CLOSED: Bird ID help

Melbourne, FL

This was a rather large bird, caught a quick pic as he flew over. Coloring looked like a Swallow-tailed Kite, but no split tail.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

That's an Osprey

Melbourne, FL

Great, not sure if I ever saw one of those fly over before.....thanks for the help.

The big crook in the wings is easy to recognize, and in your picture you can see the black stripe on the cheek. They live near water, and once you hear them a few times, their call is easy to remember. A lot of times you'll hear them before you see them

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

Thanks claypa for the tip on the crook for identification

Dea

Hebron, KY

Gardenpom,

Here's a photo of an Osprey that DH and I took in FL at the St. DeSoto Park last January.

Marilyn

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

Here's a side view.

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Linthicum Heights, MD(Zone 7a)

Osprey preparing to land on nest that was built within the light structure at a baseball field .....

Thumbnail by linthicum

And another .....

Thumbnail by linthicum
Marlton, NJ

They are gorgeous birds!!

Hebron, KY

Linthicum,

Wonderful photos!!! Thanks for sharing!

Marilyn

I have one from last summer. It's awfully high but you can see its shape clearly. I heard its call so I knew what it was.

Thumbnail by claypa
Hebron, KY

I haven't heard the call of the Osprey yet. :-((

Melbourne, FL

Wonderful shots! I especially like the one landing. Whenever I sit outside taking pictures it amazes me all the birds I see, especially flying over in groups. Robins the other day, and several time I have seen Swallows, but they are traveling too fast for a shot.

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

fabulous shots everyone. I love watching the Ospreys

This photo was taken in April, 2006 at Centennial Lake, Columbia, MD. The distance that the Osprey travel each year is amazing as well as their respective routes. And, then to find their way back. The following link illlustrates this phenomenon.

http://www.bioweb.uncc.edu/bierregaard/migration_%2706.htm

Thumbnail by linthicum
Marlton, NJ

Beautiful shot!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.