-
AuthorContent

TexasPuddyPrint

TexasPuddyPrint
Edinburg, TX

January 15, 2007
12:06 AM

Post #3084495

Have seen a few requests for photos of arches and trellises over the years. I figured I might as well make a post to show photos of the ones I have made out of livestock fence panels. The livestock fence panels are used by ranchers out here for holding pens and corrals. They are easily welded on to pipe frames and are extremely sturdy. I remember we had a 2000 pound bull attempt to jump over a six foot tall corral one year. He couldn't get his fat butt over the pipe framework and ended up getting a leg caught up in the panel. We had to quickly grab the bolt cutters to set him free before he got hurt or broke his leg. The panel wires bent a little but didn't budge much. Scary!!!

Okay, the fence panels are made of galvanize steel...they won't fall apart or rust!!! I buy mine at McCoy's but figure if ya'll have a home improvement or ranch supply store they'd probably have them there too. They cost about $16 each and they are 52 inches wide by 16 feet long. I love using them!!!

I use bolt cutters to clip them into three long strips that are 16 feet long and about 18 inches wide to make simple arches. I clip the bottom rung from each end and push the 6 inch or so prongs that remain into the ground to stabilize the arch.

Other times I have my brother weld triangular obelisks of various heights for me. Again, I clip the bottom rung and push the remaining prongs into the ground to hold the obelisk in place.

You can use a dremmel tool with a cut-off wheel to cut the wire but it is 1/4" thick and it's a slow process. Bolt cutters are so much quicker.

I still have plans to make other shapes and designs but haven't gotten around to it. Would love to use panels with smaller blocks and cut out a heart or star design to hang from a tree. Of course, a box or platform to hold a potted plant would be welded onto it or sandwiched between two panels so I could have a vine growing all over it.

~ Cat

Am going to post a bunch of photos I have...and hope others that have used livestock fence panels will post their photos too.

Here's a photo of what the 16 foot long by 52 inch wide livestock fence panel looks like.

TexasPuddyPrint

TexasPuddyPrint
Edinburg, TX

January 15, 2007
12:10 AM

Post #3084508

A simple arch...before...

TexasPuddyPrint

TexasPuddyPrint
Edinburg, TX

January 15, 2007
12:17 AM

Post #3084543

and after...

TexasPuddyPrint

TexasPuddyPrint
Edinburg, TX

January 15, 2007
12:18 AM

Post #3084546

The stairway trellis arch

TexasPuddyPrint

TexasPuddyPrint
Edinburg, TX

January 15, 2007
12:23 AM

Post #3084566

stairway trellis with passiflora vine (there is a small triangular obelisk in the center of this photo holding up a rose bush).

TexasPuddyPrint

TexasPuddyPrint
Edinburg, TX

January 15, 2007
12:27 AM

Post #3084582

A simple arch over my front walkway with passiflora growing on it too. There is also a straight panel along the length of my walkway that I put in place to divide the front flowerbed from the walkway. I recently put another passiflora there and will let it cover that panel.

TexasPuddyPrint

TexasPuddyPrint
Edinburg, TX

January 15, 2007
12:29 AM

Post #3084588

another arch with a back support...before...

TexasPuddyPrint

TexasPuddyPrint
Edinburg, TX

January 15, 2007
12:35 AM

Post #3084602

arch with back support...after...with dutchman's pipe (aristolochia elegans) growing on it.

TexasPuddyPrint

TexasPuddyPrint
Edinburg, TX

January 15, 2007
12:45 AM

Post #3084633

another simple flat topped arch trellis with Mexican Flame Vine starting to cover it.
BlueGlancer
South/Central, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 15, 2007
12:48 AM

Post #3084641

Wow, I like those. Good job. : )
~Lucy

TexasPuddyPrint

TexasPuddyPrint
Edinburg, TX

January 15, 2007
12:51 AM

Post #3084653

...and lastly a view of my east wall with a variety of trellises and vines growing on them.

This message was edited Jan 14, 2007 7:52 PM

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 15, 2007
1:01 AM

Post #3084689

Very nice Cat, I really like what you have done with those arches.
Josephine.
dmj1218
west Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 15, 2007
1:06 AM

Post #3084706

Very creative too! You should send those pics in to the state ag website to show creative uses for extra supplies. =)
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 15, 2007
2:21 AM

Post #3084976

I love this stuff for arches/arbors, too. I got the idea several years ago from the Antique Rose Emporium (ARE) - I love stealing their ideas, lol (they are also who I got my short, purple fence idea from.)

Here is an arbor with bench seating, at the ARE:
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 15, 2007
2:23 AM

Post #3084990

The original arch that I fell in love with, and the adjoining purple fence I fell in love with. :-)

TexasPuddyPrint

TexasPuddyPrint
Edinburg, TX

January 15, 2007
2:27 AM

Post #3085011

WOW Maggiemoo!!! I like that wood framed arch. Way cool with that bench :o) Gotta love that purple fence ey!!! I really like the way the wood frame defines the trellis. Hmmm...can ya'll hear my brain cells tinkering? :o)

~ Cat
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 15, 2007
2:35 AM

Post #3085039

Lol! For sure! When you're at the ARE, you can practically hear everyone else's, too!
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 15, 2007
2:51 AM

Post #3085097

Awesome idea for the livestock fence panels. Love what you have done, Cat! Thanks for sharing all the trellis and arches. I, too, am a vine lover! Now my mind is ticking away... lol!

Maggie - Love that arch with the bench, too! What a neat idea! That purple fence is unexpectedly perfect for the gardens. Who'd have ever thought purple would be a good garden fence color????!!! lol
Mahnot
DFW area, TX
(Zone 7b)

January 15, 2007
9:20 AM

Post #3085527

How clever is that ! Beautifully done, Cat.

I own a pair of bolt cutters, can you lend your brother, LOL.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 15, 2007
5:54 PM

Post #3086622

Need to check out the local Tractor Supply for that. Thanks!

TexasPuddyPrint

TexasPuddyPrint
Edinburg, TX

January 15, 2007
11:30 PM

Post #3087663

Too funny Mahnot!!!

Here's another photo from several years ago - it's part of a tall obelisk (well, you can't see it beneath the vines - but this one was 8 ft tall and I had a single Japanese Morning Glory - Henka Asagao Blue Blizzard - growing in the middle of it.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 16, 2007
2:41 PM

Post #3089369

Thank you very much for sharing. As soon as the ice melts I will have DH going to Tractor Supply. It is wonderful what a creative mind can do.

Christi
fly_girl
The Woodlands, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 16, 2007
11:22 PM

Post #3091042

They look great TPP, I really like the obelisk, how did you do that one?

TexasPuddyPrint

TexasPuddyPrint
Edinburg, TX

January 17, 2007
1:48 AM

Post #3091545

Fly...

I used bolt cutters to cut a strip six squares wide (about 3 feet) and the length of the panel (16 feet). I then laid that on the ground and bent over the panel along the second square wire. Then I bent over the other side along the second square wire too...so it formed a loosely bent triangle. I then laid it on the ground with the 'open sides' up and held it in place as my brother tack welded the two open sides together. I then cut the 16 foot section in half - more or less to form two 8 foot obelisks. You could pretty much make an obelisk taller...but for stability you'd probably have to make each side wider and stake it into the ground with rebar.

If you don't have anyone who can tack weld the piece together to form a triangle I am sure sturdy sections of wire can be wrapped around the two pieces at various intervals to bind them together. Those plastic cuff-ties should work well too. Just use several along the length of the piece.

Here's a photo of a smaller obelisk - I use this type on my trailing rose bushes to keep the bottom half of the bush in check. The rose bush branches grow up and out from the top and I'm able to mow and do yard work without getting caught up in thorns.

You can also see where I clipped a rung and left prongs that I can push into the ground to stabilize the obelisk.
~ Cat

TexasPuddyPrint

TexasPuddyPrint
Edinburg, TX

January 17, 2007
1:53 AM

Post #3091570

Here's a view from the top.

~ Cat
fly_girl
The Woodlands, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 17, 2007
2:11 AM

Post #3091632

Thanks TPP, I may try that, I don't have anyone to tack weld it. Someday I would like to learn how to weld, but until then I could tie it together with wire. Great idea, and it seems like it would be very sturdy. Most obelisks that I've seen for sale are under 8' and I've never seen a vine that is less than that, most are much taller.

TexasPuddyPrint

TexasPuddyPrint
Edinburg, TX

January 17, 2007
2:22 AM

Post #3091661

Well ya know...at $16 a panel they are very economical and you can make several from one panel. Just need to put in a little effort as far as using bolt cutters to clip the wire and then bending it into the triangle. Really can't go wrong for the price. Again, the panels are galvanized steel so they won't rust and fall apart. I love using them!!!

~ Cat
bananna18
Colleyville, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 17, 2007
2:46 AM

Post #3091786

The fence panels are a great idea. I have lots of ugly fence and some walls that will look alot better this summer. Thanks for sharing.
fly_girl
The Woodlands, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 17, 2007
4:08 PM

Post #3093301

I found this great idea in an old copy of Garden Ideas and Outdoor Living, 8/06. She takes a piece of fencing and makes a pot for the top of a big stump. Now, I wish I had a big stump, I know, what a crazy thing to wish for...people pay good money to get rid of them lol.
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 17, 2007
4:25 PM

Post #3093361

lemons... lemonade...
Mahnot
DFW area, TX
(Zone 7b)

January 17, 2007
6:09 PM

Post #3093688

Ooooh, Ms Fly, I like that ! Hmmmm - there's a huge mulberry
tree that had better start behaving, LOL, or I will go out there
and show him this picture.

TexasPuddyPrint

TexasPuddyPrint
Edinburg, TX

January 17, 2007
11:12 PM

Post #3094690

Wow Fly...good photo. I like that...but alas...no tree trunks here.

~ Cat
debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 2, 2007
12:14 AM

Post #3453644

Nice job Cat!! My DS had a roll of something like that, but I had now way of carrying it home from Justin.. I would need a lot of help working with that fence material to fit it into my jigsaw puzzel garden. Would have to cut them first and then bring them home. I love the vines so much, always have. I will eventually need a way to grow some new ones I have this year...yes more!! Ya can't have too many of certain vines. These ideas will help me a lot!
The obelisk ya have there would be great in a square shape to stick inside the perimeter of a 1.5-2cf capacity square pot. It hardly pays to buy some fancy tutuer that will be totally covered up, LOL!

Haha I hear Anita making up reasons to chop those Mulberries,,,lol!!
Roxanne, great idea too! I was thinking on making a little well over one and planting some things in it.. Will have to wait for help on that one too. Thanks for steering me over here Becky:-)

collincountytx
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 2, 2007
11:34 AM

Post #3454786

I've attached a photo of a trellis I made out of plastic coated metal closet organizers. You can buy these at HDepot/Lowes/Wmart/etc. They come in 1.5ft X 12ft, 1.5ft X 8ft, 1ftX8ft.

I bought three 1.5ft X8 ft organizers, spray painted them black, and posted them in some quickrete (just like a fence post). I then anchored them to the wall with some masonary nails and black plastic ties. I used the same black plastic ties to support them together. I liked this method because it doesn't involve any welding. The organizers cost about $9 each.

-Richard
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 2, 2007
8:47 PM

Post #3456764

that is a great idea, richard and everyone!!!!

Will these not work????? I have the posts on two sides of a big barn? This is a new project for me...growing MGs that is...
do I have to have chicken wire or something wrapped around each one??

edited to say I think I can find those oblisqes (spelling????

This message was edited May 2, 2007 7:49 PM

TexasPuddyPrint

TexasPuddyPrint
Edinburg, TX

May 2, 2007
10:15 PM

Post #3457166

Gail,

Are those gate I see in the background? If they aren't being used how about bracing them upright between the posts...or span chicken wire betwen the posts and plant morning glories along the length. You'd have a wall or vines that provides more shade and a tunnel of sorts :o)

If you get brave you can also lay chicken wire on top of the barn and get some morning glory vines to cover it. A farmer back at the ranch had those wooden lattice boards on top of a tool shed roof and the wood worked quite well as keeping his wisteria vine from getting scorched by the tin roof.

~ Cat
EFGeorgia1
Lizella, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 2, 2007
10:17 PM

Post #3457175

Oh,,, my, now I know what to do with a lot of pine stumps from tornado .. besides growing all kinds of vines on them..
thanks for the ideas,
Elaine
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 3, 2007
8:39 AM

Post #3458191

thanks so much, Cat!!! I haven't started mine, but this old barn has these things on both sides of it...spanning chicken wire sounds great!!!
gail
debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 3, 2007
8:42 AM

Post #3458205

It's gonna be gorgeous gail!! I love MGs!!

:-D
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 3, 2007
8:43 AM

Post #3458211

I am extremely nervous...I have seeds from Ron!!!!! Yikes!!!
Dutch456
New Braunfels, TX
(Zone 9b)

May 3, 2007
10:36 AM

Post #3458646

Great Idea!! I use panels also for vines --- but hadn't considered obelisk - was just looking at boganvillas and put on shopping list some sort of trellis but think I'll get another panel & see what my pea brain and the black spray paint can come up with.. have thought of using small cedar posts along with panels (we have lots of cedar on property). I have a trellis we made of cedar for grape vines - looks really cool even in dead of winter. dutch
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 3, 2007
10:44 AM

Post #3458680

What a wonderful thread with such great ideas. Thank you so much.

Love the arch made of the fencing TPP and the article on the stump couldn't have come at a better time, flygirl! I had thoughts of planting it but now it will be a feature.
fly_girl
The Woodlands, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 3, 2007
10:59 AM

Post #3458737

pirl, that's a great looking stump! If you want the directions, I can scan and email them to you. LMK.

Richard, what a good idea...to use closet shelves.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 3, 2007
12:16 PM

Post #3458947

I'll Dmail you. Thanks so much!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 4, 2008
3:08 PM

Post #4621117

Bump!

Does anyone have pictures of how to make a PORTABLE tomato cage out of the cattle panels? One that could come down at the end of the season? also, I'm thinking the 3-sided obelisks would make great trellisses over my 5-gallon tomato buckets! Could ya'll post some close-up pics and show an eager girl how to lash the sides of an obelisk or a cage together so she does NOT have to ask her DH to participate in this project? HURRY, PLEASE!
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 4, 2008
6:01 PM

Post #4621829

Gym, instead of welding, I don't see why you couldn't wire the panels together then you could us wire cutters in the Fall to break them down.

I'm glad you bumped this up. Here is a trellis we made with panels/wood posts last year. It will take a few years before I have a nice "after" photo. There are 6 pink roses planted at the base and I hope the wood will turn a nice silver and the copper tops will oxidize with time.

I also have a tree stump that will hopefully get planted with a fairy garden on top this year. I just love all the ideas here!
shuggins
Houston, TX
(Zone 9b)

March 4, 2008
6:23 PM

Post #4621897

That is a great looking trellis!
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

March 4, 2008
6:34 PM

Post #4621932

Sure is. Where did you find the copper tops?
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 4, 2008
7:32 PM

Post #4622127

Thank you, both! I found the toppers on ebay by searching for "copper fence caps". They also make flat caps that will eventually go on the center posts. I'm wanting the roses to hide the center posts and may need to cut them down some before capping them, but the flat caps can be found at Home Depot.

Last year we worked all summer on building a lot of structures for climbing roses. The rains really slowed us down and we still have some work ahead to finish them. Unlike this structure the rest are all wood, but if you would like to see them, here is the link. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/786758/

TexasPuddyPrint

TexasPuddyPrint
Edinburg, TX

March 4, 2008
8:22 PM

Post #4622288

Whoa...had forgotten all about this thread :o) Glad to see it is still getting used. Here's a photo of four tall obelisk trellises made out of a livestock fence panels. They are 8 feet tall. My brother clipped each panel in half lengthwise then bent over the frames to form a triangle. I was able to get two trellis out of each 48" x 16 foot panel.

The shorter obelisks are shown up near the top of this thread...or you can click here for a refresher. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=3091545

~ Cat
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 5, 2008
12:33 PM

Post #4624828

No trellis ideas here but I have put together a plant shelter from these and am now doing an outside yard fence.

To attach the cut pieces, I use hog rings. You can pick up a pair of hog ring pliers and boxes of rings at a feed or hardware store. They are an open U shape and the pliers will pinch them around two bars to hold them together. Believe me, it doesn't take much skill, muscle or money... 8 )) pod
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 3, 2009
7:43 PM

Post #6088515

bump
nbgard
New Braunfels, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 3, 2009
9:10 PM

Post #6088894

Thanks for bumping this thread. Great ideas!
dmj1218
west Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 3, 2009
9:43 PM

Post #6089040

I might have missed this some where, but cocoa how did you attach the wire panel to the wooden posts in the arch? and how has that method held up?
Debbie
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 3, 2009
11:44 PM

Post #6089536

He used 'U' shaped nails (if there is a name for those, I don't know what it is) they were about 1". It has held up great and would be fine for MGs, roses or jasmines. I don't know that I would trust it to big heavy vines like trumpet or wisteria.
dmj1218
west Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 3, 2009
11:50 PM

Post #6089573

'U' shaped nails is what I call them too--I thought so, but just wanted to ask. I'm just making green bean and cucumber verticals with all these almost brand new left over fence posts after Ike. Can't decide if I want to use wire panels or build something wooden--decisions, decisions.
Thanks,
Debbie
collincountytx
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 4, 2009
5:17 AM

Post #6090911

update on the metal closet organizers. Has worked better than anticipated. I planted a climbing iceberg and a Nelly Moser clematis here. The climbing iceberg has already grown to 12 feet+ and the Nelly Moser looks great contrasting with the white blooms. I will post a picture around March/April/May when it is in bloom. As you might be able to tell from picture, it is a 50% sun 50% shade spot in a corner of the house.
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

February 4, 2009
12:00 PM

Post #6091307

Staples. They come in all sizes. The ones for fencing would work fine.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

February 4, 2009
3:12 PM

Post #6091901

Yeah, u-shaped STAPLES.

We bought them at the hardware store for a penny a pound when I was young and shooting homemade slingshots. It had a barb on the ends and would tear up your index finger joint if you didn't hold it just right before you let it go in the rubberband holster.

I was an excellent marksperson -- still am. Different vehicle, though...
blkraven2
Wells, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 5, 2009
4:09 AM

Post #6095181

gym girl you could use zip ties to hold the sides together then just snip them to take it apart
gretagreenthumb
Wichita Falls, TX

February 6, 2009
11:02 PM

Post #6103299

Wow! Great ideas. We are buying a house, in the country, but previous owners gave it a city backyard, privacy fence and all. There is a pool in the back yard that will need security and some privacy. I am not crazy about my back yard being sectioned off with a privacy fence. Maybe cattle fence around the whole pool, landscaped with various plants and each side of the pool, towards the neighbors, covered with morning glory would be perfect. I like it! Oh, could this draw too many bees searching for nectar and finding me or the kids as they steal a sip of water.

Ideas! Now you have me thinking!
PerryPost
Minneapolis, MN

March 1, 2009
1:37 AM

Post #6204332

Love that stump basket! Now we have an answer for what to do with that stump at my mom's place. :-)
aswan01
Cleveland, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 2, 2009
8:17 AM

Post #6209788

TPP or anyone that has used the livestock panels to make square or triangle trellises - How did you bend the panel? I have some out at my barn, but they are pretty darn thick and sturdy. I don't think I can get them bent even using a 2x4 on the ground. That's what I use on smaller wire when I'm building cages, but it won't work with these big ole panels.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 2, 2009
4:21 PM

Post #6211079

I figured I would have to use the bolt cutters and then wire them back together at the sides. I can't see me being able to bend them either. But I also would be interested in how others did it.

TexasPuddyPrint

TexasPuddyPrint
Edinburg, TX

March 2, 2009
6:08 PM

Post #6211524

aswan...the panels I used are about 1/4" wire. I used bolt cutters to cut them into the size I wanted them then I laid the piece on the ground and stood on the panel while my brother pushed from the other side and we bent them over. He then tack welded the two sides together.

Bolt cutters and wire will work too.

~ Cat
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 4, 2009
3:06 PM

Post #6220115

Lots of great ideas here. Thanks.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 4, 2009
7:45 PM

Post #6221252

I can't believe I went to Tractor Supply yesterday and didn't get the fencing!!! They don't have one real close I had to go to Burleson which isn't far, but still flustrating that I forgot it.
texasrockgarden
Canyon Lake, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 4, 2009
9:03 PM

Post #6221505

The picture show what I did before I quit gardening about 10 years ago. I grew tomatoes in the middle of two cattle panels supported by T-posts. As the tomatoes grew upward cross pieces of rebar or bamboo were inserted to guide the vines upward.

I took the photo in the next post yesterday that shows the panels removed and the ground tilled. This year is my first year getting back into gardening. I am playing with growing in straw bales, raised beds, and 5-gal grow bags (filled with coir).

The 5-gal grow bags will be on ground cloth positioned between the cattle panels and the vines will be supported same as before.

The parallel cattle panels is a system that worked well me so no reason to not use it again. It really is a lazy man's way to trellis tomatoes. No strings, no clips, no tying, no stakes, nothing. Once the vines start to fall over all that is necessary is to check them every day or two and insert a stick or something through the squares in the panels and let the vines rest on it.

Jerry
texasrockgarden
Canyon Lake, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 4, 2009
9:05 PM

Post #6221510

Another...this system will support 15 tomato plants. There will be two like this one this year four feet apart.

This message was edited Mar 4, 2009 3:08 PM

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 4, 2009
10:24 PM

Post #6221762

I just saw where you posted those on another thread, pretty easy and worked quite well too.

TexasPuddyPrint

TexasPuddyPrint
Edinburg, TX

March 5, 2009
2:42 AM

Post #6223025

Sheila...and I thought I was forgetful! However, am glad they final built a tractor supply store in my town...it's on my way out to the ranch which makes it so much easier and closer than having to drive 35 miles to get to the closest TSS!

Jerry...wonderful idea!!!

I leaned a fence panel against a pony tail palm and sort of forgot about it...before I knew it my yellow morning glory vines has reached over from their trellis and covered the pony tail palm and my fence panel! It hurt to have to cut back the morning glory vine to remove the fence panel but after putting it off for too long it had to be done :o)

There is a fence panel underneath that tangle of vines :o)

~ Cat

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 5, 2009
2:53 AM

Post #6223069

Looks like a job for Edward Scissorhands!!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 10, 2009
5:39 PM

Post #6247565

Sweet!
dmj1218
west Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 10, 2009
10:18 PM

Post #6248665

cocoa--what's the approximate distance between those posts on the inside of the arch? Pictures can be deceiving on guessing

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 10, 2009
11:28 PM

Post #6248990

Well I finally got to HD and bought a fencing panel. I looked at Tractor Supply and since DH has had recent surgery and would not be able to help, I opted for a lighter weight one. Three panels will give me two triangular trellis'. If they don't hold up then I will rethink the plan.
Texasgrower
Palestine, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 11, 2009
12:14 AM

Post #6249222

Take a pic and show us when you get it up.
texasrockgarden
Canyon Lake, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 11, 2009
12:41 AM

Post #6249345

Just finished this for the tomatoes a little while ago...16' panels.
texasrockgarden
Canyon Lake, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 11, 2009
12:42 AM

Post #6249347

another
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 11, 2009
1:30 AM

Post #6249647

I have just enough room to duplicate this in my backyard. What day could you come and bring the plantlings? hahahaha

That is a perfect setup. I still haven't decided what kind of tomatoes would grow best here in Dallas.

Cajun2

Cajun2
(Carole) Cleveland, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 11, 2009
2:41 AM

Post #6249990

Wow! You guys are so creative! I love making things work to save money here and there. It's so cool when it works too! Thanks so much for all the great ideas!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 11, 2009
1:49 PM

Post #6251116

TRock,
That is absolutely FABULOUS! It is so neat, and actually does not impede on the yard view (until the vines grow up, and fill the panels). But, it is so neat. So, basically, you poured the concrete pad, set in the tposts and slipped the cattle panels on the "hooks" on the tposts?

Could you post a few close ups of the panels on the Tposts, and the tposts in the concrete? Thanks!

Linda
texasrockgarden
Canyon Lake, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 11, 2009
2:40 PM

Post #6251297

Linda,

I didn't want something as permanent as concrete in this part of the garden. The T-posts are driven into the ground thru ground cloth/weed barrier. At some later date I may need to lay mulch down on the ground cloth for durability.

The 1/4" wire panels are held to the posts with the normal t-post clips used to attach barbed wire, two clips per post.

As this is my first year growing in bags, if heat becomes a problem for the plant's roots, the base of the cages will be boxed in with corrugated tin and filled with straw. This is a work in progress.

I have used this cage setup in the past for tomatoes growing in the ground and it worked well.

Jerry
Smockette
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 11, 2009
4:59 PM

Post #6251887

Since I just bought 10 panels for 40' more of GH, I was wondering what the cost of ya'll's are. They have gone fr $16 to $29 @ here. I almost passed out when they told me how much 10 would be...$299!!!!! OUCH especially since I'm unemployed right now & watch my pennies very closely!!!
texasrockgarden
Canyon Lake, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 11, 2009
5:59 PM

Post #6252138

I bought mine back in the early 80's. Seems like they were less than a $1 a foot though. I've still got two left that may get used for upright cukes and cantaloupes.

I would be hard pressed to afford $30 a piece. Wow!
dmj1218
west Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 11, 2009
6:16 PM

Post #6252199

they have gone up (along with anything metal) because of the massive upswing in the chinese economy requiring lots of metal--of course now that their economy is crashing and burning, I still wouldn't look for the price to go down

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 11, 2009
8:07 PM

Post #6252617

TRock, Panels are not permanently placed. Even BETTER! Didn't wanna have to learn how to level and pour a slab to do this!

Thanks!

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 11, 2009
11:33 PM

Post #6253447

TRock ...make sure you let us know how the bags are doing in the hot weather! The whole set up is perfect. That could be done in anyones yard.
Smockette...I was just at TSC and priced them here and they were $29 also. I got some lighter weight ones at HD for $19 that are 3.5' x 7'. But I am only going to have clematis and morning glories on them.
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 13, 2009
2:10 PM

Post #6260790

We found ours for 19 ea. then lucked out, a friend sold us some extra for what he paid for them...11 a panel.

Deb, I got some close up pics of the post/panel connection, just waiting to get on DHs computer to post them.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 13, 2009
11:26 PM

Post #6262925

Good friend!
dmj1218
west Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 13, 2009
11:31 PM

Post #6262945

Actually, I don't need a picture just the approximate distance between the posts as you walk under them
=)

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 14, 2009
12:17 AM

Post #6263163

I have a friend who grows her tomatoes next to a 2x4 stuck in the ground. Then, as the tomatoes grow, she ties them to the 2x4. This allows maximum sun exposure and an increased harvest.
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 14, 2009
1:38 PM

Post #6265078

Oh i see, Deb. The width is about 5 feet across and top of arch is about 7 feet tall. We didn't have much of a plan when starting. So Dh and I pulled the panel into an arch. He held it as I stood back and roughly determined what the width and height we wanted. Then the placement of the posts were decided from that measurement .

Here is the small version we put in this fall. Same distance and height, only the width of the panel was cut down to five squares.

dmj1218
west Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 14, 2009
2:04 PM

Post #6265170

that sounds good cocoa--about what I thought--also doesn't seem to stress the wire panel so it must be about the perfect distance and makes a very symmetrical arch.

thanks again Cocoa!
Debbie
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

March 14, 2009
2:11 PM

Post #6265192

Cocoa,
Love the arch .. mind if I use your idea.
Cheryl
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 14, 2009
2:30 PM

Post #6265249

Cocoa - That is awesome looking! What size posts did you use? I really like that idea!!! Thanks for sharing it! :-)
dmj1218
west Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 14, 2009
2:44 PM

Post #6265311

I'm assuming they are the regular 7' and/or 8' fence posts for wooden privacy fencing, right?
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 14, 2009
3:24 PM

Post #6265508

I guess what I am asking is what are the dimensions of the posts. Are they 4" x 4" X 8' posts or smaller like 3" x 3" x 8'?
dmj1218
west Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 14, 2009
3:38 PM

Post #6265568

4" x 4" is the fencing post size--she may be using something else

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 14, 2009
7:04 PM

Post #6266373

Well my DS was over today and I had him help cut and bend the wire for my trellis. Someone wanted a pic so here goes...
I plan on clipping the bottom two horizonal wires so I can put about a foot of it in the ground. They will still be six foot tall after that.
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 14, 2009
7:59 PM

Post #6266608

Looks great, Sheila! Do post photos when you have them in the ground and vines growing up them! I wanna see that, too! :-)

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 14, 2009
8:09 PM

Post #6266636

Well Becky, one of them will be for your special MG mix that you sent out last year, if I can find it. The other I hope to find a bright colored Clematis at the Bot Gdn Sale next weekend.
PerryPost
Minneapolis, MN

March 14, 2009
9:32 PM

Post #6267031

Love the pink and lavender chairs! My 3 year old would LOVE them.

:-)

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 14, 2009
11:29 PM

Post #6267472

We sat those outside today just to re-arrange the tool end of the shop. I had painted them in preparation for Easter. I am going to have my Great Nephew and Niece use paint to stamp them with butterflies, flowers, frog, etc; and paint their names on them. Then I will seal them and put them in place of some other chairs on my shop deck. I also bought tote bags that they can decorate and take home.
bobyrd
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 15, 2009
12:25 AM

Post #6267698

I plan to make one of these also. Today on BHG website they had an article about vines and they recommended::::::::
cup and saucer vine
scarlet runner bean vine
hyacinth bean vine
spanish flag
moonflower
cypress vine
and morning glories
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 15, 2009
12:45 AM

Post #6267769

I can vouch for MGs! One of my favorite plants species to grow! They are beautiful, but unfortunately most only bloom in the mornings and wilt by noon. Spanish Flag is a beautiful vine too! (Which is actually a morning glory vine.) Moonflower is divine and has a lovely scent but only blooms at night! (Another MG) And then there is a hummingbirds choice ... cypress vine, which is also a MG vine. :-)

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 15, 2009
1:28 AM

Post #6267966

I do have a lot of hyacinth bean seeds that I didn't plant last year. They would really fill a trellis. I had some Cypress Vine last year in with my Black eyed susan vine so maybe they dropped seeds. I have to look for the MG first though, Becky's are not the ordinary kind.

Now that I think about it, I may have planted those under a trellis that is in the shade. It will be the perfect spot for them, only gets the morning sun.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 15, 2009
2:31 AM

Post #6268349

In the last TX Gardener an article about local woman that planted her cattle panel arbor with edible beans. This made harvesting the beans easy by walking the length of the arbor and picking overhead. It is pretty also with vegies or vines.
collincountytx
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 15, 2009
8:49 AM

Post #6269264

I can vouch for MGs! One of my favorite plants species to grow! They are beautiful, but unfortunately most only bloom in the mornings and wilt by noon.

Is it time to sow MGs? I got some different varieties from a coworker and want to mix them in with mine.

I planted MGs with 4'oclocks, so you get MGs in the morning and 4'oclocks in the afternoon.

Cajun2

Cajun2
(Carole) Cleveland, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 15, 2009
12:40 PM

Post #6269686

Last year, when our Rose of Montana (aka Coral Vine) started getting big we didn't really want a trellis there, so we built our own support for it with two tomato cages. We overlapped them in the center and drove a tall plastic bamboo 'stake' thru the holes. Worked exactly how we'd hoped. The only thing that might have made it even better is if the tomato cages had been a bit taller.
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 15, 2009
1:01 PM

Post #6269772

collincountrytx - I planted seeds for my MGs yesterday in the garden. :-)

I grow many of my vines along my picket and backyard fence. I haven't tried the livestock fencing yet, which is why this thead is so awesome! It's cheaper than wooden or vinyl fencing and easy to shape and place anywhere in the yard! Love the great ideas here! Keep them coming!
dmj1218
west Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 15, 2009
1:37 PM

Post #6269920

Cajin--best break down and build that arbor for that coral vine. Mine is 40'.
Debbie
=)
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 15, 2009
3:05 PM

Post #6270257

Just a quick thought on the MG planting. Soak overnight in water and peroxide and they will sprout in the container.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 15, 2009
3:33 PM

Post #6270381

I use a 1:4 recipe for solution. 1 pt. peroxide:4 parts distilled water

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 16, 2009
2:34 PM

Post #6274911

Coco_Lulu,
I could see planting a tomato plant on the outside of one of your arch and allow it to grow up and over the top. It would actually rest on the top of the trellis. You could then stand underneath it and pick the tomatoes from the underside of the arch.

Note: This is not my origal idea, having been posted in another forum by a tomato grower. He has pics posted of several veggies growing over the tops of his arches. It certainly takes the stress off of supporting the vining plant since it rests on the trellis for its support. Now that I see your, I see how setting the maximum height to maybe 6 ft. would provide a nice height to work with a tomato plant or pole bean draping over it.

Linda
Smockette
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 16, 2009
4:40 PM

Post #6275536

Hey, Linda! How are you girl? I bought a bigger crock pot just so I could make Lillie Mae's Greens!!! lol
Could you find that link about growing veggies over the cattle hoops & post it?
I now have 80' of hoop GHs to block off the sight of trailers behind my house. The only problem is when the plastic comes off for the summer, I can see right thru the GHs!
Since Ike, these dummies decided to clear all but a few trees off their property. Needless to say, they don't keep their back yards decent much less nice!!!
Come on Woodlands Pkwy & buy me out!!!
:~)

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 16, 2009
5:23 PM

Post #6275806

Smockette,
Girl, I just made two crockpots of Lilly Mae's Greens yesterday to bring to my DDIL who had surgery. I made cornbread, too! They had company already when I arrived with the pots, but they couldn't keep outta the kitchen sampling from the pot! With company still there, no less!

That tomato pic should be in my tagged files somewhere. I'll look for it for you.

Where're you gonna go if/when they buy you out?
Smockette
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 16, 2009
6:19 PM

Post #6276044

Don't have any idea where I will go! It took me 4 yrs to find this place! But with what they will pay me for 2 acres of prime Woodlands property, $$ won't be a factor like it was b4! Of course, being unemployed since Aug, I could sure use an advance, now!!! ROFLOL
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 16, 2009
6:20 PM

Post #6276050

I'm lookin' for the tomato"trellis" too. We substitute chard for all kinds of greens. Almost have a big enough mess of them to cook your recipe. Makes my mouth water.

Christi

morganc

morganc
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 16, 2009
11:10 PM

Post #6277247

These are all so cool. I am talking my DH into an arch in our strolling flower garden. I keep e-mailing the pics to him.
:-)

What is Lillie Mae's Greens?

Pam
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 17, 2009
3:38 PM

Post #6280315

Cheryl, go for it, it wasn't my idea. I copied it from a magazine :0)

We used 4x4x12 posts. Our soil is sandy in that spot and we needed a deep footing. After they were set we marked them with a level line and cut them all to the same height.

One problem we did have was one of the posts warped. It wasn't noticeable until we went to attach the panel. It still isn't noticeable unless I take photo and have a straight line to compare it with. Then it really sticks out. Hopefully the plant growth will cover it in time.

I grew moonflower (one seed) on one corner waiting for the roses to grow. It will indeed cover the panel! But, boy it was a pain to clean off in the fall.

Linda, a friend of mine tried to talk me into growing tomatoes on the trellis. Couldn't do it , I already had roses ordered. Then I had tomato seedling appear in that bed, it was the compost, but accused him of sneaking tomato seeds in.lol
Smockette
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 17, 2009
4:33 PM

Post #6280522

Morganc, they are the best recipe you ever tasted for greens. Lilly Mae is Gymgirl's mother.
Gymgirl made us a pot & brought it to the first RU we had @ RJuddHarrison's. They didn't need any seasoning @ all. They are more than one kind of greens & are absolutely GREAT!!!!!!!!!
Talk to her nice & I bet she will give you recipe but only if you call them "Lilly Mae's Greens"!
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 17, 2009
4:33 PM

Post #6280526

That's beautiful, Cocoa! What a refreshing sight for sore eyes! Love the brass caps on the posts, too!

This message was edited Mar 17, 2009 12:35 PM

morganc

morganc
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 17, 2009
4:41 PM

Post #6280551

Thank you Smockette...I have sent off a D-mail.

I must get my DH to make one of these Arches...they are sooooo cool! Love the brass top!
PerryPost
Minneapolis, MN

March 17, 2009
5:16 PM

Post #6280717

Lilly Mae's Greens

Gymgirl, can you post that recipe cuz I'm curious about it too!
Please please pretty please?
Thanks!
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 17, 2009
8:12 PM

Post #6281499

Gymgirl's recipe: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=3767860
KoiGardenClub
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 4b)

March 18, 2009
7:43 AM

Post #6283735

I'm droolin
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 18, 2009
10:38 AM

Post #6283878

Sounds really yummy!
luciludog
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 18, 2009
11:01 AM

Post #6283914

silly girl question...if the panels are 16 ft long...how did you get them home?
my hubby has a new truck...he'd just die if I scratched it getting those things
home.

My friend down the street is using them for a bean trellis..another friend
uses fence posts to hang them on for her veggie garden.

Thanks for all the great ideas!
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 18, 2009
11:23 AM

Post #6283956

We used a trailer but some places will deliver if you live nearby.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

March 18, 2009
8:55 PM

Post #6286391

luciludog

She is in East Texas we all have at lease 1 trailer out here ... LOL

TexasPuddyPrint

TexasPuddyPrint
Edinburg, TX

March 19, 2009
4:19 AM

Post #6288469

I bought numerous panels over the years and since I drive an Xterra SUV I had the guys at McCoy's roll/fold them over and tie the two ends together - the result should look a huge rain drop :o) I then had them tie that down on top of the roof rack of my vehicle.

The next time I bought some I just had the guys lay them on top of the xterra roof rack and tie them down to that as well as to the front bumper. Mind you...those things are 16 feet in length so they pretty much will hang over the hood and out to the back of your vehicle. However, I didn't want to risk any scratches to the paint so I put a rolled up blanket on the front of the hood where the wire panel would touch the vehicle - and well the back end of the panel just sort of hung out over the back of my car...but since they were tied to the back end of the roof rack they didn't touch the trunk/cargo paint.

I live only about a mile from the local McCoy's so didn't have far to travel...but am sure everyone that passed me by thought I was a crazy woman!!!

Other than that if you have a truck bed you can probably get the panels to roll up into a semi-large roll that you can tie together so the ends don't spring back out on you and lay that into the truck bed...they are only 48 inches in height...so that should fit into any truck bed :o)

Good luck!

~ Cat
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 19, 2009
4:31 AM

Post #6288502

Now I just need to figure out how to fit one into my Geo Metro...

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 19, 2009
11:21 AM

Post #6288926

Strap 'em down on the top!! Just be sure to put some kind of pad on top of your car to keep the panels from scratching the roof.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 19, 2009
1:27 PM

Post #6289284

Why can't the lumber companies like HD and Lowe's just CUT them for you? They cut lumber for people don't they?

Every time I buy 10 ft of PVC pipe I end up driving home holding on to it outside and parallel to my car. Can't go too fast cause the wind catches in the pipe and starts humming like one'a those Aborigine pipe thingies!
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

March 19, 2009
1:46 PM

Post #6289356

I have asked to borrow a PVC cutter or hacksaw to do just that GG.
Conduit comes in 20 foot lengths, and I can only get about 9 feet inside the car (rear seats fold down).
I can secure the trunk open a bit to handle 10 foot material.
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 19, 2009
1:55 PM

Post #6289392

Gymgirl, my HD has cut PVC pipe for me ... they'll only do one cut. Ask the manager of your store.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

March 19, 2009
2:25 PM

Post #6289499

Marylyn_TX,
ROTFLMAO ... I can just see you driving down I45 with cattle panels end to end bouncing Up & Down ...lol
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 19, 2009
2:27 PM

Post #6289508

See, this is what I'm thinking... LOL If it goes from the hood to the back of Cat's Xterra, I'd have to wrap my Geo - several times.

Linda, ROFLOLOL... The next time you buy PVC pipe, let me know. I want to watch. :-)
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

March 19, 2009
7:57 PM

Post #6290907

I have DH all lined up with his trailer for a Sat run to the new Atwoods. They have panels for 19.99 and starter veggie & flower plants 3 packs for 58 cents I Thats cheaper then starting seeds ...
Now if I could only find some of last years baled hay
Cheryl

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 19, 2009
8:06 PM

Post #6290944

um, Do I have an Atwoods in Houston?
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 19, 2009
8:23 PM

Post #6291031

Ummm... http://atwoodapps.elementfusion.com/store_locator.asp No.

Too bad.. It looks like a nice store!

This message was edited Mar 19, 2009 3:24 PM

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 19, 2009
8:32 PM

Post #6291078

shoot.
dmj1218
west Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 19, 2009
10:22 PM

Post #6291553

probably not much of a call for it in Houston--not much livestock to contain. you used to could get concrete reinforcing mesh which was basically the same thing just shorter (6-7' high by different lengths).
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

March 20, 2009
12:29 AM

Post #6292130

Atwoods just opened (Grand Opening Sat) up here also I think there are only 4 or 5 in texas ...
Im sure they will head south sooner or later
Texasgrower
Palestine, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 20, 2009
12:35 AM

Post #6292163

There is an Atwoods in Jacksonville demi.

TexasPuddyPrint

TexasPuddyPrint
Edinburg, TX

March 20, 2009
12:54 AM

Post #6292261

Gymgirl...too funny! Who knows...making that pipe thingie sound might attract some long lost species of bird...or the chupacabra!!! Heh heh!

Marylyn...You can do it!!!
Don't you remember seeing those little foreign cars loaded to the gills?!

~ Cat
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 20, 2009
1:45 AM

Post #6292501

Y'all are cracking me up! Love that funny photo, Cat!

I do so want to make that arbor trellis! Keep the ideas coming ...
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 20, 2009
1:55 AM

Post #6292554

ROFOLOL, Cat!!! That's an awesome photo.
PerryPost
Minneapolis, MN

March 20, 2009
8:34 AM

Post #6293626

Poor car.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 20, 2009
2:16 PM

Post #6294492

When I went to Africa, I rode in a little bus that was packed like that on the outside. And not only with stuff, but PEOPLE actually rode on the outside, too, holding onto whatever they could. Did I mention there were goats and chickens in cages strapped to that little bus? And there were these clever little seats that folded up to make an isle. Once four people sat down in their seats, they folded the last seat down for one more passenger. Then there were no aisles.

And all this activity was on a one-lane dirt road going up a mountain with no side railing. I sat in the very first seat across from the driver and watched him playing chicken with the bus approaching head-on. They instinctively seemed to know which way to curve so there'd be no collision.

And I said more prayers than I ever prayed in my life! Now I know what those reports of tourist busses going off the cliffs are all about...
texasrockgarden
Canyon Lake, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 20, 2009
2:23 PM

Post #6294516

Quoting:And I said more prayers than I ever prayed in my life!

Life is worthless living the glass jars we create for ourselves and our offspring. Life is ALL about the things that make our hearts beat fast. :)

Jerry

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 20, 2009
2:26 PM

Post #6294524

TRock!

How do you make a "quote" box!!!???
texasrockgarden
Canyon Lake, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 20, 2009
2:33 PM

Post #6294551

Quoting:How do you make a "quote" box!!!???

use all lowercase for the words [Quote].

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 20, 2009
3:03 PM

Post #6294707

Quoting:use all lowercase for the words [Quote].

Like this?▲

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 20, 2009

Post #6294711

KEWL!:-)

TexasPuddyPrint

TexasPuddyPrint
Edinburg, TX

March 20, 2009
11:35 PM

Post #6296797

Quoting:KEWL!

~ Cat
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 20, 2009
11:41 PM

Post #6296822

LOL All ~ TRock, I would have to say you are addicted to adrenalin... 8 )

TexasPuddyPrint

TexasPuddyPrint
Edinburg, TX

March 20, 2009
11:49 PM

Post #6296843

Yeah...my neice was working in Nigeria last year and she said she'd see guys on bicycles and motorcycles packed to gills...and the buses or 'carts' had people hanging on from the outside. Wish I would've thought to have her take photos.

Wish I would've taken a photo of my xterra with those fence panels on it! Oh well, ya'll will just have to settle for this one of my after I raided a friend's yard for Golden Pothos cuttings!!! Mind you...I drove a good 10 miles through the city from her house to mine with this stuff on my car :o) ROFL!!!

~ Cat

This message was edited Mar 20, 2009 6:51 PM
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 21, 2009
12:34 AM

Post #6297023

lol...it's a chia truck :0)
bananna18
Colleyville, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 21, 2009
1:21 AM

Post #6297235

very funny!
aswan01
Cleveland, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 21, 2009
4:29 AM

Post #6297955

OMG, TxPP, that is HILARIOUS! I bet you got some looks when people saw a gigantic plant coming down the road at them.
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 21, 2009
6:20 AM

Post #6298197

ROFLOLOL!

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 21, 2009
11:38 AM

Post #6298446

People were probably thinking, "Why does that woman have a giant cabbage on the top of her car?!?" LOL
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

March 21, 2009
11:43 AM

Post #6298454

AND -Where will she get a pot big enough to cook it. LOL

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 21, 2009
11:52 AM

Post #6298463

What we won't do for free plants!! LOL!
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

March 22, 2009
2:17 AM

Post #6301701

Well We made it back from Atwoods with 6 panels and a lot of other stuff...lol
here is the start of my panel garden
the panels arnt tied down just kind of sitting there we will string wire between the panels it covers 50' DH wanted it high in the middle so he could walk under it DH is 6'4" :)
The Blue Barrels ill be useing to plant in ...
Cheryl

This message was edited Mar 21, 2009 9:18 PM

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 22, 2009
2:21 AM

Post #6301714

WOW! That's a great start!

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 22, 2009
2:25 AM

Post #6301726

So Cheryl what are you going to plant?
dmj1218
west Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 22, 2009
3:34 AM

Post #6302039

cool projects guys! keep 'em coming with lots of pic's--the rest of our little heads are just spinning with ideas--can't you just almost hear all this thinkin'?!
Debbie
=)
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 22, 2009
3:40 AM

Post #6302064

Cheryl ~ it looks like you have some of the bbls cut in half lengthwise like troughs? What's your plan for those?
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

March 22, 2009
1:14 PM

Post #6302894

What I'm planting :
Loofa,
Birdhouse gourd,
Yellow Squash,
Zucchini,
cucumber,
beans,
watermelon babies,
broccoli,
spinach,
onions,
and starting a Strawberry patch .
I'm planting in the Barrels our soil is very sandy,& I raise Australian Shepherds The Garden is in the fenced 2 acres that they run & lots of gophers So maybe this will keep then all out :)
So I'm going to line up the half lengthwise like troughs bbls and plant everything that will vine in them, I'm still looking for hay bales. Id like to but in the bbls.
The Plan is to be able to cover the all or part with plastic for a winter green house... & an early start for next year.
Well Id better get busy
Cheryl

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 22, 2009
1:21 PM

Post #6302917

Wow, I am impressed with your long-range vision for the project!! You have put a lot of thought into it from A to Z. Hope you share pics along the way.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 22, 2009
1:23 PM

Post #6302922

Great ideas... we built a plant shelter out of cattle panels and covered with plastic. I am going to bubblewrap it also this year. It is left on year around but I like your idea to get a jump on spring. Good luck.
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 22, 2009
1:54 PM

Post #6303006

Fantastic ideas, Cheryl! Yes, please DO post photos when you got it all done and I'd love to see photos of the plants going wild on these arches! Awesome idea!
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 22, 2009
4:00 PM

Post #6303416

That is going to be so cool looking! I never thought of covering them with plastic, great idea :0)
collincountytx
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 29, 2009
2:22 PM

Post #6335081

Here's an update on the black spray painted plastic coated metal closet organizer, quickrete, masonary nails, black zip tie method.

bobyrd
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 29, 2009
2:53 PM

Post #6335202

Looks great! And I'll bet it's sturdier than some of those premade arbors or trellises.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 29, 2009
2:59 PM

Post #6335218

Nice CC... That was an odd space it looks like, but you have filled it nicely.
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 29, 2009
3:01 PM

Post #6335223

Looking good, CC. You know better then to post a rose without naming it *wink wink, nudge nudge*
collincountytx
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 29, 2009
3:13 PM

Post #6335275

sorry, 'Climbing Iceberg'
There is a 'Nelly Moser' Clematis climbing up in there also (hasn't bloomed yet) will update when it does.

Yeh, weird spot 40% sun in spots and shade at the bottom (perfect for Nelly)
I have another climbing iceberg, but this one does better here in the weird spot, compared to the one in full sun.
In hot, sunny Texas, I've found that 'Climbing Iceberg' does great as long as it gets 4-5 hrs of sun (that's all this one gets)
Because its in lots of shade and warmed in its oven-like environment, the blooms last a loooong time.
bananna18
Colleyville, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 29, 2009
3:19 PM

Post #6335299

How did you set it. How much concrete?
collincountytx
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 29, 2009
3:32 PM

Post #6335357

I dug a semicircular trench about 1.5 foot deep and 9 inches wide (very similar to fence post hole depth). I tested the shape of the trench by placing the pre spraypainted closet shelve organizers in the trench, and tweaked the shape of the holes/trench.

I mixed a bag of quickrete and water (per bag directions) in a wheel barrow, and then shoveled the quickrete in the holes. Then I placed the organizers in there (vertically). Then hammered some masonary nails into the brick house wall. Then used black zip ties to tie the organizers onto the nails. Used more ties to tie them together.

It is unbelievably strong (much stronger than I had anticipated)

If I remember correctly, I might have used two bags of the quickrete. In hindsight, I probably overdid the hole depth and quickrete amount. The trellis is not coming out of the ground (doesn't want to budge an inch), I mean, it is there real good.

It is self-setting quickrete. Just mix water and quickrete. It starts to harden pretty fast. The trick here is to not add too much water. You want dryish very lumpy oatmeal consistency (not soup)

This message was edited Mar 29, 2009 10:38 AM

This message was edited Mar 29, 2009 10:41 AM
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 29, 2009
3:59 PM

Post #6335483

Looks great, I have iceberg in a few hours morning sun too and surprised how much it blooms. We'll have to revisit the shade tolerant roses this summer :0) I planted a few and some have done better then others.
bananna18
Colleyville, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 29, 2009
8:04 PM

Post #6336532

Thanks for the instructions. I may even be able to do that myself.Do masonary nails just get hammered into bricks?
collincountytx
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 29, 2009
8:10 PM

Post #6336554

Yep, masonary nails, just hammer into the mortar between the bricks. No need to drill a pilot hole (but you could if you wanted)
collincountytx
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 1, 2009
12:32 PM

Post #6348925

'Nelly Moser' Bloom on the trellis

had to use flash this am. will try to get a photo with just sunlight sometime.

This message was edited Apr 1, 2009 7:33 AM

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 1, 2009
12:54 PM

Post #6348981

Very pretty bloom! Looks like an artificial flower with its sheen.
collincountytx
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 1, 2009
3:31 PM

Post #6349615

I've had people ask me when looking at my yard "Is that flower real?"
BlueGlancer
South/Central, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 3, 2009
12:21 AM

Post #6356772

Oh wow, that is a very pretty bloom. : )
~Lucy

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 3, 2009
3:21 AM

Post #6357603

collinco..
I am curious as to why you don't get the pink stripe. Is it because of the limited sun? I guess this is the one you have?
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/694/
collincountytx
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 3, 2009
3:56 AM

Post #6357724

I used camera "flash" at 0700 when I took the picture. will try to post a picture with just sunlight to get the "real" colors (it has the stripes, etc)

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 3, 2009
4:24 AM

Post #6357790

That explains it. I really love that one and have looked for it off and on. Did you order it online or buy it locally?
lrwells50
(Lynn) Paris, TX
(Zone 7b)

April 3, 2009
1:41 PM

Post #6358719

I think I got my Nelly Moser at North Haven

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 3, 2009
2:52 PM

Post #6359007

Thanks, I looked them up just now. Too far to go in a short time, but I like the looks of their website/photos and will get there later on.
collincountytx
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 6, 2009
11:24 AM

Post #6371066

I froogle searched "Nelly Moser Clematis" and purchased. Lets see the results today.

TX 75001 - Change
Change location:
We could not understand the location
Please enter a location
Clematis 'Nelly Moser' Clematis 'Nelly Moser'
One of the most popular Clematis of all time, blooming early summer and again in the fall with tremendous displays of colorful blooms. ...
Add to Shopping List
$10.95
Hortus Botanicus Catalog
Clematis Nelly Moser Clematis Nelly Moser
Early, Large Flowered Type Partial Shade, Shade Zones 4-11, grows 8 to 10 feet Moser of Versailles, France, 1897. AGM This is an outstanding selection for ...
Add to Shopping List
$14.95
Brushwood Nursery
Clematis 'Nelly Moser' Clematis 'Nelly Moser'
Eye-catching striped flowers are a pale mauve with a deep purplish-pink central bar and very dark reddish-purple stamens. Color may be lighter in full sun. ...
Add to Shopping List
$19.95
Paradise Garden
'Nelly Moser' is one of the most popular Clematis cultivars and will surely brighten any dark, shady area! Awarded Royal Horticultural Society's Award of ...
Add to Shopping List
$16.95
Garden Crossings
These large flowering, hybrid Clematis are called 'Queen of the Garden.' All of our Clematis come from Raymond Evison in the island of Guernsey, ...
Add to Shopping List
$5.00
Van Bourgondien Wholesale
Clematis Nelly Moser Notecard Clematis Nelly Moser Notecard
Three of Clematis Series of Four Note Card.
Add to Shopping List
$2.45
Zazzle
Lavender Clematis Seeds Nelly Moser Lavender Clematis Seeds Nelly Moser
Find Lavender Clematis Seeds Nelly Moser on eBay in the category Home & Garden>Yard, Garden & Outdoor Living>Gardening & Plants>Plants, ...
Add to Shopping List
$0.99
Free shipping
eBay
Nellie Moser Clematis Card Nellie Moser Clematis Card
... Garden cards Keywords: clematis, flower, flowers, floral, Nellie Moser, ... birthday, greeting card, paper card Front: Nellie Moser Clematis Inside: ...
Add to Shopping List
$2.79
Greeting Card Universe

Accepts Google Checkout

'Nelly Moser' 'Nelly Moser'
A great favorite since its introduction over a hundred years ago. Pale mauve pink with a deeper pink bar and dark red anthers.
Add to Shopping List
$5.98
Chalk Hill Clematis
Clematis Natascha Clematis Natascha
Clematis Natascha Early Large Flowered Hybrid Full Sun, Partial Shade Zones 4-11 Grows 6 to 8 ... A nice look where Nelly Moser would be too light in color. ...
Add to Shopping List

dstarr
Sealy, TX

April 6, 2009
2:05 PM

Post #6371660

Hi, all,
Just found the thread - great ideas! I have a question about the Nellie Moser clematis - are you buying the plant or seeds? I have been reallly wanting to try out clematis but haven't seen it anywhere around here. I live west of Houston, about 5 miles E of Sealy. Maybe Cornelius' would have it.
Deb
collincountytx
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 6, 2009
6:09 PM

Post #6372978

I bought a little plant. 1st year sleeps (but did bloom 1st year), then creeps, then leaps.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 7, 2009
3:24 PM

Post #6377428

I had looked on line also, but I always prefer buying local plants. If I can't find it I will order though. Collin..Missed you at the RU btw.
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

April 7, 2009
3:32 PM

Post #6377464

A friend has a panel for sale on craigslist (or will have soon). It was bent into a near circular shape and used as an arbor in a garden. It is located west of Houston about 30 miles.
collincountytx
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 7, 2009
3:53 PM

Post #6377575

Sorry, I couldn't make it (was in San Antonio for a conference)---also went to the Zoo and SeaWorld. Missed you all also.
City_Sylvia
Dallas, TX

April 8, 2009
4:35 AM

Post #6380845

Wow! I wonder if I could make a trellis without poking my eye out?

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 8, 2009
11:33 AM

Post #6381264

Sylvia, you are too funny!! You can do it...right after you find your rebar for the tipsy pots!!
City_Sylvia
Dallas, TX

April 9, 2009
3:42 AM

Post #6384980

Listen here Stephanie! you are going to work me to death! lol
Let me get one thing started first! LOL
I got a handyman friend, I am trying to get over here for the trellis. I keep seeing that Trellis with those Air potatoe vines for the back to shade my hostas. ...and also in the front for my Clemitis. I am wondering wil that wire get too hot and burn my Clemitis?
Steph was that your husband that made the Peach Cobbler?

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 9, 2009
10:34 AM

Post #6385567

No, my DH didn't make the cobbler. Carl's (1_Lucky_Texan) wife, Becky made the cobbler.

I also wonder if you can use that stuff they use for cement work for a trellis. That would be a whole lot easier to find, I would think. Looks the same as cattle fence panels, but might not be as sturdy.

City_Sylvia
Dallas, TX

April 10, 2009
3:07 AM

Post #6389707

LOL ... Oh Lawdy, where are you taking me now? :) I am really going to do the potty thing, the man next might have some, he has so much junk in his yard and he is always building something. I bet Patrob would know where to go. Would you believe she came all the way from Houston with the cattle hauler to move me into the new place? I got pictures! Of this cattle thing in the heart of downtown! I was needing a hip replacement and I was in so much pain ... everybody came to help ... and I hardly knew what going on with all them pain pills I was on. ;)
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

May 27, 2009

Post #6605058

Ok maybe I missed something. Like real important.
But I like the arch in the second post. How do you fasten it to the ground? Is it set in cement? or?

denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

May 27, 2009
8:30 PM

Post #6605764

Frilly,
I use T-post to set mine One is tied into the fence and the other side has 2 t-posts that the panel is tied to ...
Cheryl

Cajun2

Cajun2
(Carole) Cleveland, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 31, 2009
2:57 PM

Post #6621696

Cheryl, that's awesome!! WTG to u & DH!
i have really enjoyed this thread and am so inspired for next year.
will start this fall getting ready for next spring.
DH wants to expand our garden so i will show him this thread too.
of course DH is a long haul driver so the gardening is on me. if this makes my life easier... i'm all about it!

TexasPuddyPrint

TexasPuddyPrint
Edinburg, TX

May 31, 2009
3:31 PM

Post #6621805

WOW Cheryl!!! That is something else! What are you growing? Please remember to post photos when it is full of vines.

~ Cat
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

May 31, 2009
6:06 PM

Post #6622389

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/966657/
I have a thread in container garden
shows how its comming alone
Cheryl

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 30, 2010
9:52 AM

Post #7751275

Wow, I love all of these arbors and the like!! As it happens, I made such a thing last year too!

Christie

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 30, 2010
9:53 AM

Post #7751277

Here is a movie of it if you are interested, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rbgZmsm3d8&feature=player_embedded
Christie

TexasPuddyPrint

TexasPuddyPrint
Edinburg, TX

April 30, 2010
9:58 AM

Post #7751290

WOW! Nice looking arbor and benches! Love the coke memorabilia too!

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 30, 2010
10:41 AM

Post #7751394

Nice arbor and bird video Christi!
texasrockgarden
Canyon Lake, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 1, 2010
8:59 AM

Post #7754157

mrs_colla - Very Nice!!

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 1, 2010
11:52 AM

Post #7754513

Thanks; the signs is DH, he collects them.

This bird tunnel is very effective; the plants grow over it, the birds eat under it, and the stray cats cannot get the birds at all!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 2, 2010
6:19 AM

Post #7756482

Ok I've just reread this thread from start to finish. How about some updated pics of all those trellises ya'll constructed TWO years ago? Something shouldve grown on them by now.

Thanks for the memories!

Linda
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 2, 2010
6:25 AM

Post #7756493

Mrs. Colla - Beautiful set-up and very interesting how you protect the birds with the hoop shaped wire panels! Love it!

Here is my simple and cheap arbor/trellis that I will be growing Heavenly Blue and Pearly Gates Morning Glories up and over the top. It will become a shady seating area when the vines grow and cover the arbor. :-) I might paint the concrete bench a light blue to compliment Heavenly Blue to add a little more color to that area! ;-)

I've been following this thread for quite some time and have gotten all kinds of ideas from everyone! Thank you!
texasrockgarden
Canyon Lake, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 2, 2010
9:53 AM

Post #7756973

beckygardener wrote:Here is my simple and cheap arbor/trellis that I will be growing Heavenly Blue and Pearly Gates Morning Glories up and over the top.

Good one! Can't wait to see it covered with the MG's.

realbirdlady
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 2, 2010
10:47 AM

Post #7757084

lol - Great, just what I need, more ideas...

Those are all very cool!

mrs_colla, I'm not following how the bird tunnel helps with the cats?

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 2, 2010
11:14 AM

Post #7757150

Realbirdlady, the cats cannot get to the birds by jumping, it is too high, they cannot climb it, they cannot walk up to it.

My back neighbour has a cat herding problem; she has about 16 cats of all genders that are all unfixed. I see those cats stalk the birds for days, unsuccessfully, and then turn away!

So my plant arbor helps to save the birds in a cat high yard!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 2, 2010
2:09 PM

Post #7757612

My NEXT door neighbor has a cat herding problem. I'm soooooooooooooo glad to know this happens to other people, and that I'm not alone...

And guess where they think the latrine is?

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 2, 2010
2:53 PM

Post #7757712

Gymgirl, in your flower/veggie beds of course, happens here too. When I find poop I pick it up and throw it over the fence. I grow FOOD, I can't stand poop!

TexasPuddyPrint

TexasPuddyPrint
Edinburg, TX

May 2, 2010
6:40 PM

Post #7758451

Have had a variety of vines growing on the trellises over the years. Had thunbergia - removed it since the butterflies don't use it. Had snail vine - removed it since the butterflies don't use it. Had a passionvine that took over the trellis and started climbing onto my roof - it froze in December - removed it. Hmmm...also had my yellow morning glories on them - they got way out of hand - removed them :o) Had Calico Vine aka Dutchman's Pipe (aristolochia elegans) but butterflies wouldn't use it - it kept outgrowing the trellis and working it's way up the utility pole to the transformer. Cut it back several times over a span of two years then finally removed it.

The trellises are fairly bare now - haven't figure out what I want to plant on them. Am trying to stick to butterfly larval hosts :o)

So far have a couple of passion vines on them, a Blue Pea Vine and a Yellow Butterfly Orchid Vine.

Here's one of the passionvines - just took the photo :o)
Smockette
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 2, 2010
7:49 PM

Post #7758670

What zone are you in down there? Are you considered to be in the 'Valley'?
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 2, 2010
7:58 PM

Post #7758701

gymgirl - Ugh on the poo in your garden. I have a similar problem, but it is NOT cats. It's rats. I've apparently got a few of them that come into my yard at night from the vacant lots behind my house. They have been chewing on what little wood I have exposed on the exterior of my home. (My home is 98% brick, but they have managed to find the wood frame for my screen porch. Probably doing that to file down the length of their teeth. And they chew up plants in my yard, too. So I have my veggies in the front yard on the driveway next to the garage door. Which looks so tacky! I keep trying to rid my backyard of those particular rodents. I have squirrels, too, but they don't do the damage that the rats do. I am also afraid if I put the veggies out back, that they would start chewing/eating them as well. Even in the 5 gallon ebuckets. Those rats are smart and fast! Grrrrr ...

TTP - Your passiflora vines are beautiful. I had several growing all over my east fence too, but the freezing temps we had this year in Florida killed half of them. Most of my vines are nectar plants for the hummers and butterflies. I have Coral Honeysuckle, Crossvine, Cape Honeysuckle, and the Passi vines.

I have a white vinyl privacy fence in my backyard and vines have a hard time growing up that slick vinyl, so I added trellis panels to the inside of the fence to make it easier for the plants to climb.

TexasPuddyPrint

TexasPuddyPrint
Edinburg, TX

May 2, 2010

Post #7758840

Am thinking of constructing something that I can use on the west side of my house - my neighbor's tree cracked during a storm last year and they removed it - there is nothing shading that side of my house and the brick gets so hot!

I have orange cape honeysuckle that would never work on a trellis - it grows rampant and puts out runners! I cut it back to about 1 foot earlier this year and it's already spreading out long tendrils again. GRRRRR!!! Am going to see about pruning it to one main trunk and forcing it to look like a tree :o)

Bummer about those rats - I get them here too as there is a grassy alley between the back of my subdivision and the next. I used to put mousetraps on top of the shelves on my back porch but one day I saw a mockingbird pecking at the peanut butter on a sprung trap. Can't put them on the ground because of the dogs either. On a good note - the dogs do kill anything they can catch.

Smockette - yes I live in what is considered the Lower Rio Grande Valley.

Smockette
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 2, 2010
9:35 PM

Post #7758899

Have tried Mexican Flame Vine? Orange Glow Vine? Ck PlantFiles. I think it comes in more than one color combo.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 3, 2010
6:41 AM

Post #7759611

Beckygardener... Don't pull out the passion vine just yet. Mine freezes back each year but usually rebounds. I have one however that is evergreen; it is Blue Crown. It is green and leafy all winter. This year was a hard winter and only the surface leaves were damaged.

TexasPuddyPrint

TexasPuddyPrint
Edinburg, TX

May 3, 2010
6:49 AM

Post #7759631

Oh yeah, forgot also had Mexican Flame Vine on one too. Cut back after the freeze. It's starting to grow again.
debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 8, 2010
11:04 AM

Post #7775393

I just love the vines!! I have Coral HS too Becky and it is a wonderful plant! This year it really bloomed well. And I have lots of the Blue Crown like yours Cat. I finally got a new species on it the other day, Variegated Fritillary... She laid at least 50 eggs on it! I am so excited. I collected about a half dozen of them, and left the rest for now until they hatch out. I might collect more after that.

And my Aristolochia macrophylla came up and filled out quick.. Found about a dozen lovely black cats all through it, and probably more I couldn't see. I am also seeing seed pods forming on them already so I got some good pics to share and file. The blooms are only about 1 inch, but very pretty. The pods form after the blooms fall off and are about 1 1/4 inch.

TexasPuddyPrint

TexasPuddyPrint
Edinburg, TX

May 8, 2010
7:52 PM

Post #7776496

Debnes - congrats on the Variegated Fritillary!!! Those butterflies have the puuuuuuuurtiest chrysalis!!!

Where the black cats on the a. macrophylla Polydamas or Pipevine Swallowtails - or something else?

~ Cat
gretagreenthumb
Wichita Falls, TX

May 9, 2010
11:21 AM

Post #7777782

Hey everybody, I am so excited -- ever since I first found this thread, I have wanted a archway over my arobic septic system (which has way too much above ground concrete dedicated to it). So when my husband ask what I wanted for Mother's Day, I immediately said I wanted a cattlepanel archway. He is doing it! He picked up 4 panels. Plans are to use t-post about 4-5 feet apart to anchor the cattlepanels. I am so excited! The center height will be about 6 1/2 to 7 feet (approx). I saw a picture of something like this -- not using cattle panels -- with squash covering it. They had rudbeckia, nasturtiums, and sunflowers under it. Of course the squash did not completely cover it. I also like the idea of covering it with beans (easy picking), but husband ask me not to put edibles around the septic system. So my next goal is for butterfly magnets. I already have one honeysuckle in the general area, planted last fall, with hopes of my soon-to-get arch. I'm excited!!!!! Thanks for much for the ideas!!!!

TexasPuddyPrint

TexasPuddyPrint
Edinburg, TX

May 9, 2010
11:35 AM

Post #7777816

Glad you found the thread - it's still alive after three + years :o)

Livestock panels are soooooooo versatile!!! I still have mine - most from back in 2002 when I bought this house. Very little signs of wear and in great shape after numerous vines and such over the years.

Of course the ones we have as fencing and corrals at the ranch have been there for decades!

Remember to post photos of the project as you go along!!!

~ Cat

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 10, 2010
9:29 AM

Post #7780322

Yay GretaGeenThumb! Post pictures?
gretagreenthumb
Wichita Falls, TX

May 10, 2010
7:01 PM

Post #7781951

I will post pictures. Thus far, we have one cattle panel up (very temporary). My husband went looking for short (4') t-post today, first place only had 5'. We are thinking they only need to be about 4', just tall enough to support verticle part of arch, therefore not interfering with the rest of look. I am checking out my seed to see what I can plant on it this year. Looking at moon vine, hyacinth bean, and maybe morning glory to go with the one honeysuckle. Morning glory scares me with its 'prolific seed producing' nature. But, they sure are pretty. Anyone know of a rather drought resistant vine? I'd love to do something that brings in the butterflies and hummingbirds. Ideas appreciated.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 10, 2010
8:53 PM

Post #7782275

If you put in a passion vine it will definately bring the butterflies since it is a host plant. However most are deciduous, and the bf cats will eat them to the ground at times, but they will rebound. I have one called "blue crown" however that is evergreen and seems to keep up with the caterpillars of this Gulf Fritillary butterfly.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/185516/

This message was edited May 10, 2010 10:54 PM

This message was edited May 10, 2010 11:17 PM
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 10, 2010
9:43 PM

Post #7782367

Sheila - LOL! I was just going to suggest a Passiflora vine! Great suggestions if I might say so myself! ;-)

TexasPuddyPrint

TexasPuddyPrint
Edinburg, TX

May 11, 2010
9:42 AM

Post #7783489

YAH!!! Sheila!!! I have several passion vines on mine - the Gulf Frits have been going crazy laying eggs too.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

October 17, 2010

Post #8161550

Can you grow 8 pound melons on those cattle panels?

did anyone take pictures of their fully grown arch trellises?

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 17, 2010
9:48 PM

Post #8161601

They do have different gauge wire panels. I am not sure the smaller on I got would be up to holding the weight. I made two triangle towers with mine then realized I cut one shorter than the other!! It was really a chore to work with for me, wire cutters and my hands didn't do well together. I won't try cutting it again.
I put them up anyway and had passion vines on them, but recently took down the short side and plan to put that plant on a arbor we just bought. I left the three sided tower that was taller and will take a picture of it some time.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 17, 2010
9:58 PM

Post #8161607

BTW,,,the arbor is one Lowes carries for around $50. It was much easier to assemble too.

TexasPuddyPrint

TexasPuddyPrint
Edinburg, TX

October 18, 2010
7:16 AM

Post #8162004

Am sure they will hold a bunch of melons - just need to make sure you brace it in place and perhaps instead of using an arch shape you stand it up lengthwise between two posts. That way the melon vine can spread out lengthwise and distribute the weight of the melons across the whole panel.

I still won't buy any trellises made out of thin or hollow metal. They end up rusting out within a year or two out here. I've had the livestock fence panels in use since 2002 and the ones we have at the ranch forming the corral fencing have been there for decades and they are still in great shape.

Am planning on getting brother to make more of the triangular obelisks for me. It takes me too much time to saw through each wire with a dremel tool :o) Same goes when using bolt cutters to cut the wire. Hard work! It takes him only mere seconds when using the welder. Bending it over to form the triangular shape takes both of us but he heats up the wires and they bend quickly. Then he just tack welds the two sides together and it's done!

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 18, 2010
7:38 AM

Post #8162044

Now if DH would get to welding like he plans to do some day, that might be easier. My bottle tree rotted and fell so that will be his first project!
I have three of the arbors and haven't had a rusting out problem, but can see how it could happen. The gates are useless for us however, we leave them open all the time. One is covered with evergreen Confederate Jasmine and smells so sweet when in bloom. We had just got it going good in this picture, you can't see the arbor now the vines are so thick. Another I am training Mex Flame vine on and this last one will be Blue Crown passi.

morganc

morganc
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 18, 2010
8:09 AM

Post #8162103

Very pretty!
gretagreenthumb
Wichita Falls, TX

October 18, 2010
11:10 AM

Post #8162354

I finally took the pictures. I will post beginning and end of summer result.

My goal was to hide the syptic system you see. It worked! We used small 4' post as you can see. There was nothing done extra to anchor them. They have survived some very strong winds -- it was interesting to watch it sway in the wind when it was heavy with vines.
gretagreenthumb
Wichita Falls, TX

October 18, 2010
11:14 AM

Post #8162360

This is mid-season. . .

I am pleased, but did discover that vines will climb up -- though not over! They want to keep going up.

I used Hyacinth bean ruby moon on one side with a few moonflowers in between. That side is solid -- loaded -- really pretty. But, disappointingly, it did not really begin to bloom until September.

The other side was planted with a beautiful morning glory, that I soon discovered was not a climber (didn't know that was possible). So I put a few cypress vines with them on one end. They did well and are loaded with seed heads now (Oct.).

I also had a couple small honeysuckles planted before all of the above -- I can't find them now -- wondering if they are still even alive. This fall or next spring will tell.

gretagreenthumb
Wichita Falls, TX

October 18, 2010
11:18 AM

Post #8162368

This is a side view of those non-climbing morning glories. That side never really filled in; thankfully it was not the side seen from the house. I still love my arch!
gretagreenthumb
Wichita Falls, TX

October 18, 2010
11:31 AM

Post #8162390

This was taken at dusk in all its glory!
gretagreenthumb
Wichita Falls, TX

October 18, 2010
11:34 AM

Post #8162395

last picture! I just had to show a closeup of this.

People suggested passion vine -- I've never grown them, but am told they spread like crazy, so am rather afraid of them. Thinking next year of only doing cypress vine, the hummingbirds like that. Don't think I'll do the Hycinth bean again.

I hope this helps encourage people how easy an arch can be. And fun! And not too pricey! It was my mother's day gift!
bobyrd
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 18, 2010
5:16 PM

Post #8163076

How tall is this arch made with the panels? I am thinking of putting one over a gate that goes into my backyard.
bananna18
Colleyville, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 18, 2010
5:41 PM

Post #8163144

Good pics and description of what worked and didn't. Those hyacinth bean will reseed, so you might want to snip the pods you can reach now. ...Yeah, if it wasn't dark, I would do the same!

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 19, 2010
5:37 AM

Post #8163844

Brenda, that is an impressive arch and garden behind it. I can see a bench under there to rest on. Good job! See you in the spring.
Sheila
gretagreenthumb
Wichita Falls, TX

October 19, 2010
10:06 AM

Post #8164326

bob, the heigth of the arch depends on how far you spread the width. The panels are 16' long. My arch is approx 6'+. I am 5'8" and can walk under without a problem, exceot this fall when it is loaded with vines, I had to lower my head to keep from getting hit by a vine, more in fear of possible bees -- I'm allergic!

I used a garden hose marked at 16' and arched on the ground to get an idea how far apart to place the ends so it would be tall enough.

Banana, thinking about picking bean seed and reselling on e-bay this winter when i'm stuck inside. Also been picking cypress seed. Thanks for the warning, now i'll be more diligent!

Thanks Shelia! My garden is behind it and this summer at times it looked like a jungle out there, especially when I overwatered! My own little jungle in my backyard -- I liked it, even if I couldn't get to it. . . my sweet potatoes took over. Now i have more sweet potates than I know what to do with!

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 19, 2010
2:44 PM

Post #8164710

Baked sweet potatoes, candied sweet potatoes, sweet potato pie, sweet potato bread, sweet potato fries,...etc.! Sorry I had a Forest Gump moment.. LOL!

TexasPuddyPrint

TexasPuddyPrint
Edinburg, TX

October 19, 2010
2:47 PM

Post #8164715

Mmmmm sweet potatoes!!! I can make a mean Sweet Potato Casserole :o)

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

October 19, 2010
2:50 PM

Post #8164718

Diced, sliced, smashed, mashed, julienned, curled, boiled, sauteed, fried nuked, ...etc!

Sheila_FW,
That would be a "Bubba Gump" moment...LOL! (He had a partner, remember)

Bubba-Gymgirl ^:-)^

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 19, 2010
2:51 PM

Post #8164719

Right! Sorry Bubba!
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

October 19, 2010
3:01 PM

Post #8164730

Whut???

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

October 19, 2010
3:02 PM

Post #8164731

Gump, Gump, Gump!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

October 19, 2010

Post #8164736

Bubba-Gumpgirl?
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

October 19, 2010
4:32 PM

Post #8164915

lol

Lookie here

http://ohiothoughtsblog.blogspot.com/2010/07/pumpkin-arbor.html

TexasPuddyPrint

TexasPuddyPrint
Edinburg, TX

October 19, 2010

Post #8165042

WOW Cricket...guess that answers your earlier question about 8 pound melons!!!

~ Cat
gretagreenthumb
Wichita Falls, TX

October 19, 2010
9:52 PM

Post #8165531

ooh, this looks inviting! My orginal design that I planned my arch from was covered with squash or gourds. It was pretty. Maybe I'll do this next year -- with -- cypress vine. Sounds pretty.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 19, 2010
10:11 PM

Post #8165541

They used double fencing but it wasn't as strong as the livestock panels are. You should have no trouble supporting what you want to grow.
grits74571
Talihina, OK

October 20, 2010
3:39 PM

Post #8166631

Greta check out the photos of the Sweet Autumn Clematis I have a wooden arch that was wonderful for a Rambicate Trombocino (squash) but next year I want more of the SAC so plan to move some of mine around ..
gretagreenthumb
Wichita Falls, TX

October 20, 2010
7:53 PM

Post #8167040

grits -- where will I find this pic? I went to Sweet Autumn Clematis plant files and did not find any wooden arch. . . but I did read lots of information about the SAC.

Help me find this. Thanks!
grits74571
Talihina, OK

October 21, 2010
2:17 PM

Post #8168275

After seeing all of the beautiful arches I wanted to show mine, first and only one so far... all hand built next pic will have it covered with a squash vine..
grits74571
Talihina, OK

October 21, 2010
2:26 PM

Post #8168284

It is a thread that a bunch of SAC fans was doing about a month ago on Texas gardening..
grits74571
Talihina, OK

October 21, 2010
2:31 PM

Post #8168290

Sure hope to find the right pic
grits74571
Talihina, OK

October 21, 2010
2:37 PM

Post #8168301

That wasn't the pic I hoped for but does show a good use for the arch a great setting for family pictures In this one My Sister and her DH from Conroe,Tx. This one shows what a great thing an arch can be for climbers

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 21, 2010
5:30 PM

Post #8168620

grits...that is a cute arch. What type of squash is that with the huge leaves? Those would make great castings.
gretagreenthumb
Wichita Falls, TX

October 21, 2010
7:52 PM

Post #8168777

Shelia, have you done castings? I'm wanting to make a couple with my elephant ears. Any hints?
grits74571
Talihina, OK

October 21, 2010
8:14 PM

Post #8168807

Greta we had a thread about bird baths and I don't remeember if it was here or on the birders forum but I am att. a page I copied from a magazine = I have lots of pix of ones I have made I know my name isn't Shelia but here they be ..And Shelia the squash is Rambicante Trombocino and it was in the worst garden mistakes thread as someone translated it was Rampaging Zuchinni
grits74571
Talihina, OK

October 21, 2010
8:18 PM

Post #8168808

Here is one of the first I made and is from an EE it has such an elegant shape

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 21, 2010
9:06 PM

Post #8168858

Grits...That is so pretty! Thanks for retrieving that sheet, I remember seeing it before. Found it on line...here is the link! http://www.gardengatemagazine.com/extras/53birdbath1.php

Brenda...no I haven't tried it ...Yet! I have huge EEs and some years Castor bean leaves and keep thinking about doing it. Peg...Datura12 gave me one she makes them to hang on the wall too. Love it, and she said it is easy.
gretagreenthumb
Wichita Falls, TX

October 22, 2010
8:16 AM

Post #8169345

Thanks grits and Shelia -- Today I will pick up the stuff to make this -- if I keep putting this off, I'll loose my leaves to frost.

I've seen gardengates information. . . And kept researching on line. Found another site that recommended putting chicken wire in for reinforcement. Think I'll do that. The painting kind of scares me, but hey, I have several elephant ear plants -- what have I got to loose?
bananna18
Colleyville, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 22, 2010
6:26 PM

Post #8170257

They look wonderful. Wouldn't that be fun to do at a RU? Too bad we couldn't transport it right away.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 23, 2010
11:12 AM

Post #8171420

Guess we could put on a class and have some in the different stages already made? I haven't done one myself but would love to try it.
bananna18
Colleyville, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 23, 2010
12:04 PM

Post #8171519

I was thinking winter would be good, but there would be no leaves...duh!

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 23, 2010
3:19 PM

Post #8171801

Yes, the only time we could do it at would be October RU

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

October 23, 2010
6:11 PM

Post #8172048

Those leaf stepping stones? are gorgeous! Great job!

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 23, 2010
6:25 PM

Post #8172077

I don't think the ones I am thinking about would work for stepping stones, they are too thin. Bird feeders, or birdbaths...or just decorative wall hanging.
grits74571
Talihina, OK

October 25, 2010
7:08 PM

Post #8176249

I used screen wire as reinforcement in a couple of mine ,haven't done any this year but plan some later ..I made a mold from Gysum plaster of one of my originals so now I have a EE leaf at all times of the year...

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 25, 2010
8:55 PM

Post #8176468

smart Idea to make a mold grits. Do you spray it with something or just cover with plastic wrap to use it?
grits74571
Talihina, OK

October 26, 2010
6:50 PM

Post #8178237

I am going to make another mold as soon as I go to hobby lobby my next trip to the big city (Fort Smith) It's an ironic kind of thing but I worked for US Gypsum for many years and now have to go to Hobby Lobby and buy plaster ...LOL I plan on a mold from one og the deeper ones as they work lots better for the birds ..Made a couple without any leaves just piled the sand up and made a free form with rocks and pebbles stuck here and there ...

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 27, 2010
11:00 AM

Post #8179494

Grits...what is "og" and are you saying the deeper ones work best?

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 27, 2010
11:59 AM

Post #8179614

I think it's supposed to be "of".
bananna18
Colleyville, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 27, 2010
4:31 PM

Post #8180171

I am getting confused. The molds are concrete and then you make a "negative" from plaster? I like the free form with the rocks! Too bad US Gypsum is not like AA, where if you work long enough the benefits are to have free flights.
grits74571
Talihina, OK

October 28, 2010
5:12 AM

Post #8180903

Right about the og was supposed to be of and if I was near a USG plant I could get freebies ..I like the texture of the leaves best and made the negative so could make some in the winter months ..There is supposed to be a cement that you can mix to make a waterproof BB but some latex paint works pretty good another one that was part of a cascading fountain on my front porch..

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 28, 2010
6:21 AM

Post #8181024

Love that one.

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 28, 2010
6:46 AM

Post #8181054

For those of you interested in making the bird baths, here is a good article about how to make them;
http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/3028/
Josephine.
gretagreenthumb
Wichita Falls, TX

October 28, 2010

Post #8182050

Oh I am so glad I opened this. We are expecting 32 tonight and I still want to make one or two of these -- finally found the patio patch concrete. So I just went out and cut several elephant ear leaves and put in a large jar of water and hope they make it till tomorrow.
grits74571
Talihina, OK

October 28, 2010
6:42 PM

Post #8182153

Couple of hints on the BB making I use a small piece of plywood as a table ,laid across 2 saw horses it is about right to save the back..the second one I ever made I did flat on the ground just got everything pre mixed and then it was pretty easy since you don't have to lift anything up to the table height..Also quite handy is a length of used garden hose laid out on the table into whatever shape you desire and held in place with a couple of wood screws,it makes a sort of form to keep the concrete in place..Also if I want a pebble finish I cover the sand with a plastic garbage bag and unto that I stick pebbles and small stones in some sort of pattern...

TexasPuddyPrint

TexasPuddyPrint
Edinburg, TX

July 26, 2012
6:29 PM

Post #9219871

Bump =^..^=

BajaBlue

BajaBlue
Rancho Santa Rita, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 5, 2012
12:45 PM

Post #9230489

thanks !

Been wanting to try this !
sweetmommy
Fulshear, TX
(Zone 9b)

August 18, 2012
9:36 PM

Post #9246188

So many inspiring ideas!
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 25, 2012
4:49 PM

Post #9253654

Why don't we bump this thread up ? It stopped much too soon and so much GOOD info
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 20, 2013
5:55 PM

Post #9491206

Must have accidentally hit Texas gardening forum and sure glad I did. You gals must stay awake nights thinking of all the uses for the cattle panels. We have cows but have never bought any of them before but sure will now. Florida is a huge cattle production state so I'm sure they are around. Thanks for all your very inventive ideas. I'm married to a retired welder so no problems there.
Happy gardening to all you Texans.

Bonnie in Clermont, Fl.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 20, 2013
7:06 PM

Post #9491306

Many of the cattle down there are from Tx. : )
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

April 21, 2013
7:49 AM

Post #9491750

How about someone smarter than me continue this on a new thread ?

TexasPuddyPrint

TexasPuddyPrint
Edinburg, TX

April 21, 2013
6:22 PM

Post #9492449

Whhhyyyyyy...300 replies and pretty cool this thread is 6 years old :o)

I still have all my livestock fence panel trellises too. They are holding up great!!! I never realized how old they were.

Bonnie...lucky you. Bet you can come up with some great designs for trellises that your husband can weld together!

I always wanted to create one into a hanging box or maybe something like a circle with a shelf/cage to hold a potted ivy or vine. Have a huge oak in the front yard that has great branches to hang stuff from.

Do post photos if you make trellises!!!

~ Cat

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 22, 2013
1:35 PM

Post #9493385

PART II OF THIS THREAD HAS BEEN CREATED. GO HERE:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1308719/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Texas Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
who grows peonies in houston area? vossner 20 Jun 18, 2012 7:58 PM
Texas Invasives List PvillePlanter 18 Mar 14, 2014 5:34 PM
Anyone Up For A Chat? dstartz 29 Jun 30, 2007 5:44 PM
DGrs in SW houston vossner 5 Dec 29, 2013 2:55 PM
Mock Orange in a big pot? mkjones 21 Aug 15, 2011 1:29 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America