Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Garden Shed: Garden/potting shed

Communities > Forums > Garden Shed
bookmark
Forum: Garden ShedReplies: 8, Views: 250
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
barbur
Port Lavaca, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 6, 2007
4:48 AM

Post #3057782

I'm drawing plans to build a garden shed with a potting shed attached. I want the messy potting out of the shed used for storage. I'm thinking of putting a wood floor in the storage area and gravel or rock for the floor of the potting shed because I could use the hose to clean after potting. Have any of you ever done that, will it work? I'd like to hear the pros and cons. I'm also planning to put walls only about half way up and screening the top portion so I can see outside while I'm working and screen will keep the mosquitoes out. If you know where some plans are for this sort of constrution, I'd love to know abou them.
CoreHHI
Bluffton, SC
(Zone 9a)

January 6, 2007
6:13 AM

Post #3057871

A guy down the street from me just built something like that but he went all out. He used brick for the floor, which I would say is better than gravel. He put posts in the ground and used barn wall construction. Half the walls were wood then he used poly carbonate panels for the other half.
Dann_L
San Tan Valley, AZ
(Zone 9b)

January 6, 2007
2:04 PM

Post #3058334

Hi barbur,

Try using the 12"x12"x2" square stepping stones found at nearly every home improvement store. They usually cost about $1 each and are easy to use. Then you have the option of sweeping or hosing them off. They won't sink into wet ground, if you drop something you have a better chance of finding it rather than sifting through gravel and they are easier on the feet.

How big are you thinking about making your shed (width, length and height) and what style is the roof (gable, gambrel, rake, etc.)

Dan
barbur
Port Lavaca, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 7, 2007
9:34 PM

Post #3062885

Good ideas, brick or stepping stones would be better for the floor of the potting shed. The screen on the top half would only be on the potting shed. I have to keep the costs down so I'm wondering what would be most economical for the outside covering. I'm thinking of overall 10'x16' with about 9' for storage and 7' for potting. I'm planning to have a rake roof (I had to look that up 8^) probably covered with metal panels. I'm about to head for church so I'll send the ideas that I have on paper when I get back home.
CoreHHI
Bluffton, SC
(Zone 9a)

January 8, 2007
2:29 AM

Post #3063792

Metal will be very hot. Cheap wise bead board is your best bet. Hardi plank would probably be cheaper than metal too. Hardiplank looks like wood siding but is made from concrete and wood fiber. Fire proof and looks like wood at a much lower cost, I would look into that. You do have to paint it though.
CoreHHI
Bluffton, SC
(Zone 9a)

January 8, 2007
2:48 AM

Post #3063836

Here's what I'm thinking of building but I'm figuring out how I want to modify it. http://www.popularmechanics.com/home_journal/home_improvement/1276231.html

First off I'm not going to use a wood floor. I'm going to put posts straight in the ground and use brick for the floor w/a concrete edge. Think I'm going to use hardiplank for the siding, matches my house. Still figuring out the rest. I'm trying to keep costs under $2000 but if I run electric to the shed I'll go over $2000 so I may wait for that. Any ways I'm thinking of using polycarbonate panels to let light in one side or do three sides at one end. I'll have it worked out in a few weeks.

Here's a couple of links for you.
http://www.cloudtops.com/polycarbonate_corrugated.htm
http://betterbarns.com/Barns.asp
barbur
Port Lavaca, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 8, 2007
3:12 AM

Post #3063895

Here is the floor plan.
Opps I'm having problems attaching the file.

This message was edited Jan 7, 2007 10:14 PM
barbur
Port Lavaca, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 8, 2007
3:33 AM

Post #3063999

I'll try the floor plan again.

Thumbnail by barbur
Click the image for an enlarged view.

barbur
Port Lavaca, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 8, 2007
4:35 AM

Post #3064129

Sorry about the quality of the drawing, I'll have to do it again in ink. Anyway, CoreHII, I had looked at that Popular Mechanics plan. But I'm leaning to the rake roof for ease of construction, my sons will probably build it. I like this one because of the roof and the transom windows. http://www.hometime.com/Howto/projects/shed/shed_1.htm Is 10' ok to span for that kind of roof. I like hardi plank is it less expensive than the exterior plywood type sidings?
Since my hubby retired our motto is, "It has to be free or cheap, preferably free."
Keep me posted about your plans.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Garden Shed Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quick-Disconnects for garden hoses? darius 18 Oct 5, 2007 8:07 PM
A Man and His Tractor LadibugZ9 16 May 12, 2007 6:29 PM
Tractor on it's way!!!! whooo-hoooo!!! cici77 16 Apr 26, 2008 9:24 PM
Old Reliable CountryGardens 49 Apr 16, 2010 8:20 AM
Your thoughts on a Mantis? Kell 122 Apr 16, 2012 5:53 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America