Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Bird Identification: CLOSED: What WAS this?

Communities > Forums > Bird Identification
bookmark
Forum: Bird IdentificationReplies: 4, Views: 61
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
luna_baby
On the banks of the , VA
(Zone 7a)

January 10, 2007
3:12 PM

Post #3070947

This morning I pulled in the driveway and stopped, to get something lying in the road. When I got out, a BIG gray bird with a red...and I mean BRIGHT RED...ring around it's neck flew away from a tree next to the car. It happened so fast that's all I saw...big, grey, RED ring, possibly some white around the red.

I live in Virginia and the end of the driveway is next to quite a big stream. Any ideas what this might have been? I'd love to find out if it might be camping out down there, I will stalk it with my camera.

I know, it's not much to go on. I'm sorry.
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

January 10, 2007
3:34 PM

Post #3071002

might be an escapee. Hope you can get us a pic
claypa
West Pottsgrove, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 10, 2007
3:41 PM

Post #3071028

I wonder if it might have been a pheasant. They don't have a red ring on their neck, but a white one, and bright red on their head. . .? How big would you say it was ? I never saw one in a tree, though.
luna_baby
On the banks of the , VA
(Zone 7a)

January 10, 2007
4:15 PM

Post #3071122

It was so big I thought it was a duck when I saw it flying away.

I just saw it again, but again it moved as soon as I stopped the car... and now I think it might be some kind of woodpecker.

I am going to walk down there without the dogs or car or kids and see what I can see later this afternoon when my ex drops by, so he can watch the kids for me. It was in the same tree so I am holding out some hope. We'll see. : )

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

January 10, 2007
5:22 PM

Post #3071353

Could it have been a bird wearing a numbered neck collar for migration studies?

Like this Canada Goose:
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/ws/nwrc/gfx/Warren%20Park%20Canada%20Goose%20with%20Neck%20Collar_wr.jpg

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
CLOSED: can anybody ID this bird (#2) lilyfantn 15 Dec 12, 2009 2:52 AM
CLOSED: What is this? konkreteblond 23 Jan 18, 2008 1:39 PM
CLOSED: Need confirm on ID pelletory 12 Mar 10, 2007 9:25 PM
CLOSED: Is this? Marilyn_FL 16 Jul 3, 2009 9:15 PM
CLOSED: This was in a field across from my house in north Jersey ago wilkins2 2 Mar 11, 2007 12:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America