Microwave Flower Press??

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Anyone know where to purchase one of these?? and Does anyone have any positive experiences using them.They look really nifty. I stumbled onto a site that had them awhile back but can't for the life of me remember what site it was now.Old age really setting in I guess !LOL
Thanks! Nancy

North Saanich, Canada

Hi Nancy. I have never used these before, but remembered seeing them on the Lee Valley website. Here's the link:

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=1&p=10208&cat=2,50560

Glenda

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Thank You Glenda! Thats not exactly like the one I saw but oh it looks like a really good one! Much nicer than the plastic one.Thanks for your help!
Nancy

North Saanich, Canada

Glad to help. Lee Valley Products are very good. We have never had a problem with anything we ordered from them.

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Gardenridge has microwae silica kits. You put your flowers into the silica and then microwave.
I like them because you can preserve the flower in it's natural shape, instead of flat...
-T

Yorkshire,

Hi Nancy!
Would you be interested in learning how to dry flowers in a microwave without using anything very expensive? If so, send me a dmail. I've dried hundreds of different flowers using my own method (which works fairly well). I use them for cardmaking and bookmarks and they're really pretty.

Terri

Terri-
Please post it here for all of us to see?
-T

Yorkshire,

Hi Seedpicker (and anyone else who might be interested).
This is how I dry my flowers using a microwave.

First of all I would NEVER allow children to do this unsupervised because it can generate a lot of hot steam, so care should be taken at all times.

Take 2 squares of corrugated cardboard about 7 inches square (or depending on the size of your microwave, it needs to be able to rotate.)
You need to make an inner wadding of kitchen towel or something else that is absorbent enough to hold the moisture from the flowers and leaves. I always use 3 or 4 layers of kitchen towel. Cut this to the same size as the corrugated cardboard. Lay one piece of corrugated card onto your work suface and put 3 or 4 layers of the kitchen towel on top of that, then select your flowers and leaves for drying. These must not be too large because large flowers like roses do not dry well in the microwave. I use very small flowers such as violas, primroses and pansies. Some flowers take longer than others to dry and you need lots of patience to do it well.
Lay the flowers and leaves in a single layer and not overlapping on top of the kitchen towel. When they are in place sandwich them between another 3 or 4 layers of kitchen towel and the second piece of corrugated card. Using 2 thick elastic bands to hold the entire thing together you should now have a leaf and flower 'sandwich'. Put it into the microwave for only 30 seconds. Some of the smaller leaves and flowers will be ready after only 30 seconds, others will take longer. If you try to do it for even a few seconds longer you could ruin your flowers and even set fire to the contents, so please do not be impatient. Use your own judgement and after the first 30 seconds repeat in bursts of only 15 seconds at a time (checking after each time, being very careful as you open up the 'sandwich' - you'll be surprised at how hot the moisture from the flowers gets). You should be able to determine for yourselves when your leaves and flowers have dried sufficiently.

As an afterthought:- Be SURE to wash out your microwave after use because it can get very wet inside and remember that the moisture is all from the flowers and leaves you've dried (some could even be toxic). Not wanting to put anyone off, just exercising care and caution. This is how I do it myself.

I'll post some pictures of some of my dried flowers and leaves later. I would love to see pictures of some of your 'results'.
Happy drying!!

Terri

Thank you for explaining how you do that. Seems simple and straightforward.
Will be waiting to see some of your pictures. :0)
-T

Yorkshire,

Some of the flowers and leaves I have pressed using my microwave method.
You can see how well they hold their colours, although they do fade in time.

Terri

Thumbnail by Terri1948
Yorkshire,

More of my pressed flowers.

Thumbnail by Terri1948

Those look really nice, and held their color well...MUCH better than an old phonebook...that is for sure!

Have you tried the silica stuff? That is supposed to be used in the microwave, too, but supposedly you can use flowers with more petals, and also not have to flatten them...
-T

Yorkshire,

I haven't tried using the silica T, mainly because I've never had the need to. The crafts I use the 'flattened' dried flowers for wouldn't work with full blooms. I had to smile when I read your remark about the old phone book. Although not a phone book my mother once inherited a very old, heavy family bible. I'll never forget the excitement I felt as a child, leafing through that bible and finding very old pressed flowers inside. Treasures indeed!!

:o)

Terri

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images