Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Where to Eat in: States/Provinces/Countries beginning with M

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

This is a continuation of a fun thread in the Recipes forum. (see http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/681577/)

Post below with your favorite places to eat, and I'll try to keep them indexed up here. If your state/province/country isn't on the list yet, put it down anyway and I'll be happy to add it!

MAINE
Bailey Island
Cooks Lobster Pound

Bangor
Dysart's Truck Stop (for the real deal)

Bar Harbor
Cafe This Way (great brunch and a 60's throwback)

Bernard (on Mt Desert Island)
Thurston's Lobster Pound

Bluehill
Firepond Restaurant - French/Maine seafood

Ellsworth
Helen's Restaurant

Hancock
The Crocker House Inn, www.crockerhouse.com - Fine dining, reasonably priced, beautiful inn, well behaved children welcome

Tidal Falls Lobster Pound, www.frenchmanbay.org - Restaurant and takeout casual dining room, screened in patio, seasonal

Machias
Helen's Restaurant

Portland
Fore Street
Becky's Diner (Breakfast, chowder and pies)

Scarborough
Pat Pizza (Thin whole wheat crust with any topping. Go downstairs.)

Wells
Maine Diner (Try the lobster pie and cornbread muffins.)

MANITOBA

MARYLAND
Frederick
John Hagan's Tavern
Proof - Artisan Bakery & Barista; 12 East Patrick St, 21701; Phone: 301-668-2303 Fax: 301-668-2302 (For fresh breads)
The Tasting Room; 101 North Market Street, 21701. Phone: 240-379-7772 Hours: Lunch 11-3 Dinner 5-Close Closed Sundays. Reservations are accepted.

Glen Burnie
Seaside Restaurant & Crab House (Crabs - not served at lunch)

Silver Spring
Crisfield Sea Food Restaurant; 8012 Georgia Ave, 20910, (301) 589-1306 (The best oyster stew and rolls, counter seating only. More than a dozen chincoteague oysters in a bowl!)

MASSACHUSETTS
Boston
Maria's Pastry Shop; on Cross Street in the North End (Maria makes the best cannoli's in the world)

Cambridge
Iggy's Bakery (For European breads)

Dorchester
Mario's Trattoria; 789 Adams St, 02124, (617) 436-1993

East Boston
Santarpio's Pizza; 113 Chelsea St (Try the garlic and sausage)

Essex
Farnham's (Famous for Fried clams)

Hyannis
Pain D'Avignon, 192 Airport Road (At the end of an industrial road for Great (real) French Breads)

Nantucket
Downyflake Donut Restaurant (For the sugar donuts and great breakfasts & lunch)
Henry's Jr (Subs - try bacon and cuke on Syrian)
Le Languedoc (Fine dining, they do serve a burger on the cafe menu)

Pittsfield
Teos Hot Dogs Restaurant; 1410 East St, 01201, Tel: (413) 447-9592

MICHIGAN
Ann Arbor
Zingerman's (A real NYC deli in the midwest)

Marquette
Gopher's Cafe (Great atmosphere, tasty and original food, located in the Old Town neighborhood near the University. Uses fresh, local produce when possible. Sit on the wrap around porch (it's a converted Victorian) during balmy weather and watch the world go by.)

MINNESOTA
Burnsville
Jensen's Cafe; 12750 Nicollet Ave S; 55337; 952-808-0500; www.jensenscafe.com - Open 7 days a week, 7:00 am - 2:30 pm (The coffee and French Toast is wonderful!)

Lumberton
Cuevas Fish House Restaurant; 7196 U S Highway 11, 39455, Tel: (601) 796-9017 (Try the catfish, hush puppies and sweet tea.)

Minneapolis
Caps, Minnehaha Parkway? (Some of the best ribs I've wrapped a lip around.)

Pipestone
Lange's - their roast beef is wonderful!

MISSOURI
Bates City
Bates City BBQ on Z hwy.

Bevier
The Pear Tree; (660) 773-6666 Dining worth the drive

Cole Camp
Der essen Platz; (660) 668-2333 Great german food and nachspeisen (desserts)

Collins
Smith's Short Shop, (417) 275-4575 best dessert

Columbia
Buckinghams Smokehouse BBQ (573) 449-7782; Best ribs!
The Candy Factory, (573) 443-8222 Sweet tooth's retreat

Dexter
Hickory Log; (573) 624-4950 Best ribs

Elsberry
Fourth Street Fountain, (573) 898-9793 sweet tooth's retreat

Excelsior Springs
Wabash BBQ; 646 S Kansas City Ave, 64024, (816) 630-7700

Golden City
Cooky's, (417) 537-4741 best dessert

Grain Valley
Porky's BBQ in on Buckner Tarsney and Colbern Rd. Open Fri-Sun.

Harrisburg
Lonnie Ray's Cafe and BBQ; (573) 874-0020; Best ribs

Independence
Dixon's Chili Parlor; (816) 861-7308 best chili
Smokehouse BBQ on 39th St.

Jefferson City
Central Dairy, (573) 635-6148 sweet tooth's retreat

Joplin
Fred and Red's; 1719 Main Street; (417- 781-5341); Specailities are Spagetti red, chili, hand-rolled tamales, cheeseburgers. Meals average $3-6 per person. Cash only; no credit cards or checks. Open Tuesday thru Saturday from 11am-9pm. Closed during August. Seats 23. Smoking allowed.
Richardson's Candy House; sweet tooth's retreat

Kansas City
Arthur Bryant's; famous BBQ
Gates BBQ (Better know what you want - they yell at you and you yell back your order. Good food, tho.)

Kimmswick
The Blue Owl, (636) 464-3128 best dessert

King City
The Aberdeen Steak House; 108 W. Vermont; (660) 535-6585. Open Monday and Tuesday, 11am- 2pm; Wednesday- Thursday 11am-8pm; Friday-Saturday, 11am-9pm. Reservations accepted, though usually unnecessary. Seats 60, non-smoking. Specialities: Hand-cut steaks, fried chicken, chicken fried steak, shrimp, salads. Price: Lunch averages $4 to $8 per person; dinner entrees range from $8 to $23. Visa, Mastercard, Discover, American Express, checks and cash accepted.

Lake of the Ozarks
Time Out, (Serves good food in large portions. It is on the water at about the 6 mile marker overlooking the Gravois Arm Channel - you have to climb up several steps to get in the place since it is up the side of a hill... But it is worth the effort! There is both inside and outside seating.)

Lebanon
Gary's (formerly Dowd's) Catfish and BBQ, (417) 532-1777 best seafood

Lincoln
Charley's Buffet (660) 668-3806; Dining worth the drive

Macon
The Pear Tree Restaurant The place isn't large but the food I'm told is very good.

Marshall
Joan's Drive-In, (660) 886-7771 best chili

Miller
Maggie Mae's Tea Room, 206 E. 4th St; Phone: 417-452-3299. Lunch averages $5-10 per person. Open: Mon-Sat for lunch, 11am-2pm. Reservations recommended for large groups, open year round, catering avaliable, non-smoking. Specialties: chicken enchiladas, broccoli-cheese soup, seven-layer quiche, cheesecake, baked fudge and coconut cream pie

New Hampton
Bear's Aloha Grill, (660) 439-3013; best seafood, great coffee

Odessa
Morgans Restaurant on Old 40 Hwy
Countryside on North Outer Rd just off I-70

Ozark
Lambert's Cafe, ("Home of the throwed rolls." Delicious down home cook'in and you will leave happy and stuffed!!! Allow plenty of extra time and be patient and you will have a unique dining experience!!)

Pittsville
Glory B's on 50 Hwy

Rolla
A Slice of Pie, (573) 364-6203 best dessert

St. Joseph
Famous Dave's Barbeque; I recently went to the open house and tried a sample of their ribs and they were good.

St. Louis
Cunetto House of Pasta - 5453 Magnolia Ave.

Sedalia
Le Marie's Cajun Catfish, (660) 827-3563; best seafood

Sikeston
Lambert's Cafe, ("Home of the throwed rolls." Delicious down home cook'in and you will leave happy and stuffed!!! Allow plenty of extra time and be patient and you will have a unique dining experience!!)

Springfield
Buckinghams Smokehouse BBQ; (417) 886-9979; Best ribs!
Casper's, (417) 866-9750 best chili
Hemingway's Restaurant, (417) 891-5100 best seafood
Richardson's Candy House, sweet tooth's retreat

Warsaw
Chuck Wagon BBQ Open Friday, Saturday & Sunday, Feb. - Nov. Rated in the top three places to eat in Missouri by Missouri Ruralist along with Lambert's Home of the Throwed Rolls.

MONTANA
Bozeman
Louie's

Ennis
The Continental Divide (An incredible chef, a 4 star restaurant, we have an art gallery and our clients love eating there!)

This message was edited Aug 8, 2007 12:53 PM

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

Maine: Helen's Restaurant, Machias and Ellsworth

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

Maryland

For fresh breads

Proof - Artisan Bakery & Barista
12 East Patrick Street
Frederick, MD 21701
Phone: 301-668-2303 Fax: 301-668-2302

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I passed my edit limit for today, so I'll put these on the top tomorrow. Oops!! LOL Keep adding entries, anyway!

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Pat's Pizza in Scarborough Maine for thin crust whole wheat with any topping. Eat downstairs
Fore Street in Portland Maine for fine dining
Maine Diner in Wells Maine for lobster pie and cornbread muffins
Becky's diner in Portland Maine for breakfast, chowder and pies
Dysart's Truck Stop, Bangor Maine for the real deal
Thurston's Lobster Pound Bernard, Maine (Mt Desert Island) (summer)
Cafe This Way Bar Harbor, ME great brunch and a 60's throwback
Farnham's Famous for Fried clams in Essex, Ma
Santarpio's Pizza East Boston Ma (garlic and sausage)
Henry's Jr on Nantucket Ma for subs (try bacon and cuke on Syrian)
Downyflake Donut Restaurant on Nantucket for the sugar donuts and great breakfasts & lunch
Le Languedoc fine dining in Nantucket ( they do serve a burger on the cafe menu)
Pain D'Avignon 192 Airport Road, Hyannis MA at the end of an industrial rd for Great (real) French Breads
Iggy's Bakery in Cambridge Ma for European breads
Seaside Restaurant & Crab House in Glen Burnie MD for crabs (not served at lunch)
Zingerman's in Ann Arbor Michigan for a real NYC deli in the midwest

This message was edited Jan 4, 2007 6:35 PM

Merrimac, WI(Zone 4b)

Jensen's Cafe
12750 Nicollet Ave S
Burnsville, MN 55337
952-808-0500
eat@jensenscafe.com
http://www.jensenscafe.com/
Open 7 days a week
7:00 am - 2:30 pm

The coffee and French Toast is wonderful!

This message was edited Jan 4, 2007 5:33 PM

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

The Continental Divide, Ennis, Montana
An incredible chef, a 4 star restaurant, we have an art gallery and our clients love eating there! And so do I...

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

bbrookrd, I want to go out to eat with you!!! :-) All of those places look wonderful! I've been to Cafe this Way, and it was great. :-)

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

I'm not an M stater, but a quite memorable place that we eat at every time we pass through the Washington DC area is in Frederick MD (whaddya say, Dea).

The Brown Pelican
Frederick MD

We also had one of the finest dinners of our vacation when we had our last meal before flying out of Bozeman.

Louie's (I think that's the spelling)
Bozeman MT

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

It's good VV - really good for both the food and the atmosphere especially :) I'll put up another that you'll really like !

Dea

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

Frederick Maryland - the food is superb, and I mean superb!!!

The Tasting Room
101 North Market Street
Frederick, Maryland 21701
Phone: 240-379-7772
Hours: Lunch 11-3 Dinner 5-Close Closed Sundays
Reservations are accepted

http://pages.frederick.com/dining/tasting.htm

Dea

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

How about MMMMMinnesota ((((brrrr)))). A favorite in Minneapolis is "Caps" some of the best ribs I've wrapped a lip around.

edited to add: It is in south Mpls across from Minnehaha Park. I believe located on Minnehaha Parkway.

This message was edited Jan 4, 2007 7:18 PM

This message was edited Jan 4, 2007 7:19 PM

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Missouri: Porky's BBQ in Grain Valley on Buckner Tarsney and Colbern Rd. Open Fri-Sun.
Bates City BBQ in Bates City on Z hwy.
Smokehouse BBQ in Independence on 39th St.
Morgans Restaurant in Odessa on Old 40 Hwy
Countryside in Odessa on North Outer Rd just off I-70
Glory B's in Pittsville on 50 Hwy
Lucky Lizard Lounge in Waverly.
These are all excellent places to eat.

This message was edited Jan 6, 2007 6:36 PM

Goldthwaite, TX(Zone 8a)

Missouri - St. Louis - Cunetto House of Pasta - 5453 Magnolia Ave.

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

Gopher's Cafe' in Marquette MI. Great atmosphere, tasty and original food, located in the Old Town neighborhood near the University. Uses fresh, local produce when possible. Sit on the wrap around porch (it's a converted Victorian) during balmy weather and watch the world go by.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Thanks Dea. Now I have to plan a two night stay next time through Frederick!

Marshfield, MO(Zone 6a)

Cooks Lobster Pound, Bailey Island, Maine

Missouri: This tea room was recommended by Rural Missouri, a magazine here in MO.

Maggie Mae's Tea Room

Specialties: chicken enchiladas, broccoli-cheese soup, seven-layer quiche, cheesecake, baked fudge and coconut cream pie

Price: Lunch averages $5-10 per person. Some credit cards, checks and cash accepted

Open: Mon-Sat for lunch, 11am-2pm. The gift shop is open 9am-5pm Mon-Sat. Reservations recommended for large groups, open year round, catering avaliable, non-smoking. Seats 110

Located at 206 E. 4th St in Miller. Phone: 417-452-3299

Savannah, MO(Zone 5b)

Missouri: Lambert's Cafe "Home of the throwed rolls"

Location: Sikeston, Missouri and Ozark,Missouri (6 miles south of Springfield, Missouri)

Delicious down home cook'in and you will leave happy and stuffed!!! Allow plenty of extra time and be patient and you will have a unique dining experience!!

I knew I was forgetting one!! Thanks cuckoo!!! There's one called the Pear Tree also here in MO. Has a huge reputation for awesome food but can't remember where it is.

Gravois Mills, MO(Zone 6a)

Well I do not eat out very often. We have hundreds restaurants all over Lake of the Ozarks since it is a big resort area. But I will say if your ever down here and you boating there is a place called Time Out on the water at about the 6 mile marker on the gravois arm that serves good food in large portions. There is both inside setting and outside setting. Only problem is you got to climb up several steps to get in the place since it is up the side of a hill overlooking the Gravois Arm Channel.

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

Maine

Bluehill,Me. Firepond restaurant French / Maine seafood
Hancock,Me. The Crocker House Inn Fine dining, reasonably priced, beautiful inn, well behaved children welcome
Hancock, Me. Tidal Falls Lobster Pound Restaurant and takeout casual dining room, screened in patio, seasonal

http://www.crockerhouse.com/restaurant.htm

http://www.frenchmanbay.org/downloads/TidalFallsMenu.pdf

Calypa, you have my mouth watering with the mention of seafood. That's just not fair. LOL

Missouri:

The Aberdeen Steak House

Speacialties: Hand-cut steaks, fried chicken, chicken fried steak, shrimp, salads

Price: Lunch averages $4 to $8 per person; dinner entrees reange from $8 to $23. Visa, Mastercard, Discover, American Express, checks and cash accepted.

Details: Open Monday and Tuesday, 11am- 2pm; Wednesday- Thursday 11am-8pm; Friday-Saturday, 11am-9pm. Reservations accepted, though usually unnecessary. Seats 60, non-smoking.

Directions: Located at 108 W. Vermont in King City- about 30 miles northeast of St. Joseph on Highway 169.

Conatct: (660) 535-6585. Recommended by Rural Missouri magazine.

Savannah, MO(Zone 5b)

pepper23 I heard some friends talk about Aberdeen's in King City,Missouri. Sounds like a good place to eat.

Cuckoo

I thought so too. It was in Rural Missouri which is how I heard of it. Have you heard of the Pear Tree? Famous restaurant here in MO. Only problem is I can't remember where it is located. LOL

Savannah, MO(Zone 5b)

You know I want to say yes but I really am not sure about the Pear Tree. I do remember one in K.C. area called Stephenson's Apple Tree Inn from my younger days. They had a cornish hen meal that was very good. They also had an orchard with delicious apple cider.

Cuckoo

Still there though no longer owned by that family.

Pine City, MN(Zone 4a)

Here are more MN ones.
http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurants/SearchResults.aspx?st=restaurants&ob=ri.restaurantname&ps=1&s=MN&rt=

Lange's in Pipestone is really good, their roast beef is wonderful!
cuckoo4rblackbe mentioned Lamberts in MO, DH and I ate there, and not only was it a really fun atmosphere, the rolls tasted like home-made. We loved the family-style service! If you go in mid-afternoon, the wait isn't nearly so long.

Cuckoo, Stephenson's is no longer in business. Wasn't making money, had a few other problems so they are out of business.

Her is another restaurant for MO curtesy of Rural Missouri: Fred and Red's.

Specailities are Spagetti red, chili, hand-rolled tamales, cheeseburgers.

Price: Meals average $3-6 per person. Cash only; no credit cards or checks.

Details: Restaurant open Tuesday thru Saturday from 11am-9pm. Closed during August. Seats 23. Smoking allowed.

Directions: Located at 1719 Main Street in Joplin.

Savannah, MO(Zone 5b)

pepper23 I've been checking about the Pear Tree Restaurant and a friend said it's in Macon, Missouri. The place is'nt large but the food I'm told is very good.

Cuckoo

That sounds right. And I have heard nothing but good things about their food. I really need to check it out one day. lol. Course I say that about every restaurant I hear that is good.

Clinton, MO

Missouri

Chuck Wagon BBQ
Warsaw MO
Open Friday, Saturday & Sunday
Feb. - Nov.
Rated in the top three places to eat in Missouri by Missouri Ruralist along with Lambert's Home of the Throwed Rolls

Savannah, MO(Zone 5b)

daylily_lady I bet it's popular down around Truman Reservoir for the boaters, fisherman, hunters, etc. It's hard to beat a good barbeque place to eat.

Cuckoo

Missouri: Best Restaurants of Missouri thanks to Rural Missouri. Sorry, no addresses at this time.

The Pear Tree, Bevier (660) 773-6666 Dining worth the drive

Charley's Buffet, Lincoln (660) 668-3806 Dining worth the drive

Der essen Platz, Cole Camp (660) 668-2333 Great german food and nachspeisen (desserts)

Buckinghams Smokehouse BBQ, Columbia and Springfield (573) 449-7782 or (417) 886-9979 Best ribs

Hickory Log, Dexter (573) 624-4950 Best ribs

Lonnie Ray's Cafe and BBQ, Harrisburg (573) 874-0020 Best ribs

Le Marie's Cajun Catfish, Sedalia (660) 827-3563 best seafood

Gary's (formerly Dowd's) Catfish and BBQ, Lebanon (417) 532-1777 best seafood

Hemingway's Restaurant, Springfield (417) 891-5100 best seafood

Bear's Aloha Grill, New Hampton (660) 439-3013 best seafood, great coffee

A Slice of Pie, Rolla (573) 364-6203 best dessert

The Blue Owl, Kimmswick (636) 464-3128 best dessert

Smith's Short Shop, Collins (417) 275-4575 best dessert

Cooky's, Golden City (417) 537-4741 best dessert

The Candy Factory, Columbia (573) 443-8222 Sweet tooth's retreat

Richardson's Candy House, Springfield and Joplin (417) 632-7171 sweet tooth's retreat

Fourth Street Fountain, Elsberry (573) 898-9793 sweet tooth's retreat

Jefferson City's Central Dairy (573) 635-6148 sweet tooth's retreat

Will post more tomorrow. lol

Savannah, MO(Zone 5b)

Famous Dave's Barbeque is opening in St. Joe., MO on 4/16/07. I recently went to the open house and tried a sample of their ribs and they were good.

Cuckoo

Ok, continuing on:

Dixon's Chili Parlor, Independence (816) 861-7308 best chili

Casper's, Springfield (417) 866-9750 best chili

Joan's Drive-In, Marshall (660) 886-7771 best chili

Except for coffeehouses and micorbreweries that's it on the list.

Frederick, MD(Zone 7a)

Just a note regarding Frederick Maryland dining--The Brown Pelican is closed. It is now a Philly Cheese Steak place.

John Hagan's tavern is very nice. http://pages.frederick.com/dining/haganstavern.htm

Enjoy.
Nancy

Lucky Lizard in Waverly is now closed. There was also another place to eat across the street and it also closed.

Savannah, MO(Zone 5b)

pepper23 Say, what's that barbeque place in K.C. that rolls your large barbequed sandwich up in a large piece of butcher like paper, still cooks out of the original place thats not too big, and still remains one of the best tasting barbeque places in K.C.? Saw it recently on t.v. but have forgotten the name.... I'd recognize it if you think you might know the name of it. I'm scratching my head........??

Cuckoo

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.