Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Show me your feeders!...Part 2....

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Join in and show us what you use to feed or feathered friends. What works for you and what doesn't. Pictures please...we want to see!!!
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/681289/

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Ah here ya are!! Just in time!

Here is my newest lil (Orange-crowned) Warbler ... looks like she's here for a while. She still has her insect suet all to her wee self. I did see a flock of what looked like Waxwings this evening, but my camera was inside the house... Will get a pic of one of those soon, looks like they might be sharing the suet with the Warbler.

Thumbnail by debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Here she is again...

Marlton, NJ

Very cute Deb!

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

Great photography, Deb!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Debnes, that second shot is a beauty!!! I haven't had anything but wrens and downy WP on my suet this year. It is a store bought one, so I need to break out my receipe and make some fresh.
Well my weekend is over, but I bought some extra crunchy peanut butter today, mainly for the birds! lol!! I also found a cedar bird feeded at WM for about $8 with seeds too. It was dark by the time I got home and cooked supper, so pictures tomorrow. Hopefully with someone besides sparrows and doves. They have been monopolizing my feeders lately. All you up north have such warm weather this year it hasn't forced the birds down here, plus the early freezes killed a lot of the plants and insects that draws them.
Sorry, I forgot to put a picture in the first post!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

What is with our time? I thought we were on our "real" time. It is just a few past 8pm now.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

thx pelle... and Sheila for keeping such good track of the thread!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

We were all typing at the same time, lol.... thanks Debra, I have been playing with the camera settings.. Maybe getting close to one I can work with..

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

I've managed to get caught up with you guys, in viewing all of your feeders & birds! Such a variety!
Have enjoyed the 'catch up' immensely so! ..

Ahhh, Debnes ..
( .. you, you, you .. ol 'show off' you! .. ) ..
heehee
Your lil yeller rumped she/feller is absolutely beautiful! That 2nd one, is a super t-rific shot, ya got there!!

Q's, please: Should the peanut butter for the hanging log feeders, be the 'crunchy' variety -?-
And, should anything else be mixed in -?- (ex: some coarse cornmeal, maybe)?
Much appreciation in advance ..

((huggs))

- Magpye

Savannah, MO(Zone 5b)

debnes_dfw-tx I love your orange crowned warbler pictures! That second one is great. They are really pretty birds. I have a new digital camera(Xmas) that I'm learning to take pictures of birds, wildlife, etc. and love these threads. I had a large flock of cedarwax wings around our house about three weeks ago feeding on shrub berries in our yard. Sure wish I had my new camera at that time.
I have a big variety of birds and enjoy putting out all kinds of food for them. Many migrating birds are probably not going south as far because of our mild weather we've experienced here. I know other areas have had the opposite problems though.

Cuckoo

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Cuckoo, Please start taking that camera everywhere with you and share the pictures!! LOL!

Phoenix, AZ

One of my feeders. Pic taken late spring. They're still out there. :-)

Thumbnail by magpied
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Yep cuckoo, (and thanks y'all)...Ya just have to carry your camera with you. Mine is always tucked into my purse.. I never leave home without it!

Nice finces magpied.. We get all of those here too.

:>chirp

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Magpye, I usually use crunchy peanut butter in my log feeder, but smooth works too. I don't mix anything else with it for this feeder, only when I make my own suet blocks.

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

We didn't have crunchy when time to fill the feeder. I mixed some corn meal and raisins in it. Don't think anything is required, Magpye. Just depends on how much you want to spoil 'em!
Debra

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

((appreciate the info))
Good, good, good! .. Now, I'm ready to load up the holes, in ours.
Coot jes got it set up yesterday .. and the birds have been checkin' out the empty holes! .. LOL

- Magpye

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I have a friend that bought a small tree. She is going to save it for me to whack the limbs off of. Hope the trunk is more than an inch at least!

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Got my 'mix' fixed up, and loaded up the holes in the hanging log feeder.

However, I did opt to add some corn meal to the peanut butter .. along with a cup or so of the premium bird feed, and added about a 1/4 cup of Crisco shortening. Seemed to be a nice consistency.

I'll take a look-see in the mornin', to see which birds takes a hardy interest.

Again, thanks a bunch, guys ..

- Magpye

This message was edited Jan 8, 2007 10:04 PM

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

Yeah, they're gonna get spoiled!

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

My dog kept barking and scaring them away, but at one point there were 5 of these little titmouse fellas in this tree waiting for a spot today at the feeder (hanging just out of the pic). So, I was left with only one to photograph.
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

And then Mr. C arrived and the last timouse left in a hurry.
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Marlton, NJ

Very nice pics Deb says Pelle (with Titmouse envy)

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks Pelle. Golly, we have SO many titmice here. I will keep the dog inside next time they show up and try to take a really good shot for you. :)
Deb

Marlton, NJ

Thanks Deb, They are in my area just not in my yard very often.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I have the titmouse in my yard, they are just too darn quick! Mr. C hoever, seems to pose, then fly away. It's almost as if he's saying:
"I'll give you one chance, don't blow it!"

BTW..beautiful photo's everyone!!!

Thumbnail by pixie62560
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I have the titmouse in my yard, they are just too darn quick! Mr. C. however, seems to pose, then fly away. It's almost as if he's saying:
"I'll give you one chance, don't blow it!"

BTW..beautiful photo's everyone!!!

Thumbnail by pixie62560
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Really nice pics yall.. and that last one pixie was so good we don't mind seeing it twice..LOL!

My little Warbler was making a lot of racket this evening when she ate the last 2 mealworms in the tray I set out, she then proceded to peck wildly at the plastic tray, as if to say, "I want more of these, right here! tap tap!" I will put some fresh ones in before sun-up tomorrow. She seems to know me now, and watches me intead of flying away like some of the other birds.

Deb

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

So sorry about the doubles!!!....just got DSL hooked up after years of dial up. Guess it was faster than I thought!!!
Deb, 'your" wabbler is beautiful!

Marlton, NJ

Yes he is, great shot Deb!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks!!
Now it will be freezing and raining this weekend, wonder where she will go to keep from freezing herself. If I think of anything I will let you all know.

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

I agree! I'm really enjoying all your photos! Here's a bird you don't normally see in a feeder - a robin! (can you tell its cold out? lol)

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

even this female cardinal seemed surprised.

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

then "greedy guts" showed up and that was the end of the robin feasting on raisins.

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Great shots Pixie and Lily too, very cute & funny!

This is my resident Wren who shares the worms with the Warbler... This is 5 shot movie-like sequence zoomed in from 30' away...not the clearest pictures, however.. you can see her and that very alive mealworm she is playing with pretty well...They like to play with the worm, drop it on the ground, and then look for it all over again, LOL! Now that's a disciplined hunter! She has to keep those skills polished up, even with the hand-outs.

Marlton, NJ

Wow, I've never seen my C. Wrens do that but theres usually a crowd around. He does push everything else but worms out of the dish. Today it was raisins and peanuts in the past, that made the squirrels happy.

Heres him disposing of a peanut.

This message was edited Jan 10, 2007 4:19 PM

Thumbnail by pelletory
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Oh how funny!!

North Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I just love Wrens. He is too cute and what a great photo.

Kim

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

I haven't seen one of these posted yet. It's called a "Mandarin Sky Cafe" bird feeder because it's shaped kind of like a Chinese hat. It holds six quarts of seed, and it stays dry in storms. I guess if it were suspended differently it would be more "squirrel proof", but they don't bother it too much. The bottom is threaded so you could mount it on top of a pole.
It snowed like crazy yesterday when I took this picture, but only for half an hour. Then it was as clears as can be. That's an old clothes line pole that came with the house, I haven't removed it yet. Maybe I'll just paint it.

This message was edited Jan 11, 2007 4:18 AM

Thumbnail by claypa
Marlton, NJ

Hi claypa, Very nice pic, the birds are really hanging on! I've seen this style feeder before, thanks for posting one that hadn't been shown. That weather was really something yesterday, I'm sure you had it a little worse than we did.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.