Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Where to Eat in: States/Provinces/Countries beginning with I

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

This is a continuation of a fun thread in the Recipes forum. (see http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/681577/)

Post below with your favorite places to eat, and I'll try to keep them indexed up here. If your state/province/country isn't on the list yet, put it down anyway and I'll be happy to add it!

ICELAND
Bíldudalur
Café Vegamót - It serves a delicious seafood soup that is an absolute must if traveling through there.

Reykjavik
Argentína - It's a steak house and serves the best steaks I've tasted. We've never left there unhappy. Really wonderful and usually very busy so you need reservations.

IDAHO
Elk City
The Elk River Country Cafe; 101 1st Street...best hamburgers we've ever had and real honest-to-heaven Huckleberry shakes & cobbler & pancakes to die for....The very best thing about the establishment, tho, is how customers are treated.

Hailey
CK's

Ketchum
Baci's

ILLINOIS
Chicago
Harold's Chicken; 6346 S Kedzie Ave, 60629, (773) 737-3110

INDIA

INDIANA
Corydon
Magdalena's Restaurant and Gift Shop, on Corydon on the Square (wonderful menu, great gift shop)

Valparaiso
Dynasty Buffet, 219 Lincolnway (You eat too much, but everything is great and not expensive.)

IOWA
Le Mars
Archies Waeside; 224 4th Ave NE, 51031, Tel: (712) 546-7011

This message was edited Aug 8, 2007 12:56 PM

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

I don't live there, but visited Idaho back in September. Even with a freshly-installed root canal (thank you Dr. Sutton in Idaho Falls), these two restaurants will live long in my memory for setting a fabulous table.

CK's
Hailey ID

Baci's
Ketchum ID

A nod to notgrnjean in NJ for the recommendations via her sister.

Payneville, KY(Zone 7a)

Magdalena's Restaurant and Gift Shop (wonderful menu, great gift shop)
Corydon on the Square
Corydon, Indiana

Jerome, MI(Zone 5b)

Dynasty Buffet 219 Lincolnway, Valparaiso, Indiana...
you eat too much...but everything is great...and not expensive..glad I do not live there..
just a great place...

smiles..Diana

Orofino, ID(Zone 6a)

The Elk River Country Cafe 101 1st Street in Elk River ID....best hamburgers we've ever had and real honest-to-heaven Huckleberry shakes & cobbler & pancakes to die for....The very best thing about the establishment, tho, is how customers are treated. You leave feeling like you've just had a family (the members that you really like anyway) dinner. You leave with each member of your party recieving a complimentary bottle of Idaho Ice water which is bottled near there....The owners and wait staff are sincerely interested in providing you with the best casual eating experience you can find anywhere and believe me, we have traveled all over these United States....They are open everyday of the year except for Christmas, Mike, the owner is the chef, and he and his wife greet everyone personally to learn if you were completely satisfied or not....You will not be disappointed...Last year they were voted the "Best Hamburger" in polling in the Lewiston Tribune Newspaper which serves all of our outlying areas as well as up into Washington & this year they were voted "Best Restaurant" in voting at the Tribune so for a small town such as Elk River where only the main street is paved, this really says something!!!!!! It is definitely worth the drive!!!!...Bob & Deb Walter

Lombard, IL

Lisle, Illinois

Pete & Johnny's on Ogden

This is a pub and grill where the food is really good, the price is reasonable (kids eat free everyday) and if you like sports, there are tv's viewable from wherever you are seated.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

I can't believe that I'm the first to eat in Italy...but here's some fine places off the beaten path from our trip back in September 2007.

ITALY

Termini - at the tip of the Amalfi peninsula
Ristorante Salvatore & Mafalda; Piazza San Croce 8 - Via Delle Tore, 2
Tel. 081 8081107 - 8082200
For an out of the way little place, this is a treasure. We had the finest meal of treasures from the sea and impeccable service/hospitality from this humble establishment.

San Michele di Ganzaria - out in the middle of Sicily, near Villa Casale
Agriturismo Gigliotto; S.S. 117 bis km 60
Cell. 337 889052 - 335 8380324 http://www.gigliotto.com
This is also a place to stay, but the food here is outstanding and plentiful. Be careful when you order "complete" -- that means multiple courses with multiple plates for each. This should be a "must eat" for anyone hiking/biking across Sicily.

Catanzaro - in Calabria south of the Sila Mountains
Agriturismo Raffaella; Loc. Comunelle (San Elia)
Cell. 320.2509755 http://www.agriturismoraffaella.it
This is a place to stay as well. Since it is not real close to town, it has meals available. They set quite the table, from the antipasti up through primi and secundi.

Mancuso - in the middle of the Sila Mountains
a putica; Loc. Villagio Mancuso - 88055 Taverna (cz)
Cell. 340 2773877 or Cell. 340 2837308 http://www.aputica.it
This is a little store/sandwich counter in the mountain village of Mancuso, and there is nowhere else to get food for kilometers around. They put together some serious road food (great crusty Italian loaf with meats, cheeses, olives, and some things I still don't know), and it lasted us all the way up to Matera.

A view from the deck at Agriturismo Raffaella...

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley
Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

In Rockford, Illinois and also in Davenport Iowa..........The Machine Shed. If you go away hungry from there it is your own fault. Good old-time cooking. There is one in Wisconsin down towards Milwaukee and another one in Iolathe, KS. There might be more, I'm not sure. My Spousal Unit LOVES their Apple Dumplings. :>)

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

The Machine Shed is also in Des Moines, IA. I agree, you probably won't leave hungry if you like down-home style cooking. Lots of meat and potatoes. DH loves it and will eat anything there. I always try to avoid it! But I totally agree with the apple dumplings, they're great!

Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

Kampai Japanese Restaurant
2330 S. Elmhurst Rd.
Mount Prospect, IL 60056
(847)640-6700

Wonderful tender filets and golden shrimp are my favorites.

Christy's Restaurant and Pancake House
200 E. Irving Park Rd.
Wood Dale, IL
(630)595-4845

This is your diner-type restaurant. My favorite place for breakfast but lunch and dinner are good too. Very clean restaurant, good service which mean alot to me. Very nice and personable owner who really knows the restaurant business and has passed that on to his son who hosts as well.

Knoxville, IA(Zone 5a)

In Iowa, the Amana Colonies have some great restaurants, the best known is the Ox Yoke Inn. Always a special place to go. If you like the Machine Shed, sometime try their Sunday breakfast buffet. My favorite Italian restaurant is Bravo, at Jordan Creek Mall in West Des Moines. Have you guessed that I love to eat out?

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

If you happen to be in Greencastle Indiana

Almost Home...located on the Square
A lot of food made from scratch.....Fabulous desserts!

Filmore Indiana...(south of Coatesville Indiana, Hendricks County)
Bert & Becky's....this is a real small diner in a real small town where the owner makes everything from scratch! She is the daughter of Bert & Becky , the original owners They only serve breakfast & lunch, closing @ 3pm.

Reston, VA(Zone 7a)

Ames, Iowa----definitely eat at Maude's for an upscale experience that's worth every penny. I've been there 5 times on my annual pilgrimage to the state of corn and pigs, and it's always exceptional. Enjoy!

Marysville, OH(Zone 5b)

Quincy IL - try Sydne's on 12th St. A tiny place. Great food. And the people make you feel like you're their best friends. Breakfast and Lunch only, but they'll deliver.

For those who like the big heavy old fashioned Sunday dinner type meals, drive about 15 miles east on Highway 104 to Liberty IL and eat at Mike's Place. People literally come from miles around to eat there - and eat and eat. (Did I mention they give you a lot of food for the buck?) I'm not fond of merengue but if you are - they pile it on their pies about 2 stories high.

And all Quincians know about Sprout's great lunch deal. It's on 12th St. too - north 12th.

Elkhart, IA(Zone 5a)

Iowa:
The Cafe in Ames
Aunt Maudes also in Ames
Hickory Park (best bar be que ribs in the world!) Also in Ames
Thai flavors in Ankeny
Outback Steak house ( the only place you can get a rack of lamb around here) Ankeny and Des Moines
The Latin King in Des Moines
Splash also in Des Moines
The Farmers Kitchen in Atlantic Iowa (Best homemade pie!)

Elkhart, IA(Zone 5a)

Iowa:

Golden Corral in Sioux city (best golden corral that I've been too so far)
El Rodeo in Des Moines

Chesterton, IN

Indiana

The Port Drive-In, 419 Calumet Ave, Chesterton IN ***Summer only!!!***

Drive-in style restaurant with car hops. Lots of unusual items on the menu; "Spezi" (a Coke/orange combo), Green River (a Chicago original lime soda), Southern fried pickles, smelt, Pochito (chili cheese dog in a flour tortilla), Mouse Ears, and their own home-made root beer. They also have a short list of vegetarian items. Their onion rings and their strawberry shortcake (made on one of those heavy biscuits) are the absolute best!

Its retro-charm is a big draw. Painted brown with orange trim, it's decorated outside with older advertizing posters. Inside is decorated with the local team logo, old local newspaper articles, tin signs, old license plates, Hot Wheels and model cars.

The food is good, but a little pricey. Consider it your trade-off for a hard-to-find experience! Check out their Menu and Photos pages. http://www.theportdrivein.com/index.php

You *can* go inside, but why would you *want* to? ;)

This message was edited Jun 15, 2011 11:38 AM

Elkhart, IA(Zone 5a)

Iowa

Navarrete in Sioux city, Iowa...great mexican food and good priced.

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Granger Indiana, Eddie's Steak Shed, on Indiana 23,they have been around for many years, hand cut steaks, a menu that will make your mouth water. The specality is Steak for two, 32 oz steak, salad , potato, and all of the trimmings. Their breakfast menu has some of the best biscuit and gravy I have ever tasted, not to mention the omlettes, enough for two.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.