Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Where to Eat in: States/Provinces/Countries beginning with L

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

This is a continuation of a fun thread in the Recipes forum. (see http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/681577/)

Post below with your favorite places to eat, and I'll try to keep them indexed up here. If your state/province/country isn't on the list yet, put it down anyway and I'll be happy to add it!

LOUISIANA
Abita Springs
Abita Springs Café, 22132 Level St. 985-867-9950
Artesia Restaurant

Covington
Acme Oyster House 519 E. Boston St., 985-898-0667 (any of the ACME chain is good)

Houma
Big Al's for anything seafood!

Lacombe
Sal and Judy's, 27491 Hwy. 190, (985)-882-9443

Madisonville
Coffee's Boilin' Pot (For boiled crawfish when they are in season)
Morton's Seafood Restaurant & Catering, 702 Water St.; 985-845-4970

Mandeville
Louisiana Grill, 2223 N. Causeway Blvd.; 985-727-5585

Metairie
Cheesecake Bistro (Be sure and try the crawfish egg rolls.)

Natchitoches
Lasyones Meat Pie Kitchen, 622 2nd St; 71457

New Orleans
Angelo Broccato's Italian Pastry Shop at the corner of Carollton Avenue at Canal Street. The cannoli is to DIE for. Spumone ice cream, and all sorts of Italian ices, too. Biscotti, etc.
Cafe Du Monde (For beignets.)
Copeland's of New Orleans - or any location in the state
Danny & Clyde service stations in the greater New Orleans area (They have great po-boys to go.)
Felix's - one or two blocks off Canal Street, behind the old Maison Blanche building. Great shrimp, oyster, and hot sausage po'boys.
Mandina's Restaurant; 3800 Canal St 70119, (504)482-9179 (Try the soft shelled crab and a bowl of turtle soup. Yum! And their French bread is terrific.)
Mother's (For sandwiches and po-boys.)
Muriels, in Jackson Square...it's a break from the spicy cajun for a night. The Creme Brulee is a must.
Palace Cafe
Sid-Mar's (Not sure if it is open after Katrina.)

Shreveport
Lunch at Herby K's

This message was edited Apr 5, 2007 9:26 AM

Marshfield, MO(Zone 6a)

Oh man, there are sooo many good places to eat in Louisiana.

In Natchitoches, Lasyones Meat Pie Kitchen 622 2nd St Natchitoches, LA 71457

Lacombe - Sal and Judy's 27491 Hwy. 190 Lacombe (985)-882-9443

Abita - Abita Springs Café 22132 Level St. Abita Springs 985-867-9950; Artesia Restaurant

Covington - Acme Oyster House 519 E. Boston St. Covington 985-898-0667 (any of the ACME chain is good)

Copeland's of New Orleans - any location in the state

Madisonville - Coffee's Boilin' Pot for boiled crawfish when they are in season; Morton's Seafood Restaurant & Catering 702 Water St. Madisonville 985-845-4970

Mandeville - Louisiana Grill 2223 N. Causeway Blvd. Mandeville 985-727-5585

New Orleans - Palace Cafe is my favorite but there are so many good ones, you can hardly go wrong, just don't eat at any franchise places when you are in New Orleans; don't miss Cafe Du Monde for beignets. Mother's for sandwiches and po-boys. But if you are in a hurry and want a really good po-boy on the road, stop at any of the Danny & Clyde service stations in the greater new orleans area and they have great po-boys to go.
Sid-Mar's in Bucktown in New Orleans used to be great, but not sure if it is open after Katrina. Cheesecake Bistro in Metairie is open after Katrina and I love going there, too. Be sure and try the crawfish egg rolls.

Shreveport - Lunch at Herby K's,

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

In New Orleans we like Muriels in Jackson Square...it's a break from the spicy cajun for a night. The Creme Brulee is a must.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

New Orleans
Angelo Broccato's Italian Pastry Shop at the corner of Carollton Avenue at Canal Street. The cannoli is to DIE for. Spumone ice cream, and all sorts of Italian ices, too. Biscotti, etc.

Felix's one or two blocks off Canal Street, behind the old Maison Blanche building. Great shrimp, oyster, and hot sausage po'boys.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Houma

Big Al's for anything seafood!

Missouri City, TX

Henderson, LA
Crawfish House. Take the 1st exit east of Lafayette on Interstate 10, turn North. It is several miles - the road turns to gravel, but suddenly, a large "barnlike" restaurant will appear on the east side of the road. You could probably seat 300 in there.

If it is not crawfish season, they will have crabs - both are worth the effort to find the place.

Lafayette, LA
Prejeans. About a mile north of I-10 on I-49 - east side.
Display cases full of award medals, topped with a huge mounted allegator. Walls have many more trophies for the food. Nice surprise - prices are very reasonable - GREAT food. Locals prefer another restaurant - see next listing.

Missouri City, TX

Lafayette, LA
Prudhomme's. Family restaurant in an old house, several miles north of I-10 on I-49 - east side. Very good cajun fare - wonderful desserts. Simple and homey.

Scott, LA(Zone 8b)

Sorry, but Enola (Paul's sister) Prudhomme's restaurant north of Lafayette has been closed for several years. The building now houses an antique store. It was one of my favorite restaurants.

Missouri City, TX

Thanks for the update.

Baton Rouge, LA

Whats wrong with you people?
Does anyone ever visit Baton Rouge?
Geno's Italian Resurant is awsome. Very romantic.
Also where not much on ambience. (there isnt any, more let a meat market) try Ronnies cracklins, some or the best boudin anywhere!

Alexandria, LA

If you get to Natchitoches, La. you will have to try Mariner's Seafood Rest. on Sibley Lake. Some of the best cooked seafood and salad bar in La. Very comparable to Prejean's in Lafayette, but in my opinion, a little better. Great atmosphere and beautiful lake to watch while enjoying great food!!

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

Hammond:

La Caretta - Mexican
Trey Yuen - Chinese
Tope La - A little bit of everything
Jacmel - Steaks, seafood
Brady's - Bar and Grill
Mariner's - Kind of like Brady's

Eunice, LA

Lafayette:
iMonellis for very romantic Italian and the best crab cakes ever and great wine selectio
Coyote Blues for fun Mexican
Shinto for sushi or hibachi
Marcello's wine cafe for a huge selection of wine, the best old fashioned I've ever had, and delicious italian
Baileys for sunday champagne brunch

Rayne:
Chef Roy's Frog City Cafe (not frog city cafe on the other side of I-10 that is a truck stop) for the BEST seafood you'll ever eat in your life. My all-time favorite restaurant. If you don't stop by when driving through, then you are doing yourself a disservice. LOL

This message was edited Aug 2, 2010 2:05 PM

Eunice, LA

Lafayette:
Southside Bakery for Burgers
Meche's for donuts!

:)

Baton Rouge, LA

Tathib - I WILL try Blue Dog again.. however I was VERY disappointed with them the time I tried !
Here is my review...

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g40261-d670787-r54973745-Blue_Dog_Cafe-Lafayette_Louisiana.html

PLEASE tell me this was a "Fluke" as I really wanted to love Blue Dog. Maybe it was because we could not order off the menu...and arrived at Sunday Buffet late... ???

Mary

Eunice, LA

4004 - Edited my post. I was recommending Coyote Blues Mexican Restaurant and accidentally put Blue Dog. As far as my experiences with Blue Dog are concerned, I find it overpriced and there are a lot better places to get good Cajun cooking. I've also been served food there that was simply too spicy to really taste and enjoy... this coming from a person who really likes it hot! LOL

Baton Rouge, LA

Hello Tathib;

Ohhhhh.... Okay ...that explains it... Well We must have similar tastes... because a Coyote Blues Mexican Restaurant opened up not long ago in Baton Rouge...and I LOVE it !

I'm finding it hard NOT to make a regular Lunch run there... Their Lunch Chimichanga is DELICIOUS!

As far as Blue Dog in Lafayette....I'll try it one more time... let me know if you have another recommendation with similar menu and charisma... ( it IS somewhat charismatic even though the food was less than expected)...

Here - a recommendation for Baton Rouge... The Little Village or "Little Village" on Airline Hwy (Prairieville area). There are 2 locations...I've only eaten at this one....but Several times as it's near my house.

DH and I went there for our Anniversary tonight...and it was AWESOME! Ask for "The Bread" (Actually ....ask for a 1/2 "The Bread"...they'll know exactly what you mean!). The House Salad with House Dressing was delicious! Appy: lightly fried green tomatoes with lump crabmeat and hollandais sauce! Meals we love there: Sea Bass (DH FAVORITE Meal anywhere!), lasagna, veal parmesan, eggplant parmesan. Delicious !

Hugs,
Mary

Eunice, LA

Thank you Mary. We'll have to do that. My dh graduated from Zachary so we go fairly often. I had a birthday Party in the wine room at Jubans in BR great experience

I'm trying to think of places with a cool ambiance - haven't been in years but Cafe DES Amis in Breaux Bridge. Imonellis is great romance but you'd better not be starving because meals usually last two hours. Great if you're sharing a bottle of wine though. Can't beat the seafood at Chef Roy's. And if you want boiled crawfish, I'll let you in on a place that's this areas biggest secret and gem.

Baton Rouge, LA

Thank you Tathib! Great Suggestions! I'll have to find a reason to come that way...

We may end up in New Orleans this weekend.... SO will look for suggestions there....

We did Dragos last time...but not so impressed with that...

Will keep your suggestions in mind for a visit to Lafayette....

((HUGS))
Mary

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

we like The Joint, it's on Poland Ave.

Lafayette, LA(Zone 9a)

What!!! I'm sorry but the best cracklins and boudin has got to be from the Cajun country and not from Baton Rouge. Come on now, Baton Rouge! Are you serious? You gotta be kidding, right?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.