Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Homesteading: Genarators

Communities > Forums > Homesteading
bookmark
Forum: HomesteadingReplies: 19, Views: 276
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
phicks
Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 6, 2007
11:32 PM

Post #3059949

Does any one use a Genarator For power at there Place ???? Regards Paul
Magpye
NW Qtr, AR
(Zone 6a)

January 10, 2007
7:24 PM

Post #3071709

Yep, we do, Paul .. on needed occasions.

And our daughter out in New Mexico, uses her generator/s to power her home. She has no affordable/feasible electricity options, otherwise.

- Magpye
phicks
Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 10, 2007
8:07 PM

Post #3071831

i just had a transfer switch added to my home in case of storms but am thinking of geting a wind genartor to power my place
Magpye
NW Qtr, AR
(Zone 6a)

January 11, 2007
3:29 AM

Post #3073311

Definitely makes sense, these days .. to have a stand-by system. An alternative source, is definitely the way to go ..

Oooo, know that you'll be envied, Paul .. about the wind generator. I take it, that you have an 'ample source', on particular occasions? (hee)

Will you be riggin' the set up yourself, or purchasing the equipment and hiring the work for the install? ( kit, etc.) If you don't mind my asking ..

Do you plan to generate enuff to sell back to the big companies, per chance (acquire some credit on your electric 'bills')?

Maybe you wouldn't mind, sharing a bit of what you know, what you have or will have learned .. with the rest of us.

Sometimes wish we weren't perched down so far on the side of this hill - in order to reap the benefit of some of the wind we have on occasion. There are quite a few of folks here in the Ozarks that do have wind generators. Some, where I'd least expect to see/find 'em too ..

- Magpye

This message was edited Jan 11, 2007 10:08 AM
phicks
Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 11, 2007
1:09 PM

Post #3073847

http://store.altenergystore.com/Wind-Systems/Wind-Turbines-Electric/c390/?gclid=CKmump3quokCFQk_gQod3w4jOA am buying mine from here will set it up my self
phicks
Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 11, 2007
1:10 PM

Post #3073849

Magpye is that name you use for a type of crow or raven?
PeggieK
Claremore, OK
(Zone 6a)

January 16, 2007
3:43 AM

Post #3088526

After the major ice storm that has hit here in Okla. there's a lot of people who have no electricity.

So many have central heat that will only work with electric service. Tonight it's going to be 5 degrees. Many, many people are having to stay in shelters set up by the Red-Cross. There is so much ice on power lines and trees, they don't expect some areas to be restored for 4 or 5 days. It's awful.

Even little gas powered generators would be helpful in some of these situations.

We are very fortunate, we only lost our electric for a couple hours. We also have a propane
gas heater that needs no electric.

We have a tiny cabin style home, about 900 sq. ft. I wonder how large a wind generator would be adequate for us ?

How expensive is something like that ?
phicks
Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 16, 2007
4:18 AM

Post #3088613

some start at about 555
Virginian
Falls Mills, VA

February 8, 2007
3:18 AM

Post #3168384

A few thoughts I might add about generators:

A 6kw generator will power most of our house during a power outage. It has a 12 hp pull-start Briggs motor on it. I have to start it, it is just too much for the wife to start it by herself. The next one I buy will have electric start so she can start it by herself if I happen to be gone away from home.

I think I will get a diesel one next time, too. Northern Tool has one for around $2000. That way I have to store only one type of fuel; diesel. My tractor, truck, and dozer all run on diesel. My back up heat for my house is a diesel furnace. Now if I can just convert that chain saw over...LOL
phicks
Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 8, 2007
12:21 PM

Post #3168866

you can have a electric start put on the one you have if its a 4 horse or more am allso bulding a solar generator it will cost me about 400 or less paul
Magpye
NW Qtr, AR
(Zone 6a)

February 8, 2007
2:18 PM

Post #3169155

Paul,
(sorry, I'd not seen your inquiry about my user name - until now). Just something that came to my ol wee brain some time ago .. despite others assuming that it's because they think I'm 'mouthy'. .. LOL ..

We're currently, on our way back home - from another visit with our daughter, out in New Mexico.

She powers her home with an Onan 5.5 kw (gasoline fuel) RV generator. Powers everything in the home except her Jenn-Air oven/range. Only because the Onan is strictly 110 - not 220 for JennAir. She also has/uses a 10 kw Hobart welder/generator that will/does power everything - including the JennAir!

Those of you, that have mentioned having a diesil tractor, etc. - - want to remind you; that you can also purchase a PTO driven generator to (connect) to your tractor!

I'll check in later .. when we arrive home. Yall take care, and stay warm!

- Magpye
Virginian
Falls Mills, VA

February 9, 2007
1:31 AM

Post #3170859

I have seen those PTO generators. The tractor has to run at 2500 rpm to have the generator make 60 cycle AC. I hesitate to buy one for long term use because it would run the hours up on the tractor quickly. They would be handy for power outages though. Running it off a tractor you would definately have enough horse power to run a whole house.
lotsofkids
Steubenville, OH

March 17, 2008
1:33 AM

Post #4672611

Hi. Yes, our whole house is operated on a diesel generator with a battery bank. I'll try to summarize as best I can.

We have an 11K generator that charges up 8 big batteries (I can't remember the size, but my husband said they're used to run forklifts.) The generator runs an average of 3-4 hours a day total (usually 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the evening, but this is an average). We then run everything in our house on this stored power. We have all modern appliances (propane hot water and dryer) and aren't missing anything that a "regular" house has. (We have 1100 square feet and will be finishing 1100 square foot basement) We do use the efficient light bulbs though, and NEVER make heat with the electricity...no hairdryers, toaster ovens, etc, although my daughters use those cordless curling irons...you can still be fashionable even in the country! If I need to use the regular iron, or toaster, etc. I make sure that the generator is running, then it's not a problem since you're pulling the electricity from the generator and not the batteries.

We've been doing this for a year now, and had power even when our neighbors didn't due to a big snow storm!! We'll be adding a deep freezer soon and will have to adjust it to compensate for the extra draw, but we just keep playing around to try to get the best use of it. We have been using diesel, but will be doing a biodiesel/diesel mix in the spring.

We will eventually be adding both solar and wind (we live on top of a hill that gets a ton of wind) and then the generator will hardly ever run.

The generator and batteries are all stored in a separate shed apart from the house.

This of course is a very general idea of it. For more info I really recommend the book More Power to You, (which you can buy on Amazon.)

Good Luck.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 7, 2008
11:48 AM

Post #4769882

In this area, many are going to propane generators. They will cycle on monthly (automatically) to insure operations. They are quieter while running. Just not sure how efficient they are in propane consumption.
phicks
Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 7, 2008
2:20 PM

Post #4770296

I converted my Gasoline Gen to propane a few months back the kit was a 100.00 bucks and worth it it will give your Gen longer life to plus propane is cheaper here then gasoline i use some solar power to ive been makeing my own panels. i have a bank of batterys to in my shead paul
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 7, 2008
5:23 PM

Post #4771000

Another advantage of propane is it stores better in quantities. Gas breaks down too quickly. Not sure about diesel.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 7, 2008
5:24 PM

Post #4771009

Paul ~ what size was your gasoline generator. What size propane tank do you use. More info on the conversion please...
phicks
Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 7, 2008
5:46 PM

Post #4771134

mines a 15 horse power i got my kit here mine took kit 3 http://www.propane-generators.com/ i use 2 40 gallon tanks paul
luannewolf
Fayetteville, AR

January 20, 2009
12:18 AM

Post #6026058

Dear Magpye,
I bet we're almost neighbors! Don't I wish WalMart would put wind turbines at the top of all of their lightposts in their parking lots like they have on ONE lightpost at the Rogers store!
waprilsky
Swannanoa, NC

June 22, 2009
3:01 AM

Post #6721188

hi everybody. i am thinking about using a genarator. for my home can some one tell me . how or what do you need to do. i'm new to this so i'm not sure which one is the best. im just real tried of paying high power bills. and really can't afford. the wind kind. i don't think. so if anybody has any ideas. please tell me the best. one to go with. i had in mind a gas one also but not to. sure how they work . please help.

This message was edited Jun 21, 2009 10:09 PM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Homesteading Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Share your homesteading experiences and dreams. PeggieK 246 Jul 4, 2012 8:18 PM
Ways to "Live off the land", share your ideas PeggieK 149 Mar 25, 2010 10:10 AM
Looking for possible partners in a homestead darius 71 Mar 24, 2012 3:49 PM
Explain makshi 49 Aug 6, 2008 2:36 PM
Ducks vs. Chickens nivlac 85 Apr 23, 2013 6:45 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America