Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Recipes: Food worth traveling or waiting for?

Communities > Forums > Recipes
bookmark
Forum: RecipesReplies: 215, Views: 1,768
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 2, 2007
6:19 PM

Post #3046131

It was suggested on another thread that I post this, so here it goes. I love to go to California Speedway to the Nascar Races and I finally tried this Mexican food that people were drooling over to me and these burritos are the best. I have to wait 6 months between eating them. My friend and I used to make 2 hour trips to go to Cantors Famous Bakery and an hour 1/2 to eat at this Chinese place we liked that was near the LA. county fair. We all have visited someone in another place or gone to the fair etc. and discovered to die for food or something we crave and do not have easy access to. What is yours, where and what have you done to fullfill this craving?
luna_baby
On the banks of the , VA
(Zone 7a)

January 2, 2007
6:35 PM

Post #3046183

My brother-in-law lives in N.J. and EVERY time he comes down here to Virginia, he goes to the Roy Rodger's for roast beef. Apparently they don't have Roy Rodger's in N.J. anymore, but it does make me laugh...there's probably stupendous roast beef right over the river from him but he lives to come down here and hit Roy's. Makes my Mom crazy, cause she'll be waiting for them to show up with whatever special she's whipped up and they stroll in burping Roy's. Families are nuts. ; D

The thing I love to do is travel up to NYC and let my Daddy take me out for a Peter Luger's steak. It's a family tradtion going back many years. That's where we do the dinner out when we travel up there for the Christmas hols.

SacValley
Wilton, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 2, 2007
6:37 PM

Post #3046192

We ride about hour to get a hamburger and fries at Giant Burgers in Pine Grove Ca. It only sits six customers at a time; but across the street is a park. We love the ride up, sitting in the park, and eating. The fries are hot-hot and each hamburger is over sized, made while you wait and is topped with tomato, onion and lettuce; oh so good. And on a great bun that stays together while you eat. Okay, I'm hungry!
luna_baby
On the banks of the , VA
(Zone 7a)

January 2, 2007
6:45 PM

Post #3046216

You made ME hungry. : )

One more place I love...there is a HOLE in the wall place called "The Blazer Pub" on Rt 684 in Katonah, NY...they do the best chili and fries I have ever, ever, ever had. I have no idea how they do it, the fries are huge, really quartered potatos, soft and melting inside, crispy and hot and just enough grease on the outside... chili is just bite enough to keep you interested but not so much that your eyes water, with meltingly gooey little yummy cubes of cheese and sharp little pieces of onion...

*wipes mouth*

Not that I have a Blazer issue or anything.
Desertdenial5
Tolleson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 2, 2007
6:47 PM

Post #3046225

Ok how about the fact that when I can no longer take it I fly home to Pittsburgh for Campettis (probably spelled wrong) Pizza. The first thing I do when I get off the plane is dump my stuff off and go directly there.
jasmerr
Merrimac, WI
(Zone 4b)

January 2, 2007
7:11 PM

Post #3046279

Jensen's Cafe in Burnsville, Minnesota. The coffee and french toast is wonderful! I always plan time to go when we're in Minneapolis.

http://www.jensenscafe.com/
hem_iamy
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7b)

January 2, 2007
7:57 PM

Post #3046409

Great thread! Hellnzn11~ I haven't been to Fontana (planning to go one day :>) but the bloody marys at Phoenix are top notch... Other than that I haven't to die for food (?) at a NASCAR track...

Shouldn't be doing this before eating lunch...
SacValley we are similar in that we would as well travel so far for a good greazy spoon burger, ours is called Benny's (and Benny's II) which are 40min and an hour from ABQ, respectively... You can get these wonderful King Benny burgers which are double meat, guacamole, bacon, cheese, and green chile... (along with the usual garnish)...yum...

When I go to visit my folks on Long Island I always fill up on pizza, zeppoli and and Chinese, they're good no matter where ya go and sorely lacking in ABQ (in a gastronomically satisfying sense, anyway)...sorry for the generality...
~amy :)
Angelia
Glendale, AZ

January 2, 2007
8:03 PM

Post #3046421

Hello all; lurker here. I miss Rappa brand scrapple. I've been exiled here in Arizona for four years and during that time have not been able to find any scrapple anywhere. I'm working on getting myself back home to Virginia so hopefully my wait won't be for much longer!

Angie
(from the surface of the sun)
plantladyhou
Katy, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 2, 2007
8:09 PM

Post #3046435

China View in Houston for really good Chinese Food. Buffet during the work week at lunch or from the menu at both lunch and dinner. Love their egg rolls and meat dishes! We drive the dreaded I-10 from Katy to get there and it's worth it. Also, if you have never had a good seafood bisque, try Babin's Creamy Crawfish bisque. It's so full of really good crawfish. My DDH loves soup but the French Onion Soup at Outback is worth the short -10minuite trip there - even if the steak wasn't so wonderful. I fill up on their bread, margaritas and fried(Boomerang) shrimp. Houstonians are known for eating out but we only go 1 or 2 times a week. I love the fajitas at Texas Borders along w/their margaritas and their onion rings and that's just down the street from us, luckily. Normally, we don't do chains but we make exceptions when it comes to Babin's and Outback.

Ann
luna_baby
On the banks of the , VA
(Zone 7a)

January 2, 2007
8:20 PM

Post #3046474

Wait marieortiz, are you saying you've flown to Philly ONLY for Campetti's pizza? Cause if it's THAT good I might have to make the drive through there next time I go to my Dad's in NY.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

January 2, 2007
8:32 PM

Post #3046521

When I land at the New Orleans airport on my way to Mississippi, I always stop at Mandina's ( if they are open -- Katrina set them back) for a soft shelled crab and a bowl of turtle soup. Yum! And their French bread is terrific. Not like any other French bread anywhere. You bite into it and the crust shatters into a million pieces.
Then I drive to my place in Lumberton, Mississippi and the first Wednesday, Thursday, Friday or Saturday, I go to Cuevas's Fish House for catfish, hush puppies and sweet tea, the best I have had anywhere.
plantladyhou
Katy, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 2, 2007
8:36 PM

Post #3046540

Where have all the fish houses and crab shacks gone? Moannnnnnn That used to be such a treat. Loved it in Mississippi when we went there. Of course, the places we went to probably are gone because of Katrina. So very, very sad...

Ann
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 2, 2007
9:15 PM

Post #3046644

that is sad but you know the creol, cajen food will never die there, they may fall but will rise again. They have a heart for their food and culture and history there. Marie that is so great. I always wanted to go to Philly to go to Pats philly steak and cheeze and then go accross the street to the other one and see which I think is better. Amy I hope you do go to Cal speedway some time and go to King Burrito or Burrito King, something like that, if you go.
Angelia
Glendale, AZ

January 2, 2007
9:20 PM

Post #3046654

No hello back? You all sounded so friendly too. Exiting from lurking on this forum. Pardon the intrusion.

Angie
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

January 2, 2007
9:38 PM

Post #3046696

Once a year during our anniversary, we are in San Antonio - always go to Hipp's Bubble Room. Except that Mr Hipp died a few years back, so it is now renamed the Armadillo. The Shy Poke Eggs, and a schooner of Shiner Bock.

Shy Poke Eggs are really nachos that are 5" round tortilla chips with white cheese, and the yoke us a couple of jalepeno slices covered with cheddar. They look exactly like sunny side eggs.
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 2, 2007
9:41 PM

Post #3046708

Is the scrapple you speak of the yogurt covered stuff they have at frozen yogurt places? If it is mmmmmmm. Angie there are no intrusions on DG and Dave makes sure he runs a tight ship on those matters. I just lurked here recently myself and planted my butt here for my love of food. Join in
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 2, 2007
9:42 PM

Post #3046717

ooh that is making me hungry. Apparently food in the south needs a dictionary to go with it. lol
luna_baby
On the banks of the , VA
(Zone 7a)

January 2, 2007
9:47 PM

Post #3046737

No, scrapple is an Amish/Mennonite sausage, like head cheese, I think. Offal boiled up and made into a loaf with some kind of flour or corn meal. I've seen it in the Mennonite market. It's uh...an acquired taste. : ) You slice it and fry it up in a pan with a little butter to get crisp edges nd serve it with breakfast.

Friendly, yes, speed demons, no.

This message was edited Jan 2, 2007 5:54 PM
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

January 2, 2007
10:10 PM

Post #3046803

Buy a copy of Road Food, by Jane and Michael Stern, latest ed 2005 in paper. It has 600 amazing local food stops all around the country that are fine for us folks who hate chain food. We just drove a car from Maine to Fl and ate all our meals from joints that they recommended. They were all almost spot on for great local fare. From lobster pie at the Maine diner in Wells on RT 1 to a fine lunch of fried chicken with 3 (collar greens, sweet potato sticks and beans and rice) at somewhere in South Carolina. And some great crabs and BBQ along the way, not to forget memorable biscuits a cheese burger to die for in Manchester Ct at a family owned ice cream dairy. We had a tomtom on board so I just had to plug in the address and we found these normally hard to find great dinning spots via our robot friend. The book is set up by regions, and the index is very friendly. Road Food Rules! HYPERLINK@www.roadfood.com] Patti

This message was edited Jan 2, 2007 9:16 PM
luna_baby
On the banks of the , VA
(Zone 7a)

January 2, 2007
10:19 PM

Post #3046835

Thanks for the tip...I am on at my husband to take me up to Massachusetts next fall for a road trip.

That would make a fun thing to have in the car.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 2, 2007
10:48 PM

Post #3046936

There's a place in Boone, NC named Pepper's... food is okay but their onion rings are worth a hundred mile drive.

Igor's in Seattle for salmon.

A place on Georgia Avenue in Silver Spring. MD just outside DC for the best oyster stew and rolls, counter seating only. More than a dozen chincoteague oysters in a bowl!

Ruth's Chris Steakhouse, pff DuPont Circle in Washington DC, also in Dallas, Atlanta.

White Dog Cafe in Philly.

Probably 2 dozen more I could drive to all over the country but cannot remember the names, just the food.
TwinLakesChef
OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA
(Zone 4b)

January 2, 2007
11:06 PM

Post #3046996

We are going to Omaha, NE for a doctor's apt on Friday and plan to eat at Warren Buffet's favorite restaurant there so will post next week and let you know how it is:

http://www.goratssteakhouse.com/index.html

Then Saturday we will go to LeMars, Iowa to Archies Waeside

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=670
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 2, 2007
11:23 PM

Post #3047052

Oh, Ann, we LOVE China View, too!! It looks like just another motel restaurant from the outside, but the food is SO good! Robin, the owner, is really friendly, too. Has he had you try the Chrysanthemum tea? Yummm...

Now I'm hungry, too!! LOL

http://www.chinaview.us/

This message was edited Jan 2, 2007 6:23 PM
luna_baby
On the banks of the , VA
(Zone 7a)

January 3, 2007
12:23 AM

Post #3047242

ok, darius, I'm gonna need more help than that on the place in Silver Spring... : ) Sounds like...near the... : )
Aguane
Phoenix, AZ

January 3, 2007
1:03 AM

Post #3047353

http://www.carolinasmex.com

I recently purchased a house. One of my criteria was to be within a mile of Carolina's at Cave Creek and Cactus Rds. I LOVE All Of The Dishes At Her Restaurant.

Older venues I have loved are
Barbara's Crab Shack at Half Moon Bay CA
Fabbros in Redwood City CA
Mussels at Pointe Tapatio Different Pointe of View. AZ
Pizza Bianco downtown Phoenix AZ
Any "Fish Market" in AZ or CA Boston and Manhattan Chowders are great with alot of fresh SF Sourdough bread (yes, they ship the fresh bread from SF to PHX 'cause its just not the same when made in AZ.
A little outdoor cafe in Civitivecchia Italy where they serve perfect Zabaglione.
www.duartestavern.com Pescadero CA for Cioppino and artichoke soup and Aunt Emma's pies.
TwinLakesChef
OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA
(Zone 4b)

January 3, 2007
1:39 AM

Post #3047484

Keep 'em comin' This is a great thread!
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 3, 2007
1:55 AM

Post #3047549

If you get to Berkshire County, Massachusetts (Pittsfield specifically), there is a place on East Street that we "locals" or former locals cannot go home without eating these. They are little skinny hotdogs, some would call them chili dogs, but they aren't really. The place is called Teo's. There used to be one in Naples, FL (the owner moved there for the winters and set up a shop there too, but I think it has closed now).

The dogs are about 5 inches long, nestled in a very soft fingerlike bun. They are best with their special hotdog sauce (made up of ground hotdogs and other tasty spices), mustard and onions. One cannot eat just one!!

When I was a little girl my father would go and buy 100 at a time (they were a dime then). There were 8 of us and 2 adults and we would devour them. Now, I can eat about 5 of them at one time (although I shouldn't).

Oh my, now I'm craving Teo's! BTW, you can get burgers and beer and all kinds of other foods there, but they are most famous for their hotdogs. Yummmmmmmmm.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

January 3, 2007
2:03 AM

Post #3047587

Long gone, but a little drive-in burger joint in southeastern Colorado had the best open-faced chili burgers on the planet. Your choice was verde (green and hot) or rojo (red and hotter yet) chili (none of that tex-mex brown bean stuff, of course), smothering two freshly-made from scratch large-but-thin grilled burgers. Crisp julienned fresh fries on top, sprinkled with fresh-grated cheese that melted from the steaming chili and blistering hot fries...

My heart burns for one every time I think about them.
Aguane
Phoenix, AZ

January 3, 2007
2:12 AM

Post #3047620

Oh my, Terry, I love Chili burgers. I love Chili anything! How about on a baked potato?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 3, 2007
3:05 AM

Post #3047817

Luna... I'll have to think of the name of the joint on Ga. Ave or ask local friends ... it's been there a zillion years, quite a culinary landmark. Every cabbie nearby knows it. It's just a few blocks off a beltway exit and I can see it in my mind.
avmoran
Pylesville, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 3, 2007
11:24 AM

Post #3048237

Santa Fe New Mexico
Holiday Inn Express by the airport
Now you would not think good food is associated with a place like this but here in the east Prime Rib is a joke at this hotel the Prime Rib would melt in your mouth and keep you coming back
for a week I was there I groged on Prime Rib becasue who knew when or if I would ever get back
:)
Anita
Edens_Gardener
Clay Center, KS
(Zone 5b)

January 3, 2007
11:50 AM

Post #3048292

All time favorite is the Pepper Tree on West Moreno in Colorado Springs. Their chutney topped pepper steak is very memorable. Like Terry, the little place long since closed in Trinidad for Chili Burgers, LoSoloMio in Omaha for Eggplant Parmesan or their veal dishes, Haven't checked out El Taco Rey in Colorado Springs for a several years, but their Pork/Avocado Burrito smothered with Green Chili was wonderful. Rancho Chimayo north of Santa Fe for their Mexican food in general, and great flan www.ranchochimayo.com. Wabash Barbecue, Excelsior Springs (near Kansas City) MO. A good restaurant whether small and plain or pricey and formal is worth the drive. Sounds like I need to check out Road Food.
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

January 3, 2007
12:32 PM

Post #3048387

darius and luna...Oh, that would be Crisfield's on Ga Avenue - the old one, not the new one on Colesville Rd :) DS and DDIL go bi-weekly and although we rarely eat out, if we do, it's a trip there!

Dea
luna_baby
On the banks of the , VA
(Zone 7a)

January 3, 2007
12:49 PM

Post #3048441

I was just thinking it was time for me to go down to Politics and Prose...now I can make it a twofer. Thanks, both of you. : )
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

January 3, 2007
1:15 PM

Post #3048509

Maria's Pastry Shop on Cross Street in Boston's North End. Maria makes the best cannoli's in the world (and I have tried many, many). She also sold the shells and filling separately for those of us who wanted to fly home with some and make them up fresh; no soggy shells for us.

luna_baby
On the banks of the , VA
(Zone 7a)

January 3, 2007
1:25 PM

Post #3048541

Dea...you'd be good person to ask...I'm looking for really good chewy crusty bread in Frederick. Is there a good bread place? I have been doing Giant but I'd rather do a non-chain.

Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

January 3, 2007
1:38 PM

Post #3048577

They sell out every day - very early too :)

Proof - Artisan Bakery & Barista

12 East Patrick Street
Frederick, MD 21701
Phone: 301-668-2303 Fax: 301-668-2302
luna_baby
On the banks of the , VA
(Zone 7a)

January 3, 2007
1:44 PM

Post #3048605

Oh beautiful...thank you very much.

I'm on my way!

Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

January 3, 2007
2:22 PM

Post #3048719

The Mill just south of Pawtucket, RI. Great lobster and steaks.

New Braunfels Smokehouse, New Braunfels, TX.

Even though it's a chain, never had a bad meal at The Cheesecake Factory - CA, MO, TX.

Goodson's in Tomball, TX - Huge and great Chicken fried steak!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 3, 2007
2:22 PM

Post #3048721

Dea, thanks for the Chrisfield's name... I recognized it immediately, just couldn't dredge it out of this brain, LOL.
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 3, 2007
3:54 PM

Post #3049068

Whenever I go to Maryland the first thing I think about is Crab cakes and fried fishermans platter. The seafood on the west coast is not the same at all. If I don`t go right away, I think about it till I do. Dea do you know how much driving time is between Bethesda and Dover, off hand?
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

January 3, 2007
4:36 PM

Post #3049217

2.75 hours if minimal traffic. On beach weather weekends...ugghhhh - it can take double that easily. We live in Frederick and our kids have a beach house in Bethany Beach just down the shore from Dover. If they go on a Thursday evening it's fine, but the weekends are a bear !!

Dea
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 3, 2007
4:54 PM

Post #3049267

thanks. My aunt told me that from Bethesda from Richmond was about the same. Do you agree. On a map Dover looks closer
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

January 3, 2007
5:02 PM

Post #3049297

Yes, but again, it all depends on traffic. The Beltway around DC/Bethesda is either happy or sad - no inbetweens :) Southbound 95 to Richmond all depends on what is fondly referred to as the "mixing bowl" at the Springfield interchange.

Dea
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 3, 2007
5:21 PM

Post #3049376

thanks.
jkom51
Oakland, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 3, 2007
5:52 PM

Post #3049461

When we were growing up in Chicago (decades ago, I'm afraid) my mom was a fabulous cook, but there were 2 places we would make "treks" to. One was Harold's Chicken, a very local franchise that made extra crispy batter-fried chicken. They had a secret batter recipe but I think mostly it was good because they never cooked it until you actually called to order it.

The other was a small shop on Maxwell Street, now long gone but at one time it was a very dodgy area, semi-industrial. A grumpy old man had a small sausage shop there. We would go and get homemade bratwurst, on grilled French bread rolls, with sauerkraut (I think we were probably the only Japanese Americans in Chicago that adored sauerkraut!). We'd eat them hot in the car on the way home. To this day I adore sausages and sauerkraut, even introduced my Hong Kong-born husband to it and he loves it too!

Living in the San Francisco Bay Area, there are so many fabulous places to eat -- to start an argument, just bring up the recent Michelin rankings on our local restaurants -- there aren't enough hours in the day or days in the year, to try them all. Out here the first question is "what kind of cuisine do you feel like eating tonight?" and then we take it from there, factoring in the day of the week (Mondays some places are closed), traffic (commute hours are horrible), availability (some places you just can't get into without reservations in advance) and relativity ("you feel like having Chinese and I feel like doing Indian -- how about we compromise on Thai or Cambodian or Vietnamese?"). I live in the Oakland hills so we're driving to places, but when we lived in San Francisco it was ridiculously easy -- you just walked out the door and there were 2 dozen different restaurants within a mile of your apartment.

Who would I wait for? Fleur de Lys, whose sweetbreads are sublime. French Laundry, anything they make. Other than that, no. There are too many high-quality restaurants around here that there's no real need to wait around. If Rivoli is busy, I can drive 2 minutes to Mangia Mangia and have their exquisite chicken cannelloni, or switch my expectations to French bistro food and walk over to Beauregard's.

That's actually the key here -- if you are visiting the SF Bay Area, make reservations, well in advance! Opentable.com is helpful but the majority of mid-priced restaurants don't belong to it.
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 3, 2007
6:04 PM

Post #3049503

that sounds neat. My aunt says DC is that way too, she says you can smell food in the air.
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

January 3, 2007

Post #3050084

For Country Ham and Southern cooking you have got to try the Loveless Cafe in Nashville.
luna_baby
On the banks of the , VA
(Zone 7a)

January 3, 2007
9:17 PM

Post #3050098

I love my French Laundry cook books. I am having FL envy now. : )
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

January 3, 2007
9:58 PM

Post #3050286

Ok so far we are eating at Cantors Famous Bakery near the cal speedway, Roy Rodger's for roast beef in NJ, in NYC Peter Luger's steak, Giant Burgers in Pine Grove Ca., "The Blazer Pub" on Rt 684 in Katonah, NY, Pittsburgh for Campettis (probably spelled wrong) Pizza, Jensen's Cafe in Burnsville, Minnesota, Benny's (and Benny's II) which are 40min and an hour from ABQ, Rappa brand scrapple (can of food, I think), China View in Houston , Babin's Creamy Crawfish bisque, French Onion Soup at Outback , in New Orleans Mandina's , in Lumberton Miss, Cuevas's Fish House for catfish, Philly to go to Pats philly steak and cheeze, Cal speedway King Burrito or Burrito King, San Antonio - always go to Hipp's Bubble Room, lobster pie at the Maine diner in Wells, Boone, NC named Pepper's Igor's in Seattle for salmon, Ruth's Chris Steakhouse, pff DuPont Circle in Washington DC, White Dog Cafe in Philly, LeMars, Iowa to Archies Waeside, in Phoenix Carolina's at Cave Creek and Cactus Rds, Barbara's Crab Shack at Half Moon Bay CA, Fabbros in Redwood City CA, Mussels at Pointe Tapatio Different Pointe of View. AZ Pizza Bianco downtown Phoenix AZ, A little outdoor cafe in Civitivecchia Italy where they serve perfect Zabaglione, Pescadero CA for Cioppino and artichoke soup and Aunt Emma's pies, Teo's in pittsfield ma,for prime rib Santa Fe New Mexico Holiday Inn Express , Pepper Tree on West Moreno in Colorado Springs, LoSoloMio in Omaha for Eggplant Parmesan or their veal dishes, El Taco Rey in Colorado Springs,. Rancho Chimayo north of Santa Fe for their Mexican food ,Wabash Barbecue, Excelsior Springs (near Kansas City) MO. in Frederick md Crisfield's on Ga Avenue, Maria's Pastry Shop on Cross Street in Boston's North End, Artisan Bakery & Barista 12 East Patrick Street Frederick, MD , The Mill just south of Pawtucket, RI. New Braunfels Smokehouse, New Braunfels, TX.,The Cheesecake Factory - CA, MO, TX.,Goodson's in Tomball, TX , in SF area, Fleur de Lys, whose sweetbreads are sublime. French Laundry, Rivoli, Mangia Mangia, Beauregard's.,and last so far, Loveless Cafe in Nashville. I am going to paste this in my diary under a new tab called "Fat and Happy" Patti

This message was edited Jan 3, 2007 5:59 PM
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

January 3, 2007
10:00 PM

Post #3050301

LOL !!! Now that's a road trip :)

Dea
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 3, 2007
11:51 PM

Post #3050736

A road trip sounds like fun! This map was much more fun to make than the ones I usually post on DG... LOL I did skip the restaurant in Italy (sorry!), but I tried to get as close as possible to the rest of them. According to my map program, this covers 9679.4 miles and would take 20 days and 53 minutes to drive. When should we start?? :-)

This message was edited Jan 3, 2007 6:56 PM

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX
Click the image for an enlarged view.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 3, 2007
11:54 PM

Post #3050743

What a fun map, Marylyn! Wouldn't that be a great trip?
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

January 3, 2007
11:58 PM

Post #3050757

Do you think we should rent a bus, perhaps a big green one? It is a reasonable one way trip. How did you do the map? Patti
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

January 4, 2007
12:05 AM

Post #3050775

What a fun trip. When do we start???
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 4, 2007
12:07 AM

Post #3050781

I used Microsoft's Streets and Trips. It recognized the names of most of the restaurants, which made the whole thing much easier. :-)
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 4, 2007
12:08 AM

Post #3050786

We'd need two buses - one to carry us, and one for all the plants we'd be trading at every DG stop along the way!
Desertdenial5
Tolleson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 4, 2007
12:25 AM

Post #3050850

I think some one needs to speak up and name some good places in Florida. (they have all the cool tropical plants) This sounds like a great trip!!
Aguane
Phoenix, AZ

January 4, 2007
1:00 AM

Post #3051001

I'm IN!

Reminds me of the trip I coordinated for my boss when I worked in Venture Capital in Menlo Park, CA. He and his wife were travelling through the south of France to the very top of the heap Inns and Restaurants. I lived vicariously through their menus and perfect bed linens, and spa treatments etc. Almost like "Being There"... yea RIGHT!

This is all fun! Marylyn_TX, thanks for your very creative contribution! Soooooooooo cool!
wcgypsy
Fallbrook, CA
(Zone 10b)

January 4, 2007
1:57 AM

Post #3051197

Dawn,
Did you mean Cantor's on Fairfax? Jeez, haven't been there in 35 years! We used to go there around 3 in the a.m. I really hate it that all my old favorite places are gone, so I'm hoping to get some new ideas for the SoCal area. Don't go into L.A. often because of the traffic, but I do love Philippe. Also, you're closer to this one than I am...Schatt's Bakery in Bishop! That plus cutting across Tioga Pass make the trip worthwhile to go up 395.
Sherry
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 4, 2007
2:47 AM

Post #3051351

Next time I go through Bishop i will go there, I know the name but not the location. Cantors on Fairfax, yes, did i say the speedway, if i did it was an error. I love the bakery not the atmosphere or the food. I love the map! Love it! How fun. Vamonos
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 4, 2007
4:28 AM

Post #3051592

Wow, Marylyn...what fun that map is. I see you are sort of sailing by Louisville, KY so I will just say that there are some tremendously awesome restaurants in Louisville. One that is really good and he tries to use local and fresh and natural ingredients is The North End Cafe on Frankfort Ave in Louisville. We were about to start selling our free-range chicken to them when we lost them all in our truck fire in November. We get our next batch of chickens done next week, yippee. I'm craving Misty Meadows Farm chicken...

And we have a pretty good mexican restaurant called Miguel's here in our little community of Brandenburg, KY. If you live around here, it's the place to go :)

:) Kathy
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 4, 2007
4:40 AM

Post #3051614

Not so much a restaurant I'm missing but I grew up in Alamogordo New Mexico and we would go to Ruidoso to the little local "Octoberfest" celebration at the local civic center. They had little food booths set up there and I had the best $1 cup of potato cheese soup that I've ever had in my life! My best friend's husband made fun of us because I swear we lined up at that lady's crockpot like it was the beer keg:LOL:

I also miss New Mexico green chilies. Alot of the national restaurant chains adapt their menus based on regional favorites so you could order a pizza from Domino's with green chilies on it or go to Sonic and get a green chili cheeseburger. The canned Ortega or Old El Paso brands just aren't the same. The very best green chili stew I ever had was at the Mexican Village at the New Mexico State Fair.
dguimo
Pioneer, CA

January 4, 2007
5:43 AM

Post #3051682

SacValley, I live about 15 minutes up the hill from Giant Burger in Pine Grove, I really got a kick out of seeing your post. I'm going to copy it and take it to show the owner.You're right, their burgers are great (like the real ones many years ago), so are their milk shakes. If you are in the area for dinner, try Taste restaurant in Plymouth, you would Love it! Great food.Our favorite in Sacramento is Cafe Morocco on Alhambra St. The Sumac chicken is to die for.
Jacquie
TwinLakesChef
OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA
(Zone 4b)

January 4, 2007
11:17 AM

Post #3051873

If someone would be willing to take on a project, it would be nice to make an alphabetical listing in the first post of all these restaurants as we add them. This could be a very useful thread for travelers.
Over the years on DG there have been many threads re-invented over and over. This one has never been done.

What do you think . . . hellnzn11? Do you have the time?
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

January 4, 2007
11:43 AM

Post #3051913

I can cut and paste like stink, but I don't do the alpha thing very well. I can't spell either, but I am wicked with a fork. Patti
TwinLakesChef
OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA
(Zone 4b)

January 4, 2007
12:33 PM

Post #3052012

Ha Ha, patti
If we could do this, Terry would probably "stickie" it for us so it doesn't get buried in the recipe forum. If hellnzn11 doesn't want to keep up with it I can start a new thread "Restaurant Guide" and keep it up for the group. We travel enough it would be nice to have.
plantladyhou
Katy, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 4, 2007
1:36 PM

Post #3052130

We would be gone about 3 months I would say - at least - taking time to eat. Add another month or 6 wks. for shopping the gardening places, then add another month for stopping for breakfasts and snacks. Maybe we could make the entire trip in about 6 months. Or we could do it in stages. What fun! What a trip - literally! Diet now or forever hold you PIECE.

Ann
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 4, 2007
3:47 PM

Post #3052463

I am not talented enough to do this, but it would be nice to see it listed by state and then cities alphabetized. :) Perhaps a description next to each one as printed here, so we know what to look for. 4 stars...:)
luna_baby
On the banks of the , VA
(Zone 7a)

January 4, 2007
4:39 PM

Post #3052603

Hey, Marylyn, that's very cool, thanks!

I love the idea of figuring out some way to keep this up so it's easily usable, if i can help out please d mail me! : )

Dea, I went to Proof today. Are the cakes and pastries as good as the bread? There was something there with a coffe glaze, I swear, I was drooling down the front of the case. I went at noon and you were right, I need to be there at the crack of dawn, but what I got was yummy, we are having bread and cheese for lunch.

bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

January 4, 2007
4:50 PM

Post #3052644

Maybe we need a "Go Eat " forum for hungry and discerning and usually, cheap gardeners and the likes of Luna baby. Patti
luna_baby
On the banks of the , VA
(Zone 7a)

January 4, 2007
4:55 PM

Post #3052666

*looks up, bread crumbs down her front and cheese on her chin*

Um, does that mean the likes of little piggies like me?

*snorty snort snorts and goes back to her yummalicious bread and butter*

; D

heheheheheheheheheheheheee : )
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

January 4, 2007
4:56 PM

Post #3052673

Told ya the bread was good :) Never tried any pastries.

DG Road Foodies - LOL !!

Dea
luna_baby
On the banks of the , VA
(Zone 7a)

January 4, 2007
4:58 PM

Post #3052679

Um...at the risk of really being a thread hog...*snorty snort snort* ; ) ...have you tried that Ethiopian place across the street?
jasmerr
Merrimac, WI
(Zone 4b)

January 4, 2007
5:03 PM

Post #3052695

MistyMeadows,

Good idea. I have already started a list of my own. I love knowing there is a great place to eat when I get to travel.
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

January 4, 2007
5:04 PM

Post #3052698

Nope, we really don't eat out much at all. Last Frederick restaurant was The Tasting Room - yes, it's good :)
balvenie
Marysville, WA
(Zone 7a)

January 4, 2007
5:19 PM

Post #3052735

A place in Banning, Cal. from my youth, which is no doubt gone now. Served "Banning Burgers" , wonderful hamburgers on grilled thick pieces of bread, with the crusts cut off. Closer to home I'll second Darius' salmon place in Seattle, though I think it might be Iver's rather than Igor's.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 4, 2007
5:29 PM

Post #3052765

Robert, you may be correct about the name. Been many years since I was out there and I remember more about the salmon than the name!
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

January 4, 2007
5:30 PM

Post #3052772

Luna_baby, No I didn't mean that you were a piggy, but that I see you most often in the equine, pet and recipe forum rather than gardening. I may be having mental problems from the consumption of too many calories of late. I just made a lb of Beaker_ch fudge which will be washed down today with the last of my ginger choc cheesecake. I will be off next week to have knee surgery in Boston (could my weight have anything to do with this?). I will most likely hit up Santarpio's Pizza 113 Chelsea St in East Boston, not as good as the pizza in New Haven, Ct at Frank Pepe Pizzeria 157 Wooster St or Sally's Apizza just down the street- but an still an old favorite. I will try a few other joints and report back to this gaggle of foodies on this site when I get home. Luna, did you get some geese for your BC? Patti
luna_baby
On the banks of the , VA
(Zone 7a)

January 4, 2007
6:16 PM

Post #3052902

Eh, my husband is a huge lurker in the gardening threads. He just doesn't say a lot. He's a Yankee, yanno. ; )

Sadly, I am the chatty cathy in our household.

And I knew you didn't mean it the way I joked about, it just struck me funny because I was kinda sitting here with the baby pigging out on bread. But we also did eat some carrots, so it's all good.

Not yet on the geese. I'm really trying to be a good girl and do this one normal step at a time...first fence, then a dog smarter than me, then the dog's animals... : ) I got a little ahead of myself with Star but I can work her at her owner's place, in fact, it's better, then I don't make any big mistakes with her on my own...we just get to do the fun thiings like B.A.L.L. and F.R.I.S.B.E.E. (Have to spell 'em cause if I say it out loud there is no peace until we've gone and DONE them. ; )
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 4, 2007
6:30 PM

Post #3052946

I am not that saavy at computer stuff so It would take a while. It is never ending though. I would start a new thread but I don`t know how, if one of you can tell me or start a new one for the poor dial ups, that would be great. This thread has really taken off and I love it but please anyone feel free to do whatever. I can not probably do the whole alphabetical thing because of time and I am about to have surgury again on my right hand. Maybe a few of us could start by taking 10 and listing them, then someone else take 20 to 30 and add them etc. to the list, like you said on a different thread or continuation one, with the map.
luna_baby
On the banks of the , VA
(Zone 7a)

January 4, 2007
6:46 PM

Post #3052990

I need help naming one more...maybe BubbaKC can help me..

I was in KC and had the most gorgeous steak...but the name of the restaurant completely eludes me. Blue Leaf. Blue Flower. Blue Something. : (

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 4, 2007
7:48 PM

Post #3053123

What do you think about doing TLC's idea, but moving it to the travel section? We could do it alphabetically by state/province/other country (besides Canada and the USA), and have a different thread for each letter. And then we can make an index thread (that hopefully Terry will make a sticky for us) at the top. Kinda like the Texas forum's Native plants threads (see http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/528122/).

If this sounds like a good idea to all of you, I'd be happy to set it up. Let me know what you think!
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

January 4, 2007
7:59 PM

Post #3053141

I'd love to help, and have been in the KC area several times (relatives and clients), but the MoCity is for Missouri City, TX - a suburb of Houston, TX - not too far from Iowa Colony. LOL

Only restaurant I remember in KC,MO is Gates BBQ. Better know what you want - they yell at you and you yell back your order. Good food, tho.

There are some famous steak houses there, but relatives report that many have been sold, and are not what they were 20-30 years ago.
jasmerr
Merrimac, WI
(Zone 4b)

January 4, 2007
7:59 PM

Post #3053142

Sounds like a good idea for the new threads. I'd be happy to help.

This message was edited Jan 4, 2007 3:00 PM
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 4, 2007
8:11 PM

Post #3053184

You somewhat lost me so I will happily await direction if you need me to help. Sounds great, I officially pass the torch. I am happy this took off the way it did. It will be nice for people traveling or living near to try some of these place they may have otherwise not known about.
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

January 4, 2007
8:14 PM

Post #3053194

Luna_baby, Blue Bird Bistro? Organic, good beef in old brick building. I just did a quick search on line. For your BC, take up tennis, it is easier. Patti

This message was edited Jan 4, 2007 4:15 PM

Thumbnail by bbrookrd

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 4, 2007
8:18 PM

Post #3053206

Do we want to do just places to eat, or also things to do? If we put this in the Vacation and Travel Forum (http://davesgarden.com/place/f/vacations/all/), both things would probably be good to have! I'm picturing something that would look like this:

Title: Places to do/go/eat in... States/Provinces/Countries beginning with T

The first post would be a summary (which I will try to stay on top of) of all of the suggestions you all post in the subsequent posts, sorted by State/Province/Country, and then by city. So something like this:

TEXAS

Houston
Babin's (try the Creamy Crawfish bisque)
China View, 11113 Katy Freeway
The Cheesecake Factory

New Braunfels
New Braunfels Smokehouse

Tomball
Goodson's (Huge and great Chicken fried steak!)

Yes? No? Suggestions and comments VERY welcome!!

This message was edited Jan 4, 2007 3:27 PM
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

January 4, 2007
8:22 PM

Post #3053218

Looks good to me.
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

January 4, 2007
8:30 PM

Post #3053250

Marylyn_TX, That looks great. If the place has unusual hours (summer only) that could be helpful. But a listing that is short and sweet, as long as the food is great, is enough for me to sniff it out with just the name and the town especially if you do it by state. Thanks, Patti
plantladyhou
Katy, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 4, 2007
8:38 PM

Post #3053273

You're doing great Marylyn.

Ann
jasmerr
Merrimac, WI
(Zone 4b)

January 4, 2007
8:41 PM

Post #3053280

Looks good
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 4, 2007
8:43 PM

Post #3053290

amen. I feel like a proud mom that just gave birth to something much bigger than i knew. lol
plantladyhou
Katy, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 4, 2007
8:46 PM

Post #3053302

hellnzn11 - you should feel proud. You done good!

Ann
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 4, 2007
8:58 PM

Post #3053342

lol
ceejaytown
The Woodlands, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 4, 2007

Post #3053409

First the Pappas restaurants - lobster bisque at Pappas Seafood, seafood fondue at Pappadeaus, mahi-mahi at Pappasito's (yes, that's right, they are a Mexican restaurant, but it is the best mahi-mahi (grilled) I've ever eaten, with a seafood topping (shrimp, crawfish, scallops, maybe avocado, maybe peppers, in a lemon or wine or brown sauce - depends on the night, all great!). For chile rellenos - Chuey's, a Texas chain. Crispy batter, with beef filling and deluxe tomatillo sauce...drooling here. Oh, there's more. Have to think, have to think...Maybe later. Too hungry now. Pralines from Savannah's Candy Kitchen in Georgia. If you're ever in St Thomas, VI - Craig & Sally's. They have an appetizer - eggplant cheesecake that's to die for! Honest!! DH hates eggplant and he loved this. Sounds awful though, doesn't it? They even gave me the recipe when I asked. Everything else was good too. In OKC, OK - Leo's BBQ (if it's still there). Former garage, and smoke-filled (from the BBQ), but simply delish - get the cake! Yellow with fresh strawberry filling and topped with a glaze, served warm. Order it first. If you wait until you're through eating, it will be gone. Upscale restaurants- I've never had a bad meal at Perry's or Capitol Grill - all excellent, in fact. Babin's Seafood for golden tile. I'll keep thinking...
I love this thread!!! And I love the fact that Marylyn is going to organize it into something we can all use. I will definitely use it!!! Thank you, hellnzn11!!
TwinLakesChef
OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA
(Zone 4b)

January 4, 2007
9:34 PM

Post #3053495

Marylynn,
You go ahead and start one in Travel; I will start one in Recipes as I do not go to the travel one. We can have two so people have access to it in either forum. It will get used alot. If you keep the directory in the first post, by state, city, name you can keep it alphabetized. After it gets going, just email Terry and she will sticky it. I am on my way out of town tomorrow morning for a couple of days so I may not get it done until Sunday.
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 4, 2007
9:45 PM

Post #3053530

Ok, folks, starting filling! Find the first letter of your state or province (or country if you don't live in Canada or the US), and post your favorite places to eat in the threads. I'll come back and start indexing things at the top in a bit. I only did places to eat because: #1, that should keep me busy as it is! LOL!; and #2, nothing more would fit in the titles of the threads.

Go here: http://davesgarden.com/place/f/vacations/all/
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

January 4, 2007
9:46 PM

Post #3053534

Whoa girl - you are FAST :)

Dea
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 4, 2007
9:47 PM

Post #3053539

LOL Good thing my mom made me memorize all the states a long time ago! I had to look at a map for the provinces, though.
wcgypsy
Fallbrook, CA
(Zone 10b)

January 4, 2007
10:45 PM

Post #3053696

Dawn,
Schatt's is right on 395 in the center of town, left hand side heading north. I can't go through there now without stopping. It's incredible. I always get a big bag of stuff for the road. If anyone ever heads up 99 in California, there's a great deli/ sandwich place in Merced...no, it's not a fancy dinner place or anything, but really great sandwiches and stuff. I go to Central California quite often and there isn't a lot to choose from heading up the central valley so we were really glad to find this place...Main Street Deli in Merced. Especially because they carry Raymond's Dutch Crunch Sourdough bread that comes out of the Bay Area. Always have them heat a loaf for us and take that and butter along also. So, if I go up 395 I hit Schatt's, if I go up 99, I hit the deli, and if I cut over to Cambria on the way home I stop at La Super Rica on Milpas in Santa Barbara. Hole in the wall Mexican food, really good, usually a long line.
Sherry
luna_baby
On the banks of the , VA
(Zone 7a)

January 4, 2007
11:48 PM

Post #3053866

Well, ok...on Rt 11 in Middletown, VA, which is about two seconds off both big routes in the north western part of the state...Rts 81 and 66...there is a potato chip factory.

You don't know them because they only ship locally but let me tell you, to walk in and get a hot bag of greasy yummy chips right out of the fryer is a thing of beauty. http://www.rt11.com/

They used to do taro root chips which are so good that when they stopped making them, I started. Do you know how hard it is to find taro root in East Boondocksville, VA? ; )

Marylyn, I think what you've done is amazing. Thank you. And I'll add the ones I suggested sometime in the next day, so spare your fingers that much. Cheers!

Nice...I am seeing a pttern in my recommendations. Red meat and junk food. Guess what we don't do a lot of at home? ; )

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 5, 2007
1:07 AM

Post #3054093

TLC, maybe you can just make an index with links that point to the posts in the Vacation and Travel forum.. It seems kind of silly to have all of the same info in the same places.

I'm making a list of everyone's places, but I ran out of edits for today, so I won't be able to start entering them into the threads until tomorrow. Keep going, though, everyone! This is GREAT!!! You did VERY good, hellnzn11!!! :-)

patrob

patrob
Goldthwaite, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 5, 2007
1:13 AM

Post #3054107

The index on the Recipes forum would be great so that we're not trying to enter the same info in two different forums. The Vacation and Travel forum does not look well used, so the "where to eat" threads ought to perk it up.
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 5, 2007
1:20 AM

Post #3054129

I said: [quote]It seems kind of silly to have all of the same info in the same places.[/quote]

I meant in 2 different places... Sheesh.. This is why I'm out of edits! LOL
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 5, 2007
4:11 AM

Post #3054673

I put an index in both Recipes and Vacations & Travel. (http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/682158/ and http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/682159/) I asked Terry to make them both Stickies, so hopefully that will happen soon.

This is fun! :-)
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

January 5, 2007
5:20 AM

Post #3054752

Well, haven't seen anything from way down south GA so if you're anywhere around Brunswick, GA you must go to a little local seafood place called Jinright's Seafood House
. You won't be disappointed. It's to die for. I've never had bad food there.My hubby and I order the seafood platter for two and we can't eat it all! No way! But I'd sure like to die trying! LOL So if anyone is interested... maybe when the weather is better we could all go on a trip together. There is so much southern charm at Jekyll and St. SimonsIsland. A lot of history. :-) and of course for me ... there's the lighthouse! grin!

edited cause I can't spell! LOL

This message was edited Jan 5, 2007 12:26 PM
TwinLakesChef
OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA
(Zone 4b)

January 5, 2007
1:23 PM

Post #3055146

Marylyn_TX, Thank-you! Good job done for starters. Thank-you for the time invested on our behalf.

I am already keeping up the other recipe forum sticky so I do have my hands full with it. The only thing I don't care for in that sticky ~ all the additions are put in the first post so no one ever knows when new things have been added...
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 5, 2007
6:03 PM

Post #3055938

What is a sticky?
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 5, 2007
6:19 PM

Post #3055977

Those messages that stay up at the top of the thread list, no matter how old they are. At the top of the Recipes forum, for instance, there is the "Classic Cooking Answers`& Advice -- [Sticky]" that TLC keeps updated.
TwinLakesChef
OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA
(Zone 4b)

January 6, 2007
2:27 AM

Post #3057391

OKay.
Gorat's Warren Buffets fav restaurant in Omaha, N#
I ordered the Prime Rib big cut $21.99 Ordered Med Rare - it was - very little fat
Bruce ordered the Sirloin 19.99; he order med well; it was med rare but still good
My baked potato fresh & good; hisfrench fries - crisp
Frozen green bean on side were fine
Iceberg lettuce salad with carrot stick & slice of cuke -fresh- but we prefer healthier salad
DH order a scotch for $ 5.00 - it was a healthy pour I drank water - Free
We will go back-they say when Buffet is in town there is a long wait line; we went at 6PM and were seated immediately.

Wouldn't order their side of spaghetti - it was uneventful

Tomorrow it's on to Archie's in LeMars, Iowa

Bon Appetite

patrob

patrob
Goldthwaite, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 6, 2007
3:11 AM

Post #3057509

Next time you are in Goldthwaite, Texas (right smack dab in the middle of the state), try the cheeseburger and fries at Cahoot's (in the Exxon station). No kidding, it is good enough to serve to company.
Laurie1
Burwash Weald
United Kingdom
(Zone 9b)

January 6, 2007
2:40 PM

Post #3058409

took a circuitous route to get to this thread but have enjoyed reading it! I do think Americans have a unique relationship with food - I don't think anyone else enjoys it as much as all of you on this thread! Wonderful. Must be fun going to lunch with any of you! Makes the rest of us look like frumpy fusspots. Excellent!

hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 6, 2007
5:46 PM

Post #3059004

It is not so much the food but the company. I know that dg offers a lot of things but here is a unique way to let people who may be traveling or out of the area to enjoy a nice meal,in an unfamiliar place or share a place with others that may have also discovered it, off the beaten path. i personally have to watch my weight, but it doesn`t stop me from appreciating the experience. I bet she is right, it would be a blast if we all got together for lunch. Sometimes it feels like we have.
TwinLakesChef
OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA
(Zone 4b)

January 7, 2007
11:55 AM

Post #3061242

In the US the food trend has really accelerated. When buying homes people look for those fancy kitchens for entertaining whether they know how to cook or not. Just look at the popularity of the Food Channel. Some years ago all we had was Julia Child and the Galloping Gourmet for TV cooking shows.
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 7, 2007
7:41 PM

Post #3062529

Oh ya, My friend is hell bent on buying a 3500 sq. ft. home for two just to get the huuuge kitchen she wants to have.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

January 7, 2007
9:11 PM

Post #3062805

Hey 101, I'm not far from you, ouside Beaufort here. Was in St. Simon for a week back in October. It is pretty hard to get bad seafood in our area (Lowcountry/Golden Isles) isn't it.

There is a wonderful little Italian place in the West Ashley section of Charleston called
Al Di La. It is just a hole in the wall and VERY casual but you still need reservations because they serve exquisite food and they are always full. Their risotto with scallops is the best - ever! (843) 571-2321, try them sometime.

Edited because I forgot to say they are also very inexpensive.

This message was edited Jan 8, 2007 7:44 AM
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 7, 2007
10:54 PM

Post #3063132

Ardesia how close to Lake Norman are you?
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

January 8, 2007
4:08 AM

Post #3064088

Pretty far, I live down in the southeatern corner of SC, Lake Norman is north of Charlotte, NC about 5 hours from here.
HERBIE43
Rutland , MA
(Zone 5b)

January 8, 2007
8:19 AM

Post #3064248

i try to go to the carnegie deli in nyhc every few months. its the best corned beef and pastrami sandwich you have ever tasted and for 17.00 dollars a pot you get enough meat and extra bread to make 3 or 4 more sandwiches for you to take home.

TwinLakesChef
OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA
(Zone 4b)

January 8, 2007
10:31 AM

Post #3064325

Hi Herbie,
Carnegie Deli is my favorite too! I usually get the pastrami.
Aguane
Phoenix, AZ

January 8, 2007
1:35 PM

Post #3064668

David's Deli in San Francisco is quite good too. Been there over 100 years I think. My great grandfather used to live at the Clift Hotel and ate there (across the street) almost daily.
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 8, 2007
1:46 PM

Post #3064705

Arlene, Did you move west? Are you going to be the Orange Chef AND the Twin Lakes Chef? :) Kathy
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 8, 2007
4:31 PM

Post #3065110

I heard of Carnegie Deli, it must be famous. Here there is a great deli, but i can`t remember the darn name, off hand. They have to die for Lemon bars and great salads and i love that they will chop them with all the stuff and dressing on for you so it has dressing everywhere on the whole salad and the meat is mixed in.
TwinLakesChef
OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA
(Zone 4b)

January 8, 2007
7:02 PM

Post #3065439

MM
Have always been in both places but now mostly in Iowa. Children and two houses are in CA so I am there 7-8 times per year.
TwinLakesChef
OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA
(Zone 4b)

January 8, 2007
9:56 PM

Post #3065915

Well last Saturday we drove on from Omaha to LeMars only to find Archies Waeside is not open for lunch. The good thing is that we found it is about 1 1/2 hours from our home. So we will make a trip up there sometime for dinner.
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 9, 2007
1:47 AM

Post #3066664

i really do want to come to the luncheon pot luck, hope i can. I am really watching what i am eating, you evil, sabateuress.
pegzhere
Bettendorf, IA

January 9, 2007
1:53 AM

Post #3066683

WAHHHHHHH!! I miss NY. Carnegie Deli, Pizza pretty much ANYWHERE in NYC. nothing can match it!!!!! (off to console myself in some mint chip ice cream..)
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 9, 2007
1:57 AM

Post #3066705

I hate you too, I want Mint chip ice cream or any food with calories and carbs
pegzhere
Bettendorf, IA

January 9, 2007
2:03 AM

Post #3066732

LOL - sorry. It was low fat is that is any consolation (I won't mention the homemade hot fudge that went with it though :))
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 9, 2007
2:24 AM

Post #3066800

You Horrible *^%$#@!
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 9, 2007
2:52 AM

Post #3066890

Does anybody know what a grinder is? :) yes, it's edible.
pegzhere
Bettendorf, IA

January 9, 2007
3:00 AM

Post #3066917

Yep. Called them Heroes in NY, Subs or Hoagies in PA :)
Dann_L
San Tan Valley, AZ
(Zone 9b)

January 9, 2007
3:20 AM

Post #3066968

I find it interesting and amusing that with all of the respones to this wonderful thread from folks all over the country, that not a single one of the "TV Chef's" resturants has been mentioned. I wonder if any of them are lurking?
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 9, 2007
3:45 AM

Post #3067093

I think they are Hoagies in Boston and they were Hoagies in NC, but in Western Mass, where I grew up...sub sandwiches were called grinders. People here in KY think I'm strange when I say I'm going to get a grinder :) Love it.
hem_iamy
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7b)

January 9, 2007
4:27 AM

Post #3067188

Pegzhere, as a fellow former New Yawka (Lawng Islanda, specifically) I feel your pain... can't even eat pizza out here in NM :( Chinese food too for that matter...
I went to Buffalo for college and was tickled that soda was called "pop" in Western NY :)
pegzhere
Bettendorf, IA

January 9, 2007
4:30 AM

Post #3067191

Hey - I'm from Lawng IHland, tsoo!!!! Would you believe that in a local "best places to..." poll the vote for the best chinese went to a grocery store?????? Surprisingly Brueggers Bagels satisfy my NY bagel need enough that I am not feeling too deprived here. The pizza thing is just a travesty though.
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 9, 2007
4:35 AM

Post #3067198

We were driving through Massachusetts a few years ago on our way to Maine (from Houston, via Philadelphia, and by way of Atlantic City... that's a different story!) We stopped at a nice little restaurant for dinner and saw "grinders" on the menu. The ingredients in them looked yummy, so when the waitress came back I asked her what a grinder was. She gave me the kindest, most sympathetic, "you're-not-from-around-here-are-you" look imaginable, looked around to see if anyone else was listening, leaned close and whispered: "It's a sub sandwich" and then stood up quickly and glanced around again to make sure no one had noticed. LOLOL They were really good, too!
hem_iamy
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7b)

January 9, 2007
4:39 AM

Post #3067202

Oh yes the bagels too! We had a decent NY style bagel placed called Bagel Jo's here that would make the nice breakfast bagel with the eggs and sausage, yummy on the egg bagel (my fave), but they closed last year... :( We have many mediocre buffets, and yes, we have the grocery store Chinese too (Albertson's)~bleah~
I went to a NY style deli here and they charged $10 for a pastrami on rye~

Where on LI were you? I was born and raised in Medford~ :)
pegzhere
Bettendorf, IA

January 9, 2007
4:58 AM

Post #3067221

Garden City. We moved there when I was 6 months old and I left when I was 26. 11 years ago :( It should be outlawed the way some of these places bake a bagel without boiling it first and then nuke and egg to stick on it. Blech!!! Can you get Boars Head deli meats where you are? After leaving NY I lived in Nashville, Atlanta, Dallas and now here. This is the first place I haven't been able to get them.
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 9, 2007
5:00 AM

Post #3067223

That is funny that no one is mentioning any big Chain things like Wolfgang Pucks. i think ma and pop restraunts are more surprising and cheaper usually, you expect those big chef`s places to be good and expensive too. i do not like to go to places that have odd things that are pricy on the menue, it costs too much to take a chance. I went to a Japanese place once that had those boat dinners, have you tried them, it is really unique.
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 9, 2007
5:00 AM

Post #3067226

sounds groase.
hem_iamy
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7b)

January 9, 2007
5:48 AM

Post #3067268

Pegz, I finally found a store that does called Sunflower Market, along the lines of a Wild Oats or Whole Foods but not as pricey~ They don't have a huge selection but I'll make do,THANK GOODNESS! Otherwise I'd have to drive to Santa Fe...
I moved here in '99 and stayed despite the gastronomic trauma, BBQ and Mexican is what I've replaced the Italian and Chinese with...

Hellnzn, do you mean the sushi or sashimi boats? I likee the white tuna...
Somehow I eat sushi in Albuquerque ((shakes head)) No food poisoning yet...
HERBIE43
Rutland , MA
(Zone 5b)

January 9, 2007
11:42 AM

Post #3067431

did you know that the carnegie deli stays open till 4 a.m. in the morning. there are also two other well know delis, the stage deli and katz deli but i think carnegie is the best.
we call them heros here and not grinders or subs. its plain soda and now you can only order an eggcream in the city
luna_baby
On the banks of the , VA
(Zone 7a)

January 9, 2007
11:48 AM

Post #3067445

bubbley sugar drinks are "pop" here

grinders/hoagies are subs

I guess I didn't mention any chains cause I figured everybody already knows the chains, but I like the Make Your Own Pasta option at Macaroni Grill. Pick your pasta, pick your sauce, pick your protein, pick as many frills as you like (veggies, cheeses, etc.) They give you a little order form. : )

I like lettuce wraps at California Pizza Kitchen.

The eggplant burger at Cheesecake Factory. (Cause I hate cooking eggplant at home, the kids are such a pain about it.)

MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 9, 2007
12:01 PM

Post #3067472

Ya know, talking about Pizzas, I haven't had a good pizza since I was home in MA. :( Nothing can compare to a NY style pizza or a Sicilian pizza. And the "subs" here are wimpy!!! I've said for a long time, I'm going to open up a grinder shop and make mile high sandwiches with some umph to them. Subway is sad! Give me an overstuffed sandwich anyday and a pizza piled with cheese, pepperoni, mushrooms, peppers, onions, olives, sausage, ham...no anchovies! I think the one good place we had back home for pizza is gone now too :(

Okay, y'all. it's 8 a.m. and I'm getting hungry for grinders and pizza!!!
HERBIE43
Rutland , MA
(Zone 5b)

January 9, 2007
12:09 PM

Post #3067495

on my last visit to the carnegi deli (am gong again at the end of this month) i ordered a turkey ruben. there was so much meat and cheese on it that i could not see the bgottom slices of bread so i just picked at the top until i was full. then i made three more sandwiches to take home plus about 10 pickels. the tabes are closer together but its just to wonderful to resist. did i tell you that you can feed four people with just one slice of cheesecake that you order for dessart. you all are invited down here.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 9, 2007
1:18 PM

Post #3067702

All this talk of good deli food has my mouth watering. As a young adult we always went over to Miami Beach to Wolfies or Pumpernicks for a late night snack after a movie or play. Haven't been a deli that good for many years although there were a few in Baltimore that came close. We took the Jitney from downtown Miami for 25.
TwinLakesChef
OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA
(Zone 4b)

January 9, 2007
1:58 PM

Post #3067807

Chain Restaurants: Where I Can Usually Find Something to my liking - not necessarily inexpensive

PF Chang's China Bistro
The Cheescake Factory
Marie Callendar's
Red Lobster
Olive Garden
Mimi's Cafe
Black Angus
California Pizza Kitchen
Panera
Claim JumperRuR
El Pollo Loco
Island's
Chilli's
Rubio's for fish tacos
(Wahoo's in Santa Ana is even better)

Hidden or out of the way:

The Hat near the Brea Mall for their "huge" pastrami sandwiches (the rival those from the Carnegie Deli"
Royal Thai Orchid In Orange
Knowlwood Home of the Famous Hamburger
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

January 9, 2007
2:25 PM

Post #3067869

Subs, Hoagies, Grinders - also Po' Boys - all similar - long sandwiches, not round or square.

With my job, I'm all over the country, so I have tried to find local restaurants whenever possible. In CA I have tried a Wolfgang Puck's - good, but not exceptional. In NO, LA have tried Emeril's - very good. Try to avoid national chains unless a local person recommends. Local chains, on the other hand, can be quite good. Max & Erma's in Detroit, James Coney Island in Houston, etc.
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 9, 2007
4:25 PM

Post #3068136

I had lunch with Gardenwife and Lotusblossum at Max and Erma's in Columbus, OH and not only was the company wonderful, but the food was great. As far as TLC's list, the only one(s) I like are Olive Garden (on rare occasions) and Panera.

Did I mention there is a wonderful chinese restaurant in Corydon, IN. The Egg Roll House right on Hwy 135. Always hot, always fresh. He keeps rice noodles on hand for me because I never order what's on the menu. DH does and he loves it too. They give me enough food for 4 meals!

Very, very reasonable. I can eat a whole meal there for $8.
ceejaytown
The Woodlands, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 9, 2007
4:37 PM

Post #3068174

When in Savannah, Georgia, go to Mrs Wilke's Boarding House. You wait in a line outside, and when there is room at a table you are invited inside where you join several other people at a large table - all strangers at the beginning of the meal. Then they just start bringing you food - family style. Meats, veggies, salads, on and on. Wonderful comfort foods. I've never liked greens - theirs were absolutely wonderful!! When you are stuffed, they bring out desserts to choose from. And after you are through, you take your plates and silverware to the kitchen, like a good girl/boy. Simply outstanding! Mrs Wilkes is dead now, but the tradition continues.
plantladyhou
Katy, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 9, 2007
4:43 PM

Post #3068187

That's kind of how the hotel in Blessing, TX works except for one price you serve yourself whatever you want and you can eat by yourself, too. They have some good cooks there. Strictly homestyle cooking, at lot of and it is so fresh and well cooked. Worth a trip from Houston. A lot of fishermen and hunters plan their day around going to lunch at the Blessing Hotel. It's out in middle of nowhere.

Ann
HERBIE43
Rutland , MA
(Zone 5b)

January 9, 2007
4:46 PM

Post #3068195

ceejay - i would like to do that but my wife would not. she would not like to sit with strangers.
ceejaytown
The Woodlands, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 9, 2007
5:19 PM

Post #3068279

They're not strangers for long... Or you can just eat and not talk. I prefer talking...LOL!!! Of course, I was with DH and a couple of friends...
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

January 9, 2007
5:23 PM

Post #3068287

Wait a minute, we're all strangers here, but we have some great conversations - don't we?
ceejaytown
The Woodlands, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 9, 2007
6:23 PM

Post #3068428

Yeppers. And after a little while, we're no longer strangers. Why, Bubba - you're not a stranger!!!!

And, seriously, some of the people at our table of 12 -14 didn't talk, but they sure ate!
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

January 9, 2007
7:03 PM

Post #3068516

Thank's, ceejay.

There was a place just SE of downtown Houston that was similar. Ate there years ago (1976). Cook was about 90. We got there about 12:30 - she appologized - "Well gents, I only got 3 meats and 8 vegetables left, but you are welcome to whatever I have". Served our plates at least 4-5" high. Fresh home made lemonaide in a mason jar.

Stuffed when finished. She came by, picked up the plates and asked, "Pecan pie, choclate cake, or peach cobbler - sorry all out of cherry and apple?".

Think the bill was less than $5 each.
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 9, 2007
7:42 PM

Post #3068615

Wasn't $5 a lot of money back in 1976? :)
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 9, 2007
8:02 PM

Post #3068659

Is this thread geting too long for the dial upers? Just say so or start a new one or tell me how to do it, i have no idea, send me a dmail. I would have loved to go to lunch with garden wife, misty m and lottus, I know more people back east then here it seems. It must be the Cleveland in me. I like most of the chains meantioned too, but i hate Olive Garden,and not real crazy about Marie calanders but there are good things in both, never went to cal pizza but heard it is good. I like Daves BBQ too and i am not a bbq person much., I love love love Baja fresh. I was not talking about sushi, yuck.
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 9, 2007
8:46 PM

Post #3068809

As requested :)

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/683206/
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 9, 2007
9:04 PM

Post #3068850

great. I was on dial up until a year ago so i know how it is. thanks. Is that the real name of your town? If yes, you must have those stick on labels and cary them everywhere.
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 9, 2007
9:12 PM

Post #3068875

I do have dial up and it was getting quite long. I'd like to think that that is the name of our town...with all the rain we've had lately...it might be nice to see the rainbow and the pot of gold. We have a farm in a little town called Andyville, but our postal address is Payneville. Early in the morning, it is like being in God's Land and that what I liken it to...most days.

Blessings,
Kathy
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 9, 2007
9:24 PM

Post #3068915

oh how funny, I always wanted to ask you that. There are some long city and town names I see here. Everytime I go to Cinncinati I always marvel at how pretty Ky is. I will have to check it out. We want to move maybe some day.
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

January 9, 2007
9:37 PM

Post #3068952

$5 was a bit of change for us back then, but we allowed ourselves to eat out once a week for lunch.

Someone please make a second thread for our dial-up friends with forward and backward references for all.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 9, 2007
9:39 PM

Post #3068959

MistyMeadows posted a new thread link above. It's
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 9, 2007
10:00 PM

Post #3069018

Does any of you have access to wireless broadband, we got it last year and we didn`t even know about it, it is about the same price as AOL, which I hated. We have no DSL here.
luna_baby
On the banks of the , VA
(Zone 7a)

January 9, 2007
10:12 PM

Post #3069044

bbrook, no, it's the herding that fascinates me. I could do agility or obedience with the corgies. : )

No, it was Blue Leaf or Blue Plant or something like that but not a cafe...it was a very chi chi place, my Dad took me there doing research. :)

And what is Beaker_ch fudge?
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

January 10, 2007
12:23 AM

Post #3069414

Luna_baby. they do herd the duck/ geese just like the sheep. Beaker_ch fudge was a no thermometer fudge that was a super easy one that she listed recently in recipes. It is almost identical to one in the latest Cook's Illustrated Mag for Jan and Feb 2007. Here is a picture of that famous BC guy from Skye, Scotland who works both sheep and birds. The logic is that you can continually work the same fowls, but not the same sheep. I think. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd

TwinLakesChef
OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA
(Zone 4b)

January 10, 2007
4:36 AM

Post #3070096

ditto
jasmerr
Merrimac, WI
(Zone 4b)

January 11, 2007
4:38 PM

Post #3074402

Happy Birthday, hellnzn11!
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 11, 2007
5:26 PM

Post #3074525

thank you so much, I have had about 5 this morning and my DH said he`s jealous of my dg friends. that is so nice.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 11, 2007
8:25 PM

Post #3074922

Happy Birthday from me, too. I knew I knew your name from some thread, LOL!
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

January 11, 2007
8:26 PM

Post #3074928

Happy birthday Hellnzn11, it is mine too. I am celebrating by checking into Mass General for long over due knee surgery in the morning. I hope you have better plans than me. I hope to post some new good chow places for all us hounds that you have inspired with this thread. Thanks, Patti

This message was edited Jan 11, 2007 4:28 PM
TwinLakesChef
OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA
(Zone 4b)

January 11, 2007
8:39 PM

Post #3074951

Happy BD Patti!
jasmerr
Merrimac, WI
(Zone 4b)

January 11, 2007
9:19 PM

Post #3075065

Happy Birthday, bbrookrd! I really think you could have found a better way to celebrate.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

January 11, 2007
9:22 PM

Post #3075071

Don't miss Maria's in the North End for a cannoli when you get out. It will be the perfect post surgical treat.
Best wishes for a quick recovery.
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

January 11, 2007
9:28 PM

Post #3075094

Thanks all, I will hit up Maria's next week when I have to come back for a follow appointment. .I don't think we have been there. We always go to the Salumeria Italiana if we are in the North End for cheese, meat and olives, but because of the Big Dig mess that is now mostly over, we haven't been in awhile. Good reason to go soon. Thanks, Patti
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

January 11, 2007
10:59 PM

Post #3075310

Oh, I love Salumeria Italiana and order online from them now; really pricey but wonderful stuff. I lived briefly in downtown Boston a few years ago and one of the most enjoyable things I ever did was take the North End Food Tour. You get to go to all the special places like the bakery that still bakes 400 loaves of bread at a time in a wood fired oven, the candy place to learn about italian candies, wine store, produce, etc. Naturally you get to taste in all these places. We even got to try grappa in the liquor store. Delicious fun.
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

January 14, 2007
1:15 PM

Post #3082499

ardesia, I didn't know I could order from Salumeria on line. That is great information. I am back in Nantucket, but not feeling real bright after the surgery. My DH went to J.P Licks in Jamaica Plains and got me a fabulous Ice cream cake for my B-day. That is a fine ice cream spot. One of the best in New England. He went to the old fish market on the same street which is now a full blown Sushi Restaurant They stopped selling fish years ago and became one of our favorite sushi places anywhere. So I had good food and decent drugs to help with the pain. I go back next Monday for a follow up and will hit the North end. I just hope my new ligament works by spring. Patti
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

January 14, 2007
1:38 PM

Post #3082557

Patti. Being sore after surgery and a bit woozy from the meds is an awful feeling. It will pass and just think, you will have a wonderful new ligament in time for gardening season.

Nantucket is the one place I did not get around to visiting when we lived up there. We do want to travel up that way again; I just can't decide if I want to go in spring to see the daffodils or late fall. One of these days...

Feel better soon. alice
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 15, 2007
2:13 AM

Post #3084950

feel better patti
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

January 15, 2007
2:25 AM

Post #3085000

ardesia, if you come d-mail me, I can give you the tour. Thanks, hellnzn11, I am feeling better tonight. I just hate being so laid out. I arrived home and went straight upstairs to the bedroom. Going up is easy. I haven't
even checked to see what is going on in the greenhouse since Thursday. I have Amaryllis about to bloom so I hope to try going down the stairs tomorrow and check out the GH. I also started some winter sowing, so I am anxious to see if they are happy. Patti

This message was edited Jan 14, 2007 10:27 PM
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 15, 2007
2:26 AM

Post #3085006

don`t do too much too soon girl.
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

January 16, 2007
8:36 PM

Post #3090582

I've been to several of the chain or celeb places and while ok I don't think they are all that...few exceptions..New Orleans new star, John Besh and his restaurant August. Hope he doesn't get so large that he loses his "touch"
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 16, 2007
9:29 PM

Post #3090721

Have any of you ever paid a resterount for a recipee or aquired one from someone you know? My grandma`s friend asked a place for a recipe for their red velvet cake and they said sure, later they got it in the mail with a bill for $500.00.
TwinLakesChef
OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA
(Zone 4b)

January 17, 2007
4:22 AM

Post #3092121

Most upscale restaurants that I have been to have always given me the recipe when I politely asked for it. No one has turned me down yet.
ceejaytown
The Woodlands, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2007
4:32 AM

Post #3092145

Ah - that sounds like the old Neiman Marcus cookie lhoax. And in checking so that I could give you a link to the story, I found this: the old red velvet cake hoax. New to me...
http://www.texascooking.com/features/may99redvelvet.htm
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

January 17, 2007
4:40 AM

Post #3092160

ohh no not my down fall...I love red velvet cake! I MUST not make this...*sigh* How could you post this ceejaytown? My hips do not thank you *G* Sound good don't they? And with this nasty cold weather what could be nicer than staying inside and baking?
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 17, 2007
4:38 PM

Post #3093410

How funny, well my grnadmother use to work for this rich lady in Ohio named Mrs. Hungate and my grandma was a supreme baker so Mrs. Hungate gave her the recipee and it was forever deemed the $500.00 cake in our family. I wasn`t sure there was another name for it until my aunt told me the real name when I was an adult. I didn`t know where it came from either. It probably was the Waldorf because she was very wealthy. I am going to coppy this article and put in my journal. thanks. My mom disowned me years ago and I do not have the recipee anymore.
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 22, 2007
5:00 PM

Post #3110653

did we lose our fire? I guess I will look at travel becuase I never saw the finished or work in progress with our travelers food map.
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

January 23, 2007
9:29 PM

Post #3115018

It's there in spades, hellnzn11.
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 23, 2007
10:58 PM

Post #3115290

?????
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

January 23, 2007
11:15 PM

Post #3115338

Check out the Sticky at the top of the recipes forum.
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 23, 2007
11:42 PM

Post #3115411

Is it the thing that says, this is sponsored by... I don`t know what a sticky is, is there something about our thread on it? Estoy confuso.? Is that where everyone went? Are we finished? Tag, your it.
ceejaytown
The Woodlands, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2007
12:43 AM

Post #3115587

Here it is:
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/682159/
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 24, 2007
1:00 AM

Post #3115647

oh ya i saw that yesterday, it is so nice if anyone travels to have this and if it is used it can be a whole new thread.
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 25, 2007
10:13 PM

Post #3122358

I'm a little behind in updating the top posts.. I'll try to catch up soon! :-) Keep adding restaurants, though. You guys are doing great!
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 27, 2007
12:44 AM

Post #3126569

No you are
Aguane
Phoenix, AZ

September 9, 2007
2:49 AM

Post #3953070

Santa Monica, CA, Ocean Blvd
www.tengu.com
Breathtaking Japanese preparation. Sit at the sushi bar and wow, wow, wow and I'm not exaggerating. This is not your typical Sushi bar. Very very different. Absolutely magnificient fresh fish and preparation. The chefs are wizards.
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

September 15, 2007
6:37 AM

Post #3977169

I will have to go sometime, I tried a few things once in a buffet at this restraunt called The Odyssey. Yuck, everyone loves it though,seems an expensive experiment.
TwinLakesChef
OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA
(Zone 4b)

September 15, 2007
2:00 PM

Post #3977749

Looks like one my daughter and I would enjoy (we are the only ones in our family that do sushi). I emailed the link to her.
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

September 16, 2007
3:10 AM

Post #3980253

Hi Lady, ready for the cold? Are you coming out during the winter or fall at all?
TwinLakesChef
OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA
(Zone 4b)

September 17, 2007
7:43 PM

Post #3985803

As I type, am sitting in the Mineapolis airport; will arrive Orange County at 7 PM tonight; will be there one weeks and then back again in Oct & Nov for one week each. Haven't set up more travel plans beyond that but probably 3 or 4 more trips before next summer.
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

September 20, 2007
4:47 AM

Post #3995941

That is great Arlene, you will get here in time for the COLD and rainy Canadian storm coming in , it started dropping down today and was real cloudy but Fri and Sat are supposed to be freezing in some places. freaky. Bundle up. Welcome back.
TwinLakesChef
OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA
(Zone 4b)

September 21, 2007
5:10 AM

Post #4000573

It's been delightful since I got here. Worked in the garden. Had a little rain at 5 AM this morning. It's been very nice.
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

October 3, 2007
10:24 PM

Post #4045796

That is nice, you know we sure needed it Arlene. I have not been keeping up as you can see, pretty bad on my own thread. lol
TwinLakesChef
OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA
(Zone 4b)

October 4, 2007
1:21 PM

Post #4047606

My daughter just got a big commission check and I was joking with her that she needed to take me to Tengue to celebrate. If we go I
will post about the experience, maybe even take pictures.
Aguane
Phoenix, AZ

October 4, 2007
4:39 PM

Post #4048312

Tengu is a memorable experience.
The Santa Monica restaurant is a little "yuppie", jazzy music, conversation, the place to be. Sitting at the sushi bar and watching the really masterful chefs is a delight. They are exceptional. I saw a sashimi dish prepared that was out of this world. Let me just say that the scallops are brought to you in the shell, alive. They are sliced and arranged very beautifully on beautiful Japanese dishes. If you're squeamish about raw, live food you may lose your appetite or just not want to watch the preparation. I hope you can enjoy it TLC.
TwinLakesChef
OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA
(Zone 4b)

October 4, 2007
7:27 PM

Post #4048898

Thanks for the heads up
ceejaytown
The Woodlands, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 5, 2007
10:12 PM

Post #4052642

Well, I lost mine...
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 6, 2007
12:45 AM

Post #4053069

Your appetite, or your head, CJ?
Aguane
Phoenix, AZ

October 6, 2007
4:21 AM

Post #4053666

LOL. Its not all bad. You obviously can order dishes that are solely prepared in the kitchen behind closed doors. The point is they have the very best quality and you can tell the difference in their fish vs. just about any other commercial sashimi and sushi restaurant prep. Its the best quality.
TwinLakesChef
OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA
(Zone 4b)

October 6, 2007
10:40 PM

Post #4055587

That's what we like . . quality & fresh! I'm sure we'll enjoy it.
ceejaytown
The Woodlands, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 6, 2007
11:32 PM

Post #4055731

LOL, Marylyn. I Just prefer something to be dead before it's sliced up... Heck, I can't even order a lobster from the tank! Wuss...

This message was edited Oct 6, 2007 6:32 PM
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

October 6, 2007
11:47 PM

Post #4055775

ditto. I can take ceviche but that is about as Sushi as I get. I hate California rolls and that isn't really sushi either. Yuck, it's too expensive to experiment to find something I like alright.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Recipes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Banana Split Cake / Personal Pizzas Gayl 1 Aug 14, 2012 9:18 AM
Recipes of ALL the USA States gardendragon 102 Jul 20, 2011 5:26 AM
Crescent Lasagna Nebraska_Jewel 3 Aug 22, 2011 6:35 PM
S.Louisiana Dirty Rice justmeLisa 68 Oct 6, 2010 7:51 PM
Just for GardenDragon Brook 6 Aug 18, 2012 2:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America