Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Bird Identification: CLOSED: can anybody ID this bird?

Communities > Forums > Bird Identification
bookmark
Forum: Bird IdentificationReplies: 24, Views: 208
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
lilyfantn
Kingsport, TN
(Zone 6b)

January 1, 2007
3:44 PM

Post #3041750

This bird was stunned after hitting my dining room window. Luckily it flew off after about 15 minutes. I took the opportunity to get some close shots. I'm thinking it is some kind of thrush? Once I started looking at pictures I realized there were so many that look similar that I couldn't be positive.

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Click the image for an enlarged view.

lilyfantn
Kingsport, TN
(Zone 6b)

January 1, 2007
3:46 PM

Post #3041757

Here is another view of it.

Thumbnail by lilyfantn

pelletory
Marlton, NJ

January 1, 2007
3:50 PM

Post #3041778

Thats a nice pic Susan! I'm not familiar with thrush if thats what it is. If we don't get it positive ID'd here I'll D mail you.
pelletory
Marlton, NJ

January 1, 2007
3:52 PM

Post #3041784

My first thought was a juvenile Carolina Wren but we'll see what others think.
gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

January 1, 2007
4:08 PM

Post #3041848

My first impulse was a type of wren...it sure is cute!
Magpye
NW Qtr, AR
(Zone 6a)

January 1, 2007
4:19 PM

Post #3041883

lilyfantn ..

Can you give some info .. relative to its size, for general scale comparison (ex: Titmouse/ChikAdee or Robin-sized) -?-

I'm with you .. looks to be some species of Thrush (Catharus):

There are several, that migrate thru TN. Perhaps the Swainson's Thrush, if a larger bird - and the Hermit Thrush which appears to Winter in the area.

If smaller - may could be in the Warbler family, for there's a few species that have the dotty/spotty breast areas.

* Happy New Year, to ya .. also!

- Magpye
lilyfantn
Kingsport, TN
(Zone 6b)

January 1, 2007
5:20 PM

Post #3042105

Thanks for your help everyone. I don't think it is a Carolina Wren because they have such long bills and they have that distinctive white stripe that goes from their eye along the side of their heads.

Magpye, thanks for your help. If I can remember, it was smaller than a robin but larger than a goldfinch. I first thought Hermit Thrush and when I looked it up I noticed all those others too lol!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 1, 2007
5:22 PM

Post #3042120

I'm gonna haveto move my bookshelf closer to the 'puter for these ID threads!!

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

January 1, 2007
6:10 PM

Post #3042302

Hermit Thrush - note the fairly bold breast spotting, and the slightly rufous tone to the primaries and primary coverts. Swainson's is greyer-toned above with less contrast in the primaries, and less prominent breast spots (and would be in South America now, anyway!)

Resin
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

January 1, 2007
6:14 PM

Post #3042316

It really doesn't look like a Carolina Wren to me. Could be wrong, but we have alot of 'em and they are a rustier brown and have a more yellow-buff underside.
Deb
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

January 1, 2007
6:19 PM

Post #3042344

pretty sure you have a Veery. Great pics
lilyfantn
Kingsport, TN
(Zone 6b)

January 1, 2007
6:38 PM

Post #3042419

Wow, you guys are good! I looked up Hermit and Swainson's thrush and thought it was both lol. Then I looked at some Veery pics and decided it was that too. I'm hopeless ha ha. Here is another photo that shows more of its back.

Thumbnail by lilyfantn

Magpye
NW Qtr, AR
(Zone 6a)

January 1, 2007
7:10 PM

Post #3042547

lilyfantn ..

In consideration of that last pic you've provided - check on the Gray-cheeked Thrush (Catharus minimus)

- Magpye

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

January 1, 2007
8:16 PM

Post #3042836

I'm still for Hermit - not least because that's the only one you'll find in TN at this time of year, all the other Catharus thrushes are in South America at the moment.

Resin
Magpye
NW Qtr, AR
(Zone 6a)

January 1, 2007
8:27 PM

Post #3042878

The Hermit Thrush. They winter over in Tennessee ..

> http://www.mbr-pwrc.usgs.gov/id/framlst/i7590id.html .. and the attached (below)

- Magpye

This message was edited Jan 1, 2007 3:28 PM

Thumbnail by Magpye

lilyfantn
Kingsport, TN
(Zone 6b)

January 1, 2007
8:31 PM

Post #3042900

Actually, I took this photo in late summer/early fall. It was during the start of migration. I'm lucky because I live not too far from a creek and I think I am near one of the migration paths. I usually see one or two varieties in the late fall and early spring that I can't identify. Also the creek and farmland nearby are a great habitat for things like bobwhite that I hear but never see up in my 'hood.
Magpye
NW Qtr, AR
(Zone 6a)

January 1, 2007
8:43 PM

Post #3042947

.. LOL ..
Now, ya give us the vital info! ..
( .. am merely luvinly teasin' ya .. )

Definitely puts the Bicknell's Thrush, in the running now also > http://www.mbr-pwrc.usgs.gov/id/framlst/i7571id.html

The Gray-cheeked Thrush > http://www.mbr-pwrc.usgs.gov/id/framlst/i7570id.html

Swainson's Thrush > http://www.mbr-pwrc.usgs.gov/id/framlst/i7580id.html

The Wood Thrush > http://www.mbr-pwrc.usgs.gov/id/framlst/i7550id.html

And the Veery > http://www.mbr-pwrc.usgs.gov/id/framlst/i7560id.html

- Magpye
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 1, 2007
8:44 PM

Post #3042950

Magpye--what book are you scanning/using for reference?

It seems very good with different views and range maps all on the same page...

I am still trying to learn these danged little grey/brown birds! Thanks. t.
Magpye
NW Qtr, AR
(Zone 6a)

January 1, 2007
8:54 PM

Post #3042981

Howdy Judy!! They're my Christmas gifts from Christmas '05, to 'myself' .. (hee)

Point us in the direction of (your) lil grey/brown birds .. and let us have another 'crack' at 'em - will ya!?!

- Magpye

Thumbnail by Magpye

lilyfantn
Kingsport, TN
(Zone 6b)

January 1, 2007
9:33 PM

Post #3043104

Thanks so much guys. I really appreciate all the help you have given me. I am sorry I didn't mention that these pics were taken a while ago (color me embarrassed lol!) Pelletory has been encouraging me to join one of her discovered bird forums all summer. I got so busy with growing and photographing daylilies that I never got to it till just after the holidays. I have been saving my 2 id puzzles till I got on board. Then just when that time came... BINGO! A Dave's bird forum! What better time lol!

I have to say that I am not sure which thrush this could be for sure but I am ruling out the hermit thrush because they mention pink legs. But I am thinking thrush as opposed to warbler now. Again, thank you thank you thank you! Isn't birding fun? Its pretty hard when you just know a little though lol.

I echo your appreciation of the Sibley bird guides Magpye. I love them because they offer so many views of the bird in question. I like having many to look in and compare though. I also love just doing a google search too.
Magpye
NW Qtr, AR
(Zone 6a)

January 1, 2007
9:41 PM

Post #3043125

Oh, I agree, lilyfantn .. for the Sibley Guides aren't the only resource/s that I use either.

But, they have been valuable (& tangible) portable items, that I can easily pack & tote with me. And they usually get me started in the right direction, to check further ... (hee)

((huggerooners))

- Magpye
pelletory
Marlton, NJ

January 1, 2007
10:51 PM

Post #3043336

That is a nice book with all the views. I'll have to put that on the wish list.
debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 1, 2007
10:53 PM

Post #3043351

Good job Mags, I knew ya could do it...
Sweet lil Hermit Thrush lilyfan :>

hehe
Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

January 1, 2007
10:56 PM

Post #3043358

Great pics Lilyfantn!

Thanks for sharing! Beautiful bird!
Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

January 2, 2007
12:09 PM

Post #3044912

Your bird is adorable ! Thanks for sharing.
Happy new Year !

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
CLOSED: can anybody ID this bird (#2) lilyfantn 15 Dec 12, 2009 2:52 AM
CLOSED: What is this? konkreteblond 23 Jan 18, 2008 1:39 PM
CLOSED: Need confirm on ID pelletory 12 Mar 10, 2007 9:25 PM
CLOSED: Is this? Marilyn_FL 16 Jul 3, 2009 9:15 PM
CLOSED: This was in a field across from my house in north Jersey ago wilkins2 2 Mar 11, 2007 12:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America