Where to Eat in: States/Provinces/Countries beginning with V

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

This is a continuation of a fun thread in the Recipes forum. (see http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/681577/)

Post below with your favorite places to eat, and I'll try to keep them indexed up here. If your state/province/country isn't on the list yet, put it down anyway and I'll be happy to add it!

VERMONT

VIRGIN ISLANDS
St. Thomas
Craig & Sally's (They have an appetizer - eggplant cheesecake that's to die for! Honest!! DH hates eggplant and he loved this. Sounds awful though, doesn't it?)

VIRGINIA
Harrisonburg
Joshua Wilton House; 412 South Main Street; 540-434-4464. Lovely Victorian bed and breakfast, the dinner offerings are fresh, imaginative and all-around delicious. One of my favorite features about the place is the little message on the bottom of the menu asking diners to turn off their cell phones! It's a wonderful, relaxing place with a delightful staff. The creme brulee is heavenly - creamy and silky inside.

Middletown
Route 11 Potato Chip Factory; U.S. Route 11; 22645; 800 294 SPUD (7783) Officially open to the public Monday through Saturday 9 - 5 (To walk in and get a hot bag of greasy yummy chips right out of the fryer is a thing of beauty)

Newport News
Al Fresco, Oyster Point Square. Our favorite Italian restaurant. When you make your reservations, ask for Vinnie as your waiter - 11710-A Jefferson Avenue; (757-873-0644). The steak salad is out of this world, as is the Frutti di Mare.
Haijindesu Located at 2180 William Styron Square, Port Warwick. (595-8410) Japanese, Thai and sushi. Clean, elegant, minimal decoration, airy and open, and a warm reception from the staff and owner. Going there for lunch feels like a little vacation in the middle of the day. I love the seaweed salad, and the rare tuna appetizer with wasabi dressing. Their Chirashi is gorgeous (and delicious).

Pounding Mill
CUZS, Route 460; (276) 964-9014 Great food. Not open all year. Love their big juicy steaks.

Stafford
Roy Rodgers; 2899 Jefferson Davis Hwy,22554, (540)659-5088

Staunton
Mrs. Rowe's Restaurant and Bakery Take exit 222 off I-81. Route 250 East about 200 yards. Wonderful homestyle food. Plus many menu items available frozen for take home. Pies, cakes and cookies by the piece or whole/dozen. We went about 150 miles out of our way to have lunch at Mrs. Rowes on our last trip south.

This message was edited Aug 8, 2007 1:07 PM

Renfrew, PA(Zone 5a)

Mrs. Rowe's Restaurant and Bakery in Staunton,Virginia. Take exit 222 off I-81. Route 250 East about 200 yards. Wonderful homestyle food. Plus many menu items available frozen for take home. Pies, cakes and cookies by the piece or whole/dozen. We went about 150 miles out of our way to have lunch at Mrs. Rowes on our last trip south.

This message was edited Apr 1, 2007 1:09 PM

Poquoson, VA(Zone 8a)

Oh, my gosh, we're going to have to go to Middletown. We LOVE Route 11 Potato Chips!

Here are some more Virginia places:

Thaijindesu in Newport News, VA. Located at 2180 William Styron Square, Port Warwick, Newport News Phone: 595-8410 Take out: 595-8401. Japanese, Thai and sushi. Clean, elegant, minimal decoration, airy and open, and a warm reception from the staff and owner. Going there for lunch feels like a little vacation in the middle of the day. I love the seaweed salad, and the rare tuna appetizer with wasabi dressing. Their Chirashi is gorgeous (and delicious).

Al Fresco, Oyster Point Square, Newport News, VA. Our favorite Italian restaurant. When you make your reservations, ask for Vinnie as your waiter - 11710-A Jefferson Avenue Newport News, VA 23606-1905 757-873-0644. The steak salad is out of this world, as is the Frutti di Mare.

The Joshua Wilton House, Harrisonburg, VA. Lovely Victorian bed and breakfast, the dinner offerings are fresh, imaginative and all-around delicious. One of my favorite features about the place is the little message on the bottom of the menu asking diners to turn off their cell phones! It's a wonderful, relaxing place with a delightful staff. The creme brulee is heavenly - creamy and silky inside.

Joshua Wilton House
412 South Main Street
Harrisonburg, Virginia 22801
1-540-434-4464
toll free
(888)-2WILTON
(888)-294-5866

This message was edited May 18, 2007 2:48 PM

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7b)

In Fredericksburg VA..

Cracker Barrel-Rt 1, Massaponax exit off 95

Panera Bread-Cosner's Corner, Rt 1, Massaponax exit off 95

Red Lobster, Rt 3 off 95

Golden China-Rt 1, Massaponax exit off 95 (best chinese I have ever eaten)

(Bev) Wytheville, VA(Zone 6a)

Virginia
downtown Wytheville; I-81/I-77 exchange
Skeeters, http://www.hollyeats.com/Skeeters.htm , a little hole in the wall place, with the very best hotdogs I've ever eaten. They melt in your mouth, so you can't eat just one!

Marion; 2035 Lee Highway/US-11, off of I-81
The Dip Dog Stand, http://www.dipdogs.net/ , tiny little place along the side of the road in the middle of nowhere. The Dip Dogs (special corn dogs) are addictive!

This message was edited Mar 29, 2008 11:46 PM

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7b)

Love a great hotdog!!!

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

Fredericksburg -
La Petite Auburge ----- wow....... the flounder is outstanding - everything is great!

Alexandria, VA

Arlington/Crystal City

Ruths Chris right off of Jefferson Davis Highway is one of our favorite places to go. Great rooftop view, good food, good service. A bit pricey so that's where we go to treat ourselves. Santa even got us some gift cards for it this year ;)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.