Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Bird Watching: My pet Mandies

Communities > Forums > Bird Watching
bookmark
Forum: Bird WatchingReplies: 39, Views: 182
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

January 4, 2007
9:29 PM

Post #3053471

Something I had always wanted and was able to get last year when the house we bought after Katrina had a pond
My male Mandarin

Thumbnail by DonnaB
Click the image for an enlarged view.

DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

January 4, 2007
9:29 PM

Post #3053472

the mated pair

Thumbnail by DonnaB

DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

January 4, 2007
9:30 PM

Post #3053477

5 eggs hatched out of 10

Thumbnail by DonnaB

DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

January 4, 2007
9:31 PM

Post #3053484

Momma teaching them to swim. Only 2 survived so now I have 6 pair, 1 pair are brother and sister that I bred so many they will each pair off with the other male and female I had that didn't breed last year

Thumbnail by DonnaB

Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

January 4, 2007
9:41 PM

Post #3053518

Oh Donna !! I just love these photos :)

Dea
pelletory
Marlton, NJ

January 4, 2007
9:52 PM

Post #3053560

AWWWW, these are such beautiful ducks; the male almost doesn't look real! Love the babies!
Where did you get them from?
Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

January 4, 2007
9:54 PM

Post #3053565

Donna,

Those photos are all beautiful and adorable!

Thanks for sharing!

Marilyn
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

January 4, 2007
10:03 PM

Post #3053589

DH had to drive us 5 hours north to Natchez to buy them from a lady. Just didn't want to put poor ducks through being shipped by buying from a on line dealer
lilyfantn
Kingsport, TN
(Zone 6b)

January 5, 2007
10:37 PM

Post #3056759

Oh they are beautiful! I have heard that ducks are really good for gobbling slugs out of your garden too. Do you have to keep them penned in away from neighborhood cats and dogs?
hem_iamy
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7b)

January 6, 2007
12:44 AM

Post #3057121

WOW Donna those guys are gorgeous!!! Cute babies and kiddie pool :)
How are their temperaments? ~Amy :)
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 6, 2007
1:53 AM

Post #3057296

Hi Donna, I just found out about this forum, today. I love your Mandarins. I rehab ducks...usually Wood ducks. A close cousin to your Mandies. Here is one of my Woodies

Kim

Thumbnail by duckmother

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 6, 2007
2:32 AM

Post #3057406

All your ducks are incredible! I thought the males were fake they are so colorful! All I can say is "WOW"!
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 6, 2007
2:44 AM

Post #3057437

I love ducks and those are gorgeous! Something about how they look so ungainly on land and so graceful in the water or in the air. There is an apartment complex on my way to work with duck, some are Mallards and some look like plain white farm ducks but I really enjoy seeing them when I go to work. My favorite is when they feel driven to "run", makes me laugh everytime I see it=)

I couldn't handle breeding them. It would break my heart everytime one didn't make it. You are definitely a strong woman!
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

January 6, 2007
4:19 AM

Post #3057730

they are rather shy and really freak out if my grandkids go to the cage and most strangers. Some people they don't mind. They do not like the color red and bright floral prints for some reason. The only time they freak out when I go to clean the cage is if I am wearing that.

I usually have about 25 wood ducks come to my pond but since it flooded to twice its normal size a couple of months ago from heavy rains I haven't had any until today and only one pair. They are very spooky. If they see us move on the front porch they will run into the woods or fly off.

I keep mine caged because they would get shot and eaten around here if they flew off with the wood ducks to the river and bayous. I got them with intentions of putting them out into the pond but when I went to get them the lady said if I didn't still want both pairs I had paid for another man wanted them. He drove up and got 2 pair. Released them on his pond and they walked off into the woods and never returned
konkreteblond
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 6, 2007
4:37 AM

Post #3057761

Oh my! That is such a beautiful duck! I have never seen one but now I know why you had to have them! They sure make me wish I had some water so I could have some. I'll just have to settle for my butterflies. :)
hem_iamy
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7b)

January 6, 2007
5:47 AM

Post #3057843

Donna, that's neat to know about their dislike for the red and bright flower prints! Competition?

Gorgeous pic as well, duckmother!

...gonna hafta go to the zoo... (shuffle)... I miss the water too...

~Amy
lilyfantn
Kingsport, TN
(Zone 6b)

January 6, 2007
12:04 PM

Post #3058063

Gee this is so interesting! How awful for that man to have had his wood ducks fly off! And that is so interesting about the ducks not liking red or bright flower prints - just the opposite of what a hummer will go for!

The only ducks I am familiar with around here are the mallards that live on our river in town. These ducks nest in the oddest locations each spring. We have had a female build a nest and raise 16 ducklings 4 feet from the front door of the elementary school I work in. We had to put up yellow caution tape around the area to keep the kids from getting into the nest. Then when she was ready to leave for the river she had to walk them across a two very busy streets. We happened to be there that afternoon and two of the parents who were picking up their kids from our afterschool program helped us stop traffic on both streets so they could cross. Unfortunately one of the streets had a nice big puddle in it and all the ducklings wanted to stop and play in it lol! The mother was a nervous wreck - not to mention us too.

Here are some shots of the ducks that live on our river. I always wonder when I go for walks along the river if any of these mallards are the ones that nested at our school.

Thumbnail by lilyfantn

lilyfantn
Kingsport, TN
(Zone 6b)

January 6, 2007
12:07 PM

Post #3058071

time for an after bath stretch!

Thumbnail by lilyfantn

lilyfantn
Kingsport, TN
(Zone 6b)

January 6, 2007
12:10 PM

Post #3058078

and a quick tail wiggle to get everything back in place...

Thumbnail by lilyfantn

lilyfantn
Kingsport, TN
(Zone 6b)

January 6, 2007
12:11 PM

Post #3058082

this duck looks like its smiling in it's sleep. :-)

Thumbnail by lilyfantn

pelletory
Marlton, NJ

January 6, 2007
12:24 PM

Post #3058108

Nice captures! Love the stretch.
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 6, 2007
12:39 PM

Post #3058136

lilyfantn - Loved your mama duck and her ducklings story! Especially them crossing the street! Too cute! Thanks for shaing that story. Made me smile. (I work at a school, too. Though we don't have ducks, just sandhill cranes!)
Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

January 6, 2007
4:10 PM

Post #3058682

Lilyfantn,

Wonderful photos!

Thanks for sharing.

Marilyn
hem_iamy
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7b)

January 6, 2007
4:20 PM

Post #3058717

Great series and story Lilyfan! I love the pic of the one sleeping with a smile...
~Amy :)
lilyfantn
Kingsport, TN
(Zone 6b)

January 6, 2007
4:21 PM

Post #3058725

Thanks - its more fun sharing with you guys!

Wow Becky - I'm envious of your sandhill cranes!
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 6, 2007
4:29 PM

Post #3058762

Ducks are always entertaining! Whenever you are feeling stressful, watch a duck and in no time, you will feel better!
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

January 6, 2007
4:31 PM

Post #3058768

I have thought about buying some mallards to put in the pond to see if they will hang around then if they do maybe I will release 1 pair of the Mandarins(nonbreeding) to see if they also stay. Got to do something since DH won't build me a bigger cage and I now have 6 of them and they will be breeding again in April lol. I have tried to give away a couple and they say the same thing I do. I would have to shoot dogs running loose for killing my ducks. Living in the country everyone leaves their dogs running loose and they all like to come through my 4 1/2 acres for some reason. Mine little dogs have a fit. Have had Deer dogs laying beside my duck cage. They think it is their kennel lol. They have never tried to harm my ducks. I feed them and call the owners. Think today is last day of seer season yea!!!! now they will come back to feed on the corn by my pond

Thumbnail by DonnaB

DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

January 6, 2007
4:32 PM

Post #3058775

yes duckmother. Mine go nuts when I clean their pol and put fresh water. It is so funny. or when I put minnows in there for them
konkreteblond
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 6, 2007
4:51 PM

Post #3058845

Deer dogs? Can you tell I live on the prairie? I was coming back from Houston last year and on the side of the highway some deer had come out from the trees. I was SO excited that I let out the 2 yr old yelp! (couldn't do the happy dance while driving) I really wanted to pull over and back up but I was going too fast and too many cars on the road. They probably would not have understood.
Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

January 6, 2007
5:01 PM

Post #3058877

What's a deer dog?
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

January 6, 2007
6:02 PM

Post #3059046

hound dogs trained to chase deer out in the woods so the hunter can find and shoot them. People spend a fortune on them down here. Some people put GPS tracking collars on them so they can find them to bring them back home
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 6, 2007
6:18 PM

Post #3059079

LOL They do love new water and really loooooove minnows. Do you feed yours crickets? Mine will crawl all over me trying to get a cricket! When they have all been eaten, the ducks will stick their head down in the container over and over, just in case one is still there. They almost as comical with worms and watermelon!
Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

January 6, 2007
6:20 PM

Post #3059086

Donna,

Thanks for the info.
Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

January 6, 2007
6:22 PM

Post #3059094

Duckmother,

ROTF!

Marilyn
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

January 6, 2007
8:08 PM

Post #3059351

oh thanks for the info DuckMother. DH put worms out from fishing for the birds. Will have to tell him to feed to the duckies next time. Haven't tried crickets. I am learning as I go. My Dr told me his ducks love the horse sweet feed. plan to try some of that too. I feed them cracked corn, Mazuri Breeding pellets and Starter, Sunflower seed chips, peanuts, and pigeon grit all mixed together. I give them a side dish of peanutbutter suet balls Lowes sells for the BlueBirds. They love it. Bread they barely touch and it gets moldy so quit giving it to them
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 6, 2007
8:45 PM

Post #3059430

Oh, I am so glad you no longer give bread. It is very bad for them! Especially, during the summer, it can cause Botulism! Otherwise, it is empty calories...no nutritional value...kinda like soft drinks are for humans. You are doing a great job of feeding, with other named foods. And don't think that you did something wrong...I fed ducks bread, crackers, etc all of my growing up years. I have learned so much about ducks, since I started rehabbing, years ago.

Ducks that you see at the park, local pond, etc are not stupid and when they see someone with food they will put on quite a show, to be rewarded with the human food. I have seen people give them anything from french fries to chocolate to popcorn. Usually, what I tell people is "if it is bad for us...it is bad for ducks!" I do not get on to people for feeding my ducks, bread. Especially, if that is all they have and or they have little ones tagging along. But, if they ask what I am feeding, I will tell them all that I just told you . LOL Plus, when the ducks see me coming, they swim like crazy to be the first to the lettuce, millet, corn, watermelon, crickets, etc. ;o)

I don't know how far away you are from Little Rock, but, I would love to have some Mandies! Do yours fly or have clipped wings? Do they ever cry for you to fly with them? How do they take to cold/snow. I have found, that all of mine have different personalities and some will not leave my side, some want to snuggle, some hate water and or snow and some cannot stand me ;o)) I would so love to have a pair or 14 LOL

Kim
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

January 6, 2007
10:03 PM

Post #3059651

Mine can fly some in the cage. It is 6' tall, 7' wide and 13' long. It was a kennel we got at Lowes. We covered the top with plywood on one half and chicken wire on the whole top. The half that is just chickenwire has shade cloth. I clipped their flight feathers when i first got them encase they tried to escape until they got to know us. They grew back when they molted. They can fly away if they get loose. They have never tried to escape. Captivity is all they know, although when the pond flooded and their cage was 2' deep in water they sure liked it. I see them pacing back and forth when it dropped out of their cage and was on the edge of it
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

January 6, 2007
10:08 PM

Post #3059664

Oh forgot to say. Motherduck if you want to make a trip down I would be happy to give you a pair. Don't know anything about shipping live anamials and wouldn't want to put them through something like that anyway
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 6, 2007
10:25 PM

Post #3059734

I would not want you to do that...we would both worry too much ;o). I will talk to hubby and see if we have room for more ducks. I know the neighbors would like new mascots. We have a lot of gatherings at our house, when we have new babies.

I wonder if they would do well at our neighborhood lake...I will have to do some research and see. Our Woodies only migrate about 3 miles. lol So, the Mandies just might stay, too.

Thanks,
Kim
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

January 6, 2007
10:30 PM

Post #3059752

the Mandies would stay with the woodies I am sure. We don't get snow here or that cold for very long so not sure how they would do. They originate from japan I believe and it snows there and if the woodies can take it the Mandies should be able to

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Watching Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Best Trees and Shrubs for the Bird Garden? tabasco 234 Jul 2, 2011 1:55 AM
Show me your feeders!...Part 2.... Sheila_FW 302 Nov 12, 2010 11:27 AM
Rose-breasted Grosbeak DonnaB 47 Jul 8, 2011 1:39 AM
Cedar Waxwing Photos duckmother 13 Oct 17, 2007 1:38 AM
Trumpeter Swans Grasmussen 17 Sep 7, 2008 7:53 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America