8:24 PM
Labeled Parts - 2nd try poppysue 15 Jan 8, 2010 2:19 PM
parentage monika 80 Nov 14, 2011 6:36 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America