Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Cooking: Recommendation for Cooking Magazine

Communities > Forums > Cooking
bookmark
Forum: CookingReplies: 29, Views: 262
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gliz
Tyrone, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 10, 2007
12:30 PM

Post #3070516

Good Morning All,

I recently received in the mail a complimentary issue of "Cooks Illustrated" magazine. It looks interesting--more step-by-step instructional type format, with different variations for each recipe. Does anyone subscribe to this mag and if so, is it helpful? I used to subscribe to "Bon Appetite" which was fun to read and loved the photos of prepared food but with good intentions, I have a drawer full of clipped recipes that are still waiting to be prepared. Does anyone have a favorite cooking magazine? Thanks and have a great day!

Liz
plantladyhou
Katy, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 10, 2007
1:09 PM

Post #3070613

Cook's Illustrated is one of those magazines that you will keep forever and pass on to your kids/grandkids. They tell you how to do/make something and tell you why. Lots of research there. Also, products that sound good but do/do not work. Their idea of the correct sauce pan or whatever is many times too pricey for me and I have to go w/"second" best, for instance. Their recipes are right on. There is no advertising but they do use brand names of products. For my money, this is a MUST HAVE if you want to learn how to make "stuff" to eat. I heartily recommend this magazine!!!

Ann
GrammysGardenAZ
Cochise, AZ
(Zone 8b)

January 10, 2007
1:52 PM

Post #3070736

Me too!!!!
ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

January 10, 2007
2:29 PM

Post #3070846

Hi Liz, I gave up all my cooking magazine subs, I have a stack of them, Taste of Home was a favorite of mine, now I go on the internet for recipies. I print out the recipies I want to try and then I have several plastic 3 ring binders with the plastic page protectors, great way to organise you draw full of clippings too.

I do agree with the others that Cook's Illustrated is a good one to subscribe to.
Desertdenial5
Tolleson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 10, 2007
4:38 PM

Post #3071201

Cook's Illustrated is a great magazine. I usually just buy the annual book at the end of the year.
plantladyhou
Katy, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 10, 2007
5:00 PM

Post #3071271

Marieortiz, you must have a lot of patience to wait until the end of the year. I devour the magazine when it comes and reread it all the time for about a month when it goes into my bookshelf where I keep all my Cook's all in order. By the time I finish reading it for that month, I pretty much have it memorized except for exact measurements. One year I also got the annual for that past year so gave 2 of my daughters the 6 copies. We all read cook books and magazine like novels and enjoy them sometimes more than novels!

Ann
Desertdenial5
Tolleson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 10, 2007
5:42 PM

Post #3071400

I just do not have the room for the magazines so I do wait patiently for the annual but can usually borrow someone else's copy if I need too. I just like the fact that it is all neat and tidy in one place. I too read cookbooks and I treat them like novels. Whenever there is a few sparemoment I will pull them off the bokshelves and just start reading.
I
I have had to really restrain my self from buying more cookbooks because of the lack of room to put them. (Which is why I am on Dave's I have transfered some of that obsession to plants :o) ) although who knew I would stumble upon the cooing and recipe forums .
andidandi
Arlington, VA

January 10, 2007
6:24 PM

Post #3071512

I think that CI and Saveur are the best. One downside is that a paper subcription to CI does not give you web access. You have to buy that separately.

And their tv show, America's Test Kitchen is also great. If you buy the annual cookbook of recipies from a particular ATK season from them directly, you get the entire season on dvd for free. It's a great deal if you like the show. I think I paid about $30 for the latest cookbook and the dvd set together. One thing I really like about ATK and CI is that they explain why the shortcuts/substitutions are not a good idea.
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 10, 2007
7:39 PM

Post #3071748

I used to take several a month. Now I am down to just two. Cuisine at Home is my choice over Cooks Illustrated. I think the premise of the magazines is the same, but for some reason, I really like Cuisine a lot better. The issues of CI that I recieved (it's been a few years ago) were in black and white on cream color paper, Cuisine is color. Maybe CI is color now too? I've tried CI a couple times, but Cuisine (they just added the "at home" part a couple years ago) has always appealed to me more. I've made some really good things from there through the years. I really like their magazine. I have kept them all in binders (they come pre-punched) and they send out indexes so if you are looking for something it is really easy to go back years to find something. I am sorry I missed out on the first year and a half. I have considered ordering the missing issues.

One of my favorite things about the Cuisine magazine is that they will give you a recipe for, say a roast, then give you several recipes for things to do with the leftovers, and also several recipes for side dishes (even beverages to serve with it) - so you can plan several meals around that one roast. Also... if you need to buy a special ingredient - they will give you several recipes to use it in so that the remaining amount of the item does not go to waste. For example.. if you need a can of coconut milk for a pie, there might be a recipe for shrimp that will need coconut milk.
http://www.cuisinemag.com/main/sampleIssue.php

I also subscribe to Saveur. I once heard Tony Bourdain say that Saveur and Gourmet were two magazines worth subscribing to. I love the photos, but I don't think I have made more than 10 recipes from it in the 10 years I have subscribed. Since so many of the recipes are from other countries, the ingredients can be hard to come by. I love reading about the foods in other cultures and the other places in the world. I like this magazine so much, my subscription runs out in May 2017. LOL... when I get a renewal notice, if I can afford it, I send it in. I figure it costs less to renew now than it will in 10 years. I called them one time to double check that I could do this, and that my label was right, that my subscription really did run out in 2010 or when ever it was at the time.. they said yes! It was ok! Lots of people do that! LOLOL... I work in graphic design at a printing company... and I can tell you that this magazine is VERY well done ... a pleasure for the eyes.

I've subscribed to Cooking Light, Bon Appetit, Taste of Home, Quick Cooking, Gourmet, and I am sure some I am not thinking of now. Cooking Light used to be good when it first came out -- you could actually find the ingredients in a normal grocery. When I quit subscribing was when it seemed you had to go to mail order sources or specialty stores for something in every recipe. Same with Bon Appetit. That is just not for me. I did like Taste of Home, but that whole line of magazines has gone through a "new look" that I don't care for. I transfered my remaining issues over to my Country Woman subscription, and I think I am going to cancel CW now. I've been a subscriber for a LONG time, but I just don't like the new look. It seems like it's 90% pictures and nothing else. I subscribed to Taste of Home from it's inception until about 4-5 months ago when they changed the look of it. I have subscribed for so long, I wasn't really trying any recipes from there anymore. Everything was pretty much looking the same to me.
Desertdenial5
Tolleson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 10, 2007
8:18 PM

Post #3071868

I forgot I have all the annuals to Cusine at home. You are corect it is also a very good magazine and in some ways maybe even better than CI. My friend who is culinary school trained get CAH and while visiting her I happened upon her copies of this magazine and like it so much I just orded all the annuals. Last year they sent me the annual at no charge I may have to order this years and then maybe subscribe to them since they do come ready to put in a 3 ring binder.

I also receive Savuer but I never really make much from it. I just enjoy reading about foods from different countries.
I could very easily eat my way around the world. :o)
gliz
Tyrone, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 10, 2007
8:59 PM

Post #3071965

Ann, I love your description of "devoring" your CI magazine - LOL. Very appropriate choice of words. I finally got a free moment to look at Cooks Illustrated more closely and I am very impressed. The quick tips, notes from readers and beautiful illustrations make this a subscription I must have.
Daylily, thanks for sharing your cooking mags experiences. Why do the magazine execs think that changing a format is a good thing? If it ain't broke... I need to check out Cuisine Magazine.
L
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

January 16, 2007
12:20 PM

Post #3089036

Lady,

I love your idea for recipe keeping...was hoping to convert my index card method to that one of these days.

Glad someone mentioned that Cooks Illustrated. When I married I wanted to learn how to cook and thus devoured the cookbooks and cooking magazines of libraries in 3 states but never did see the Cooks Ills. Thanks for the info!
Desertdenial5
Tolleson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 16, 2007
5:08 PM

Post #3089910

glitx I just received another free copy of Cuisine Magazine d- mail me your address and I will send it out to you.if you have not already checked it out.
Lenjo
Mount Angel, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 16, 2007
5:57 PM

Post #3090108

I love Cooks Illustrated, especially if you want to know the "science" behind cooking. I have gotten Taste of Home in the past and have kept all my old issues as their recipes are simple more everyday common ingredients.

I also find myself using Cooks.com as website reference. You can find most anything. Infact I am heading there after this looking for a recipe for mushroom soup. My daughter gave me a couple of portobellos to use and so I thought a good soup on this snowy Oregon day sounded great for lunch.
gliz
Tyrone, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 17, 2007
12:04 PM

Post #3092561

Marie, you won't believe it but in yesterday's mail I received a free copy of Cusine Mag - LOL. What a coincidence! . I guess I am on a mailing list for cooking sites or something. I haven't subscribed to a cooking mag in years. I have ordered from Williams Sonoma and Sur La Table in the past but I thought that sharing customer lists was forbidden. Don't really mind though - getting these magazines is very welcome.
Desertdenial5
Tolleson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2007
3:25 PM

Post #3093171

How funny probably the same one I have then. If anyone want to try this magazine and has not got a free copy I received 2 of them.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

January 18, 2007
2:27 AM

Post #3095384

I have subscribed to many cooking magazines, especially, Gourmet and Bon Appetit, and I buy magazines on the newstand from time to time. I keep them and never cook much out of them, unfortunately. I have been cutting them up and pasting the recipes in binders, but now I have about a dozen binders and many more magazines to cut up. I still use my notebooks, but I am more likely to use my cookbooks and the internet.
I use epicurious and many, many web sites for cooking. I just do a google search on "meat loaf" or whatever and look at all the recipes that come up.
I have a Mastercook database of my favorite recipes, typed in, and the ones that seem most promising to try. I also started my own database using Microsoft Access, where I enter the recipes from my jillions of cookbooks. So if I need a new recipe I 1) go to the internet. 2) Go to my own database ( up to about 1600 recipes now and searchable by title, ingredient or category) . Then I go to Mastercook and then to my 12 vol. of pasted recipes in notebooks.
I just don't have room for any more magazines and it is hard to find things in old magazines. Each has its own index if you are willing to search them one by one.
As for one of the magazines I still love, Tauton's Fine Cooking and Eating Well. I do like all the others as well Gourmet, Bon Appetit, Food and Wine, Cooks Illustrated and Saveur. But I have too many and just don't find them very convenient for finding something to cook for dinner.
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

January 18, 2007
3:01 AM

Post #3095506

I love the Gourmet, Bon Appetit and I think it's called Southern Living...often many good recipes in there to.

I like that Taste of Home publications have the postcard insert each issue to send a copy of the magazine free to a couple friends. I've NEVER heard from anyone I had one sent to that they received it though? Has anyone else sent out issues to friends?

I waited til Christmas this time to renew and it was the lowest price of the year...10 bucks for 6 bi-monthly issues. Can't beat that!
goldfinch4
Ripon, WI
(Zone 4a)

January 19, 2007
11:43 AM

Post #3099389

Tir-Na-Nog, my mother got a free subscription of Taste of Home for anyone else if she renewed her own. She had it sent to my daughter and I know my daughter does get it.

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 19, 2007
8:18 PM

Post #3100910

I have heard so much about CI that I am going to try it. However, at my age, I have collected so many recipes that I'm very interested in more. I subscribe to Southern Living and they include some really excellent recipes so I clip a few of them. I got a laminator for Christmas so I am rewriting and laminating my favorites and throwing out others. Time to clean house!
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

January 19, 2007
9:02 PM

Post #3101049

There are more than 22,000 recipes from Gourmet, Bon Appetit, Self and many other magazines, all searchable on http://www.epicurious.com/. And most of them are rated by people who have tried them. And if that isn't enough you can search the internet with Google or some other search engine. It is unbelievable how many good recipes you can fine.
I still buy cookbooks, but only ones that have a slant I can't find anywhere else.
addicted2plants
Saint Louis, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 11, 2007
4:48 PM

Post #3178196

I actually got one of their cookbooks first...I think it was "The Best of" one. After making a whole Thanksgiving dinner from it, I ordered the magazine. After a year of loving the magazine I checked out the website. I've had their paid website subscription for 6 months and it has been amazing! In addtion to using it for recipes, I LOVE the areas of the website that are reviews/rec. for appliances/kitchen gadgets and also a section that has done taste testing comparisons, ex: balsalmic vinegar or sun dried tomatoes packed in oil. They also explain the testing process similiar to how they explain their process they arrive at their final recipe. They've definately saved me time and money (surprisingly the best tasting is NOT always the most expensive). I'm sure it has saved me more money than the subscription price.
andidandi
Arlington, VA

February 11, 2007
7:03 PM

Post #3178686

Those of you who like CI may also like this free website. He uses a lot of the same methods:

http://www.cookingforengineers.com
lupe1000
Eugene, OR

August 4, 2007
7:47 PM

Post #3817474

Accessing a website isn't always as fun as thumbing through a magazine, but when this is also a good web resource when you are looking for a recipe: myrecipes.com.

It collects recipes from these magazines:

* Cooking Light
* Coastal Living
* Cottage Living
* Health
* Southern Accents
* Southern Living
* Sunset

I guess they must all by owned by the same company or something.
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

October 3, 2007
6:49 PM

Post #4045081

Okay, I bit. I just ordered CI, and the 1st one should reach my house just after Christmas.
plutodrive
Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

October 4, 2007
12:17 AM

Post #4046126

I really enjoy Fine Cooking. It is about fresh food. Not too gourmet for the everyday cook. Fine Cooking puts out some Best Of issues every now and then. I wait for them to come out instead of subscribing. Magazine subscriptions are too expensive for me right now. They also put out Fine Gardening. I recommend that one too. Cooks Illustrated, Cuisine At Home and Bon Appetit are good too. Magazines are very addicting.
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

October 4, 2007
4:57 PM

Post #4048381

Yes, at times I've been 'magazine poor'. I find I have more magazines than I have time. I already subscribe to Taste of Home. Once you subscribe to ToH, they worry you to death with 'opportunities' to subscribe to their sister magazines...

Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

October 8, 2007
12:39 AM

Post #4059055

lol flowr, so true!
bluekat76
Ijamsville, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 15, 2007
11:39 AM

Post #4084460

It seems like I have subscribed to them all at some point in time but my favorites are Cuisine at Home and Fine Cooking. They both concentrate on cooking and technique not traveling or remodeling or...

That said I go to the internet first to look for a recipe and I usually start with Epicurious.com because there are reviews and tips from people who have made the recipe. I am thinking about just getting online subscriptions and saving all that paper. Thanks for the tip about myrecipes Lupe.

-Kim
Scallionboy
New York, NY

October 20, 2007
1:14 AM

Post #4102651

This is, I rush to admit, somewhat self-serving, but the very best cooking magazine is Art Culinaire, and it just so happens that I'll be selling about 40 volumes of it on eBay starting next week. They're hardbound and gorgeous, and miles above any of the others (with the possible exception of Food Arts, which you can only get if you're in the business).

Art Culinaire is in a class by itself. That being said, Cook's is an excellent publication. So is Saveur. I haven't read Gourmet in years, but it's always maintained a high standard.

The problem I have with most of the others is that, frequently, the recipes are of poor quality. They either don't work, or they're just minor variations on established recipes, changed just enough to avoid the copyright laws.

Bill

Thumbnail by Scallionboy
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cooking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cooking Questions Answered MistyMeadows 385 Dec 3, 2009 5:25 AM
Classic Cooking Answers`& Advice TwinLakesChef 8 Mar 9, 2010 4:23 PM
Memorable kitchen mishaps McCool 81 Jul 25, 2007 4:28 AM
Kraft Food's "Food & Family" magazine... WUVIE 20 Apr 2, 2009 3:09 PM
Wanted: No Fail Sponge Recipe leelovespigs 45 Dec 2, 2009 6:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America